Do You Find Weird Stuff at Your Parents' House?

Ever walk into the basement of your parents' house and wonder why there are boxes upon boxes of weird nick-nacks and more than a few cases of too-old-to-be-good boxed wine? Well, you're not alone.

On a trip to his mother's house one day, Brooklyn-based comedian Joel Dovev noticed more than his fair share of wacky items. With a freezer full of uncooked meat in the cellar and a menorah, dreidel and shofar on the mantel (Google it), Dovev soon realized that that the stuff at his parents' house was just too weird not to document.

So he decided to start a blog about it, aptly titled "Crap at My Parents' House."

Asking people to play along and submit their own stories with pictures, Dovev started receiving more submissions than he knew what to do with and he realized he wasn't alone and something phenomenal was afoot.

Now, he's taking the best of his submissions, providing captions to each ridiculous photo and making a book out of it.

"It’s one of those things that no matter where you grew up or what era, everyone can relate," Dovev told the New York Daily News. "We’ve had submissions from around the globe from people of all ages."

Do you always find weird stuff at your folks' house? Share your stories -- and snap a picture next time you're in the area.

• JDHARTLV 2011/09/13 01:25:54
    JDHARTLV
    I find weird stuff at my house, who doesn't have something weird.
  • Brother Bo 2011/09/12 23:28:58 (edited)
    Brother Bo
    I found some weird 50's porn on 8mm movie tape in my step-father's brief case in the attic. I felt obliged to get rid of it before my mother found it.

PS: I'm not posting pictures... you perv!
  • wpsark 2011/09/12 20:34:05
    wpsark
    other than an obese dog and/or cat, nothing really weird

obese dog andor cat weird obese daschound

obese dog andor cat weird obese cat
  • sylviaplatt 2011/09/12 16:28:43
    sylviaplatt
    I once found a very small-waisted corset of the tie-behind variety in my parent's attic. My mother was not the generation that wore such things.
  • Ruger 2011/09/12 05:39:49
    Ruger
    My mom would put the hoarders to shame. mom hoarders shame hand cranked cream sperator
  • shadow.wolfe 2011/09/12 03:55:20
    shadow.wolfe
    ALL THE TIME...
  • KittyKat 2011/09/12 03:52:28
    KittyKat
    My mom has a book of prayers to cast away demons and stuff. I'm like that is freaky cool. lol mom book prayers cast demons freaky cool lol prayer book cast away demons

Thats the book ^
  • Sierra Voltaire 2011/09/11 21:30:31
  • LJmommy 2011/09/11 21:20:34 (edited)
    LJmommy
    I would find it when I was a kid, I don't really snoop around my mom's house now as an adult.

As a kid I remember finding,real handcuffs (I don't even want to know or think about it!!!), a home electrolysis machine, which isn't too weird but looks absolutely bizarre to a child who has no idea what it does, several old photos with a person posing for the camera with a paper bag over their head and a smiley face drawn on it, oh...and a welder's flint, which to a child, looks like a giant weird safety pin....click on the blue "more" to see the weirdness.

Share

Share

Sharegiant weird safety pin httpkpel965 comfiles2011 httpimg ehowcdn comarticl paper bag over the head

Sharegiant weird safety pin httpkpel965 comfiles2011 httpimg ehowcdn comarticl welder s flint welders flint child giant weird safety pin share share home electrolysis
  • Joann 2011/09/11 20:26:16
    Joann
    either that or they hid it really well.
  • Anna E 2011/09/11 19:13:54
    Anna E
    Oh, yeah. When I was a kid, Mum used this cone thing to make vegetable shavings. Looked like an overgrown pencil sharpener. It worked great for crayons too big to fit into a pencil sharpener. :D
    It looks a little bit like this:
    http://www.cookware.com/asp/s...
    She also has a gadget that pops the pits out of cherries. And I swear it's older than dirt. Here's one that looks like it but it's probably stainless steel:
    gadget pops pits cherries swear older dirt stainless steel

I can't tell you how many weird tools my Dad has. But then he works at a hardware store. lol
  • BonnieDeutsch 2011/09/11 15:27:30
    BonnieDeutsch
    +1
    I come from a long line of "collectors of weird stuff." You name it and it has probably been
    collected by my grandparents, my parents or me. Right now I am in the throngs of collecting wax seals. Crazy you say, could be to you, but there are some pretty amazing
    wax seals out there. When you see how very long ago they were used and how they were use. It's a history study in it's self. What might be interesting is not to just judge your parents by what "weird stuff" they have laying around, BUT ask them why they own it !
  • ♥NinjaKittenLovesYou♥ 2011/09/11 14:33:22
    ♥NinjaKittenLovesYou♥
    the stuff i had when i was 5
    5 bunny bear
  • EmmaMarie1995 2011/09/11 10:14:00
    EmmaMarie1995
    +2
    I live there and I found my mum, dad and sister,, does that count?
  • Cody 2011/09/11 09:49:18
    Cody
    +1
    my mom has an odd obsession with fake plants lol...

