Do You Prefer Big Brands or Mom and Pops?

The Big Question 2012/09/18 00:04:41
Related Topics: Pop, Brand, Brands, Mom

• ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆ 2012/09/18 17:20:57
    Mom and Pops
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +8
    Where possible I will support a local/Mom & Pop store over a big chain. I will even pay a little bit more to support the local. But Mom & Pops are going away. Fast.

As an example of the loss we are experiencing would be the local Sewing shop that sells thread, needles, material and sewing machines but are unable to compete with Walmart on prices. People save 3 cents on a spool of thread at Walmart so the do not purchase thread at the local shop. The local goes out of business. We lose the expertize of the Mom and Pop shop and get a Walmart employee that has no clue how a sewing machine works.

By investing in the Mom & Pop shop might just help you out in the future.

• mikeeonly 2012/09/19 17:38:29
    Mom and Pops
    mikeeonly
    prefer mom and pops but can't always afford them
  • Nick 2012/09/19 15:14:27
    Mom and Pops
    Nick
    I always try to support mom and pop restaurants. I'm not a big fan of chains
  • Luke 2012/09/19 10:44:28
    Mom and Pops
    Luke
    Much Better!
  • EmoMcParland 2012/09/19 06:07:44
    Mom and Pops
    EmoMcParland
    Pizza in Chicago; Mom & Pops-Chicken in California; PopEyes pizza chicago mom pops-chicken california popeyes
  • Vision of Verve 2012/09/19 04:34:44
  • Gordon 2012/09/19 01:52:07
    Mom and Pops
    Gordon
    +1
    It is getting harder to find smaller operations with access to good products at reasonable prices. I've not been to a Wal-Mart in a couple of years. We no longer shop at Sears - they ruined that store. Freshfield farms
  • baxter 2012/09/18 21:06:40
    Big Brands
    baxter
    Big Brands
  • Glen McLeod 2012/09/18 20:21:46
    Mom and Pops
    Glen McLeod
    +2
    I actually prefer something in between, like well known regional brands. regional brands
  • mwf122090 2012/09/18 20:11:26
    Mom and Pops
    mwf122090
    +2
    I'm always willing to pay a little more for a quality product. Especially if it's food and we have some excellent mom and pop restaurants around here.
  • NotTargetMaterial 2012/09/18 20:09:16
    Big Brands
    NotTargetMaterial
    +1
    I don't have a job and if I did, it would only be $8/hr doing something I hate. I'm gonna give it to who ever gives me the best deal (Big Brands). Sorry Mom & Pop; I work too hard for my money to spend it in your overpriced shop when I can get more for my money somewhere else.
  • Gordon NotTarg... 2012/09/19 01:56:54
    Gordon
    I understand where you're at. We're down to one income too. But, I still avoid some of the big chains like Wal-Mart & Sears - they are bad here in Orlando, plus we can barely understand their Hispanic and Ebonics employees.
  • NotTarg... Gordon 2012/09/19 06:07:24 (edited)
    NotTargetMaterial
    +1
    Ha. Tell me about it. Last time I applied to Target, they had me sit in the break room to wait for my interview. Almost EVERYONE in it was Hispanic and speaking Spanish. The problem is, it wasn't a Spanish neighborhood. So Target is RACIST and hiring mostly Hispanics for some reason.

Then the person giving my first interview of the day barely spoke English.

I did a lot of research the night before and learned how to answer their questions and what they wanted to hear. I even learned that they grade on a score of 1-10 for each question. I made note cards and gave perfect answers. Then at the end of the interview, I see her going down the list of questions and grading my answers 3, 3, 4, 2, 3.

Two? TWO ??? That made me so mad. I gave a PERFECT answer to that question and someone who just walked off the boat from Venezuela thought "Meh...I'll give that a 2..."

