Do You Consider Yourself Old-Fashioned or Open-Minded?

The Big Question 2012/08/24 23:42:45
Related Topics: Old-fashioned, Open, Old

• shane 2012/08/25 04:07:52
    Old-Fashioned
    shane
    +10
    It is very erroneous though to think that old-fashioned people don't have an open mind.

• Night71 2012/09/22 10:11:13
    Open-Minded
    Night71
    +1
    I go through life always learning.
  • Shirleywillow 2012/09/03 19:24:40
    Open-Minded
    Shirleywillow
    +1
    I am a little of both. I am open minded to the viewpoints of other people that make sense.
    I am old fashioned when it comes to how much our children are bombarded with violence and casual sex. I want our future generation to see how beautiful a sexual relation can be if you love the person you are with.
  • mischel... Shirley... 2012/09/03 20:54:47
    mischellene.ball
    I agree wholeheartedly with you. Whichever way they turn they see trash nowadays. It's a challenge to show them any wholesomeness anymore.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/09/03 01:46:22
  • avery johnson 2012/09/01 04:48:47
    Old-Fashioned
    avery johnson
    old fashioned in many ways and yet still an open mind to the way others operate
  • Swampdog PWCM 2012/08/30 17:39:21
    Open-Minded
    Swampdog PWCM
    Neither I'm Open-Fashioned and Old Minded.
  • MsDianna 2012/08/29 22:19:50
    Old-Fashioned
    MsDianna
    old-fashioned being open-minded can get you into a lot of trouble
  • Sheery 2012/08/29 05:43:41
    Old-Fashioned
    Sheery
    I like being old fashioned Today some that are open minded believe and fall for anything coming down the pike.
    I like to look at right.reason.values.morals decency.Based on facts or my personal judgement.
  • Dickens 2012/08/28 17:42:12
    Open-Minded
    Dickens
    +2
    ...why isn't there a "Both" as most people are a mix of each??
  • New Prussia 2012/08/28 17:24:13
    Old-Fashioned
    New Prussia
    +1
    i have an open mind but im more old fashioned and im proud of that
  • *SqU!R@L QuE3N* 2012/08/28 17:22:59
    Open-Minded
    *SqU!R@L QuE3N*
    +1
    but sometimes i could be old fashioned
  • Posha King 2012/08/28 17:07:58
    Old-Fashioned
    Posha King
    +1
    I am old-fashioned in my morals and attitudes towards society, but I don't live in a bubble. I am open minded about many things and have no problem growing, learning, changing, adjusting and reversing my position if presented with good information. But I also don't push my values and ideas off on others. I don't believe we should try to legislate morality. I believe that my values are mine and work for me. That's all, end of story. And I let others do and feel the same. I do believe that if PEOPLE, not the government, returned to SOME of the "old-fashioned" principles, our nation would be better served, but it would have to be genuine change of heart in the people or it wouldn't work. That's just me.
  • Angie 2012/08/28 10:13:45
    Open-Minded
    Angie
    +1
    There are some things I can be old fashioned about, (like the rules for my kids dating). But typically, I'm extremely open minded.
  • cheri.hickey 2012/08/28 05:35:56
    Old-Fashioned
    cheri.hickey
    +1
    A person can be old fashioned with an open mind!!
  • HillaryLover 2012/08/28 05:28:31
    Open-Minded
    HillaryLover
    Open minded and old fashion.

I am against Gay marriage, but I don't think the government should peek into the privacy of bedroom, rest stop stall, etc.

I believe marijuana should be legalized.

I believe the death penalty should be abolished.

I believe we need more rehap centers.

I don't believe we should privatize (for profit) our prison system

I believe the greatest movies ever made are forty plus years old.

Frank Sinatra is my favorite singer.

I believe Lyndon Johnson's contributions to the betterment of this country has been much aligned.

I adore Hillary Clinton.

I am not a fan of Barack Obama.

I never vote Republican.

I tear up at the mere mention of their names: Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson, Fannie Lou Hamer, the playing of the Star Spangled Banner, Jesse Owens, the Little Rock Nine, Joe Louis, D-Day commemorations, Schwerner-Goodman-Chaney, Viola Liuzzo, Thurgood Marshall, Sammy Davis Jr, Harry Belafonte, Lena Horne, Dorothy Dandridge, Sidney Poitier, George Washington Carver, Marian Anderson, Eleanor Roosevelt, Josephine Baker,

I can't stand gangsta rap.