not just one or two...there are a ton of them and they are in the weirdest places too
  • RYCB 2011/09/11 06:26:40
    RYCB
    nope. nope nope
  • SpOoKs! 2011/09/11 06:13:56
    SpOoKs!
    +1
    LOL can you spot the woman in this picture? The big hairy thing warring chains?
  • LeAnn 2011/09/11 06:13:13
    LeAnn
    I find myself there. Seems weird enough.
  • DeejaySpaniel 2011/09/11 04:56:39
    DeejaySpaniel
    Me.
  • Zila 2011/09/11 04:13:29
    Zila
    +2
    Yes, but a good deal of their odd possessions were gifts from me.
    The mannequin head in the aquarium, the giant nutcrackers around the toilet, and the electric singing fish all over my Dad's bedroom wall were more or less my fault.
  • blackrings70 2011/09/11 01:46:39
    blackrings70
    More like my house. I'd post some pics but I can't find the battery to my camera.
  • aldeshsa 2011/09/11 00:34:32
    aldeshsa
    Yes, their kids.
  • Louis 2011/09/11 00:02:12
    Louis
    +1
    My moms a neat freak! She throws out everything!
  • ♫Alex Marie Armstrong Hoppus♫ 2011/09/10 23:51:32
    ♫Alex Marie Armstrong Hoppus♫
    no THAT I KNOW!!!
  • tiger in disguise 2011/09/10 21:48:34
    tiger in disguise
    +3
    Lol well disturbingly, there's a whip (the kind they use in stables) on the wall in my mom + step-dad's bedroom. My mom apparently got given it as a gift from someone she used to work for (no jokes plz). I hope it really is just for decoration -.-

step-dads bedroom mom gift work jokes plz hope decoration embarrassed lolcat
  • No
    Lady Jules ♥♥ in Lestat I trust ♥♥
    The odd stuff would probably be mine.
  • runningintriangles 2011/09/10 19:40:27
    runningintriangles
    No weirder than the things I have. Then again, I'm a geek who has plenty of comic books and collector items from various television programmes and films.... although my mum does currently have a severed hand in her office... it's from a life-size model of an actress from one of the films she worked on... she uses it as a paperweight. It looks like Thing from the Addams family... except creepier. Does that count as weird?
  • billycat98 2011/09/10 19:04:28
    billycat98
    yes
  • American☆Atheist 2011/09/10 17:17:12
    American☆Atheist
    +5
    i found a vibraing lightsabor in my mom's dresser
  • Lolaita America... 2011/09/10 18:00:10
    Lolaita
    +2
    D:
    Please tell me she didn't fantasize about Darth Vader.
  • Diane America... 2011/09/10 19:54:46
    Diane
    +1
    Okay your comment tops for the absolute weirdest.
  • Diane 2011/09/10 16:28:00
    Diane
    +1
    But when I was 15 I babysat for this lady with two little girls and went to get a towel out of her cabinet for an unexpected spill and lo and behold underneath, hidden was a voodoo doll, needles and all.
  • deBrice 2011/09/10 15:15:05
    deBrice
    A very old sword in the attic
  • john doe 2011/09/10 15:09:47
    john doe
    +2
    When I was younger we found our buddys moms dildo and used to throw it at each other.....good times
  • kz 2011/09/10 15:00:46
    kz
    +2
    I'm a parent and I have weird stuff. My son grew up with a manikin in the shower, unusual art all over the walls, and our house being referred to as the hippie house (not for drugs) for the unusual exterior. We have old shipping crates acting as tables and other unusual things. He survived it
    no I do
  • Rogue_Loner 2011/09/10 12:49:49 (edited)
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2011/09/10 12:26:51
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    Is a deer head on the living room wall weird?
  • Wizard 2011/09/10 09:35:12
    Wizard
    I recently took over the house after mom passed away, and taken custody of an autistic sister who lived with my at home. Whenever I clean a closet...we get more surprises. I've got the entire taping of the OJ Simpson Trial, if I can afford to get the DVD's and burn it off of VCR tapes. I even found a PeeWee Hermin talking doll here last year. There's a lot more, but not enough time or room to mention. cya!
  • sundance 2011/09/10 09:01:50
    sundance
    I can find a lot weirder stuff at my house than my parents ever thought of owning. Then again, I really like collecting oddities. You find some of the coolest stuff in old delinquent storage sheds...Just a thought...

2014/09/20 07:56:31