Do You Blame Bernie Madoff in His Son's Suicide?

Related Topics: Marriage, Family, Money, suicide
It has all the elements of a Shakespearean tragedy. A patriarch driven by his fatal flaw (greed) ruins his family and pays the ultimate price when his son takes his own life.

And while people aren't really feeling sorry for Bernie Madoff -- the con artist who defrauded investors of billions of dollars in the largest Ponzi scheme in U.S. history -- in the aftermath of his 46-year-old son Mark's suicide this weekend, many have been struck by the horror of the young family man's death.

According to the New York Post, Bernie's wife Ruth is "totally disgusted with [Bernie] and blames him for her son's death. She thinks this is the end of the family," biographer Jerry Oppenheimer said.

Mark hung himself Saturday with a dog leash from a steel pipe in the living room of his downtown Manhattan loft, exactly two years after he and his brother Andrew reported their father to authorities. Mark's 2-year-old son was sleeping in his bedroom at the time; his wife Stephanie was vacationing at Disney World with their 4-year-old daughter, Audrey.

Neither Mark nor his brother Andrew have been charged in the fraud case. Both claim they didn't know about the Ponzi scheme until their father confessed just before they reported him.

But Mark was and still is a target of lawsuits naming him and his four children (two from a previous marriage) in an effort to recover some of the lost money. He was also reportedly becoming increasingly depressed as he struggled to find work on Wall Street.

Time will tell if Mark was in on the plot. But regardless of his last name, this story mostly hits home as the tragic suicide of a young father who couldn't seem to find work. We might not relate to Madoff, but most of us can relate to Mark.

Read More: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/ruth_...

• RICK 2010/12/14 01:17:20
    RICK
    +10
    Suicide is a cowards way out.When some one takes their life they may ease their own pain but inflict it on those who love them.His father failed him,now he has done the same to his children.

