Do You Know Anyone Who's Been Involved in an Accident Involving Someone Driving Under the Influence?

SodaHead Living 2013/02/08 01:28:44
With occasions like Valentine's Day and school graduations coming up, it's no secret that many will celebrate in the form of a drink or two. And while toasting with a glass of wine is typically not a big deal, things get a lot more serious when driving is entered into the equation.

Whether you've been in the car with a driver under the influence or felt a little hesitant driving after a couple drinks yourself, we wanted to gauge your own experiences and opinions about drinking and driving. So let's get to it with this Drinking and Driving Survey. And don't forget to be safe out there, folks.

drinking driving

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/Drinking-D...

• Urchyn 2013/02/09 18:34:05
    Urchyn
    +7
    My cousin was driving home from Florida when he stopped to help a man whose van had broken down alongside the interstate. He was leaning over the engine of the van when along came a drunk driver who hit him, took off the side of his head, killing him immediately. It was so ironic that this happened to my cousin because he was a miserable drunk hisownself. Of course the person who killed him had no insurance, after all who has ever heard of a responsible drunk? They should all rot in jail and never be allowed to drive a vehicle of any sort ever again. I hate drunks!

• Theresa2000 2013/02/14 13:34:03
    Theresa2000
    Of alcohol, yes. Too many to count.
  • FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK 2013/02/14 12:50:54
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Saved him ( luckily ) .
  • Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/14 00:36:59 (edited)
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    My Husband...Hit and Killed by a drunk driver while on his way home from work.... The drunk had passed out at the wheel...( thats what he told the police when they arrived at the accident... ) he was in a truck and had run a red light and broadsided my husbands car... knocking it a block down the road into someones front yard... the police didnt even know it was there until a woman came out of her house to walk down to see the accident... and saw my husband car sitting in her front yard
  • Sailor Jerry [Proud Liberta... 2013/02/13 22:16:58
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    one of my favorite aunts was killed by a drunk driver.
  • Hales 2013/02/13 21:01:02 (edited)
    Hales
    +1
    15+ years ago my father, a police officer at the time, was waiting at a red light when some drunk slammed into the back of his (Dad's) police car. My dad had serious neck and back injuries and was forced to retire.

My dad's career gone in one night, all because one guy decided he wanted to get wasted and take his chances.
  • michael mclean 2013/02/13 18:56:47
    michael mclean
    +4
    Me when I was 12 doing my paper round at 5am a driver under the influence t boned my bike and left me with a compound fractured tibula and fibula, fractured knee cap and thigh as well as a smashed ankle. It also have me a broken wrist, hands, elbow, shoulders, pelvis and plenty of crunched ribs. I had never seen so much blood. The driver sped of and left me for dead but was found with his battered and bloodied car 3 hours latter and proven guilty and he was still drunk from the previous night
  • Moonage 2013/02/13 18:48:43
    Moonage
    +1
    Me and a car load of people, six in all, were sideswiped by a kid smoking a doobie while he was driving last summer. To make it all that much better, he didn't have insurance. My insurance company promised me they'd garnish his wages. I'm not really banking on him having a real job at this point.

A very good friend of mine died shortly out of high school driving stoned. He left behind two kids by two women.

A man I respected more than anyone else outside of my family retired and died shortly after driving drunk.

My uncle was nearly killed by a drunk driver 20 years ago.

My car died when I was in college and I pulled it about ten feet off the road. A drunk guy subsequently hit it doing probably 60 mph. Knocked it several hundred feet into a tree. If I had been in it, I would have been dead.

Some people I knew were coming back from a concert. They were drunk out of their minds and driving excessively fast on the interstate. Traffic was backed up and they decided to go around the traffic on the emergency lane. The traffic was backed up because of another wreck. They missed the wreck but hit the rock embankment. All four died.

A friend of mine's kid was coming back from a night of partying. They decided to pass another car and pulled into oncoming traffic. Six people died.
  • jay 2013/02/13 17:19:28
    jay
    Yes, me.

At 5:00pm on February 2, 2010, I was driving my wife's car to the mall. I noticed in my sideview mirror a big Grand Cherokee approaching fast in the left lane, so I stayed in the right lane to allow him to pass. Unfortunately, when he got beside me, he decided to bounce off the center divider and catch my car in the left quarter panel, sending me airborne and eventually sliding down the road on my roof. Got a fractured breastbone and a few broken ribs out of it.

