Do You Feel It's Important to Go to College to Secure a Good, Well-Paying Job?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• Marcus Clark 2012/07/27 23:49:04
    Marcus Clark
    +25
    Unfortunately too many people think way too highly of a generic college degree. A college degree is needed for some specialized fields (such as engineering.)

Too many kids jump out of high school and right into college, and don't even know what they are going to college for. Going to college just to be going to college is a waste of time and a waste of money.

• ppk007@... Bureauc... 2012/07/29 02:07:51
    ppk007@cfl.rr.com
    +1
    Questions - Did the current economic crisis start under Obama, or did he inherit it from Bush? Was GWBush a progressive?
  • Bureauc... ppk007@... 2012/07/29 02:23:44
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    Bush was no conservative. Technically the current economic crisis started under Øbama since he declared the '08-'09 recession was over. Don't you remember the summer of recovery?
    Of coarse that's not what you meant, so yes the recession started during bush' term just as the previous ons started under Clinton. But to my point, the democrats had taken over the house and the purse strings in 07 when pelosi declared ''no more deficit spending, pay as you go'' and then proceeded to balloon the deficits. Shame on Bush for going along but to his credit, he repeatedly called attention to the looming housing crisis that is at the root cause of the recession. Prior to pelosi's tenure, the budget deficit had shrunk to $112 Billion. Nowadays that's a rounding error after she and Øbama ushered in the era of Trillion dollar deficits.
  • Texas Johnny 2012/07/28 22:40:30
    Texas Johnny
    +2
    While a college education is worthwhile and strongly encouraged in my family, I think we need more plumbers, electricians , carpenters and mechanics than we need lawyers or accountants. We need people in this country to make things run. Every generation loses interest in attaining actual manual skills. A good plumber will make more money than a teacher ever will. Some college is needed , but nothing wrong with a plumber or electrician with a two year degree in business admin or some subject that would help him/her run their business better.
  • Peacock Texas J... 2012/07/29 03:14:16
    Peacock
    They make GREATmoney, and they have a talent..BUT in case of an injury that prohibits such physical labor, that degree is a safety net. 4 years out of anyone's life will not kill them, and may save them,and their families in the future...we don't know what can happen.
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/28 22:32:29
    Ozymandias
    +1
    I don't think there's any question in today's economy and business world.
  • psychobabe 2012/07/28 22:30:42
    psychobabe
    +2
    Why wouldn't it be important? I'm talking about being able to make enough money to be comfortable. A college education by no means guarantees a comfortable living, but it does increase your chances.
  • Souldog 2012/07/28 22:29:27
    Souldog
    +1
    While you can get a good paying job without a degree, you can increase your opportunities with a degree.
  • Lili13 2012/07/28 21:59:31
    Lili13
    And No.
  • ppk007@cfl.rr.com 2012/07/28 20:47:44
    ppk007@cfl.rr.com
    +2
    like having on a shirt or wearing shoes is not necessary to get you into ALL restaurants... but they sure are necessary to get you into the better restaurants...
  • Bureauc... ppk007@... 2012/07/28 22:51:51
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    Point taken but not sure where you reside, here in Texas, ''No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service''.
  • ppk007@... Bureauc... 2012/07/28 23:00:19
    ppk007@cfl.rr.com
    Florida, the same a Texas, except in some beach front restaurants ...
  • Frank 2012/07/28 19:42:17
    Frank
    If you are seeking a specialized job such as engineer, Doctor, Lawyer, accountant and so on you will need it..
  • Man_Bear_Pig 2012/07/28 19:05:08
    Man_Bear_Pig
    +2
    My dad never went to college, and he makes about 100k yearly. But, he had to stay in that trade for 30 years to make that wage. A Bachelor or Masters degree will get you there faster.
  • Eric Man_Bea... 2012/07/28 20:46:46
    Eric
    +2
    IF you actually study while in college, AND
    IF you pick a major that has good career job openings, AND
    IF you have the required initiative, work ethic, etc.

