Do you live by the Coast or inland?

Wayne TH G 333 2012/07/05 14:29:48
Related Topics: Live
I live by the Coast
I live away from the Coast

• Jack's Pearl 2012/07/05 16:54:18
    I live away from the Coast
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    An hour and a half away.
  • beach bum 2012/07/05 16:41:38
    I live by the Coast
    beach bum
  • Raphy 2012/07/05 16:37:09
    I live away from the Coast
    Raphy
    +2
    It's better to go visit the coast. Not live by it for me......a least.
  • rand 2012/07/05 16:29:29
    I live by the Coast
    rand
    +3
    I quit denying anthropogenic climate change and moved from AZ to cooler climes about a decade ago.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/05 16:56:16
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Were you in Arizona because of their claims of an impending ice age?
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/05 16:58:33
    rand
    +2
    School, then work. Ignoring facetiousness, we left when summers became longer than the other 3 seasons combined.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/05 17:07:18
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    You ignored a very valid point, all the scientists were warning of an impending ice age...now you listen to them about warming? They've even changed the name from global warming to climate change because all the data was making them look like fools. I don't listen to anyone who benefits financially from having the outcome go a certain way.
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/05 17:21:29
    rand
    +2
    The Libertarian scientist and founder of Skeptic Magazine, Michael Shermer, has refutations for all of the arguments against the science (google ESkeptic). IF the flumes of the North Atlantic shut down, we will have an Ice Age. Dichotomous thinking doesn't work well for scientists or any one seeking truth. To ignore the vast majority of climatologists in lieu of Murdoch's minions is simply paranoid. If there is a profession in our society I'd trust most, it is the majority opinion of persons committed to discovering truth. It's a mistake to confuse politics with science.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/05 17:26:04
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    When you get the politics out of it, you be sure and let me know. When you get the intentional results out of it, let me know. Your comment about Murdoch shows me that you have a bias.
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/05 17:31:03
    rand
    +1
    I'm an old Goldwater Republican from when ours was deemed "the party of reason". Scowcroft recently said that he's now a RINO (as has Alan Simpson) saying Republicans have taken to ignoring science. I do sincerely have bias against the absence of reason. " While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean pollution-free environment." Barry Goldwater
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/05 18:07:42
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I don't speak for everyone, I'm speaking as a person who is interested in the truth without all the perversion and corruptness.
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/05 18:15:02
    rand
    +1
    I am a "truth seeker" as well, accepting that it's a lifelong search. Neither of us will find it at any one source. I watch a diverse variety of programs from "The Factor" to Zakaria's "GPS", knowing full well that sayings like "the no spin zone" are just part of the spin. Everyone wants to claim a patent on Truth, but:"Cherish those who seek the TRUTH, but beware of those who find it." Voltaire

“Beliefs come first, explanations for beliefs follow. The brain is a belief engine. … Once our brains connect the dots of our world into meaningful patterns of belief, we look for and find confirming evidence to support them and employ a host of cognitive biases that insure we are always right.” Michael Shermer

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." J. K. Galbraith

“Much of what is narrowly termed “politics” seems to rest on a longing for certainty even at the cost of honesty, for an analysis which, once given, need not be reexamined.” Adrienne Rich

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude." Karl Popper
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/05 18:23:02
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Voltaire should have lived a bit longer to see the real impact of his ideas on mankind.
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/06 01:21:26
    rand
    +2
    I'm not a great fan of Voltaire and would have done well to have quoted very similar sentiments by Proust or Gide: “Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.” Andre Gide

My problem with Voltaire is that he was a political chameleon, but I'm not clear what impact his ideas had. Jefferson was more reliant on Locke in his writings, in my view.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/06 01:41:53
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I meant it in a negative way, his atheism that was instrumental in the death of millions. Jefferson had some transitions in his thinking, also.
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/06 04:44:20
    rand
    I'm not sure Voltaire was atheist so much as a deist, like Jefferson and a number of the educated men of that age. Whose deaths resulted from atheism in that era? Deaths at the behest of Stalin and Mao can't be blamed on Voltaire.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/06 04:50:20
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Jefferson wasn't a deist.
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/06 04:57:42
    rand
    That and a philosophic Christian.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/06 04:58:22
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    How can you be both?
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/06 14:01:10
    rand
    Jefferson edited the Bible (or at least the N.T.) to eliminate inconsistencies and contradictions and found Christ's philosophy to be "sublime". The "Gospel of Thomas", which had yet to be discovered, does much the same. I'm a philosophic Christian and recommend "The Gospel According to Jesus".