• Beccy 2011/04/03 23:29:31
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    He dragged his sons down with him
  • paris 2011/01/22 05:04:23
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    paris
    This madman has robbed and stole billions of dollars from innocent people-took their retirement money and those poor people don't have the years nor youth to make it up. Look at the great depression..many jumped out of windows.
    Then you have the son. He has to live w/ his shame, death threats, jail time maybe, his kids are hated, his wife insulted..the list goes on.
    Bernie did what he did--and everybody suffered b/c of him. The son could not take the pain. The pain his father caused everybody, including his own family.
    I know Bernie blames himself. He should. He caused the pain. the sob...
  • jhoy 2010/12/28 08:26:35
    jhoy
    although this fact adds to the reasons why he committed suicide,there's only one to blame and it's he himself because he is the one to decide for himself and not anyone else..
  • hey toots 2010/12/27 22:11:33
    hey toots
    No... and, I Don't necessarily Believe that he wasn't "Suicided"... Not only are the reported circumstances very strange, there is no real Proof... and of course, the body was quickly and conveniently cremated.. Regardless, I have learned Not to automatically suck up Every-Thing They tell us, without question..
  • mcffoster 2010/12/26 03:21:12
    mcffoster
    Ultimately, each of us are responsible for our own actions. Yes, he probably was harrassed and embarassed at what his father did but he was only responsible for his own role in that family.
  • This is W³ 2010/12/23 01:38:46
    This is W³
    While it was Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme that wrecked the lives of his former investors and brought shame to the Madoff name that became a significant factor in his son's suicide, the decision for the son to end his life was his and his alone. The newest victims of this tragedy are Mark Madoff's children.
  • marchantmarchant 2010/12/22 13:26:11 (edited)
    marchantmarchant
    Although what Madoff did was despicable, he could not control the actions of his adult son. This is truly a tragedy for this family and it is sad that Madoff's son could not find a way to solve his problems with whatever led him to take his own life and now the children he left behind, no longer have a father. Truly a tragedy and I pray that the family will find a way to live with this tremendous loss. Yes, Madoff is not an individual to be admired but no one deserves to lose his or her child.
  • sodajerk2 2010/12/22 10:00:36
    sodajerk2
    I can understand the pressure he had to face everyday.
    Tragic for the whole family.
  • 24_7greenearth 2010/12/22 04:00:35
    24_7greenearth
    Bernie Maddof or whatever is name was is no exception; most money crimes r committed by those of jewish decent; what is a crime is understating this fact; if it was a Muslim committing this crime the news would be all over it and no one would know the man name; all the papers would say is financial terrorist; As for suicide ofcourse not the sone was enjoying all the perks; if it was anyone fault it was wall street greed and which relegion runs walls street?
  • paris 24_7gre... 2011/01/22 05:12:08
    paris
    And thank God the Jewish run Wall street. What got them there? Brains. Education. Why t-f does everybody blame the Jews? Good for them !!! They're not trying to cut our heads off or bomb buildings. They are our doctors, our chemists, our surgeons..and so much more...
    Try telling the E.R. you don't want a Jew doctor helping you.-you'll die faster.
    And btw..if you're a Christian, you worship a Jew.
  • 24_7gre... paris 2011/02/04 03:17:27
    24_7greenearth
    sorry gone r the days Jews were doctors now it appears most of them r attorneys, as asians indians Pakistanis, and even Arabs have taken over the medical field and they r d--n good and no one is dying faster; as for Christians worhshipping a Jew-sorry I thought Jews killed him and do not believe in Christ
  • Ivana 2010/12/21 00:23:39
    Ivana
    the man did bother his son a lot, but instead of suicide...you could just leave the house or done something else like getting his own life
  • Di 2010/12/20 01:51:12
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    Di
    Maybe it wasn't a case like father like son......move, pray, change identity, live in a $80,000. home, eat beans-------take your own life for the all mighty $$$$$$ is a bit much. What about the children?????? I would never know because i could not understand having that kind of Money and not helping some other people less well off. Root to all EVIL...GREED is a B----!!! MORE-MORE-MORE.. Only you, yourself and you are in that pine box----it's not worth it. Less is better in this case because every one wants more, it is never enough.... Why did his dad need 5,000. house slippers and he corns, dry heals, an ingrowns??????
  • Howd 2010/12/19 23:07:28
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    Howd
    Sure I do. While he is out of the public eye. His family will pay the price.
  • viola 2010/12/19 22:38:05
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    viola
    Yes, the sins of the father are visited upon the child. In this way it is really sad.
  • Julieann 2010/12/19 17:00:18
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    Julieann
    How could this answer possibly be no? Would his son be dead if his father wasn't the biggest crook on the planet in this century????
  • hardspace 2010/12/19 08:55:06
    hardspace
    boo fkln hoo to the whole bunch of them crooks they all knew what was up . i think its a farse i think he faked his death and i think ruth is hoping for some sympathy boo hoo i cant live with myself if i dont have a billion dollars .... give me a break
  • WilliamPeebles 2010/12/19 04:48:16 (edited)
    WilliamPeebles
    How am I supposed to know what he was thinking at the time when he committed suicide? His father could have been a strong influence, but it was ultimately his decision to kill himself.
  • donald 2010/12/19 02:59:53
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    donald
    To those who claim "No": If his dad's character was not as a highway robber's laying low waiting in the shadows as not to reveal his true intent, would that encourage the violation of this young man's life? Do I need to answer? Here once again the wisdom of the Bible is validated, "the love of money is the root of all evil" and to those who claim this to be a mute point, you are the reason that the world is the way it is.
    No, suicide is a choice you make.
  • JK 2010/12/18 17:35:56
    JK
    Although I answered "NO" to the question, I think that Bernie has reason to hold himself accountable. Mark on the other hand, made a decision on his own to do what he did. There is no one to blame but himself. I can understand the "why's" about the incident. Those who try to destoy others only end in destroying pieces of themselves in the end.
  • Don 2010/12/17 15:02:14
    Don
    Sometimnes when you do something like this, it is because you can't forgive yourself for the part you had to play in current events. I think his sons and wife were all involved, and their greed, and dishonesty led to his self destruction
  • nefertari 2010/12/17 14:52:23
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    nefertari
    All the disgrace he has caused due to his greediness for money has fallen on his kin, which in turn made it difficult to find a job because of the name MADOFF. BERNIE WILL HAVE THIS ON HIS CONSCIENCE FOREVER. I feel sorry for his sons.
  • kate 2010/12/17 09:10:00
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    kate
    He put his children in an impossible situation. It would be very difficult to live with this. Especially if you aren't a sociopath like Bernie.
  • PRAYER WARRIOR 2010/12/17 09:05:14 (edited)
    PRAYER WARRIOR
    MEN IN BLACK

NO HE SHOULD NOT BE BLAMED, THE PEOPLE WHO MURDERED HIS SON AND CALLED IT A SUICIDE SHOULD AND WILL B BLAMED FOR THIS MAN'S DEATH.

SUICIDE IS A WEAK, COWARDLY WAY TO GO AND MARK AND HIS BROTHER PROVED THEY WERE NOT COWARDS BY WHISTLE BLOWING ON THEIR OWN FATHER.

