Do you find that retail workers are becoming more rude than ever before?

Jamacc 2011/09/03 17:27:20
Yes there is an epidemic of rudeness and I have a story (comment below)
No, retail workers are just born that way (comment below)
I just arrived home from the worst experience I had at a Target store ever. I was buying an Over The Counter item in the Pharmacy. I usually will use the front check-out lanes if the Pharmacy is busy. Today it was not, just a Pharmacy Tech chatting on her cell phone WHILE filling a prescription. Since there was not anyone at the register I went up and put my item on the counter. She places her cell phone down and very rudely asked if I had a prescription to pick up. (She had watched me place my Item on the counter.) When I stated to her that "just the item on the counter" she began to shake her entire body just like my 12 year old niece does when she doesn't get her way. I then asked her if they had started just reserving the Pharmacy check-out for prescription only, she said nothing. I then asked her if there was a problem, again, nothing.

About the same time as the second nothing, a woman walked up to the prescription drop-off counter. I asked the pharmacy tech one last time if there was a problem with me using the Pharmacy check stand. Again nothing, only this time she turned to the female customer and asked her if she needed help. I went and reported her to her manager. This is a holiday weekend so the "manager " is the one poor guy who couldn't get out of working, he did nothing. I was upset to say the least. I go to this store several times a week and liked it very much until now, I won't be back.

Funny thing though, this type of thing keeps happening to me and others I know. You would think in a poor economy people would cherish having a job.

+3
    no they usual act the way they are treated i find

• Naynay 7 days ago
    Naynay
    Customers need to understand they are not alway right. We have RULES we need to follow, just like you want your kids to follow. Lets say a price label says its 4.99 but rings up 7.99, yes we can honor it because its false advertising, but also need to check with a manage because one day they will clearance it, the following day it could have been the wrong item therefore we didn't have a chance to readjust the price. (there is a lot of items to mark down in retail, we can't get through it all. we do our best). Sometime customers get bothered by my customer service, saying i treat them like shoplifter? Um no. I customer serviced everyone i go in a circle, ring up customers, recover, and re do it again. Then i have the customers get bothered when i don't ask them how they are doing. Its one thing following store policy and one thing being rude. We as cashier get hurt to or "offended" when we make an effort for our customers to feel welcome and they completely ignore us ex: Me: Hi! how are you today? is there anything I can help you look for? Customer: *walks right past you". OKAY don't nag about me not customer servicing you. Customers expect to get the things they want RIGHT AWAY when being rung up. We take our time to wrap your things so that they won't get scratched, damage,...
    Customers need to understand they are not alway right. We have RULES we need to follow, just like you want your kids to follow. Lets say a price label says its 4.99 but rings up 7.99, yes we can honor it because its false advertising, but also need to check with a manage because one day they will clearance it, the following day it could have been the wrong item therefore we didn't have a chance to readjust the price. (there is a lot of items to mark down in retail, we can't get through it all. we do our best). Sometime customers get bothered by my customer service, saying i treat them like shoplifter? Um no. I customer serviced everyone i go in a circle, ring up customers, recover, and re do it again. Then i have the customers get bothered when i don't ask them how they are doing. Its one thing following store policy and one thing being rude. We as cashier get hurt to or "offended" when we make an effort for our customers to feel welcome and they completely ignore us ex: Me: Hi! how are you today? is there anything I can help you look for? Customer: *walks right past you". OKAY don't nag about me not customer servicing you. Customers expect to get the things they want RIGHT AWAY when being rung up. We take our time to wrap your things so that they won't get scratched, damage, broken. When we ask for a PHONE # and EMAIL its not so we can email you and bother you, its so you can SAVE a little bit of MONEY with COUPONS and discounts. But hey its your call if you don't want to save money. And always try and put yourself in someone else's shoes before you make rude comments or gestures. KARMA. TREAT EMPLOYEES the way YOU want to be TREATED and VICE VERSA!
  • pjwinkler65 2011/09/17 04:56:11
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    I don't have a story. It is a fact though that customer service just isn't what it used to be.
  • lateef25 pjwinkl... 2013/03/15 00:36:18 (edited)
    lateef25
    +5
    In all fairness neither are customers, ive havr been in retail since i was 15 i am now 35 and as you may believe customer service has declined so has the common courtesy Of the consumer. Lets be realistic we as retail employees are no different than the average everday person but yet we are abused admonished embarrassed. Degraded daily. By the common public. Question: do you put items back when you realize you don't need them or do you just leave them wherever you decide that it isn't needed . If you don't guess what one of us cleans up after you. Not very fair is it. The condition people leave the public bathrooms in and no we don't always hire cleaners to take care of that. How bout this some of us most actually want to help you and make your shopping experience a pleasnt one but were greated with disdain when we ask how may I help you guess what thats part of our job. We don't get. Paid well we work awfull hours all to make ends meet and feed our families ,pay for school, get a lil work experience, but cus5omers are constantly treatning our jobs. When something trivial happens as in you don't like the price of an item,somethingis out of stock. We don't have it in the color you like cmon now like I can reserve items in quantity color and price just for you
  • Naynay pjwinkl... 7 days ago
    Naynay
    +2
    maybe be customers aren't polite like they used to be either.
  • Chaya2010 2011/09/04 12:18:27
    Chaya2010
    +1
    The pharmacy technician seems to have an attitude problem. I have encountered bad service from retail staff and I've worked in retail, whilst I was in university so I've seen both sides. In retail they pay peanuts and generally get monkeys (me included) there are also some really rude customers. So she may have been wound up. The whole cell phone thing is just unprofessional and discourteous.
    I'm always polite to people in stores and restaurant although in this case I think the tech was rude and I would have called her supervisor/manager.
  • Jamacc Chaya2010 2011/09/04 12:26:40 (edited)
    Jamacc
    +1
    I went back to pick up some wine for dinner and spoke with the evening manager, she made it right with a $10.00 gift card, not what I was looking for, just wanted her to accept my complaint. but it was nice that she put forth the effort to make it right. Since I have 3 Target stores within a equal distance from my home, I will choose another one in future. I liked that one because it was always the least busy of the three, situations like mine could be a reason! Side note, come to find out she is actually a Pharmacist! I just assumed a Tech due to her attitude and her being sounprofessional.
  • Chaya2010 Jamacc 2011/09/04 13:33:40
    Chaya2010
    +1
    Can you imagine being on the phone concentrating on something else then having to dispense drugs? That's just not good. I'd say the pharmacist has a chip on her shoulder.
  • Jamacc Chaya2010 2011/09/04 13:39:55
    Jamacc
    +1
    I don't use that pharmacy, for prescriptions, anyway. I go to one of the few family owned Pharmacies left. I should have went there for my OTC purchase also, but I was choosing convenience. Funny thing is she was having a riveting conversation about how sweaty she was because of the humidity! I would hate to have my meds filled incorrectly because she was chatting about her sweating problem.
  • Chaya2010 Jamacc 2011/09/04 13:52:52
    Chaya2010
    +1
    She's probably on the drugs she's dispensing!!!
  • METALheadMom 2011/09/04 08:29:22
    METALheadMom
    +2
    Having been on the OTHER side of the counter most of my adult life, customers can be extremely rude too. The difference is, we have to stand there and pretend we don't want to grab your face and slap your ears - - you can always report us to our boss.

