Do You Know How Much A Government Driven Car Costs To Drive?

concerned dude 2012/03/07 12:38:10
I Think the idea of the car is so cool I'm buying one
I had no idea it the car was that impractical
Chevy Should go back to the drawing board and politicians should get out of the car business.
GM Should Pay back The Taxpayers $25 Billion
I think...
Cost to operate a Chevy Volt
Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.
For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine. Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.
So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.
I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.
Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile. The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.
So the government wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 7 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

• AM 2012/03/07 14:53:38
    Chevy Should go back to the drawing board and politicians should get out of t...
    AM

+1
    And they should also pay back the TAXPAYERS every penny of the Green Subsidies they got of Taxpayer Funds too ..
    Needless to say .. at the cost of the Volt .. the inability of it to meet the needs that I have .. it will never be in my driveway at all ..
  • Bronar 2012/03/07 19:28:44
    Bronar
    +1
    Government Motors, what did you expect.
  • AM 2012/03/07 14:53:38
  • Flowers 2012/03/07 14:40:03
    I think...
    Flowers
    +1
    This was done a few days ago on sodahead, using the same article. I believe the consensus on THAT poll was the Electricity calculations were off, which messed up the rest of the mathematical equation. For example, my kwh cost is 6.27500 cents for fuel but there is also a charge for fuel, same amount. Adding those two up, it's still only 12.55 cents per kwh used (up to a certain amount of kwh obviously) so the calculation of $1.16 is extremely high.

Re-doing the calculation (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
    16 kwh x .1255 per kwh = $2.008 to charge the battery. $2.008 per charge divided by 25 miles = $.08032 per mile to operate the volt using the battery.

This next part "Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile. The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000." I can't try and compare because I don't know where the author obtained the calculations to reach $15,000 and $ 46,000.

It's misleading. I don't like being screwed by the government, BUT I'm starting to get very annoyed by all these lies spreading around. I got an email today about HR 4646 claiming there would be a 1% transaction tax on any purchases, any deposit or withdrawal starting the firs...

It's misleading. I don't like being screwed by the government, BUT I'm starting to get very annoyed by all these lies spreading around. I got an email today about HR 4646 claiming there would be a 1% transaction tax on any purchases, any deposit or withdrawal starting the first of next year, and that it was supported by Obama and pelosi. I dislike both of them but It was false. However, It was very convincing till I looked up the details. People need to STOP lying.
  • Farnsworth 2012/03/07 14:20:09
    Farnsworth
    +1
    Math and common sense, thou art a bitch
  • Flowers Farnsworth 2012/03/07 14:40:28
    Flowers
    +1
    the calculations are wrong
  • Farnsworth Flowers 2012/03/07 15:09:57
    Farnsworth
    +2
    The base is 39K, but a dealership caring a base car...I don't think so. So 46K is a good number.
    http://www.gm.com/content/gmc...

You can pick up 15K Toyota that gets in the 30's

kw/h is going to vary on location, so the stated numbers may be good in that location.

all in all, I'm not going to defend the volt. Not going to defend GM because they took Obama money. It's also a fact that Volts have caught fire while charging, so to me it's not worth the risk.

Also with Obama trying to kill coal and every other way to generate electricity, except "green" energy, they isn't going to be a place to plug them all in.

If I have to get a "green" car, I'll get a Prius. My cousin gets 55 mpg on hers, beats the crap out of a Volt and it's considerably cheaper
  • Flowers Farnsworth 2012/03/07 15:23:13
    Flowers
    +2
    I would never buy an electric car in this current state either. Mainly because it's ridiculous to buy an electric car to "be green" when you are plugging it into a power source that burns fuel for energy. Defeats the whole purpose IMO. What if they integrated solar paneling into the design of the car? flexible panels that fit on the hood, the side doors, maybe even the roof too. I think that would be worth the 46K, not a battery that only goes 16 miles on a full charge and STILL needs unsustainable fuel source (from the power plant) to charge.
  • Farnsworth Flowers 2012/03/07 15:57:48
    Farnsworth
    +2
    Solar panels are expensive and can be damaged. Imagine running through a hail storm. Even at top efficiency, panels output in Watts, so it would be just a trickle charge for the battery.
  • Flowers Farnsworth 2012/03/07 16:32:10
    Flowers
    +1
    boo... the damage issue would be a deal breaker even before the problem of not enough charge in a quick turn around was dealt with. I think there are other, more effective options being thought of, but they are being stifled b/c of the massive loss of revenue that would result.
  • Rore73 2012/03/07 14:17:29
    Rore73
    +2
    This car is as big a joke as Obama is!
  • concern... Rore73 2012/03/07 17:37:15
    concerned dude
    +1
    LOL. They are kind of similar. Weak, inefficient, and costly.
  • luigi1- in god we trust 2012/03/07 13:47:59
    I think...
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +1
    Here's the total cost to taxpayers...an arm, a leg & the 1st born for generations to come because this also includes the bailout of the UAW union retirement fund.

http://ecoramblings.com/wp-co...
  • Wahvlvke 2012/03/07 13:45:49
    Wahvlvke
    +1
    Only an idiot would build this car ... promote this car ... lend on this car. That would be obie.
  • Bozette 2012/03/07 13:16:39
    I think...
    Bozette
    Good breakdown on the costs in both time and dollars using the battery. I would add that no one ever mentions the fact that somewhere the energy to recharge the battery is produced...

We are likely to see more bs about how great Chevy's version of the Edsel is, however, as it has been named the "European 2012 Car of the Year". It is sold over there as the Opel Ampera.
  • Cathy 2012/03/07 13:09:51
    Cathy
    I definitely won't be buying one; I'll stick to what I have now!

2014/04/16 07:50:04