Do you have friends/family who do not share your religious beliefs? If so, how have you been able to work around the differences and still maintain a good relationship?

ANGEL 2013/01/20 21:27:26

On SH I have almost 600 friends, and probably 98% of them do not share my
religious beliefs. I met many of them on the polls about Scientology–and most do not share my beliefs. Some said some pretty derogatory things until
we ‘talked’ and were able to see past the differences, clear up
some misunderstandings, and move on to find things that we had in common. While
we still disagree on many things, we have been able to gain a greater
understanding. Had we not pushed through those barriers, then I would never
have gotten to know them, and I think I would have missed out as there are many Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans etc., who are my SH friends who I really

admire. I have often said that in my life I am surrounded by people from all
walks of life, and find that my life has been enriched by knowing them.

Do you have friends and family members who do not hold the same religious
beliefs as you do? If so, how have you been able to work around the differences and still
maintain a good relationship?

• Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2013/01/20 23:09:40
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +3
    My mother, father, one brother and his wife are Catholics. Another brother married a Jewish woman. Myself and the fourth brother are Atheists. Most of my extended is Episcopalian and most of my friends are Christians of one type or another. I have a close friend who is Buddhist and two who are Wiccans. All the political persuasions are also represented. (I suppose I represent the gays.)

We discuss religion, politics, and anything else with out anger or name calling. Jokes are made and no one gets offended. We are not special and it's not that difficult.

It comes down to love, respect, compromise, and basic good manners. (just like it always does.) Having the right to say something doesn't mean you should. Sometimes it's your turn to compromise. Being right is not always what matters. Etc...

It's not rocket science. :-)

• LockiNinja 2013/12/15 10:04:46 (edited)
    LockiNinja
    +1
    Everyone in my family are Christians. How do I work with them? I don't share my beliefs. As a matter of fact, they don't know I'm agnostic.
  • Roberto 2013/01/21 12:16:34
    Roberto
    +2
    My family are conservative, Bible-toting, (insert negative stereotype here) Christians who booted me out of the house for my sexuality. Only my mother loves me and she wants to divorce my dad over this, but is impeded by her faith.
  • ANGEL Roberto 2013/01/21 14:28:54
    ANGEL
    +1
    That is really sad, Roberto. My guess is that it isn't that only your mom loves you - but your dad is just so impeded by his faith, that he can't get by that. I hope you stay true to who you are and surround yourselves with good caring friends.
  • Hirnungah Mancandy 2013/01/21 06:33:41
    Hirnungah Mancandy
    Yes ; It's not discussed . I gag while they pray and they don't ask me to do it .
  • HillaryLover 2013/01/21 05:34:11
    HillaryLover
    +1
    Frankly, the differences in our religious beliefs have strained our relationships. We all grew up as Baptist, but some have switched to other denominations that I don't agree. So to avoid arguments on the subject we stay clear of religious issues.
  • No One 2013/01/21 03:00:04
    No One
    +1
    Yes My brother and I are the only atheists in my familly and we rarely talk about religion. I have been an atheist for year but my brother has only recently become an atheist so I'm not sure if my being an atheist influenced him at all or whether he became an atheist independently of me. Most of my friends on SH and in real life are Christians as most people I know are Christians.
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2013/01/20 23:25:13
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    We simply agree to disagree, and move on.
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +3

It's not rocket science. :-)
  • ANGEL Chris- ... 2013/01/21 14:32:17
    ANGEL
    +1
    You are an inspiration, Chris. You are correct - it isn't rocket science. You said it perfectly: "It comes down to love, respect, compromise, and basic good manners. (just like it always does.) Having the right to say something doesn't mean you should. Sometimes it's your turn to compromise. Being right is not always what matters."

I applaud you!
  • Cellar Door 2013/01/20 23:07:13
    Cellar Door
    +1
    I'm an agnostic atheist and so is my sis. Even when everyone in my family was Catholic we weren't super religious or anythin, we don't talk about that kind of stuff with each other. I only talked about this kind of stuff with my mom last October? and she didn't have too much of a problem with my lack of beliefs but I still think she wants me to be Catholic. I feel bad for my mom tho because she's the only one with Christian beliefs in my house (I don't think my dad is a believer either) omg.
    So we don't really care about the differences because it's not something we really talk about with each other alsdkjf
  • SA 2013/01/20 22:43:26
    SA
    +1
    After my Mother died I left the religion I was raised in. Two of my brothers completely quit believing in anything they could not see, feel or hear. Years later I became a Christian, although one brother told me it was just a fad. Although I was hurt by those words I never tried changing my one brother's point of view.

As years went by, I just prayed for them. I didn't pray they would change to my beliefs. I just prayed out of love for them. My brother found out he had Cancer. I still did not pray he would see things as I do. One day after a call to him I just told him he would be in my prayers. I had said this only once before and he asked me not to bring up my beliefs. This time he told me "thank you sis."

As I grew in my beliefs they were the ones who noticed my change. I had become kinder, more compassionate in my everyday life. When asked of me what was different I just replied "God."

When there is darkness or trials in my life my family finally saw that I walked the walk. I didn't need to just talk the talk. They became as accepting of my beliefs as I was to them.

My only sister recently had surgery for skin Canccer in her ear. She also had to get reconstructive surgery to make her ear look somewhat normal. As with my brother before, I just try to lead by setting an...

My only sister recently had surgery for skin Canccer in her ear. She also had to get reconstructive surgery to make her ear look somewhat normal. As with my brother before, I just try to lead by setting an example. I told my sister we would be praying for her. She also told me "thank you and I love you." which she hasn't said for quite awhile.