As for his belief in God, he never really responded to being called an "atheist" during political campaigns, but then he never answer questions about Sally Hemmings either.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/06 15:30:06
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Another myth about Jefferson. He did no such thing. What he did in the first one was to put together the teachings of Jesus for the Indians. This is his official name for the work that he worked on in 1804.

"The Philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth, being Extracted from the Account of His Life and Doctrines Given by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; Being an Abridgement of the New Testament for the Use of the Indians, Unembarrassed (Uncomplicated) with Matters of Fact or Faith beyond the Level of their Comprehensions."

That spells out exactly what his purpose and goal was. In 1802, while President, he signed a law authorizing the Society of the United Brethren to "propagate the Gospel among the Heathen" in which he provided federal funds for churches, missionaries, and Christian schools among the Indians in the Northwest Territory. The people who believe him to be the father of separation of church and state must gasp when they learn that one!

His work in 1820 was years in the planning and execution and he took a different approach. It was titled "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" and it's intent was to provide an easy collection of the major moral teachings of Jesus.

This is what Jefferson had to say about the rumors about Sally Hemings and all the rest, there were so ma...

This is what Jefferson had to say about the rumors about Sally Hemings and all the rest, there were so many slanders against him at the time.

"I know that I might have filled the courts of the United States with actions for these slanders, and have ruined perhaps many persons who are not innocent. But this would be no equivalent to the loss of (my own) character (by retaliating against them). I leave them, therefore, to the reproof of their own consciences. If these do not condemn them, there will yet come a day when the false witness will meet a judge Who has not slept over his slanders".

As for the rumor that he fathered some or all of Hemings children is another lie that has been put out. The story of the DNA testing mysteriously appeared at the same time of the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal. They first claimed that he fathered the oldest son, Thomas, while they were in France. DNA testing proved that incorrect. Then they released DNA testing that proved he was the father of Easton, her youngest son.

The problem with the DNA testing was that Thomas Jefferson had no surviving sons to test any heirs so they used his uncle. After experts started examining the evidence they quietly withdrew the allegation that there was proof of Thomas Jefferson fathering any of her children. The evidence pointed to his younger brother, Randolph, who spent time there after the death of his wife. He was there during the time of all of her children and after he left she had no more children despite still being young. There were as many as 16 Jefferson men at and around her during those years.

He was not an atheist, he was not even a deist, his beliefs did change throughout his years but if you look at his actions and words there is a preponderance of evidence that he was neither. In fact, most of the quotes that attempt to prove he was are totally taken out of context, especially the famous "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." That comes from a letter he was writing to his favorite nephew telling him that he needs to understand and study the Bible and other works and not merely accept them at face value.

There are so many myths and misconceptions of Jefferson because people, especially atheists, want to take his intelligence and science and make him one of theirs. There is just far too much evidence to the contrary.
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/06 19:48:31
    rand
    What's your source? Mine include "The American Sphinx" and from "The Gospel According to Jesus":
    "Among the sayings and discourses imputed to Him by His biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality,..; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being. I separate therefore the gold from the dross; restore to Him the former, and leave the latter to the stupidity of some, and roguery of others of His disciples. Of this band and impostors, Paul was the great coryphaeus and first corrupter of the doctrines of Jesus." Thomas Jefferson

From the "...Sphinz" whose author who at first adamantly denied his affair with Sally: "The likelihood of a long-standing sexual relationship between Jefferson and Hemings can never be proven absolutely, but it is now proven beyond a reasonable doubt."

We're obviously reading different sources.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/07 02:02:57
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    The best biographies of Thomas Jefferson are the earlier versions, before all the distortions were recorded like facts. There is the 1858 three-volume set by Henry Stephens Randall. It's still highly respected today because he was the only biographer approved by the family and given full access to the family papers, records, family members and family remembrances. You can even be found on-line if you're interested.

http://books.google.com/books...

