Do You Feel It's Important to Go to College to Secure a Good, Well-Paying Job?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• Marcus Clark 2012/07/27 23:49:04
    Marcus Clark
    +25
    Unfortunately too many people think way too highly of a generic college degree. A college degree is needed for some specialized fields (such as engineering.)

Too many kids jump out of high school and right into college, and don't even know what they are going to college for. Going to college just to be going to college is a waste of time and a waste of money.

• rand Bob DiN 2012/07/28 01:26:34
    rand
    But not in chemistry or physics, right? It all depends on what one wants to do.
  • Bob DiN rand 2012/07/28 04:44:14
    Bob DiN
    Yes, and what jobs are in need.
  • rand Bob DiN 2012/07/28 14:05:40
    rand
    I understand your point, but finding a job that one enjoys will make for a career. I'd not recommend spending ones life doing something he hates just for the money. Living on modest means but loving her occupation was my priority in funding my daughter's college education.
  • Bob DiN rand 2012/07/28 15:16:04
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Right now college grads have it rough. My daughter is a 2011 grad with honors. She found a part time low pay without benefits last September, she could be let go at anytime. She's doing better than most of her fellow grads.i fellow grad found a permanet job for good pay and benefits last May. He just got his 60 day layoff notice. This economy is horrible and these kids are in for a bumpy ride.
  • rand Bob DiN 2012/07/28 16:36:04
    rand
    What is your daughter's field of study? My daughter also graduated cum laude. Her field is biochemistry and it took her 6 months to find a position, but so far it's held up.
  • Bob DiN rand 2012/07/29 00:11:01
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Communications, also in the Communications Honor Society. She was also the College Radio Station Manager and was able to put the station on line streaming. Everyone says she has an impressive resume but in this economy are not hiring. She did get and offer from Sirus Satellite Radio but it was as an assistant producer for a XXX show. She wanted no part of it when she found out at the interview. She had interned with them in her senior year.They told her that they knew she wouldn't take it but wanted her to come in so the big bosses would se her again. It seems it's the same all over. They would like to hire but don't have the revenue to support it.
  • whateverbabynevermind 2012/07/27 22:45:42
    whateverbabynevermind
    +2
    My parents went to college and it broadened their perspectives on life. Obviously not everyone is suited for it, but I find investing in yourself is always a guaranteed return, no matter how cheesy that might sound. Learn more languages, learn a trade or get a degree. Maybe even just pursue your interests. I want to be a lawyer but study evolution, so I'm going to take classes in both.
  • lee 2012/07/27 22:36:15
    lee
    STAY IN SCHOOL

there are no jobs out here anyways.
  • ConLibFraud 2012/07/27 22:31:23
    ConLibFraud
    +2
    Good question and before answering I highly recommend you watch this first. Break it down into segments and watch it when you can.

• Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/07/27 22:27:40
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    If you're going into academia, yes. If not, go to trade college or open your own business.
  • kofp 2012/07/27 22:27:36 (edited)
    kofp
    +1
    There's no economy anymore, just a welfare state in the USA. The economy in America has DIED through over regulation, taxation, a central bank that owns our government and screws those they don't like or have no use for! Those with good jobs are connected and funded by government or the banking system, the rest of us are left in the cold. It's time to end the Federal Reserve Bank, support Senate Bill 202, Federal Reserve Transparency Act. Call, e-mail and write to your Senators about supporting this bill. We need to know what this private bank, The Federal Reserve, is doing with our money and credit behind the scenes! We are in worse economic shape now than during the peak of the Great Depression. This term, "recession" being used over and over and over again in the mainstream media is meaningless (all mainstream media does is lie, promote bad ethics, promote bad morals, fear monger and brainwash), we're in the midst of a full blown depression and everybody with a mind to think knows it! The whole American economy has turned into a 99 cents store and garage sale economy because everyone's BROKE! Even things that are worth a lot sell for almost nothing now because no one has the money to pony up. Sounds like a depression to me. I say don't go to college unless you want to be saddled with more debt you will never be able to pay back! Does it make sense to go to college when there's no jobs and no signs the economy will ever turn around in the distant future?
  • rustyshackelford 2012/07/27 22:09:07
  • lm1b2 2012/07/27 22:08:51
    lm1b2
    If you have the intelligence,and the will to secede,other wise no.There are trade Schools out there where you can learn a trade ,etc.Skills that are in demand,and you could make a lot more money then you could by going to College.
  • JohnT 2012/07/27 21:46:05
    JohnT
    +1
    Not everyone is cut out for college. I have a nephew that went to trade school to repair huge diesel generators He travels the world makes six figures and is happy doing what he likes. He never wanted four years of academia .
  • Mr. Smith 2012/07/27 21:31:03
    Mr. Smith
    +3
    Not at all - in fact, the best jobs are the ones you create yourself! Do the work today that other's won't do so later you can live like no one else does.
  • Idiot r... Mr. Smith 2012/07/27 21:50:38
    Idiot repubs
    There are already too many cupcake shops already.
  • Mr. Smith Idiot r... 2012/07/27 22:01:14
    Mr. Smith
    Who are you to decide? Oh, you're a typical progressive who likes to ban stuff, I forgot.
  • Idiot r... Mr. Smith 2012/07/28 00:14:19
    Idiot repubs
    That's the industry the GOP has given us, you off shore our manufacturing and we end up as rugged individuals selling cupcakes! LOL!!
  • Mr. Smith Idiot r... 2012/07/28 01:26:42
    Mr. Smith
    +1
    Yeah, the Democrats had nothing to do with it, you know, all those business friendly low taxes you guys are so into.....LOL!
  • TheMayor 2012/07/27 21:26:50
    TheMayor
    +3
    speciality trades are GOOD money and really a great option for people with learning difficulties.
  • Alexis 2012/07/27 21:23:44
    Alexis
    +1
    I think so, but then again there are plenty of people who get far without out. I for one, will go. :)
    +5
    Ask Bill Gates!
  • BigFig#9 2012/07/27 21:19:32
    BigFig#9
    +3
    Its up to each individual, their carreer goals, their income goals and their personal development goals. Lots of people don not attend college to be rich or necessarily to pursue a specific career path - many go for enrichment....
  • Juan O'Mara 2012/07/27 21:19:02
    Juan O'Mara
    +2
    I am doing fine in my current career without any college
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/07/27 21:18:44
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    you've got to prove yourself to get along and get ahead these days.
  • Bob DiN Mark In... 2012/07/27 23:51:14
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Then why are so many College Graduates out of work.
  • Mark In... Bob DiN 2012/07/28 01:30:52
    Mark In Irvine
    nobody ever promised anybody a rose garden. i'd bet that more college graduates are working these days than people who have only a high school diploma.

of course, lots of people who express opinions on lots of things think that a college education is not necessary"these days". i remember that lack of education makes a populace more credulous and likely to accept political demagoguery without critical examination. that's not good for the USA IMHO.

2014/08/02 00:37:44