Do You Feel College Students Are More or Less Independent Than a Generation Ago?

GMR 2012/05/09 17:23:11
It's about that time of year, when high school graduates prepare for the next phase in their lives: College. For many students, it's an uncertain and unpredictable stage. They're starting over in a big way, but know it will be more uplifting and exciting than the transition into high school. College is that ephemeral life-limbo where Facebook started, where "Animal House" took place, and where you (supposedly) decide what to do for the rest of your life.

Whether you're going into college, went to college "back in the day," or are hoping to go at some point in the future, take our 6-question Quick Poll when you get the chance and let us know what your experience was like, or how you expect it to play out.

• yaishi meem 2012/06/08 00:14:45
    More
    yaishi meem
    oh let me think... DUHHHHH!!!!!
  • M Mostayen Billah Al Faysal 2012/05/24 16:30:18
    More
    M Mostayen Billah Al Faysal
    Seriously!!!
  • daniel.townsend.984 2012/05/19 02:26:51
    More
    daniel.townsend.984
    cuz they are more self reliant
  • DeCaf 2012/05/16 03:00:59
    Less
    DeCaf
    This was a no brainer
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/05/15 22:03:15
    More
    MOMMA THOMAS
    MORE AND LESS, DEPENDING ON THE STUDENT.... THEY HAVE WAY MORE INSTANT INFORMATION THAN WE DID, BUT POSSIBLY NOT THE INDEPENDENT THINKING ABILITY... AND THOSE WHO MUST RETURN HOME AFTER GRADUATION OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T ACQUIRED TOTAL INDEPENDENCE.
  • ~unloved~(❤coco❤) 2012/05/15 15:52:15
    Less
    ~unloved~(❤coco❤)
    there are loans now
  • themontage 2012/05/14 07:00:49
    Less
    themontage
    +2
    A education should be free. Illegal Immigrants(Dream Act) can come from another country and pay cheaper fees than a person going to college from a different state.... Wth.... Colleges are over charging students for education. Especially considering the pay grads are receiving.
    The real question American students should ask is Why should a 22 yr old college student be forced to pay back 30,000 in student loans but a 22 yr old welfare mom does not have to work or pay a dime back they get housing food and money all for free. American student need to ask America Why are we punishing those who do right. higher taxes having to pay back loans but a welfare parent can keep having babies and dont have to pay a dime.
  • Xinea 2012/05/14 05:03:59
    The same
    Xinea
    +1
    I was just speaking to someone who went to UC Berkeley, and I asked him how he managed to afford it. He said "In my day, it cost about 3,000 a year." Looking at my award letter, with financial aid, I still have 13,000 to make up. I understand most people seem to think our generation is getting more spoiled, but don't you think that with the advancements in technology and efforts to make our lives easier, standards have gotten that much higher? I hate to say screw you to those who seem to think they're so much superior just due to age, but... you were teenagers once, and at least as an age group if not each of you individually, you did get help, and we will too.
  • dandieselonian 2012/05/13 14:54:42
    Less
    dandieselonian
    Our society has been degraded in every respect except for the wealthy.
  • T 2012/05/12 21:06:49
    Less
    T
    +1
    I think on a mental level, students are about the same in independence from a generation ago, but on a fiscal level, it's impossible to be as independent as the previous generation just because the cost has skyrocketed when funding sources (or even pay from working to put yourself through college) has gone down when considering inflation.
  • Anna Mannino 2012/05/12 15:30:49
    Less
    Anna Mannino
    I've noticed more people are in constant communication with their parents like they never have before. They're texting, or on facebook, or emailing constantly, where as the generation before didn't have any of this. There used to be one phone in the hallway, and when your parents called you'd shout "I'm not here!"
  • TC1116 2012/05/12 11:15:41
    Less
    TC1116
    This generation expects everything to be done for them and careers to simply manifest themselves. Although there are probably exceptions to that, the majority are exactly that way. Most don't have a clue what really working for something is like...or the concept of "working your way up"...they want everything now, because that is how that have been taught. The problem is, when they run into an obstacle, they don't iniquities what to do...and everything is disposable. Doesn't work? Oh well...go to the next one. Relationships, business...they handle everything in life with casual, if not irresponsible" regard.
  • 2585661 2012/05/12 09:19:44 (edited)
    Less
    2585661
    They're drunken idiots who will end up with over $30,000 debt and still work at McDonalds until they retire living with their parents. You know it's true. LOL
  • Elizabeth 2012/05/11 23:47:48
    The same
    Elizabeth
    First, where you live has a big part in whether or not you can afford to live on your own considering most students only get a year or two of min. wage to save up. Second, atleast were trying to make something out of our lives. Third, the students actually making into college have most likely worked hard to get there, like me.
  • Rachel 2012/05/11 23:14:06
    The same
    Rachel
    +3
    I think it's about the same, I don't expect everything to get handed to me, it never has been. Also, to all of you others saying "this generation", remember you are the ones who've raised "this generation"...
  • Bob DiN 2012/05/11 21:41:22
    The same
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Not anymore independent but much wilderr in general.
  • Nestofasssps 2012/05/11 19:31:49
    The same
    Nestofasssps
    +3
    400 a month for a room shared in a house with six people, plus utilities food, bus fare.
    While being in college and working thru as well he is out of the house 60-80 hours a week.
    Earning minimum wage, he cannot afford to live on his own as yet. He gets fed, he gets a roof over his head, he hasnt got a car and doesnt drink. Hes my son and I will NOT see him on the streets while he furthers his education. Screw anyone who thinks he should do otherwise
  • Q 2012/05/11 17:55:42
    Less
    Q
    +1
    I read somewhere awhile back about overbearing parents becoming a nuisance at colleges across the country and that many are asking that they stay off campus and let their kids deal with the administration.
  • Q Q 2012/05/11 17:58:37
  • Dima 2012/05/11 16:26:17
    More
    Dima
    +1
    more
    once the generations develop once the independence increases
  • IamOjay 2012/05/11 16:14:10
    More
    IamOjay
    +1
    Hell thts wat I think..
  • Aksana 2012/05/11 15:57:16
    More
    Aksana
  • H-Dizzle 2012/05/11 15:55:00
    More
    H-Dizzle
    +2
    Wow...looking at a lot of these comments....there's a lot of old people on here.