You can read this explanation of how the Hemings controversy went down and where it's at today. You can verify the sources in the story if you wish, I chose it to give you one of the best overall looks at it. There are multiple verifiable facts about how the DNA testing was flawed from the beginning but it was probably used to try and get Clinton off the hook for his philandering. The timing is not co-incidental.

http://hnn.us/articles/89499....
  • rand Gracie ... 2012/07/07 13:06:03
    rand
    +1
    The quotes used in the appendix of "The Gospel According to Jesus" are from letters to friends including John Adams and Benjamin Rush and make it very, very clear that Jefferson eschewed a literal translation of the Bible and the notions of miracles. He was a scientist, an objectivist. It would be interesting to see if Randall's books included these letters, because otherwise what we get is Jefferson's political face in his quotes. But, though I admire his lauding of Christ's philosophy, I found TJ to be a profound hypocrite. He did some wonderful things for our nation but certainly didn't live up to Christ's message, in my view. The luxurious lifestyle he maintained was on the backs of his slaves and he died deeply in debt.

I'll check out "George Mason U." for its political/religious orientation. The article seems to play heavily on the fact that science is unwilling to make definitive statements about Truth, something I admire. When I google the issue, repeatedly the consensus of historians agree with the notion that Tom fathered Sally's children. We'll not know either way ever ...for certain.

Best wishes to you and yours.
  • Gracie ... rand 2012/07/07 14:30:38
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    The reason historians believe the Hemings story is because the DNA evidence was retracted very silently. It's a proven fact, with DNA, that the oldest one Thomas Woodson is not his. You'll still see many historians say that it is. It's unfortunate that TJ didn't have sons to give the definitive answer with the DNA. It doesn't really matter to me but I hate to see people smeared without proof because it suits their agenda. I'm more in the camp of it being his brother, Randolph. He was there after the death of his wife which included all her child-bearing, except the oldest one and when he left she didn't have anymore children, despite her age and Thomas Jefferson continuously being there. Always good chatting with you.
  • RED DAWN 2012/07/05 16:05:39
    I live by the Coast
    RED DAWN
    +2
    The right coast!!
  • Southern Man 2012/07/05 16:03:47
    I live away from the Coast
    Southern Man
    +2
    I live in the Heart of Dixie Alabama heart of dixie
  • L1 2012/07/05 15:55:16
    I live by the Coast
    L1
    +2
    West Coast!
  • UNEEQ 2012/07/05 15:54:43
    I live by the Coast
    UNEEQ
    +3
    Always by the coast, can not imagine living a long distance from the ocean.
  • ben 2012/07/05 15:52:19
    I live away from the Coast
    ben
    +2
    In the city but 10 min away from the beach
  • artistheweapon 2012/07/05 15:47:51
    artistheweapon
    +2
    Um, both. Though I dont live on the Pacific coast, I live near a coastal marsh and an isolated harbor that gets its water from the ocean
  • waterlady 2012/07/05 15:44:35
    I live by the Coast
    waterlady
    +2
    I live next to the San Francisco Bay.
  • pops 2012/07/05 15:38:18
    I live away from the Coast
    pops
    +2
    Flat lander.
  • Mr.Steve 2012/07/05 15:37:02
  • Queen Katherine 2012/07/05 15:29:32
    I live by the Coast
    Queen Katherine
    +3
    I live on an Island so I'm surrounded by the coast.
  • jacktown kid 2012/07/05 15:21:06
    jacktown kid
  • Lady Winters 2012/07/05 15:20:45 (edited)
    I live away from the Coast
    Lady Winters
    +2
    I'm about 240 miles inland from the coast of Texas. :) It's a long drive but we just went back in April.
  • cheshirewayne 2012/07/05 15:03:52
    cheshirewayne
    +3
    I live by the inland coast. Nothing is a beautiful as a Lake Michigan sunset live inland coast beautiful lake michigan sunset
  • Mr. Rock "n" Roll 2012/07/05 14:59:52
    I live away from the Coast
    Mr. Rock "n" Roll
    +3
    Live in Texas about 150 miles from the gulf of Mexico
  • TheNewBeginning 2012/07/05 14:59:36

2014/07/26 01:10:11