Did I mention that I absolutely adore Hillary Clinton?

I
  • Camille Palmer 2012/08/28 04:19:36
    Open-Minded
    Camille Palmer
    I Am open to ALL the possibility that Life has to offer,..Like we ARE NOT ALONE IN THE UNIVERSE,..humanity is far OLDER than we have been brainwashed to believe, their is more than one entity that calls it's self GOD,..and None are our friends, as we would think of God traditionally. I Believe the Lost book of Enki and in part to the Emerald tablets of Thoth,..Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about.
    I believe "Lilith", "Inanna" and the "Moth man Prophecy's", and the movie "the 4th kind" are all Speaking of the same Entity's,...Long lived Ancient aliens that have a Serious GOD COMPLEXES,..again Not our friends.
  • vdehl 2012/08/28 03:06:09
    Old-Fashioned
    vdehl
    +2
    What a great group! 68% open minded people! Old fashioned means increasingly better. I guess it has always been so. "Til the old decline, they are better in many ways. After being on the planet for 50 years, a person has a much larger body of knowledge. The young are inexperienced, often misinformed, or lacking a background or a body of knowledge. ...But they have other bodies than of knowledge. I guess when they get old they'll feel the same. I hope we can all be civilized and benefit from each others advantages. wisdom
  • kfallslady 2012/08/28 02:48:00
    Old-Fashioned
    kfallslady
    +1
    actually both... I can see somethings one way, but have my own way of thinking in other things in life
  • RandomEcho 2012/08/28 02:28:50
    Open-Minded
    RandomEcho
    IF by open minded you mean very accepting of various things then yea I'd say I was but sometimes i can be old fashioned
  • Icon 2012/08/28 00:58:21
    Open-Minded
    Icon
    +1
    I like to think of myself as a good bit of both.
  • ttfndude 2012/08/28 00:51:04
    Open-Minded
    ttfndude
    been around the theatre too long
  • Stephen Oberkirch 2012/08/28 00:15:11
    Open-Minded
    Stephen Oberkirch
    +3
    Open minded. However, Old Fashioned is NOT the opposite of open minded. That would be closed minded. One may have an appreciation for old fashioned things and yet still be open to exploring new ideas and concepts.
  • Justagirl 2012/08/27 22:38:46
    Open-Minded
    Justagirl
    open-mind, open-heart..strive for it everyday, despite and to spite those that take advantage!
  • XRenX 2012/08/27 22:15:30
    Old-Fashioned
    XRenX
    +2
    I have morals that I will stand by and am proud to admit (regardless of my haters) that I am close minded to certain things. Certain things I happen to disagree with and will never try, so...
  • Camille... XRenX 2012/08/28 04:25:55
    Camille Palmer
    +2
    BULLY FOR YOU ! now days its hard to find people that are open minded about being OLD fashioned Morally. that does no connotation to being A Hater or hypocritical Bigot.
    I Am open minded too but I AM Old fashioned about Plain old fashioned indecency and immorality. but I draw the line in the sand On judging,...that's between you and your conscience to decide,..then live with the consequence of the after math. your life your choices.
  • LucyLucero 2012/08/27 21:38:26
    Open-Minded
    LucyLucero
    ****Clicked The Wrong Answer*****
    I have an open mind when it comes to religion and sexual orientation, but for the most part, I am old fashioned.
  • Mark 2012/08/27 21:30:08
    Old-Fashioned
    Mark
    +1
    They arent mutually exclusive
  • EdWhiteSpace 2012/08/27 21:26:41
    Old-Fashioned
    EdWhiteSpace
    +1
    Both. I believe in a certain set of values and principles and standards so I could be considered old fashioned. But I don't think a lot of what people rail and wail about today is against those principles and standards. Too many people say they are old fashioned when what they really mean is that they are too old and hate change or new thought.

Take music... I love a lot of new music. But I still think all the swearing is a waste. Its for people of limited talent that can't use better and more appropriate words. Am I old fashioned? Yeah. But since I like a lot of new music (including some hip hop that pushes language boundaries) then I'm open minded, too.

I think the gov. should stay out of bedrooms and gays should be able to marry other gays. Some would say that is open minded and not old fashioned. I think the right to privacy, wanting the gov. to stay out of personal lives and bedrooms, and not judging people based on who they fall in love with are old fashioned principles.