Just sayin'....
  • MOMMA T... H-Dizzle 2012/05/15 22:04:46
    MOMMA THOMAS
    THAT'S RIGHT! ...GREAT GRANDMA
  • Sean 2012/05/11 15:32:57
    The same
    Sean
    +1
    I oppose Governments, Corporations, Academic Institutions, and Religions. Since this particular thread has to do with Academic Institutions, speak specifically to Academic Institutions.

Academic Institutions are not there to educate, they are not there to foster learning.

What would a true learning environment be?

A center where one could bring their idea out there, and put their idea to the test, if the idea is a success great, if it's a flop, than he's learned something! Or maybe aspects of the idea are great, and would be good combined with aspects of other ideas.

In a learning center, a true learning center, people would not be afraid of the learning process, there would be no tests, no degrees, no pass fail, people would look forward to participating, people would honor the learning process because the learning process is how one evolves, expands, and moves ahead.

In a learning center money would not be in the equation, however money would not be in the equation in all other aspects of life either, in fact none of the other 3 institutions would exist, and the mechanics of exchange would not exist in a sustainable world.

Academic Institutions are there to maintain the status quo, and they do that the same way as religions. The only difference is, religions teach ...

Academic Institutions are there to maintain the status quo, and they do that the same way as religions. The only difference is, religions teach you to believe in a deity, and to submit to a ruler! academic institutions teach you to believe in governments, and corporations and to submit to your rulers, and those being governments and corporations, business men, bankers, attorneys, judges, police, clergy, the parasite class that benefits nobody except themselves, that contribute NOTHING to civilization while reaping all of the benefits of people who DO contribute productive labor, invention, ideas, art, to civilization!

Academic institutions don't teach for example about things like Aeroponic Agriculture which would PUT AN END TO THE DAYS OF PAYING FOR FOOD, because that would put food producing corporations OUT of business! Academic Institutions will not teach you about sustainable ways of making thing like computers, vehicles, and other things we rely on, producing them in a way to have better longevity, more reliable, and upgradable, because that would put a stop to the mechanics of exchange.

Academic Institutions are there to indoctrinate people into the mechanics of exchange, and to make sure you don't know or even inquire about other ways of living.

The only classes in academic institutions worth taking are ANTHROPOLOGY classes, and if you're studying in an academic institution I strongly recommend taking an ANTHROPOLOGY as a general, or elective, that's the only type of class in an academic institutions because in an anthropology you'll learn about all the various kinds of economic system that humans have lived under, and you'll learn the one that has stood the test of time is the egalitarian system. What I advocate for is A TECHNOLOGICAL egalitarian economy.

However, you do not need to go to an academic institutions to study anthropology, or anything else! All you need in the modern era of time is THE INTERNET!

