Do you have a garden?

Pele Emerging 2012/06/14 22:16:50
Yes, I have a vegetable garden and a flower garden.
I have flowers and landscaping only.
I have containers outside.
No garden for me!
I am not particularly fond of weeding and the work, but I am very fond of fresh produce, especially fresh tomatoes. So, after much delay, my garden it being transferred from containers to the strip I have for it. It's a little strange--a 2' by 110' strip along the back fence. It allows me plenty of room, though, for vegetables and herbs. I have perennial herbs, like lavender, sage, lemon balm, catnip (the cats try to eat it right down to the ground, but it appears to have established itself), rosemary, and usually add basil and oregano, along with vegetables--tomatoes (I know it's really a fruit), peppers sweet and hot, sweet onions, summer squash (yellow zucchini is my preference), and butternut for a winter variety.

I did NOT prepare the ground last fall. My daughter got married in October, so I was sort of preoccupied with that. Now, I'm paying for it. I think, though, I will have raised beds put in next year. It will mean having someone raise the underground sprinklers, which will be a pain, but I think it will be work it in the long run.

raised garden beds

• kfallslady 2012/06/15 02:05:44
    kfallslady
    +1
    I have flowers, strawberry's, a few herbs and Garlic. Ever heard of hening chickens, I have those too
  • Pele Em... kfallslady 2012/06/15 02:08:19
    Pele Emerging
    Hens and chickens? Like these?
    hens chickens
  • kfallslady Pele Em... 2012/06/15 16:08:37
    kfallslady
    +1
    hens and chickens mine are like this.
  • Pele Em... kfallslady 2012/06/15 18:32:51
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Yes, some get more yellow/red. Funny, but it seems to do more with climate and soil, as I've seen them be put in green like yours, but end up yellow/red.
  • kfallslady Pele Em... 2012/06/15 22:31:37
    kfallslady
    +1
    wow..interesting, I live on the coast or southern coast of Oregon, we get alot of rain and doesn't more than 65, maybe 70 in the summer, we hardly ever freeze
  • Pele Em... kfallslady 2012/06/16 01:03:19 (edited)
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    And here I though you were living in Klamath Falls. ;)
  • kfallslady Pele Em... 2012/06/16 01:32:55
    kfallslady
    +1
    sorry didn't change my name cause everyone knows me by this
  • Pele Em... kfallslady 2012/06/16 02:07:00
    Pele Emerging
    LOL! I used to live in Oregon, but Portland area--am in south central WA now. I hope to be moving to the Vancouver area, though. My daughter, son, granddaughters (two of 'em), and best friend are all in Portland area. I have to stay in WA at least until I retire and then will want to do it because I won't want to pay taxes on my retirement in OR, but it would be nice to be closer to family. My son who lives near me now would actually like to move to that area, too, so I could have it all. :)
  • kfallslady Pele Em... 2012/06/16 15:44:34
    kfallslady
    +1
    I'm not fond of Portland to big a city for me I like small towns, Gold Beach is about 3000 pop.
  • Pele Em... kfallslady 2012/06/16 21:08:02
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    and it's on a lovely part of the Oregon Coast, too.
  • kfallslady Pele Em... 2012/06/16 23:57:54
    kfallslady
    +1
    thank you...
  • Pele Em... kfallslady 2012/06/15 18:33:45
    Pele Emerging
    You just reminded me that I need to put in some garlic. I planted onions all around my other plants, but I really want some garlic, too.
  • kfallslady Pele Em... 2012/06/15 22:32:47
    kfallslady
    +1
    I planted Garlic last fall so this Aug. or Sept, I can get my garlic :)
  • Pele Em... kfallslady 2012/06/16 01:04:29
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I put in some Walla Walla sweets. Hopefully, I'll have some by the end of summer. Yummy onions, but not good keepers.
  • Flor de Luna 2012/06/14 22:21:58
    Flor de Luna
    +1
    I don't have much of a vegetable garden.Just some carrots,squash and cucumbers.Also some melons.I prefer flowers.
  • Pele Em... Flor de... 2012/06/14 22:25:36
    Pele Emerging
    I like both. I have roses, lilies, lavender, snapdragons, and echinacea in my front garden, but the back strip only has lavender, along with the veggies.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/06/14 22:19:57
    I have flowers and landscaping only.
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    And two apple trees, and lots of rhubarb plants...
  • Pele Em... Anonymo... 2012/06/14 22:27:10
    Pele Emerging
    I wish I had some fruit trees. My house is sitting on what used to be a cherry orchard, but they pulled all the trees out before they build the houses. I'd love to have a peach tree--my favorite summer treat, and possibly an apple. I love cherries, but the trees are finicky.
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/06/14 22:18:06
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    and containers ... i made myself pretty sore last weekend in the garden and it was good!
  • Pele Em... Mark In... 2012/06/14 22:22:52
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I'm making myself very sore today. Yesterday it was the blasted lawn, but today, I can't put off the garden any longer. I think the cats already ate the catnip plant, but the old one, which was eaten down to the ground last year, seems to have risen from the ashes and established itself. I'm going to go get some of the hoard into the ground and take the cultivator to more of the strip. In theory, a two foot garden doesn't seem like it would be bad, but it's 2 feet deep by 110 feet long. I've just barely touched it, but I'm going to hire some young strong back to weed around the herbs and strawberries.
  • Mark In... Pele Em... 2012/06/14 22:24:45
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    " I'm going to hire some young strong back to weed around the herbs and strawberries."