I tell ya, I wanted the smash the "#1 employee" mug on her table right then and there.
  • lolitalovely 2012/09/18 19:48:18
    Big Brands
    lolitalovely
    It depends. Cheap, and convenient stores is in general my favorite though. Walmart and Publix sell everything I need at a low price. I go to the mast general store, not quite a Mom and Pop shop, every year when I'm in the mountains. Sometimes I go to some cute little art shops with cool knick knacks. Everything is really expensive though.
  • Libertys Martyr 2012/09/18 19:46:24
    Mom and Pops
    Libertys Martyr
    +1
    People say they prefer mom and pop according to this survey, but most are clearly not backing their words with their dollars. The chrony-capitalist system will continue to expand if we don't do our best to support local owners instead of the monopolist.
  • Michelle 2012/09/18 19:36:27
    Mom and Pops
    Michelle
    +2
    Of course, if I want to go grocery shopping, I'm going to pick a one-stop location, though I'd pick a farmer's market over a grocer even if it means I have to take an extra stop to get the kind of stuff not sold their because the fruits and veggies and stuff from there is just worth it. I would always buy big brand electronics over "mom and pops" because that's something you'd want to come off a trusted production line, not to mention the tech support, but most local stores that sell electronics do sell the same product as the big name stores-- and with computers, you are calling the company that made it for tech support, not the store you bought it. While I do mostly shop at Brand stores because that's what's available where I live, I do prefer getting things at a place that specializes (as opposed to Wal-Mart) because that generally means better product, has a friendly atmosphere, and gives a unique experience.
  • firebird 2012/09/18 18:54:33
    Mom and Pops
    firebird
    +3
    I try to go Mom and Pop as much as possible. But, When I cant then I have to hit the big Brands.
  • tharealbigjc 2012/09/18 18:46:21
    Mom and Pops
    tharealbigjc
    +2
    Cause A Dude Like Me Wants To Help A Small Business
  • Bo 2012/09/18 18:44:12
    Mom and Pops
    Bo
    +2
    I prefer the Mom & Pops, no question
    It the quality is better, made with love
    the human factor is important to me.
    A international business conglomerate bought
    out a Chicago bakery that had started out as a
    family business that made the best commercial
    chocolate cake of of it's era.
    Under Big Brand leadership the company went bankrupt
    and the cake was discontinued.
    The children never had the heart to tell their father who had
    founded the business
    dee dda
  • Kitty 2012/09/18 18:10:03
    Mom and Pops
    Kitty
    +1
    I actually prefer thrift stores.......cheap and good as new.....many ARE new!!
  • Knot_Rich 2012/09/18 18:09:47
    Mom and Pops
    Knot_Rich
    +2
    Local Mom and Pop stores, if possible, over big box every time.
    These are your neighbors, fellow citizens in your home town, For the most part they spend their profits near where they live, in their home town, supporting their fellow merchants. They hire local people and pay heavily in local taxes, taking some of the tax burden off the homeowners. Most are actively involved in their communities, members of their local Chamber and giving back by doing things like sponsoring little league teams. Yeah, often times the big box will be a buck cheaper, but the payback of supporting your neighbors is far greater.
  • Brendakp 2012/09/18 18:08:06
    Mom and Pops
    Brendakp
  • MissAdventure 2012/09/18 18:07:16
    Mom and Pops
    MissAdventure
    +2
    One word: Quality! Corporations like McDonalds and Walmart are only out for money and if you knew anything about their food/product you won't put it in your body. Not that smaller stores don't do that sometimes, but they aren't as likely to.
  • Joe Blow 2012/09/18 17:59:42 (edited)
    Mom and Pops
    Joe Blow
    +1
    When it comes to restaurants, Mom and Pops hands down. They usually offer more generous portions, and the food generally tastes better than Denny's and other chain establishments. However, when it comes to high-tech things such as musical gear, most Mom and Pop's music stores can't complete with the endless number of name brand instruments, not to mention the ongoing discounts available at Guitar Center, which reminds me, I have to drive over there in an hour :)
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/09/18 17:47:27
    Big Brands
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    We have plenty of corner shops, they're not going out of business, they're just used for quick purchases of things you run out of now. Big supermarkets are better in the quality and variety though.
  • plainasitcomes 2012/09/18 17:45:00
    Mom and Pops
    plainasitcomes
    +2
    you know the people therefore you know what they do to your food.
  • MeiLin 2012/09/18 17:43:44 (edited)
    Mom and Pops
    MeiLin
    +4
    Mom and Pops! Personal Enterprise at it's Best!

Long Live Cottage industries and Family businesses!

• Huki68 2012/09/18 17:40:35
    Mom and Pops
    Huki68
    +3
    of course
  • OneLastWord 2012/09/18 17:38:26
    Mom and Pops
    OneLastWord
    +4
    Mom and Pops, but not Mom and Pops prices. $$$$$$ !
  • maquignon 2012/09/18 17:35:35
    Mom and Pops
    maquignon
    +3
    Really doesn't matter. What counts is quality and that is easier to accomplish in small batches; therefore Mom and Pops usually have better quality than Big Brands but it ain't necessarily so.
    Mom and Pops
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +8

• Cuthbert Allsgood 2012/09/18 17:19:33
    Mom and Pops
    Cuthbert Allsgood
    +7
    Support local business and keep your money in your community!
  • MeiLin Cuthber... 2012/09/18 17:47:23
  • yabbadabbadoo 2012/09/18 16:56:49
    Mom and Pops
    yabbadabbadoo
    +4
    companies like walmart kill the economy
  • Culgan 2012/09/18 16:53:49
    Big Brands
    Culgan
    +2
    Honestly I'd love to support the Mom and Pops stores more but the prices are more often than not extortionate.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/09/18 16:44:33 (edited)
    Big Brands
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    If I need tech support or warranty work at an odd hour, who is going to fix it? Mom and pop? I get INTERNATIONAL service in my laptop, iPod, and Printer because they're all major brands. Brick-and-mortar is a dead business model for retail anyway. If you want to be Mom and Pop, learn how to use the internet.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/09/18 16:40:18
    Mom and Pops
    Just Jenn for Now
    +3
    ALWAYS help support the little man!
  • David 2012/09/18 16:18:37
    Mom and Pops
    David
    +3
    I prefer smaller stores especially hardware stores for most items unless i need lumber or drywall and then the big box stores are the best. The large chains have all but driven out most small stores where I live and these mom and pops are mostly found in remote smaller towns.
  • BigEyedFish 2012/09/18 16:11:53 (edited)
    Mom and Pops
    BigEyedFish
    +3
    I prefer buying from the smaller business

Most of the mom-pop shops around here (in Jersey) are owned by middle-easterners who can barely speak english and do nothing to upkeep the buildings.
  • Rave 2012/09/18 15:48:17
    Mom and Pops
    Rave
    +2
    I think the only "Big Brand" place I go to regularly and buy products from is Starbucks, I just like the look of smaller businesses and cafes more, everything becomes too generic when it's big usually. I can't really help not going to Starbucks since I kind of grew up right next to one and it was practically my other home, so now the nostalgia pulls me back there.

smaller businesses cafes generic starbucks grew practically home nostalgia pulls
  • TombstoneJim 2012/09/18 15:32:41
    Mom and Pops
    TombstoneJim
    +4
    I dislike WalMart.....it cost me a bit more, but I'll go to my local shoe store, grocery store and farmers market for almost everything I want/need.

2014/10/20 13:03:31