NO, not everyone is happy to be overworked and underpaid. Have you considered that since this type of thing keeps happening to you, there might be something about YOU that turns sales people off?
  • Jamacc METALhe... 2011/09/04 08:41:15
    Jamacc
    Nope, i am always polite, to a fault. I am in customer service as a facility administrator, and when some one is rude to me without a word yet being spoken by myself, I hardly see how I have provoked someones rudeness. I must add for every one person who is rude there is always 2 experiences where workers are generally pleasant.My point is that It just seems the rudeness is more common now than in prior years. The worker I was speaking about was upset initially because she had to end her personal cell phone call to ring my purchase, that is what started her initial rudeness toward me, when i asked her if I had mistakenly came to a closed register, then she became more impolite. FYI, while I was in college, I did her job and worked at a Target not far from the store where she is employed. I understand the abuse that workers suffer at the hands of customers, therefore I do not do it myself. I never would have treated a customer in the manner in which she did no matter what the reason.
  • Doodlebugs METALhe... 2012/03/11 17:47:01
    Doodlebugs
    +3
    THERE IT IS!!! That's the attitude right there. You cocky little snot! I swear us older people are going to get to a point someday where we won't take it any longer. Don't under estimate our ability to plaster your hind end to the ground. If you don't like how much you're working find a new job!! You don't take it out on your customers and chatting on your cell phone at work? Problem is most bosses are in the same age group as the employee. You’re not there to work! You’re trying to collect a paycheck while you play on the job! It's so apparent what the problem is and something needs to be done about it. It's not just retail it's any business that has the current 20-30 year olds working in their establishment. Rude nasty attitude little punks like you.
  • Christo... Doodlebugs 2012/12/13 15:04:08
  • ELLIE 2011/09/04 06:56:40
    ELLIE
    +1
    I have had a few instances when I was treated like I was imposing on their private life or was simply ignored when asking for a carrier bag.I am always polite ,but when I get treated like I am some bit of dirt then I will speak up and make a point.