Accepting my family where they were at in their lives worked for me.
  • ANGEL SA 2013/01/21 14:36:09
    ANGEL
    +1
    Beautiful, SA! Thank you so much for sharing that. Although I only know you through SH, your beauty and inner peace is evident. You certainly do 'walk the walk'. Obviously, your family recognizes that and appreciates your love. How lucky they are to have you.
  • SA ANGEL 2013/01/21 15:13:31
    SA
    +1
    Thank you ANGEL. Without my inner peace I would not be able to shine.
    be the light
  • Straud1976 2013/01/20 22:41:46
    Straud1976
    +1
    It's easy, either don't talk about that stuff or we have a good sense of humor. people that get bent out of shape because of disagreements I think are very weak in their faith.
  • Debra Smith 2013/01/20 22:19:04
  • Kidasha 2013/01/20 22:15:43
    Kidasha
    +1
    I come from Portugal which is VERY Catholic and I'm just...not. My family kept trying to get me to recite prayers and everything and I just tell them. It's not what I believe. Eventually they accepted it and left me alone. We don't talk about religion much now
  • Simone Seitz 2013/01/20 22:05:29
    Simone Seitz
    +1
    My Sister. But the reason she is an atheist is because she want's to make my dad angry. So I don't know as though she really is an atheist. I just kind of ignore it. I don't really care. She's a big girl. She can make big girl choices.
  • foy49 2013/01/20 21:59:14
    foy49
    +1
    We accept each other as we are.
  • Arianne 2013/01/20 21:55:31
    Arianne
    +1
    My family is mostly Catholic, very Catholic. My friends are pretty all over the place. Many are Christian, a couple of Buddhists, quite a few Atheists, a sprinkling of Agnostic. Internet friends vary and I have no idea what they believe for the most part.

I have learned to not discuss religion with my mother because she's still very disappointed in my sort of Deistic approach. (Or at least I think thats what it is, some say its Agnostic Theist.) I still go to Church occasionally if everyone else is, just so we wouldn't have to face the ah...awkward conversation if I were to refuse. I will never admit to no longer being Catholic to any of my other relatives, unless I have no choice. With friends we all accept and respect each other, so we can discuss and debate all we want and we'd be okay.
  • lucythetooth 2013/01/20 21:54:42
    lucythetooth
    +1
    My Mom is religious, I'm agnostic. We've agreed to disagree.
  • Carol 2013/01/20 21:52:40
    Carol
    +1
    Most of my family/friends have religious beliefs that differ from mine. If they can't be as accepting/respectful of my differences as I am of theirs, I have no place for them in my life. I don't try to change anyone, that's all I ask in return.
  • Miss Kris the Centrist 2013/01/20 21:44:58
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    My whole family is LDS like I am, but most my friends aren't, and we get along just fine. We just respect each others' beliefs and are able to freely discuss them without feeling attacked or preached to.
  • kmay 2013/01/20 21:40:16 (edited)
    kmay
    +1
    Sure. We are able to agree to disagree and move on in loving one another no matter what.
    I pray for all.
  • JwonGalt 2013/01/20 21:36:34
    JwonGalt
    +1
    Well essentially my entire family is Christian
    And I am not lol.
    And its simple, i only go to churches for weddings and funerals (or Halls for Jehovah witnesses)

Other than that, I generally do not talk about religion with my family

Friends on the other hand I do, all of the people that I consider friends with the exception of 2 christians, are either Atheists, agnostics, Gnostics, buddhists, or Muslim
  • HearnoEvil 2013/01/20 21:35:41
    HearnoEvil
    +2
    yes. But, I don' let that get in the way, just because they think differently than I. I still know they're good people.
  • ehrhornp 2013/01/20 21:35:07
    ehrhornp
    +1
    There are few Quakers around. Generally don't talk about religion with others outside of Sodahead or other on line communication so it doesn't come up.
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2013/01/20 21:33:23
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    +1
    I have many friends and family members who do not share my spiritual beliefs. While I do not consider myself part of any religion in general, much of my family is Christian, Roman Catholic to be specific. My best friend is an Athiest and I have other friends both in real life and on SH who are Wiccans, Muslims, Buddhists etc. I learned to have good relations with them.
  • Alice Burrows 2013/01/20 21:32:42
    Alice Burrows
    Real Friends or Sodahead friends? I think most of my real-life friends share my religion, but I only knew that after we became friends. I don't know about my Sodahead friends, I don't really look into it. If they're nice, I'll add them : )
  • Depp78 2013/01/20 21:32:33
    Depp78
    +1
    I don't have a lot of people that share my religious beliefs, thinking on it, I just don't talk about theology unless someone asks me a direct question, which I am happy to answer.
    +1
    many one of my best friends has no beliefs
  • ♥K14 2013/01/20 21:31:04
    ♥K14
    +3
    I don't know the religious beliefs of most of my relatives, which seems to work.

although, unless they ere part of some obscure cult that routinely sacrificed babies and kittens, I doubt their beliefs would concern me at all... I'm quite tolerant of such things.
  • ANGEL ♥K14 2013/01/20 21:33:12
    ANGEL
    +2
    Good points. I can certainly understand your concerns about sacrificing babies and kittens. (LOL)
  • Depp78 ♥K14 2013/01/20 21:34:48
    Depp78
    +1
    would it be okay to occasionally sacrifice a kitten? (oh, I am just playing around with word play! I do actually know what you mean) smile today

2014/11/27 23:17:08