Do You Know Someone Who's Received a DUI / DWI (Driving Under Influence)?

With occasions like Valentine's Day and school graduations coming up, it's no secret that many will celebrate in the form of a drink or two. And while toasting with a glass of wine is typically not a big deal, things get a lot more serious when driving is entered into the equation.

Whether you've been in the car with a driver under the influence or felt a little hesitant driving after a couple drinks yourself, we wanted to gauge your own experiences and opinions about drinking and driving. So let's get to it with this Drinking and Driving Survey. And don't forget to be safe out there, folks.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/Drinking-D...

• RichFromShowMe 2013/02/08 17:13:53
    RichFromShowMe
    +7
    The Congress of the United States (circa 1998) - - 535 members?

*29 have been accused of spousal abuse
    *7 have been arrested for fraud
    *19 have been accused of writing bad checks
    *117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
    *3 have done time for assault
    *71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
    *14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
    *8 have been arrested for shoplifting
    *21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
    *84 were arrested (1998) for drunk driving

Not counting other assorted perverts, liars and scoundrels! These are the guys who make our laws . . . .

Is it worse now (2013)? Probably!

• TheBadOne 2013/10/31 00:28:59
    TheBadOne
    I've known a few.
  • kittycat 2013/10/31 00:11:12
    kittycat
    I know two people who've lost their licenses
  • Wolfie 2013/06/13 21:07:38
    Wolfie
    Personally,I don't think they should "penalize" a person who's "under the influence" unless they have an accident.The states are making sooooooooooo much $ off of these cases when the person/persons were never really endangering anyone.
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/02/18 20:05:12
  • Mo 2013/02/13 20:46:29
    Mo
    More than one.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2013/02/13 18:00:43
  • Random 2013/02/13 15:00:59
    Random
    I'm legitimately surprised at that, too. I know heaps of people who drink and drive.
    Once, I was coming home from my friend's party and this guy was swerving all over the road. Thankfully he was in front of me and I kept my distance. Some people are just stupid.
  • Burning Bright Embers 2013/02/13 14:57:43
    Burning Bright Embers
    +1
    screen jumped. I do know someone who lost his license for 20 years due to drunk driving. And I am acquainted with someone who has had many DUI and never lost his driving priveledges. Guess it depends on who you know.
  • aliycat 2013/02/13 13:03:08
    aliycat
    I don't think so
  • Deb 2013/02/13 12:41:09
    Deb
    A few yes. My Uncle, I've lost track of the number, he has been sent off for them too, NONE are acceptable, nor condoned, but what IS horrific is one of those resulted in an innocent man on a motorcycle losing his life . The uncle was charged with DUI , other charges and vehicular manslaughter. When he realized what happened he lost his mind and attempted suicide. He served almost 10 yrs in a State prison, then an additional 5 yrs of house arrest. He was sober during that time, but like a broken record, license back, couple weeks later, county jail, for DUI. You would think after that fatality, he would have learned SOMETHING! Even though this happened 20-25 yrs ago, I still pray for that man and his family. Now, this is a small town, everyone knows everyone, and everything you do. General Sessions Judge doesn't practice what he preaches. Sends people to jail for drinking and driving, yet he does the SAME DAMN THING. Police "help" him home, car in front, and one follows. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't tuck his sorry azz in bed too. It's disgusting
  • sodajerk 2013/02/13 02:45:42
    sodajerk
    +2
    My mother, my brother, my father, two of my uncles, my dear old grandmama... I come from a long line of distinguished alcoholics.
  • ProudMom 2013/02/13 01:38:13
    ProudMom
