Do You Prefer the Suburbs or the City?

The Big Question 2012/05/12 01:02:53
Related Topics: Suburbs

• Vitalani 2012/05/14 16:48:34 (edited)
    City
    Vitalani
    +5
    Everyone assumes "city" means traffic jams, sky scrapers, and nothing but concrete and apartments. I live in the city and honestly, it looks like a suburb.

syracuse rose garden

syracuse thornden park

syracuse  NY

It's funny, I bet a lot of the people who say suburb actually live in cities and just don't know it. xD

• rph3636 2012/05/24 02:31:24
    Suburbs
    rph3636
    I actually prefer country, surburbs are my second choice, I don't need people climbing all over me nor do I need all the noise.
  • Dave 2012/05/20 05:59:52
    City
    Dave
    I don't even go into the suburbs unless I am driven there. There is no reason to go. Everything I need is within a mile of me.

I find the suburbs a scary place to be.
  • Melissa Ann 2012/05/19 23:39:05
    Suburbs
    Melissa Ann
    But the city life can be FUN
  • Johann 2012/05/19 07:28:15
    City
    Johann
    I live in Albuquerque, access to mass transit to college and shopping and fun things. Suburban life was meh when growing up. Glad I am on my own. :-)
    Suburbs
    But I'm even further out than that. nearest neighbor is over a mile away. :)
  • Elizabeth 2012/05/15 22:20:20
    Suburbs
    Elizabeth
    I live in the suburban area around new york city. XD
  • BackWoodsMike 2012/05/15 02:40:08
    Suburbs
    BackWoodsMike
    Neither! throughout the years I have lived in both..

Now I live in the backwoods (like my name), and don't have to put up with hearing my neighbors toilet flush, smelling their burnt toast (or worse) in the morning, listening to their kids blasting their music, or having one of the so called Home Owner's Association watch dogs snooping around, measuring the grass, checking to see how many garbage cans are put out and at what time they are put out and taken in, or getting reminders that there are only a certain number of colors your window dressing can be, and all the other crap that comes along with living in the city or suburbia.

Now my wife and I have a modest cabin (yes it's a cabin not a house) on 20 acres of wooded property, with a lake at the end of my driveway, a creek the runs my northern property line, and I'm surrounded by several hundred acres of woods.

My closest neighbor is over a mile from my house, and Town (as small as it is) is 18 miles away.

photos here:
    http://www.sodahead.com/user/...

I can fish and hunt on my own property without a license thanks to Tennessee's land owner's hunting license exemption, but of course I must follow the game season calender and use the authorized weapon.

I can hike around my property without nosy neighbors gaping ou...

photos here:
    http://www.sodahead.com/user/...

I can hike around my property without nosy neighbors gaping out their windows at me. I can plant a garden without having to get special permits, I can invite my friends over for a bonfire and pig roast without complaints from the neighbors (in fact they are some of the friends attending), and I can practice with my handgun and long guns legally on my own firing range on my property.