I understand that assistants and other customer service don't always get treated very well by some who are downright snobs... I have worked in that field myself.I was taught to be polite ...no matter what and would have been severly reprimanded had I come across as rude.

Sadly proper training seems to have gone out of the window and replaced with some very basic advise before people get sent to the shop floor.At least there are still some polite and helpful people out there who like their jobs and find it normal to be courteous toward people.Well done to them.
  • Jamacc ELLIE 2011/09/04 07:06:36
    Jamacc
    +1
    Thanks ELLIE, always good feedback!
  • ELLIE Jamacc 2011/09/04 07:34:38 (edited)
    ELLIE
    +1
    Thanks Jamacc.

Typo
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2011/09/03 21:39:35
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    The truth about retail:

Companies pay minimum wage, only offer part time, and give zero benefits to their employees. They then tie both hands behind their backs and expect them to be punching bags. In other words, most businesses do not empower their employees to actually anything to help an upset customer, they're just expected to stand there and take it.

The epidemic of rudeness is far more prevalent in the customers than it is in the employees. Most customers treat employees like sub-standard humans. I see idiots jawjacking on cell phones through the entire checkout line, not paying attention to the cashier when asked a question. I see other customers argue over a ten cent price discrepancy (with a cart bulging with $150 of groceries), holding up the line and acting like the center of the universe. I see hippie mothers who believe that the best way to soothe a crying baby is to ignore it and let it wail like a banshee for 60 minutes in the store. I see customers abuse return policies by purchasing an item that they have no intention of keeping and then returning it to the store after they use it once. As bad as employees are, customers are worse.

Oh, and I used to work in customer service, I provided great service because I was a tipped employee and thus had ...
    The truth about retail:

Oh, and I used to work in customer service, I provided great service because I was a tipped employee and thus had proper motivation. 99% of you are awesome, but 1% of you are so miserable, that we really don't want your money, we want you to go away. Glad that customer service/retail is behind me forever.
  • Jamacc Beat Ma... 2011/09/04 04:06:18
    Jamacc
    I have been behind people who have mistreated staff before, and held up lines over a nickel or worse I had someone in front of me argue over the price at a 99 cent only store! I find most retail workers friendly but it does seem, in my experience, more and more are becoming rude as though it is an imposition for you to be bothering them. I do agree there are more rude customers than employees though. Thanks for your comment!
  • sky blue pink - American 2011/09/03 20:08:30
    sky blue pink - American
    +1
    I understand. I've noticed that a few Target Employees have a rotten attitude, even in Customer Service. We had bought a converter box, it didn't exactally work correctly, we took it back and one of the employees said we couldn't return it. The kids that told us this was nothing but a stock boy. We left with the box, found the main number to Target, and complainned until something was done. Give them a call and make sure you have the store number, just tell them what you printed here and they will take care of it.
    I wish you the best.
    Have a good one !
  • Beat Ma... sky blu... 2011/09/03 21:41:51
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    Most retail employees aren't allowed to make it right anymore. They're expected to stand there and be punching bags.
  • sky blu... Beat Ma... 2011/09/04 08:25:17
    sky blue pink - American
    +1
    Really ?
    Have a nice day !
  • Jamacc sky blu... 2011/09/04 04:10:17
    Jamacc
    I think this situation surprised me more since it was at a Target store, they are usually better at customer service. I do not shop at wal mart because no one could ever answer a question and if you even look inquisitive the employees bolt and disappear. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Metaldane 2011/09/03 19:06:57 (edited)
    Metaldane
    +1
    But mostly it's the customers I work the overnight shift as a grocery stocker at Walmart and most of the customers r ok but I'll get rude ones all the time they either act like I'm beneath them, bump into me with their cart and ignore it or sometimes even dump out my cardboard and take my grocery cart because they can't walk 10 feet to go get one and I've held back on getting after them for it so though some of us may be rude sometime trust me they're having a bad day if they work in a retail store and u probably got the girl in trouble because they wait until close to their shift end to tell them they're fired and one customer complaint is usually enough and nobody is happy working at a retail store no matter the economy
  • Beat Ma... Metaldane 2011/09/03 21:43:11
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    Haha! I used to work late and had to go to Wal Mart to get groceries after midnight all the time. Yeah, it's a freak show in there after dark. I don't know who those folks are or where they come from, but America has a hidden population that only comes out at night.
  • Metaldane Beat Ma... 2011/09/04 00:53:45
    Metaldane
    +1
    Oh yea show up round 2 or 3 in the morning it gets scary that's when the meth heads show up lol
  • Jamacc Metaldane 2011/09/04 04:13:45
    Jamacc
    +1
    I agree, it does also seem to be an individual stores culture, We have 3 Target stores equal distance from our house, I can go to one store and cannot get 5 feet into the store without being greeted by a few people. Then I go to the one I was at today, it just has a different feel. I am sure that is less about the employees and says more about the management and how they motivate their workers. Thanks.
  • GaolBlaze 2011/09/03 18:56:42
    GaolBlaze
    +1
    I didn't really see VERY rude people until I went to America, and I went to buy something in a small shop and there was a girl on the phone, who didn't get off the phone all through our purchase, and gave us signals instead of even talking to us... And she was saying on the phone that there had been a mystery customer or something who was actually judging them, who had given them a bad review because of the person she was on the phone to... So she was being a bad retail worker, to give out to the other person for being a bad retail worker... I had to wonder if either of them deserved their jobs. I also found that the people there were all talking between themselves instead of talking to the customers at all, and in the places where they DID talk to the customers, they were extremely patronising and creepy. I couldn't look through a pile of clothes for my size without having three people coming over to do it for me... I'm not stupid and can do it myself. There seemed to be too many people there and most just weren't good at their jobs. One man shouted at us because he said he'd check something and my mam asked the price, trying to save him time if we didn't want to pay a fortune for nothing. He just shouted at her that he was busy. It was insane.
  • Beat Ma... GaolBlaze 2011/09/03 21:44:17
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Many retail workers are required to ask the customer on the phone if they can put them on hold. If the customer says no (and they always do), then the employee has no choice but to finish the call.
  • GaolBlaze Beat Ma... 2011/09/05 16:29:19
    GaolBlaze
    No, they were on the phone to a fellow employee who wasn't there that day, talking about other things, not a customer. If it was a customer, I could understand, but it wasn't.
  • Jamacc GaolBlaze 2011/09/04 04:24:21
    Jamacc
    I agree, I have been all over Europe and most of the time I had good customer service. I think the difference is that in America we as a society look at these jobs as menial jobs, so people good at customer service and take pride in their work do not apply for these jobs. In Europe a position in the a Department store is thought of as honest work and something to be proud of for the most part. Thanks for your observation!
  • GaolBlaze Jamacc 2011/09/05 16:30:50
    GaolBlaze
    To be proud of?:L It's just a job, same as in America, just we still take it seriously and try to have good customer service at all times :D
  • Fluttershyfan 2011/09/03 17:51:31
    Fluttershyfan
    +1
    I really don't blame them. They have to deal with dumbasses all day.
  • Jamacc Flutter... 2011/09/03 17:54:49
    Jamacc
    This is true, I have no Idea what kind of day a person has had. Thanks!
  • Islamo Punk 2011/09/03 17:39:07 (edited)
    Islamo Punk
    +1
    I can not blame most of them, so many are put out of work.

BUT it is a messed up thing to deal with when your trying to be nice and they are always angry. Not all of them are angry though some are just defensive. See costumers can be rude a lot too.
  • Jamacc Islamo ... 2011/09/03 17:45:50
    Jamacc
    +1
    trust me I know about being on the other side of a rude customer! that is why I try to be overly polite especially if someone looks as though they are having a rough day. Thanks!
  • Islamo ... Jamacc 2011/09/03 17:47:31
    Islamo Punk
    +1
    This is about as Gray as it gets if you ask me.
    +3
  • Jamacc Sister ... 2011/09/03 17:44:03
    Jamacc
    When i used to work retail I would have agreed with that statement, but I am the type of person who is polite to a fault, I tip extremely well and normally say nothing if service is not that great. This young lady was upset that I was interrupting her phone call and felt I was wasting her time for my non-prescription purchase. When I was trying to ask her if I may need to make my purchase elsewhere in the store, she was just silent and rude as if I was making my purchase to purposely ruin her day! Thanks for your comment!

2014/10/24 12:04:58