    A few people. One, my husband, hasn't had a drink in the 19 years we've been together.
  • TySiharat 2013/02/13 00:26:42
    TySiharat
    Oh.. and I don't even feel sorry for them. yet they still drink like crazy, love alcohol that much. their problems. ain't mine.
  • Lucy 2013/02/12 23:31:33
    Lucy
    My nephew and he is still drinking. How dopey is that and dangerous.
  • Bailey C 2013/02/12 22:44:49
    Bailey C
    I don't understand how DUI's are constitutional. How can Gov infringe my right to get wasted and drive just because I may kill an innocent person?
  • JROD 2013/02/12 20:22:50
    JROD
    My buddy has had a few. He had to wear a bracelet, go to classes, and got his license taken away. He still can't drive until December.
  • alex 2013/02/12 19:53:27
    alex
    My dad has recieved enough to count for many people.
  • Kate 2013/02/12 19:12:22
    Kate
    Actually I know several. My husband's family is full of alcoholics!
  • CAM369487 2013/02/12 16:35:02
    CAM369487
    My older brother
  • The Andoxico 2013/02/12 14:25:35
    The Andoxico
    nope
  • 2789847 2013/02/12 11:26:29
  • 2789847 2789847 2013/02/12 11:26:57
  • Fragile Dancer 2013/02/12 07:26:16
    Fragile Dancer
    too many. I pray they accept their consequences and move on. I can't imagine having to face such a mistake, but it does happen and it doesn't make that person a bad one.
  • Lucy Fragile... 2013/02/12 23:33:06
    Lucy
    +1
    Maybe not, but the one I know went to jail overnight and Still drives after drinking. I think he is shameful and just pray he doesn't kill someone.
  • Shae 2013/02/12 05:35:37
    Shae
    +1
    I know at least 10.
  • TKramar 2013/02/12 02:20:07
    TKramar
    +1
    again--my dad.
  • Tiger!! 2013/02/11 15:49:22
    Tiger!!
    my home boy JT
  • macbeth 2013/02/11 13:01:16
    macbeth
    But he worked as a bar tender, so I guess you could plead extenuating circumstances.
    On the other hand you could say that, of all people, he should have known better.
  • Deborah... macbeth 2013/02/13 06:08:40 (edited)
  • macbeth Deborah... 2013/02/13 11:19:13 (edited)
    macbeth
    You are preaching to the converted. I don't use the term alcoholic and have actively campaigned against the 12 step movement in this country. It has grown in the rehab industry like a cancer and we have America to thank for that.
    I have been prey to the brainwashing that you must be abstinent or die, but have lived to prove them wrong
    The only thing I would question is your figure of 95% control of the rehab industry. In the UK I think it's probably more like 98%.
    So I don't understand why you are trying to tear me a new one: I agree with everything in your post :((
  • Deborah... macbeth 2013/02/13 17:57:58
    Deborah McGrath
    +1
    I am well aware of your excellent insights about 12 step programs. I was addressing
    the schism between the social and institutional sanctioning and funds this cult receives
    and the huge number of people who have had first hand exposure and of course found
    it to be ridiculous and insane (you don't need advanced degrees in psych. to figure
    that out.) I attribute this discrepancy to the self absorbsion and moral and intellectual
    lazyness of this culture. One thing I feel makes 12 steps more harmful than most
    realize is it doesn't just impact those who engage with it. It informs the entire society
    about drug and alcohol use (this has been presented and is taken as medical fact)
    as well as creating the social and moral attitudes the public has about drugs and alcohol. Even those opposed to the program who work to expose and debunk it
    use the same language and operate within the same framework AA has created
    (the exception is Stanton Peele but he uses the term alcoholic.) He and Jack
    Trimpey along with a small handful of others have spoken out against AA and
    created alternative treatment models. Peele has shown the real clinical data about
    the in patient treatment model. It doesn't work, is psychologically damaging and
    is not needed as most people who stop or moderate do so with no treatment
    (it's...