In other words, I live all year round in a place the the City dwellers and Suburbanites pay to take their families on vacation once or twice a year.
  • rph3636 BackWoo... 2012/05/24 02:37:24
    rph3636
    Okay country boy you got the right idea, I do basiclly the same thing.
  • Anna 2012/05/15 02:30:31
    Suburbs
    Anna
    +2
    I've lived in both, and have family out in the country I visit. Cities are just too cramped for me, and it takes to long to get places in the country without a car. I'd most prefer to live within easy walking distance of things, while still living on the edge of town away from most people
  • Craig W... Anna 2012/05/24 03:18:12
    Craig Wilson
    I am basically a City of Los Angeles person, but I loved living outside of Kansas City MO, in Belton MO and Overland Park KS. Kind of country and kind of suburbs, with a big city nearby. I am now retired from DWP Water City of LA govt job. We live in what could be called the suburbs of LA. But I miss running in the snow KCMO and canoeing on the KAW river or small rivers connected to the MO river
  • firebird 2012/05/15 02:22:39
    Suburbs
    firebird
    +2
    City life is too busy.
  • Valerie© 2012/05/15 00:07:48
    City
    Valerie©
    +1
    Cities give you more things to do. I love visiting my family in the suburbs, but cities have an undeniable energy.
  • Johann Valerie© 2012/05/19 07:35:08
    Johann
    +1
    That is what I like about Albuquerque over small town in MD. Had nothing to do on the weekends off work/college. Lived too far from Washington D.C., I hated it there. Living/Loving the next chapter of my life in the west. That and the local music scenes are not too bad, though that could be doubtful sometimes.
  • Night 2012/05/15 00:06:24
    Suburbs
    Night
    It's more peaceful but it's also close enough to the city that I could go whenever I want.
    Plus I can't stand being surrounded by only steel and concrete buildings for so long, I need lots of plant life around me.
  • Texas Gal 2012/05/14 23:33:48
    Suburbs
    Texas Gal
    +2
    Actually I prefer the country.
  • ZB 2012/05/14 22:31:53
    Suburbs
    ZB
    +1
    Neither actually. I prefer the country. Quieter, neighbors are further apart, and I can see the stars instead of city glow.
  • Jeremy Villa 2012/05/14 21:18:51
    Suburbs
    Jeremy Villa
    +2
    I prefer the woods, much better than city.woods citywoods city
  • Rusty Bubbles 2012/05/14 20:52:00
    Suburbs
    Rusty Bubbles
    City life always reminded me of the ~Ant Farm~ way back in grade school
    busy ant farm

Give me the country living and wide open spaces

http://s.sears.com/is/image/S...
  • Dannie 2012/05/14 20:50:20
    City
    Dannie
    +1
    i'm a city girl. I lived in the suburbs a few years but it was boring. You needed a car to go anywhere fun.
  • FencerCat 2012/05/14 20:19:45
    Suburbs
    FencerCat
    +2
    Actually, the country, but if I can't have that, I'll settle for the suburbs. The city's a nice place to visit, but I need to shower off the grit when I get home.
  • steph.cox 2012/05/14 19:53:56
    Suburbs
    steph.cox
    in england it's classed as the countryside and im classed as a hillbilly !!
  • sundance 2012/05/14 19:43:21
    Suburbs
    sundance
    Why would anyone want to live with the noise and congestion. I live in a suburb/town, and I have come to actually think that it might be too loud. I have lived in a few large metropolitan cities, and all I can say to that is "never again"....Just a thought....
  • Adam W 2012/05/14 19:27:30
    City
    Adam W
    +2
    I'd rather live in a city, or in the country, but not the suburbs, because I'd be bored to death. I live in Olympia, so not really the suburbs, but not the country, and not really a big city, either. I like it here.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/05/14 19:25:00
    Suburbs
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    I prefer small picturesque English villages like the one I live in :D
  • Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan... 2012/05/14 19:21:14
    Suburbs
    Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan BN0
    Although I love the city.
  • frank 2012/05/14 18:58:38
    Suburbs
    frank
    Anywhere but the city.
  • Sterling 2012/05/14 18:53:25
    Suburbs
    Sterling
    +1
    Neither.

rural
  • mae 2012/05/14 18:27:06
    Suburbs
    mae
    +1
    I much prefer the suburbs-the further out the better. Having trees, a yard all the way around the house, some space for a small vegetable and herb garden, and awakening to the sounds of birds chirping, an occational rooster crowing--there's one now, that's what gives me peace. Big city living does have its advantages, I don't forget that, but I find happiness best fed by some geographical distance between my neighbors and myself--I don't want to hear their toilet flushing and shower running.
  • Theresa2000 2012/05/14 18:15:16
    Suburbs
    Theresa2000
    +1
    I was raised in Houston so I've had enough of "the city"...I will take suburbs but would much rather have a country home on about 5-10 acres of land.
  • jere.chievres 2012/05/14 18:13:19
    Suburbs
    jere.chievres
    Or a small city.
  • Aly Hart 2012/05/14 18:08:06
    City
    Aly Hart
    +3
    I'd go nuts in the suburbs. Too quiet, too boring.
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/05/14 18:01:50
    Suburbs
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    But it has to be a train ride away from the city.