the young strong ones can take care of bushes too ...
  • Mark In... Mark In... 2012/06/14 22:24:54
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    [ha ha ha]
  • Pele Em... Mark In... 2012/06/14 22:31:01
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Oh....sorry....didn't get that double entendre (grin).

I like mature gardeners to tend my personal garden.
  • Pele Em... Mark In... 2012/06/14 22:29:59
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I've got to get most of it done before I take off on Sunday or Monday. My kids got me tickets to three plays at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, so I get a vacation next week. I'm going to do what I have to do today, then see about getting a strong back in need of money to do the rest when I return. I'd made the mistake of putting landscape cloth down, which grass seems to absolutely love!
  • Mark In... Pele Em... 2012/06/15 00:37:14 (edited)
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    sounds like a great weekend!

i didn't notice that you were far enough along in life to have children ...
  • Pele Em... Mark In... 2012/06/15 00:52:55
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    My youngest daughter married last fall. Now, I did get married at 19, so I married far too young, but the lowering thing isn't that my youngest child is married, but that her older brothers have kids, which makes me a grandmother. The good news about that is that grandchildren are a whole lot more fun than your own kids. Too bad you can't have them first.
  • Mark In... Pele Em... 2012/06/15 20:37:52
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    if we had grandchildren first, we might not appreciate them as much as we do after having kids ...

i waited a while to marry and now i'm pushing 60 and there are no realistic prospects for grandchildren any time soon ... which is just fine with Mrs. Mark in Irvine, but not so great as far as I'm concerned.
  • Pele Em... Mark In... 2012/06/16 01:11:17
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I'm sort of glad I had my sons when I was pretty young. I am young enough to keep up with and appreciate my grandchildren. Last summer we went to a regional amusement park and had a blast. I talked my two granddaughters into going on a roller coaster which has some underground tunnels. As we're climbing up that first hill, there was a real "What were you thinking?" moment. Still, we had a very good time.

In a lot of ways, it's nice to be young enough to still have a lot of life left in me, but have no kids at home. Daughter married last fall--she was the last, and she only lived at home because a) she'd moved back in when her dad left to give me moral support, and b) after she became engaged, her then fiance/now husband was in the army and getting sent to Afghanistan. He told her to stay with me, until he got back, as a just in case for her. Fortunately, he came back unscathed and is now beginning school to get a degree in electrical engineering. Mer begins her masters program this fall and eventually wants a Ph.D.
  • Mark In... Pele Em... 2012/06/16 01:17:58
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    sounds very good, over all!
  • Pele Em... Mark In... 2012/06/16 01:19:11
    Pele Emerging
    Well, I hope your kids don't make you a grandfather before you're ready to be one!
  • Mark In... Pele Em... 2012/06/16 01:25:04
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    Amen to THAT!

I've hit them over the head so many times with "the talk" that I seriously doubt that they would become parents before THEY are ready: they have to get educated, get working, and be able to support the mom and the child and hopefully be married, because it is just too hard on everybody not to be married and fairly settled down.

of course, i'd love the kid (and i'm sure my wife would love the kid) no matter what, BUT for some situations/experiences a person owes it to him/herself (and especially to the kid) to be PREPARED. My 2 sons are not prepared.

I, on the other hand, am ready to be the grandfather and treat the grandkids and have them sit on my knee and all that stuff ...
  • Pele Em... Mark In... 2012/06/16 01:30:34
    Pele Emerging
    I beat my kids over the head, as well. I talked as long and hard with my sons, as I told them not to expect or trust that a partner was really taking care of birth control. Birth control rarely fails, if both people are doing something. My daughter, because she would end up being the one responsible, also received lots and lots of information. Unfortunately, she ended up allergic to both latex and spermicide.

It's too bad that there isn't an effective male birth control method, other than condoms. Too many men just won't use them. Often, it's those guys who end up with their partner's BC failing, or worse, ending up with a partner who lied about it.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/06/14 22:17:21
    I have vegetables only.
    HarleyCharley
    +1
    I love to garden...
  • Pele Em... HarleyC... 2012/06/14 22:24:05
    Pele Emerging
    I love to do it when I haven't neglected it. The grass has really gotten a hold in it, and it's being a real pain to get out--worse than the weeds, but I haven't gotten down to the Russian thistle patch yet. :(

2014/10/23 09:39:21