(it's very costly too) but goes on to say and here's my treatment program. We must
    stop defining the success and happiness of a life on abstanance vs: use and we
    must stop moralizing about drugs and alcohol. These are false constructs. I've
    heard %s from 93-97 for 12 step based rehab in the states but 95 is the most common.
    As there are now the non 12 step alternatives I mentioned which may not be
    available in the UK this may explain why you are still at 98%. The 12 step programs
    have their roots in the temperence and prohibition movements of late 19th and early
    20th century so the moral and psychological underpinnings of 12 steps resonates
    with the American psyche because of our cultural and social history so you sure do
    have America to thank for 12 steps infiltrating your society. Back to all those who have seen first hand what 12 steps really are, if someone were selling poisonous (and
    make no mistake 12 steps are poisonous) snake oil door to door in your town and you
    knew this would you just say no thanks close the door forget about it and get on
    with your business or would you warn others and maybe call someone in a position
    and with the authority to do something. Mac you are the only one amongst all the
    avid 12 step opponents who have studied this issue extensively and in many cases
    dedicated their careers to this cause not to use the term alcoholic. Though the
    medical industry has adopted it it was invented by prohibitionists in the 1890s for political purposes. As I said it's meant to shock and stigmatize (the hard cees have a
    very harsh sound.) Many people identify drinking as their problem because they
    are told it is their problem when their problems are their problems drinking is a symptom
  • macbeth Deborah... 2013/02/14 12:38:01
    macbeth
    I never came across anyone with a real addiction problem who did not have underlying psychological issues. They use drugs and alcohol to self-medicate for their emotional state. The primary problem is never the substance use itself.
    I guess that's why there are so many miserable 'dry drunks' around in society and, even more so within the 12 step movement itself. They are taught that contentment will come simply from being abstinent and following the steps.
    The way I see it they spend the first part of their lives being drunk and the second part being not drunk: the obsession with the substance remains, even if they are not drinking/using.
  • Deborah... macbeth 2013/02/14 18:01:52
    Deborah McGrath
    +1
    This is exactly what I mean about the fixation on use vs: abstanance being a
    totally false construct and this is a direct result of the gross misinformation
    about drugs and alcohol 12 steps have spread through the society. People
    who take to the 12 steps for any length of time are either vulnerable and naive
    (these people end up very hurt and psychologically damaged as a result of
    their involvement) or sick punitive meanspirited abusive bullies who relish the
    power they have over others having been essentially given the role of mental
    health care provider. This is the most irresponsible model of health care I have
    ever seen. The organization hides behind its " Anonymity" to avoid any
    accountability (a therapist with the suicide rates of AA that are directly linked to
    AA would be under serious investigation.) Those with any kind of psychological
    and or intellectual development can't really mesh with the nonsense that is 12
    steps. The disease model that attributes all of the behavior and psychology
    of anyone with substance abuse issues soley to the substances informs
    society's understanding of and reaction to drugs and alcohol. Not only is this
    factually very incorrect I take moral and philosophical issue with it. First of all
    it obviously precludes healing and insight for the underlying psych...

it obviously precludes healing and insight for the underlying psychological
    and life issues. It is fascist, puritanical and repressed and cheapens the
    human condition and experience. 12 steps do more damage than what can
    be seen on the surface (and that looks outrageously horrible too.)
  • macbeth Deborah... 2013/02/14 18:19:25
    macbeth
    Trouble is, they are now so immensely powerful and influential by virtue of their reach into all aspects of the addiction treatment field, it's hard to see what us ordinary mortals can do about it.
    I have known personally at least 2 people who committed suicide within weeks of leaving 12 step rehabs. One was a medical doctor, who was harrassed into attending meetings by the other doctors in his practice. Of course, he 'relapsed' within a fortnight and, such was his feeling of guilt, he committed suicide via carbon monoxide. The response of the rehab where he had been 'treated': "That's what happens when people don't do what we tell them to do". (i.e. go into a half way house run on 12 step lines).

Any ideas you have to combat their influence greatly appreciated.
  • Deborah... macbeth 2013/02/14 19:35:07
    Deborah McGrath
    First of all this needs to be outlawed in our health care systems. There
    is more than ample evidence and a huge body of clinical research and
    data that clearly shows the real effects of 12 steps. Anyone who tried
    to peddle this totally unscientific scam in any other area of health care
    would be in jail. It's outrageous that the medical establishment has
    sanctioned this and that billions of dollars of our health care resources
    have been co-opted. The medical establishment (and US courts) should
    be ashamed of themselves. US courts have almost unanimously ruled
    forced 12 step attendance is a violation of our 1st amendment right to
    religious freedom finding the programs to be overtly religious despite
    the organizations claims that the program is spiritual not religious.
    They have outlawed forced 12 step attendance but continue to see the programs as well intentioned, effective and helpful to many people.
    Unfortunately I have a case of involuntary commitment (72 hr. observational hold thanks mom, the hospital refused to contact the 2
    PHD psychologists for whom I offered contact info but wanted to call my
    mother as they knew she would tell them I belonged there, I am in my mid
    40s and have no history of psychiatric hospitalization) the crux of which
    (and of course my civil rights were violated the ...

