Do You Feel Compassion For The Downtrodden And Homeless?

Geezertalk 2009/04/24 14:12:28
Other

• Mallory(: 2009/05/08 22:41:53
    Other
    Mallory(:
    I do because i have a good heart. But then again, i dont. cause most of the time, its THEIR fault. they are normal just like us, they can get a job and support theirselves.
  • Sleepytiredgirl 2009/05/04 00:47:28
    Sleepytiredgirl
    I never try to judge them. You do not know what they're situation may have been, what horrible trials or tribulations they may have been through. I give what I can, whether its a snack I may have, or some change.
  • DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Tru... 2009/04/30 12:17:50
    DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Trust ♥
    I know people who have been.
  • Tamm 2009/04/30 01:44:27
    Tamm
    Everyone of us is 1 disaster away from homelessness, I was homeless along with my husband and children many years ago, people are mean and cruel, but thank God that there are those that show compassion, had it not been for them I really don't know if we would have made it out of that situation. Sure it's easy to only care about who you know but it takes a real human being to care for others!
  • SABLE 2009/04/27 17:33:32
    SABLE
    I saw a man this morning with a sign, "I need work". This shouldn't be in America.
  • Kiss my Bean 2009/04/27 17:00:36
    Kiss my Bean
    I do because I have been there. Even if they are alcoholics or drug addicts, they still need love.
  • Rome is burning 2009/04/27 16:54:00
    Rome is burning
    Not even slightly. I live in a big city (Detroit) and my interactions with the homeless has always proved to me that they are lazy selfish alcoholic pieces of trash. I have yet to meet a homeless person that breaks that steriotype. People that are homeless from foreclosures and other circumstances beyond their control are living in hoovervilles or with extended family, not bumming change on the streets of Detroit.
  • buh bye 2009/04/27 05:00:09
    buh bye
    +1
    yes i do...
  • will miss ya! 2009/04/27 04:56:58
    will miss ya!
    +1
    I feel for everyone who needs help.
  • blueoval57 2009/04/26 20:43:54
    Other
    blueoval57
    *SOMETIMES*! When I was a student at Robert Morris College in Pittsburgh, I used to throw the bums a buck or two on the 6th Street Bridge, but I quickly realized this was a racket and they potentially could quickly amass more money this way, than by working. bums buck 6th street bridge realized racket amass money working
  • Ally 2009/04/26 16:02:46
    Ally
    I do feel compassion for them, but if they are like the one in that picture, then I will lose respect for those particular ones.
  • Priestofdisorder 2009/04/26 07:07:37
    Priestofdisorder
    Most of the time, i feel bad for people ending that way
  • DyingToKnowYouLoveMe 2009/04/26 06:31:54
    DyingToKnowYouLoveMe
    well it depends on their situtaion..
    If some people are going to be that lazy enough not to even get a job..
    but if a young person was kicked out by their parents for the simple thing that they are tired of them..
  • deadhead509 2009/04/26 03:10:03 (edited)
  • fastscout 2009/04/26 03:09:53
    fastscout
    they are sitting on the side of the road.... DOING NOTHING TO TRY AND HELP THEMSELVES
    and then theres people that give em' money...al there gonna do is but alchohol or drugs
  • Iquit 2009/04/26 03:04:06
    Other
    Iquit
    Depends on the reason they have no home, or are poor, if it was because they blew it on drugs, i have no sympathy, but if they were a war veteran or just had bad luck I feel sorry for them.
  • OhMyMeow 2009/04/26 00:23:30
    Other
    OhMyMeow
    if they reek of alcohol, then not really, but otherwise i try to help as much as possible
    reek alcohol
  • divajinx 2009/04/25 23:20:20
    Other
    divajinx
    +1
    It depends on their circumstances. If they are honestly out of resources and down on their luck, yes, I feel bad for them. If they're just plain lazy, then NO!
  • Hayley 2009/04/25 22:51:20
    Hayley
    +2
    Unfortunate circumstances can afflict anyone. You never know what brought a person to theat point.
  • Fef 2009/04/25 22:08:26
    Fef
    +2
    Whether they made bad choices or had bad breaks, I pray they get back on their feet, find a job or someone to care for them.
  • kalynn 2009/04/25 21:19:22
    kalynn
    Of course I do.
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2009/04/25 20:15:44
    Other
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +1
    It depends on how they got into their situation. I have no sympathy for people who ruined their lives with drugs, booze or gambling but my heart goes out to the ones who were dealt a bad hand in life when they were good, honest working people at one time. Unfortunately, I cannot do much to help because I am on SS and even though my husband works hard, we have a tough time taking care of ourselves right now.

