Do You Judge People Based on Their E-Mail Addresses?

Do you still have an AOL e-mail address? You're probably an overweight person who has never left the country. Prefer G-mail? Breathe a sigh of relief: You're relatively cool.

According to a Hunch.com survey of 700,000 users, people can be easily stereotyped based on their e-mail domain. Here is a summary of some of the site's findings:

G-mail

--Users are most likely to be thin young men ages 18-34 who are college-educated and not religious.
--They tend to be politically liberal, single and childless.
--They live in cities and have traveled to five or more countries.
--They're career-focused.
--They read blogs, have an iPhone and laptop and listen to music via MP3s and computers.

Yahoo!

--Users are most likely to be overweight women ages 18-49 who have a high school diploma and are spiritual, but not religious.
--They tend to be politically middle of the road, in a relationship of 1-5 years, and have children.
--They live in the suburbs or in rural areas and haven’t traveled outside their own country.
--Family is their first priority.

AOL

--Users are most likely to be overweight women ages 35-64 who have a high school diploma and are spiritual, but not religious.
--They tend to be politically middle of the road, in a relationship of 10+ years, and have children.
--They live in the suburbs and haven’t traveled outside their own country. Family is their first priority.

Hotmail

--Users are most likely to be young women of average build ages 18-34 (and younger) who have a high school diploma and are not religious.
--They tend to be politically middle of the road, single, and childless. Hotmail users live in the suburbs, possibly still with their parents, and have traveled to up to five countries.

That said, Hunch also points out that the truly young and hip don't even use e-mail much anymore, except as a gateway to social networking. And what's so cool about G-mail anyway?

Do you judge people based on their e-mail addresses?

Read More: http://blog.hunch.com/?p=34824

• runningintriangles 2011/03/15 21:49:28
    runningintriangles
    +6
    I have a Gmail address as my main address, but I also have one from university that I occasionally use as well (myname@utoronto.ca).

Well, lets see, I am between the ages of 18 and 34, and am currently in the middle of a post-secondary degree, and I'm an atheist... but I'm a woman. I suppose I'm "liberal," but, to be honest, I'm more moderate than anything. I am single and childless because I like being single and I work with children on a daily basis and don't want my own. I live in a city and have travelled to more than five countries. I am career focused. I rarely read blogs, I don't have an iPhone, I do have a laptop, and I listen to music digitally as well as on CDs and vinyl.

So over all? 10/14... so mostly accurate.

• bboppitybop 2011/08/03 17:20:36
    bboppitybop
    are you SERIOUS??
  • Alden Loveshade 2011/08/03 16:57:03
    Alden Loveshade
    I use my own domain name for email and have a personalized email address. Does that make me a person?
  • AlyWhite 2011/08/03 00:16:46
    AlyWhite
    --Users are most likely to be young women (yes)
    of average build (no)
    ages 18-34 (and younger) (yes)
    who have a high school diploma (yes)
    and are not religious. (eh. i believe in god.)
    --They tend to be politically middle of the road (no)
    single, (yes; though only for the last month. previously i was in a realtionship for over 4 yrs)
    and childless. (nope)
    Hotmail users live in the suburbs, (nope)
    possibly still with their parents, (you got me)
    and have traveled to up to five countries. (nope)

ya only got four, buddy.
  • Lexandrea 2011/04/25 02:53:19
    Lexandrea
    I'll admit, I have. But what am I suppose to think when I see xxx_sexykitten_xxx@hotmail.com or something. Or 69_smitten_69....If you don't want me to think of you as a whore-ish person or kinda slutty, than don't have an e-mail address like that.
  • ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana P... 2011/04/20 13:31:54
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    I have Yahoo.

Not accurate:

- I'm not overweight.
    - I don't fall in the age range of 18-49.
    - I don't have a high school diploma because I'm too young.
    - Family isn't my first priority.
    - I'm not in a relationship of 1-5 years. (Only 6 months. =P)
    - I don't have children.

Accurate:

- I'm spiritual but not religious.
    - I'm politically moderate.
    - I live in a suburb/rural area.
    - I haven't traveled outside of the country.