(and of course my civil rights were violated the federal government
    considers involuntary commitment de facto incarceration there have
    been many fines and sanctions leveled against hospitals and a congressional investigation in the early 90s found people were essentially
    being kidnapped and given treatment they didn't want or need) shows
    that 12 steps are not real treatment (the "treatment" was virtually all 12
    step meetings I refused all psychiatric meds while I was there.) I was
    locked up and given 12 steps as treatment (I also told them I didn't
    believe in 12 steps.) We need a court examination of the programs
    and a ruling that this is not real mental health care. I begged Stanton
    Peele who is the guy to do this (he is a psychologist and a lawyer and
    has been researching and writing about addiction since the late 70s)
    to step up his presence in the public via mainstream media and get the
    truth out. That hasn't happened. We need a massive public education
    campaign about the lies 12 steps have told and presented as proven
    medical fact and the real clinical findings (these are the conclusions of
    every study and there are many)about drug and alcohol use and abuse.
    There are finally people publically speaking out against 12 steps but
    they still use the loaded12 step language and operate within the same
    framework. So abstinence is still the goal and the substances are still
    the issue and problem but 12 steps are not the way to get "clean and sober." The public has gone from it's the only way(the 12 step assertion)
    to it's not for everyone(it's not for anyone) but it works for a lot of people.
    This is probably the largest scale case of medical fraud (that's what it is,
    fraud and we have laws against that) in US history. I will send you
    Dr. Peele's e-mail address and the details of my 72 hr. observational
    hold (if this is a fatal disease locking someone up against their will also
    becomes justified,our teens are now being targeted.)This is truely evil.
  • macbeth Deborah... 2013/02/14 19:56:50
    macbeth
    Thanks for that.
    I was vaguely aware that US courts had found that 12 steps was in fact religious in nature.
    It sounds as if you have been through something of a nightmare. It is extremely difficult when you find yourself fighting against ill-informed, if well-intentioned family members.
    I have heard of Stanton Peele, and it certainly seems like he would be a useful advocate against 12 step fascism.
  • Mdlily macbeth 2013/02/15 04:44:40
    Mdlily
    I agree with you. I had serious issues. I was in and out of the psych ward but could not really succeed in receiving medication from the county while I was living out of my car. I got my DUIs bam, bam bam. I had to spend 8 months in prison. In prison, I was refused help for alcohol abuse. When I came out, again I had problems but at least I wasn't driving. My family treated me terrible. Murderers in prison were treated better by their families than I was by mine. I was tired of failing at getting sober. I would head to AA and the stigma I felt had me seeking relief in the bottle. I was at my end. I gave myself one last shot to at least empty my house so my landlord would not have to. Then I would go to a hotel and kill myself. That time I sought mental health help. I stayed out of a program to avoid drama and stopped going to AA because it was making me drink. I have over three years sober. I didn't have to kill myself. The thing that was different was getting mental health help and having a quality living environment. This disease kills so many. Rich people can't buy a cure. And yet I lived! Good for me!! And f driving. Gas is expensive and my disability check won't bend that far.
  • Lillsista 2013/02/11 07:38:28
    Lillsista
    Several people!!
  • nicesteve 2013/02/11 05:32:46
    nicesteve
    +1
    I've known several, and it wasn't a pleasent senario for any of them.
    They became well aquainted with the insides of transit buses, light
    rail and subway cars, trolleys, and commuter trains before they finally
    got their licenses back.
  • Depp78 2013/02/10 23:50:05
    Depp78
    +2
    way too many people. I am not one of them. If I get a DUI, then someone check the expiration date on my OJ and get me to an ER, I never drink or do drugs so something I ate has gone terribly wrong.

2014/12/22 01:36:43