Do You Feel It's Important to Go to College to Secure a Good, Well-Paying Job?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• Marcus Clark 2012/07/27 23:49:04
    Marcus Clark
    +25
    Unfortunately too many people think way too highly of a generic college degree. A college degree is needed for some specialized fields (such as engineering.)

Too many kids jump out of high school and right into college, and don't even know what they are going to college for. Going to college just to be going to college is a waste of time and a waste of money.

• FortunaVeritas 2012/07/30 04:36:20
  • flrdsgns 2012/07/30 04:24:24
    flrdsgns
    +2
    Absolutely, unless someone wants to rely on manual, or unskilled labor jobs the rest of their lives.
  • freakou... flrdsgns 2012/07/30 04:48:17 (edited)
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    You don't have to go to college to become a carpenter. Carpenters are SKILLED LABOR so I've shot a hole in your comment. Also there's an alternative to college called a TRADE SCHOOL where you can learn to become an auto mechanic, an electrican, or a plumber. Those jobs are SKILLED LABOR. So that's strike two.
  • flrdsgns freakou... 2012/07/30 04:51:17
    flrdsgns
    There are just more doors open to you if you have a degree. You can get by and do ok without a degree, but with one, you won't be stuck as a carpenter or auto mechanic all your life
  • freakou... flrdsgns 2012/07/30 05:02:15
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +1
    Auto Mechanics make good money. Carpenters can make good money too. The college degree doesn't open any doors that hard work and knowing the right people won't. No matter where you work unless you have prior experience you have to start at the bottom even with that college degree unless you are a lawyer, doctor, or engineer.
  • tom C flrdsgns 2012/07/30 15:00:09
    tom  C
    completely inaccurate....the skilled trades pay very well...chemical industry, oil industry ,
    air conditioning technician, electrician, industrial mechanic...defense manufacturers,
    with out a degree, can make 6 figures...
  • flrdsgns tom C 2012/08/01 00:45:23
    flrdsgns
    and with a degree and some skill, you can make 7 figures
  • theawesomerandomperson 2012/07/30 04:19:42
    theawesomerandomperson
    +1
    what kind of question is this ?! duh!!!
  • David 2012/07/30 04:07:21
    David
    Not necessarily. You can get a very good job in several vocational fields like HVAC, plumbing, electrical work, and the list goes on. I think the key is to definitely get some kind of post secondary certification whether is be a degree or a trade. Your not going to need a business major or a software engineer when your air conditioner or furnace breaks down.
  • Sterling 2012/07/30 03:17:45
    Sterling
    +2
    Hell no. A generic degree is probably worse for you than no degree because of the investment in time and capital and the low monetary benefit. Learning specific skills is great, but if you aren't ready to study hard and get a worthwhile degree go into the workforce. If you're an able-bodied man you can look for a job in oil (starting jobs here pay 27 dollars an hour, and we have 40k spots we need filled). Get experience, work hard, move up.
  • Jimmy 2012/07/30 02:45:40
    Jimmy
    +1
    Sometimes yes I'll give some advice if you had to choose between getting a low-level job or internship in your field of choice vs going to college I would definitely choose working your way up because four years experience in the field will always carry more weight then a college degree. College used to be an experience; a place where people were able to explore their ambition and last chance to enjoy life before you entered adulthood. Unfortunately the government student loan program turned college into this profit making machine, it destroyed the incentive colleges have to teaching transferable skills so you'll be able to find work. With the student loan program I would advise against college.
  • Sir Bud. 2012/07/30 02:41:22
    Sir Bud.
    +2
    No,of course not-as it is a well know fact that the less we know the more we can earn.Duhhh!.
  • overseanancy 2012/07/30 00:54:43
    overseanancy
    +4
    It heightens your chances whether you like it or not.
  • Helmholtz 2012/07/30 00:10:20
    Helmholtz
    +1
    I think that it's important to develop skills that are in high demand. This can be done at college (e.g., engineering, actuarial science, accounting, etc.), but it seems like most degrees don't offer it.
  • Tetrahedron 5000 2012/07/29 23:39:35
    Tetrahedron 5000
    +2
    Nowadays it's the only way to get ANY job. Used to be college is what separated professionals from blue-collar types. Now it's normal to see a college graduate serving your french fries. Thank the "everyone should get free college" crew for starting the trend. If everyone goes to college, then everyone will compete for every job. The only way that works is in a communis..... wait a minute.
  • chgo Tetrahe... 2012/07/30 00:15:14
    chgo
    college isn't free in America.

And the reason why thousands to millions of college graduates is because there is no a lack of jobs available.

next time, learn what you're talkin about.
  • Tetrahe... chgo 2012/07/30 03:34:02
    Tetrahedron 5000
    OMFG.... really?! Did I say college was free? I simply implied that it is headed in that direction. Guess I have to pitch under-hand to you, eh? And what exactly do you mean by "no a lack of jobs available"? In fact, your second sentence in its entirety makes absolutely no sense. I understand the point you're trying to make because it's vaguely apparent that you disagree with me on some standpoint which I haven't figured out yet. Could I make an assumption that the ol' English grades weren't so good?

Next time, use a spelling/grammar/sanity check.
  • haaaaaa Tetrahe... 2012/07/30 05:30:20
    haaaaaa
    +1
    " I simply implied that it is headed in that direction."