I guess its all in how you look at the person and issue. I still say, 'Both".
  • Camille... EdWhite... 2012/08/28 04:37:57
    Camille Palmer
    I Have to agree with you there. A civil /Court, Marriage, is a Contractual agreement between two Consenting parties, and should be granted the right to full protection under the law as any Corporation or Contractual agreement should and does have.
    But what Many Gays want, is to be accepted on a religious level, sanctioned by god In a church, and that is something NO person has the right or authority to grant. beside the fact it defies the separation between church and state. Churches asking the state to protect the definition of Marriage as Being Exclusive to opposite sex Unions/marriages. A fair proposal would be to Allow Civil unions between same sex partners, granting them inheritance rights, property divisions claims, Tax benefits, the right to adopt children. ETC ETC.
    and If a Church wishes to take responsibility of sanctioning a Union in the Church, and granting them recognition in Gods name,...that Is there right. BUT if a Church wishes to forestall making that Judgment on GODS BEHALF, or IN HIS NAME, Due to not having clear authority to do so, then there should BE No penalty for doing so. freedom of religion should not Interfere with conscience.
    if the same sex couple objects,..they are free to change THERE religion, RATHER THAN TRYING TO FORCE THERE RELIGION TO CHANGE TO SUIT THEM.
  • EdWhite... Camille... 2012/08/28 14:43:18
    EdWhiteSpace
    I do not know many gays who are demanding to be married in a particular church. I know some who are disappointed the church they grew up in sees them as bad because of who they fell in love with, but every one I spoke with sees it similarly to divorce... The gov. recognizes it even if some religions do not and some do. Churches can set their own rules based on what they believe. The problem is that the gov. cannot base their laws on the rules of a particular religion or its proponents, but has to treat all men equally. Me? I think the gov. should stay out of personal lives, make marriage a legal contract 'between two consenting adults', period, and then let each church / religion decide who they will marry or not. If the Catholic Church doesn't want to accept it, that is up to them. But the gov. (in my opinion) needs to. Not 'civil unions', but marriages done by either Justices of the Peace or churches that accept gay marriage.
  • GaolBlaze 2012/08/27 21:21:01
    Old-Fashioned
    GaolBlaze
    +1
    I'm both, I'm open-minded, but I wouldn't do a lot of things that I'm open to other people doing.
  • Mog of War 2012/08/27 21:11:43
    Open-Minded
    Mog of War

The lack of a both option displays a lack of knowledge of Ancient Greeks, or the Renaissance, or the Enlightenment. People of the old time were far more open-minded than most people are today. Non-sequiter is also at play here. The vote gives the impression that two things are on the same continuum which are in fact on two separate continua. Open-Minded is opposed to Closed-Minded, and Old-Fashioned is opposed to Contemporary, or "New-Fashioned". These are in fact two separate continua with no causal correlation.

So it's not a one or the other decision. One can be both, or neither, in the middle on both or either continua.
  • frank 2012/08/27 21:07:45
    Old-Fashioned
    frank
    +1
    You know, back when we had morals and a sense of decency.
  • Joel Buccellato 2012/08/27 20:57:59
    Open-Minded
    Joel	 Buccellato
    I keep an open mind to others' views. I'm also old fashioned, in my manners and a few views.
  • Frank 2012/08/27 20:33:58
    Open-Minded
    Frank
    I'm old fashioned, but think I am very open minded....
  • jenkiez 2012/08/27 20:23:46
    Old-Fashioned
    jenkiez
    +1
    and open minded
  • KingdomNow 2012/08/27 20:20:39
    Old-Fashioned
    KingdomNow
    +2
    ...and I don't believe that equates to a closed mind.

I know what works and there aren't really any new ideas, just people who haven't done enough research.
  • TrudyGirl 2012/08/27 20:17:10
    Old-Fashioned
    TrudyGirl
    +1
    Actually but you did not give me the option. Old Fashioned versus Open Minded saying you have to be one or the other. I have old fashioned values (that is not to say I am religious because I am not) and have a very open mind.
  • kofp 2012/08/27 20:16:52
    Old-Fashioned
    kofp
    +1
    It depends on what exactly.
  • TheHushedScreamer 2012/08/27 20:14:01
    Open-Minded
    TheHushedScreamer
    I'm open minded, I guess.
    Although, the one thing I'm not really open to is abortion. Of COURSE there aare exceptions to the case, but... yeah. I'm against abortion (under usual circumstances) and against the death penalty.

2014/09/22 16:20:57