And if you handle financing properly. Earning $100K and spending $110K is worse than earning $70K and spending $60K over the long run.
  • Man_Bea... Eric 2012/07/28 20:49:16
    Man_Bear_Pig
    +1
    Well yes that's all implied.
  • Eric Man_Bea... 2012/07/28 21:01:03
    Eric
    +1
    Glad to hear that. Unfortunately I fear that many don't think about that stuff.
  • Manster 2012/07/28 19:00:52
    Manster
    Now, more than ever! That degree can be a deal maker for the applicant who has one over one who doesn't.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/07/28 18:32:44
    Bibliophilic
    For myself, yes.
  • JULIE 2012/07/28 18:21:43
    JULIE
    I work in a company with lots of graduating college students & it seems the ones with the most work experience & 2 years community university, fair better than the ones with more college time in. And 85% is who you know
  • Jessica 2012/07/28 18:16:04
    Jessica
    Because that's what I've been told all my life. Looking at it though, I've got to wonder how you get out of all the debt that comes with it! There are other professions I know that I could pursue with just as much success without a college degree. I'm just saying in general it might be safer to go to college, but there are plenty of other option to pursue if you try for them.
  • gocar 2012/07/28 18:07:52
    gocar
    Yes, because, these days, there are so few good paying jobs that do not require college.Also I think employers are biased. Most jobs are learned with on the job training. The college degree only tells them a little of your abiltiy to stick with something. I would rather hire a liberal arts major anytime because they are well rounded and open to learning everything. College is actually overrated for most kids.
  • aimee-monroe 2012/07/28 17:11:58
    aimee-monroe
    +1
    well its the time when you decide what you wanna do in your future
  • Rebel Yell 2012/07/28 16:23:54
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    It really depends on the person and his/her goals. I picked up a couple of degrees that have served me well. There are job openings out there. If you have knowledge of robotics, NASA wants you. Forget it if you turn up with your high school diploma. There are many calls from the medical industry, including in R & D. Engineering and technology including online sales and games. And yes, the green industry.

Anyone entering college today should have a firm grasp on the highway he/she wants to travel in life and will that be a good choice. You may love 18th Century Art History but seriously, where are you going with that?
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/07/28 16:21:55 (edited)
  • schjaz 2012/07/28 15:07:14 (edited)
    schjaz
    +1
    By college, I guess you mean a 4 year program? no. On the contrary and it would be wise for mostt ppl to wait a couple years after high school to get some life experience under their belts before making the decision to pursue a degree of any kind. Right now, the universities and colleges are making too much money off students and the students are into socializing and partying. Let everyone work in a fast food or dry cleaners or other minimum wage job to be able to appreciate what college has to offer and what money REALLY means. I am sure we would find more entrepreneurs out there as well as ppl that were more interested in 2 year degrees.
  • Blank Blank Blank 2012/07/28 14:48:38
  • harasnicole 2012/07/28 14:16:14
    harasnicole
    +2
    Unless, of course, you plan on working at McDonald's your whole life.
  • schjaz harasni... 2012/07/28 15:09:33
    schjaz
    +2
    2 year degrees can offer just as good of a future.
  • harasni... schjaz 2012/07/28 18:19:43
    harasnicole
    +2
    I was making a joke. =/
  • ppk007@... schjaz 2012/07/28 20:43:27
    ppk007@cfl.rr.com
    +1
    Then again a two you degree is secured by "going to college".
  • LILY 2012/07/28 14:13:10
    LILY
    +1
    People with a higher education prosper in life more than a person with just a short period time education. Only if they invent something or become famous that changes.
  • schjaz LILY 2012/07/28 15:10:12
    schjaz
    +3
    not true. most cannot even find a job in their field.
  • thє вlu... schjaz 2012/07/28 16:26:41
  • LILY schjaz 2012/07/30 19:38:22
    LILY
    well now in days of course people have alot of trouble finding positions in their field. but c'mon when a big company sees that you have a great education they seem to choose you then a person who also applied to the same job and only has a high school diploma or minimum education.
  • schjaz LILY 2012/07/31 16:00:22
    schjaz
    I worked as a personnel counselor for awhile and companies often considered college grads to be overqualified and were not about to pay the wages they expected just because they decided on a college degree. Yeah, some of the biggest companies, like Prudential wanted a high school grad that was willing to start at the bottom and work their way up, thus, they could be trained the way the company wanted them trained. Sorry, but the truth is that college grads often have unreasonable expectations and companies will not pay them more because of a piece of paper.
  • LILY schjaz 2012/08/02 20:40:05
    LILY
    you do have a point.
  • schjaz LILY 2012/08/03 04:58:54
    schjaz
    +1
    Thanks...but college is a good idea...I think it works better when you have some experience under your belt first. And 2 year degrees are a really good idea.
  • cnsharp 2012/07/28 13:52:11
    cnsharp
    +1
    It is a waste of money to go to college so you can further your education. College can be incredibly useful to help you go after your career but you need to know that you want a career and not just another job. If you have the money and even if you don't have the money college is a great way to help you learn the information needed for your field of study (teaching, law, pharmacy, marketing, ect.)
  • junkme2342 2012/07/28 13:33:38
    junkme2342
    +1
    But sometimes it helps.
  • Aurora 2012/07/28 13:28:22
    Aurora
    +2
    I think college is great for our young children, but not all children are suited to college, I think their is nothing wrong with Skill Sets, Plumbers, electricians, Beauticians, welders, their are many skills that young people would be able to do without a college education.

2014/07/30 15:19:34