Overall, 4/10...not so accurate.
  • Ron 2011/03/29 12:08:14
    Ron
    Some time I think their E-mail names are a little weird or strange but now-a days almost everything you choose is being used by someone else. I got upset after entering 20 or 30 names in my computer and said "This is really getting on "my last nerve" So I tried it... and It worked.. so for many years I've been ....
    MyLastNerve@
  • SHINeeGirl 2011/03/29 04:39:06
    SHINeeGirl
    I have a GMail and a yahoo..... I'm 12.... Nuff said
  • rosesvengeance BN-0 2011/03/23 11:49:40
    rosesvengeance BN-0
    this is absurd, so just because I use aol I'm age 35-64 lol. I'm 25. Oh and I also have a College degree! I have been outside of my country thank you very much. The only things that are true about their stereotype is that I put my family first and I tend to be more spiritual than religious. I consider myself Christian but I don't tend to go to church, I believe in God and Jesus.
  • Ticka 2011/03/17 13:52:00
    Ticka
    +2
    Do people do that?! A word "shallow" just got a different meaning.
  • Ariel Skipper 2011/03/17 13:13:05
    Ariel Skipper
    It actually depends on what they say that will make me mad or pissed off
  • Razzy Ratchets 2011/03/17 13:10:50
    Razzy Ratchets
    +1
    Ahahahahaaa! This is so absurd, it hurts.
  • Izzy! 2011/03/17 10:49:31
    Izzy!
    I really don't
  • Izzy! Izzy! 2011/03/17 10:51:45
    Izzy!
    +1
    I have a gmail, hotmail and msn email.
  • Nudenz 2011/03/17 10:28:21
    Nudenz
    I hate to thing I would get judged by what I put in some emails. Or, online, for that matter.
  • liu dress 2011/03/17 08:27:05
    liu dress
    Evening dresses are always associated Wedding Dresses with Silk Gowns the brides and evening dresses are always associated Corset Gowns with Back Gowns the brides and their bridesmaids Simple Gowns with Bridesmaid Dresses the brides and their bridesmaids Fashion Dresses with Colored Gowns the brides and their bridesmaids Beautiful Dresses with White Gowns the brides and Formal Dresses with Sexy Dresses the brides and their bridesmaids Evening Gowns with party Dresses the brides and their bridesmaids and Cocktail Dresses with Short Gowns the brides and their bridesmaids Club Dresses with Cocktail Dresses their bridesmaids are always associated Sweet Dresses with Prom Dresses the brides and their bridesmaids.
  • JO 2011/03/17 08:08:09
    JO
    +1
    I'm on AOL, simply because it can hold all the graphics I have.
    I'm not over weight and have a B. A. in Art.

And have traveled out of the country.
    I'm a very, very curious person, by nature.

So, that' flattens that "theory"

I'd like to be on Earthlink, but they can't hold the graphics I have.

Any other "theory" you'd like me to ruin ;-)

JO
  • AP 2011/03/17 07:50:28
    AP
    +3
    I should have a G-mail account, but I'm stuck with all the overweight 40-something year olds at Yahoo.

Just kidding, the only time a judge a person by their emails is when they send FW: FW: FW: FW: Funny Story! emails to me every day.
  • Nattie 2011/03/17 06:44:58
    Nattie
    I think such a thing is a stupid way to judge people, I mean I have a yahoo account and their profile doesn't fit me at all exept I am 24 which is between 18-49 but that leaves alot of age ground to cover.
  • No
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    +1
    I found nothing written about the particular email service I use that would describe me at all. lol
  • Your Majesty Queen Fire 2011/03/17 05:45:56
    Your Majesty Queen Fire
    no i don't
  • An 2011/03/17 04:55:20
  • blushn1980 2011/03/17 04:26:38
    blushn1980
    +1
    My husband is a dirt race car driver, so I was trying to tie in an email with it so It's dirt_ball88. I was thinking dirt clumps not a dirt bag.
    My uncle has his cats breed...exoticshorthair
    So no I don't judge.
  • Soldier... blushn1980 2011/03/17 06:02:29
    Soldier4Christ82
    That's cool :) My uncle is in a go kart pit crew :)
  • Cloaked_In_Darkness 2011/03/17 03:33:33
    Cloaked_In_Darkness
    Who sends e-mails anymore?
  • shadow76 2011/03/17 03:29:34
    shadow76
    +1
    That is totaly ridiculous. Stop trying to categorise people.
  • Vaius 2011/03/17 03:14:29 (edited)
    Vaius
    +1
    I use G-Mail. Let's see if I fit.