By the way, I am not singling out adult academic institutions, All academic institutions, elementary, high, university, BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH PUBLIC AND PRIVATE are leachers just like the business men, politicians, bankers, judges, attorneys, and all other parasitic occupations they teach, and support!

Which brings me to my last point, in the economic system I advocate for, Learning Centers would not have courses, course programs in legal, business, or 90% of any of the trash academic institutions teach because THOSE OCCUPATIONS WOULD NOT EXIST!
  • Prion I... Sean 2012/05/11 18:38:51
    Prion Indigo
    +1
    Anthro is not the only thing worth learning!
  • Sean Prion I... 2012/05/11 23:15:27
    Sean
    Okay Amber, I would include the sciences if they weren't funded by the governments, and corporations because that has too much of an influencing factor over how they're taught.
  • ID51 2012/05/11 15:07:02
    Less
    ID51
    +2
    This is the "entitlement generation." I saw it in my students when I was teaching, and I see if with my 23-yr-old son. Just because they breath, they should have/get??? Don't think so. The world owes you NOTHING. You earn your place in the world through hard work and dedication. He's getting it - slowing.
  • Leah Thomas 2012/05/11 15:00:26
    Less
    Leah Thomas
    +5
    Just because I am a college student living at home with my parents does not mean I am a lazy reader with everything handed to me. I go to a metropolitan college that doesn't have on campus living and in my area the cost of living (even a rented room) is double what I earn with work study. But I have less than $2,000 in student loans. I would love to live independently but financially that is not a wise option. Jobs aren't guaranteed after graduation for my generation, I'd rather not hit the world of independence drowning in debt.
  • Link 2012/05/11 14:54:42
    Less
    Link
    +2
    I am not IN college, but am in a management position at a college....

I think more and more, students are not as independent... They rely even more on their parents for paying for their education, buying them a car, etc, etc, etc.... I see it all the time... young kids on campus driving Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc... No, not all, but a lot... and you can't tell me that the kids bought these cars themselves.... or at least most of them...
  • slyroxx 2012/05/11 14:44:41 (edited)
    The same
    slyroxx
    +6
    Stop making generalizations my friends and I worked our butts off taking AP classes and having summer jobs to get the money we need for college. We also filled out fafsa to get money we need so stop making us out to be lazy brats. Also, I missed my senior prom because I had to work. So by no means am I lazy. I would also like to point out that college is more expensive than it use to be. I'm sure you didn't have to pay 20,000 in your day
  • Pat 2012/05/11 14:16:36
    The same
    +3
    We're only moving back because there aren't any freaking jobs.
  • lucero Pat 2012/05/11 15:25:11
    lucero
    +1
    Is it that there are no jobs or no jobs you like?
  • slyroxx lucero 2012/05/29 19:18:59
    slyroxx
    There are no jobs period. You have older people in the typical teenager jobs. Trust me. I went to an interview a while back where a 30 year old married, father was competing against teenagers for a job at a movie theater.
  • becky.kuntz1 2012/05/11 03:08:10
    Less
    becky.kuntz1
    +2
    They still depend on mom and dad for everything! I had to pay for my education myself!!!
  • Reggie☮ 2012/05/11 02:09:46
    Less
    Reggie☮
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/05/10 21:57:05
    Less
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    When I took CLEP tests thirty years ago, nobody held a session to bubble in the dots below the letters of my vital statistics. Today we have to hold these sessions because today's kids will not or cannot read simply directions. Perfect example-my AP classes had their portfolios due to me two weeks ago. Today, the day before the final sending of work to AP, I still have kids who haven't bothered to upload their work. Some of these scholars get the $85 test paid for because they are on the free lunch program. They have been reminded in writing and verbally. At some point this generation is going to have to learn to live with the consequences of their own laziness. I worked full time and went to school full time all through college. Now I hear parents lamenting that their babies have to work ten hours a week to earn gas money. Give me a break. In earlier times, kids were adults when they could take on adult jobs. Many were 18 or younger hitting the beaches on Normandy. Yet today's kids don't seem able to do anything without a safety net.
  • pops 2012/05/10 21:09:52
    Less
    pops
    +2
    what good does education do if there are no jobs? It's like being a welder or a computer repair person,no money to be had.
  • Seonag 2012/05/10 20:02:32
    Less
    Seonag
    +1
    My daughter worked to help with college and has paid off her loans. She's now putting what would have been her loan payments into an account for her son's college education. I worked to help my parents pay for college (no Federal loans for me).
  • Red_Horse 2012/05/10 19:24:55

2014/07/31 21:46:27