The dude's BAC was one of the highest ever recorded in the town where it happened. On a Tuesday at 5 o'clock in the afternoon.
  • Random 2013/02/13 14:19:22 (edited)
    Random
    Yes. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. Yay!
  • Sterling 2013/02/13 04:44:59
    Sterling
    Is it drunk driving awareness week or something?
  • thomas.bogan.5 2013/02/13 01:21:50
  • Jen 2013/02/12 20:13:01
    Jen
    one person i know injured someone, and i know someone who killed their significant other
  • 2789847 2013/02/12 19:33:14
  • ♥K14 2013/02/12 19:07:10
    ♥K14
    I know several, and knew a few that are no more.
  • johnnyg 2013/02/12 18:24:04
    johnnyg
    And I know someone who's been in an accident NOT involving driving under the influence.
  • Mytstar... johnnyg 2013/02/14 00:45:18
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    so whats your point.... that people get in accidents even if they are not drinking? while that is true... drinking and driving is irresponsible and is NO ACCIDENT... Its Reckless endangerment at the very least... and Murder when someone is killed
  • johnnyg Mytstar... 2013/02/16 18:01:04
    johnnyg
    that is the point. An accident is an accident. Murder is a PLANNED killing.
  • Mytstar... johnnyg 2013/02/16 18:12:44
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    The Merriam -Webster Defines Murder as "The unlawful killing of a Person" and FYI Murder does not have to be Planned... a 1st degree conviction for murder requires a premeditated planned killing... but 2nd degree Murder does not require a PLANNED killing...
  • johnnyg Mytstar... 2013/02/16 18:31:15
    johnnyg
    Whatever. An accident is manslaughter.
  • Mytstar... johnnyg 2013/02/16 19:28:03
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    Only if there is no Malice or Aforethought involved...
  • pepper5419 2013/02/12 17:34:36
    pepper5419
    Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of a one car crash that killed 5 teens.A woman offered to take home 8 stranded teens that had tried to call a mom or dad and other friends to come pick them up at about 1am on a wintery early Sunday morning.The woman was way over the legal limit put all 8 teens into her 5 seat car.They figured she was doing at least 70 mph in a 45 when she lost control and spun out and hit a telephone pole sideways.Four of them were ejected and four teens died at the scene one passed way a couple days later.Let your kid know to call you no matter what time it is,no questions asked policy.You can figure that out later.Nothing more important than just getting your teen home in one piece.
  • Todd Parsons 2013/02/12 17:13:42
    Todd Parsons
    They should Ban Alcohol
  • Sailor ... Todd Pa... 2013/02/13 22:19:54
  • Mytstar... Sailor ... 2013/02/14 00:52:16 (edited)
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    Drinking was the downfall of the Native Americans ... and it is the down fall of others too... to bad people "Dont Get That"
  • johnnyg Sailor ... 2013/02/16 19:53:15
    johnnyg
    Ban EVERTHING!!! It will work this time!!
  • Sailor ... johnnyg 2013/02/17 02:38:31
  • johnnyg Sailor ... 2013/02/19 16:52:27
    johnnyg
    Yeah!! Ban him too!! He looks scary!!
  • Mytstar... Todd Pa... 2013/02/14 00:49:05 (edited)
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    You dont know how much I wish people would wise up and stop drinking .. it is such a waste of time and money..and I am speaking from tons of experience of my own
  • Sailor ... Mytstar... 2013/02/14 17:03:34
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    so you'd want to ruin it for everyone because you couldn't show a little self control?
  • Mytstar... Sailor ... 2013/02/15 15:43:45 (edited)
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    I am speaking as a widow of a dead husband that someone else who couldnt show a little self control Killed by drinking and driving.... Of course I am sure the guy thought just like you ....up until the time he passed out at the wheel and broadsided my husbands car and killed him... Yeah sure.... He was ok to drive... just ask him! he was fine... no problem Right!! Sure ... as long as its someones else's loved one that dies...... hope you get the chance one day to see if it "ruins" it for you ... and everyone in your family....Forever !
  • Sailor ... Mytstar... 2013/02/15 23:44:31 (edited)
  • Mytstar... Sailor ... 2013/02/16 00:37:06 (edited)
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    I simply stated I wish people would wise up and stop drinking...and maybe figure out whats lacking in their life that they need to self medicate with drugs and alcohol ... and why catching a buzz is something to look forward to... BTW I dont support a ban... I think people should make that choice for them selves
  • American Girl 2013/02/12 16:46:33
    American Girl
    My grandfather and father in-law.
  • Phyllis Murphy 2013/02/12 15:20:21
    Phyllis Murphy
    +2
    Yes a brother and husband killed early in life due to drunken drivers....
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/12 15:04:27
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I used to drive drunk as a young adult. There were several drunks in my family, booze killed my mom, sister and brother. Alcohol is a good way to kill or be killed.

I may have an occasional beverage now and then, but it's a rarity with me now. Booze isn't a fun activity, it's just life and money pissed down the drain.
  • Lovatic135 2013/02/12 14:13:38
    Lovatic135
    +1
    My dad used to drive drunk all the time. When I was little he'd put me in the backseat and just drive around, way over the speed limit. I didn't understand what was happening at the time but now I'm so thankful we never killed anyone or got into a crash.
  • lol fakename 2013/02/12 13:46:15
    lol fakename
    +1
    Luckily he only wound up with a shoulder fracture, but I'm sure he could've lived without it.
    I would be totally comfortable with harsher punishments for drunk driving. You should have to re-earn your liscense by dodging cars on the freeway.
  • dairyshark 2013/02/12 13:24:08
    dairyshark
    +1
    A couple friends went out to celebrate the birth of a son. My friend was with his sister-in-law when he killed them both in an alcohol stupor by hitting an oncoming car.
  • Mr.Steve 2013/02/12 12:08:42
  • Sailor ... Mr.Steve 2013/02/13 22:21:30
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    +1
    i hope you reported it anyway.

2014/04/20 21:05:39