G-mail

--Users are most likely to be thin young men ages 18-34 who are college-educated and not religious. -Well, no, I'm 15 and I'm not really thin.
    --They tend to be politically liberal, single and childless. -Yeah, I would say that.
    --They live in cities and have traveled to five or more countries. -Well, I haven't really left the country, but I can't afford to either.
    --They're career-focused. -I'm pretty focused on my career. I would say yes.
    --They read blogs, have an iPhone and laptop and listen to music via MP3s and computers. -Can't afford an iPhone or a good laptop, but I do listen to music through my computer.
  • Mickeyva 2011/03/17 03:11:38
    Mickeyva
    WOW! reading his stereotyping this group is off their freaking rocker. :( What idiots. Wonder how many people they have managed to tick off?
  • Megs 2011/03/17 03:02:38
    Megs
    It sort of depends.
  • Tim St. John 2011/03/17 02:11:38
    Tim St. John
    +1
    no way ! NOW we judge people not only by their race, religion, sexual orientation, or financial status....but now by an e mail addrress !!??
  • Stone1101 2011/03/17 02:11:25
    Stone1101
    Especially when I am looking to hire someone new. If the person has not taken the time to create a proffesional email address then I wonder if they will over look other little details.
  • ashley. 2011/03/17 01:17:27
    ashley.
    I have a Gmail, I'm a female, not 18, I'm religious I'm a Christian, No iPhone, I'm single but I'm only young! so hey just this stuff right here doesn't mean its true! what kinda question is this!
  • SykPuppy 2011/03/16 23:20:00
    SykPuppy
    It may occasionally cross my mind in a professional setting, but certainly not in a personal one.
    When you think the INSANITY can not stoop to even lower levels of inane-ness ..

Looks like now ... it has exceed it by 'labelling' people based on (of all things) -- e-addresses!
  • kingsleytin 2011/03/16 22:42:54
    kingsleytin
    i dont even give people my email whats the use
  • Bay 2011/03/16 22:40:23
    Bay
    +1
    although i am all of the things under gmail(i have gmail)besides a man ages 18-34. thats cool.
  • Linda 2011/03/16 22:37:40
    Linda
    Oops...blind as a bat today...read the question wrong. It's a NO!
  • DavidAdams 2011/03/16 22:06:23
    DavidAdams
    +1
    I admit to being a G-mail snob, though I tolerate those with the lesser of email domains. Charity is very important to me. AOL is for for the ma and pa set, whereas Yahoo has become a rather kinky email to have. Hotmail, well I just like anything with the word "hot" in it, and Excite use to excite me back in the day.
  • knowerseeker 2011/03/16 21:37:16
    knowerseeker
    +1
    "Do you still have an AOL e-mail address? You're probably an overweight person who has never left the country. Prefer G-mail? Breathe a sigh of relief: You're relatively cool." -- Not in this way though. If your e-mail looks like professional_andor_witty@what... then you're cool. If, however, it's 1337XXX69@whatever.com, then you're a dumb kid.
  • knowers... knowers... 2011/03/16 21:43:51
    knowerseeker
    I have an ISP-provided e-mail address (no, it's not AOL) which my wife and I use for personal business, a work e-mail which I only use for work, and a Google e-mail which I use for non-business personal use. I like Gmail because Google is on the cutting edge of free cloud computing with Google documents (which I use for personal use), etc, and I'm a computer professional (not to mention a bona fide geek). I'm not into social networking like Facebook, but my wife is.

2014/10/24 04:10:12