NY City NY City NY resturants NY resturants NY resturants NY resturants
  • Stef and the City 2012/05/14 17:59:03 (edited)
    Suburbs
    Stef and the City
    There are good things and bad things about both I'm sure. I live in the city in an area that is considered desirable because it's located to so many amenities without all the negatives of living downtown or so you'd think. The once peaceful and pleasant neighbourhood has now become prone to graffiti on the buildings, garbage and thug littered alleys and the low income housing that they put up nearby hasn't helped.Most of the residents living in those complexes can't be bothered to use garbage bags or properly dispose of anything. While taking my dog for a walk I've seen mattresses strewn about, pizza boxes, children's socks...? We are fortunate that we now have the option of building a house on the outskirts of the city because neither myself or my boyfriend's work and schooling will be affected much by the commute. It sucks for the people who have lived in this area all their lives and take pride in their homes and yards, not to mention pay property tax to have disrespectful and unmotivated people come and destroy it all. I love to play in the city and I'll still always be here but I want to be able to escape city life when I've had enough and there's something nice about not having to worry about someone stealing your lawn ornaments or patio furniture...
  • Bulanova (Team Hargitay) 2012/05/14 17:22:48
    Suburbs
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +1
    I LOVE where I am right now! I am literally living on Easy Street - that's my street's name, and it couldn't be more true. I am within walking distance of everything I need from grocery stores (2 24-hours), my choice of gas stations, eye clinics, vets' offices, doctors' offices, etc. I am within 30 minutes of my state capitol, where the best of the best is. Yet here I live in my quiet little home on Easy Street, where it's peaceful enough to hear the birds chirping outside on this blue-skyed summer day. By default, I am in peace and quiet, but if I want, I am just a couple of streets away from city action! I couldn't love it more.
  • ilikewater 2012/05/14 17:11:43
    City
    ilikewater
    +4
    Suburbs freak me out, I don't like the uniformity they seem to have (and the apparent superficialness). They may not be that way, I do not know from experience.
    I don't like all cities (just one or two in particular), but I think I'd take any over the suburbs.
  • Raymond59 2012/05/14 17:06:21
    Suburbs
    Raymond59
    +1
    Honestly, I think that I'd have to pick the Suburbs!
  • ☆WillThompson☆ 2012/05/14 16:59:36
    Suburbs
    ☆WillThompson☆
    +2
    I think you are missing a key demographic. I would have put small town and country as well. When I came home from overseas I moved to a small town/country atmosphere and I am doing better than I would have living in the "city".
  • Stef an... ☆WillTh... 2012/05/14 17:37:29
    Stef and the City
    +1
    Yes, small towns are looking better and better in comparison these days. The small town I grew up in has since become a "small city." It's changed and not exactly for the better either. Along with all the traffic and fancy new stores and buildings going up the crime rate has also gone way up. And well I welcome diversity and people of different ethnicities or most religions I sort of miss the way it used to be. I liked growing up seeing the same familiar faces at the supermarket or the hair salon. I am not looking forward to Tom Cruise's Church of Scientology on every other block beside our charming old chapels at all. Change isn't always for the better, I think we need to preserve our small towns and that simple way of life.
  • ☆WillTh... Stef an... 2012/05/16 21:33:37
    ☆WillThompson☆
    +1
    I concur with your sentiment. I may not have grown up in a small town, but I sure do appreciate it now. My kids make fun of the small town now too, but I am sure as they get older they will appreciate the small college town they grew up in.
  • Stef an... ☆WillTh... 2012/05/16 21:42:14
    Stef and the City
    I'm sure they will too. Who knows, they might even choose to raise their own families there someday.

2014/04/24 19:16:25