I am sick most of the time and struggling to keep up with medical expenses, etc but I do care about others and feel for those who wound up in dire straights through no fault of their own-(job loss, poor health, accident, etc). Look at our vets for example. Those guys struggle everyday!!!
  • jeb 2009/04/25 19:40:21
    jeb
    +2
    I put myself in their shoes, I feel sad for them.
  • Stinky 2009/04/25 19:25:47
    Other
    Stinky
    +1
    Sometimes. Some people chose to live in poverty, as strange as that sounds. If someone asks for help I try to help. There's only so much one person can do.
  • Chuck 2009/04/25 19:20:21
    Chuck
    +2
    Normally I do, but when he is standing there smoking a cigarette and drinking a bottle of gin it can be difficult, he isn't there because of luck or misfortune, his own actions definitely played into it.
  • rebecka 2009/04/25 19:17:34
    rebecka
    +1
    yea they have nothing and they r poor would u want 2 have no home? so help out the poor yea poor 2 home poor
  • ishqboli 2009/04/25 17:18:18
    Other
    ishqboli
    +2
    not really... i have to know them to have sympathy, because the first assumption i make is that it´s their own fault, but of course that isn´t always the case. i think if i knew a homeless person and knew his story, i would have sympathy if i saw that it was really just bad luck that got him there.
  • Matt 2009/04/25 17:09:05 (edited)
    Matt
    +1
    I have compassion for the homeless. But my idea of compassion for them is probably very different from alot of people.

I dont feel like going into details right now but ill just leave this old quote and let you guys put it together.

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
  • Chuck Matt 2009/04/25 20:06:45
    Chuck
    +1
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him to use the net and he won't bother you for months.
  • Fallout 2009/04/25 16:34:46
    Fallout
    +1
    Everyday
  • Waldy1 2009/04/25 16:17:09
    Waldy1
    +2
    I have never been homeless because I have family and we take care of each other.
  • Charlie 2009/04/25 14:52:32
    Charlie
    +1
    There are a number of reasons why someone may be homeless.Nothing wrong with a little compassion.
  • hot4teacher 2009/04/25 11:39:12
    hot4teacher
    We all live on a balancing beam of life, ever hoping not to fall but always knowing there is a chance. Life is a 50/50 shot at best, so enjoy every minute life is beautiful.
  • Wintermute ~ Tape Operator 2009/04/25 09:37:03
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2009/04/25 09:03:55 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    I have physically helped three people get off the street. This past year it was a girl that had lived on the street from age 12 and she was 36 now. I got her an apartment, furniture, all the things to set up a house from bedding, towels and even food in the cabinets.

I got her a new small TV and Microwave.

I got her a full makeover with new clothes, new hair, make up.

I took her to the doctor, dentist and eye doctor.

I got her a real good paying job that she could easily do. It paid three times of minimum wage. She would make more than enough for rent, food and money extra to live on.

I helped her with additional work on the side that I she helped my with so she could have some cash to buy a few things for frills so she wouldn't spend rent money.

I also helped her with areas in her life that she needed help with such as minor math, and simple concepts to help her set up a simple budget and also simple reading.

She was not a stupid person....she just never had that parent to teach her to get through life.

She is still working...even though she slipped down to part time for awhile because he was enjoying Sponge Bob too much. She found another place to move into because someone was giving her a bad time at the place she was at.

I grew up in a home with a mom that always helped the ...''

'

I got her a new small TV and Microwave.

I grew up in a home with a mom that always helped the homeless. We always were bringing food from the church to the homeless food center. I can't remember a time we didn't.

I support two little girls, one in Peru and one in India. I was able to visit my little girl in Peru and we have a very special connection.

I have been helping people in third world countries most of my adult life. I have helped build a hospital in Nepal and we support a orphanage in El Salvador, church/community centers in Peru, Churches in Cuba, homes, churches, wells, orphanages, hospitals in third world countries.

We are suppose to be compassionate to other people and I can't imagine being any other way.
  • Iquit Hula gi... 2009/04/26 03:08:20
    Iquit
    +1
    Wow, it takes a very amazing person to be so selfless and generous.
  • piscesgirl 2009/04/25 08:53:36
    piscesgirl
    yeah..only maniac ppl doesnt
  • Maine Guy 2009/04/25 08:35:24 (edited)
    Maine Guy
    +1
    It's only Nazi Republicans that have no compassion. nazi republicans compassion nazi republicans compassion nazi republicans compassion
  • Selfish Maine Guy 2009/04/25 14:19:53
    Selfish
    +3
    Stop grouping people by false assumptions
  • Maine Guy Selfish 2009/04/26 06:17:26
    Maine Guy
    Let's see now, Republicans: torture, muder, wiretapping, treason, obstruction of justice etc, etc, etc. Hardly a false assumtion.

2014/07/24 08:44:05