I don't get that, college tuition is outpacing inflation in costs
    http://www.finaid.org/savings...
  • chgo Tetrahe... 2012/08/01 06:19:24 (edited)
    chgo
    No, You didn't imply that, dim bulb. That's how your stupid head works when compared to mine. I don't think like an idiot like you do.

and how is it headed in that direction? If you've paying attention to what's been going on planet Earth, you would see it's the direct opposite.

why don't you look at countries like France and Switzerland where they have basically free college for students? do ever college graduate in those countries serving French fries (proper nouns are capitalized, genius) and are competing for jobs like they are in the U.S.?

and have you ever heard of paragraphs? they do exist on Planet Earth. Could I make the assumption that the ol' English grades weren't so good?

"Next time, use a spelling/grammar/sanity check."

Uh...is this grammatically correct? I think not.

get a life, pathetic loser. it looks like you need some Ritalin topped off with a lobotomy, you're so low.
  • Tetrahe... chgo 2012/08/01 23:10:02
    Tetrahedron 5000
    Sentences start with capital letters. :)
  • Krishna Prasanna 2012/07/29 23:09:33
    Krishna Prasanna
    I didnot agree with the above question why because there are some highly demanded professional courses(In India) which are provided in Distance Education mode and most of the guys who are studying these courses are studying their own without seeking the help of any college and also also getting paid high salaries.
  • Dan 2012/07/29 23:02:10
    Dan
    +1
    Only if you know what your major is going to be and you have researched the odds of your major getting you a job that will pay for your education.
  • Bill 2012/07/29 21:39:52
    Bill
    Yes and no, it's important to go to college, but since Obama destroyed the economy and tripled the deficit it by no means guarantees you ANY job. Most college graduates these days are lucky to get a job at McDonalds.
  • JingerJewels 2012/07/29 21:33:42
    JingerJewels
    No not anymore
  • NeutronBomb 2012/07/29 21:33:02 (edited)
    NeutronBomb
    Not necessarily but lets be honest it increases your chances massively.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/07/29 21:15:58
    Elaine Magliacane
    +2
    My cousin is a PLUMBER, he owns his own business... he makes enough money his wife is a stay at home Mom and they live in a HUGE house. He went to work for a plumber right out of high school, learned the trade and then went into business for himself in his late 20's... I know LOTS of computer geeks, including some very famous wealthy men who did not graduate from college. Hard work and experience is more important than DEBT and a useless degree in Women's studies.
  • haaaaaa Elaine ... 2012/07/30 05:53:01 (edited)
    haaaaaa
    "I know LOTS of computer geeks, including some very famous wealthy men who did not graduate from college."

Though there is a significant difference between going and not graduating (eg, Gates, Jobs, Wozniak [who went back later], Zuckerberg), and not going to college at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/how...
  • candida.carter 2012/07/29 21:05:34
    candida.carter
    +1
    Though I think education can help in some careers. I do not think it is a necessary component for obtaining a good job. Prior to returning to college for my own personal satisfaction reasons. I was making 25-38 per hour working for myself full time as a contract business manager/bookkeeper for small businesses in my area with only a GED, experience and a "can do" problem solving attitude. I still do this part time while I am attending school and working with a local non-profit. The biggest obstacle for me was that there were too many clients who wanted to contract my services and not enough time to go around.
  • zcberry 2012/07/29 20:57:10
    zcberry
    +1
    However, I feel they need to be realistic, just because you have a degree. It does not mean you will get a great paying job. IJS!!!
  • bbwolf35 2012/07/29 20:38:41
    bbwolf35
    I think a good education is a valuable asset. Can you be successful without one? Yes to that as well.
  • Leprachaun999 2012/07/29 20:23:14
    Leprachaun999
    +2
    It has been promoted so much that yes unfortunately you need to get that piece of paper to get a decent job now.
  • Shelly Sue 2012/07/29 20:15:58
    Shelly Sue
    While I checked yes, I also believe that it is not for everyone. You can still be a business person without one. But, I believe that it is best to get a degree because it is attainable here in the U.S. for practically anyone. A person may regret later when they are in a position that would be hard for them to get further education, that they did not do this on time.
  • Centrist_Bill 2012/07/29 19:52:56
    Centrist_Bill
    For the most part. Some people do get lucky but not many.
  • bunny.elgato 2012/07/29 19:47:22
    bunny.elgato
    +1
    Knowledge is power. Its possible to work your way up to managment for taco bell and McDonalds but if it is banking, nursing, and other professions like that then certifications and degrees are needed.
  • La Bef 2012/07/29 19:25:39
    La Bef
    Not necessarily to secure a good well paying job. I know plenty of college graduates who are not doing that well...but considering the awful education our government schools give our children we must make sure they do go to college to be able to not sound like total idiots. At least in college they get to know things they should have learned like, geography, history...who the vice president of the US is....things that other kids all over the world learn i elementary school.
  • clasact 2012/07/29 19:24:54
    clasact
    +1
    the job market is in desperat need of skill labor right now,so for those who do not see them slfes as college bound or even college material their are alot of very well paying jobs out there.
  • ticlo7 2012/07/29 19:10:01
    ticlo7
    +2
    You have to start from the bottom and work your way up - you can't just jump immediately into a well-paying job.
  • janice.ridge3 2012/07/29 18:59:11
    janice.ridge3
    +1
    I know plenty of people who have no degree and have done quite well. And no Barbi, they aren't digging ditches either. We have been programmed to believe we need that degree to fuel that part of our economy and keep the "system" going. The system has been used for decades to initiate people into a way of thinking and believing and has nothing to do with education really. Only more to do with indoctrination and paying people to brain wash our society. Once you realize that, you've won part of the battle.
  • GIR213 2012/07/29 18:49:20
    GIR213
    +2
    If you are looking for a career that requires a colleg education than yes.
  • Marie 2012/07/29 18:44:39
    Marie
    A piece of paper can mean so much! When you are young, you should do everything you can to prepare for your future!

2014/10/24 05:35:31