THIS WAS A HIT JUST LIKE WITH DAVID CARRINGTON...

STOP BELIEVING ANYTHING THE NEWS REPORTS THESE DAYS AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH. WHY WOULD HE KILL HIMSELF FOR LACK OF WORK. THERE ARE PROBABLY BOOK AND MOVIE DEALS LINING UP FOR THIS FAMILY.

THE MOTHER WAS ONLY "I AM A CELEBRITY..........." BEFORE THE TRIAL.

WAKE UP PEOPLE***WHO AT THE TOP SUFFERED BECAUSE THE PONZI SCHEME WAS EXPOSED BY THE SONS. ANDREW NEED TO WATCH HIS BACK ALSO OR HIGHER SECURITY FOR HIMSELF, SOMEONE HE KNOWS AND WHOM HE CAN TRUST. THIS FAMILY DRAMA IS NOT OVER YET, NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!

sons andrew watch higher security trust family drama shot HITMAN
  • hardspace PRAYER ... 2010/12/19 08:58:17
    hardspace
    thank you
  • Myrle Hulme 2010/12/17 08:39:56
    Myrle Hulme
    Indirectly it is the fathers fault, but what happens to his son when he finds his father hanging from a pipe?
  • Pamela Robinson 2010/12/17 00:15:39
    Pamela Robinson
    +2
    Maybe partly responsible. I'm sure the fellow felt a lot of guilt for turning his dad in but the dad should have known better.
    Our family has dealth with a suicide so we know what it can do to a family. The children get cheated out of a parent and the husband/wife usually share some of the blame. It's a very selfish thing to do but nontheless, very sad indeed......
  • *RASTA TA'AHiNE* 2010/12/16 19:06:07
    *RASTA TA'AHiNE*
    family is family...im not really sure.
  • Bill 2010/12/16 16:15:42
    Bill
    I think he would probably have to change his name and move, but if I were him I don't think I would blame my parents for my suicidal tendencies. He looked like a young man with a lot of potential, who could have gone far by just playing it straight. Madoff's greed did him in, and I would have benefited from the experience.
  • maybaby 2010/12/16 15:29:59
    maybaby
    While the shame is on Bernie Madoff and the guilt he will feel will be forever Mark was a young man who could have changed his name and gone to another state across the country or even another country and started over. He let the shame and greed of his father get the best of him.
  • Obama666 2010/12/16 15:11:34 (edited)
    Obama666
    His choice
  • akemhn 2010/12/16 10:28:51
    akemhn
    family is a comprehsion, cooperative.
    partly responsible
    life is odd, great gift never to discard like this
  • sabrina 2010/12/16 08:06:09 (edited)
    sabrina
    +1
    No, each person is responsible for their own actions. It's very tragic. He was probably extremely depressed. Who wouldn't be? They went from being a highly respected family to pariah status.

It could also be that he feels guilty. As I remember he and his brother were the ones who turned his father in.

But either way, he made the decision himself. I wish he could have found a way to live and maybe do some good in this world to make up for what his father did.
  • strawberry 2010/12/16 06:35:04
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    strawberry
    Bernie Madoff's son had a choice, but guilt can be very powerful. I believe Madoff's son Mark was a victim of his own father for many, many years. It is difficult to not remain loyal or believe in your own father. Yes Bernie Madoff's son would have to live with a tarnished name, but there could also be much more. Mark was split between his own values, and loyalty to his cheating father. Bernie Madoff was the grandfather of his children. Mark may have been part of his father's corrupt greed, and in the end suffered the sins of the father. Adolf Hitler's entire family suffered the fate of a disgraced name for generations. In life it is not always our judicial system who invokes the final verdict.
  • daya 2010/12/16 06:16:07
    daya
    +2
    I don't like to be condemning; I can't possibly be judge and jury here, after all this is a person who decided to commit suicide we're talking about. Bernie Madoff's actions had cataclysmic cascading effects in so many directions. I can't even imagine the misery he experienced in his life, how could he possibly know what he was doing and not feel miserable? How deluded he must have been. Tragic. And now that there was talk of the sons being held accountable for the actions of their father (and let's face it, they too were probably active agents) the son couldn't take it?

Parents really impact their children's lives, and sometimes they don't find out till later how their own personal defects have impacted their children and made life miserable for them. We never want to hurt our children, but somehow we do. Then it's their burden to carry and hopefully heal, recover, and build something positive in their lives. I've experienced this as a daughter and as a mother. Life is interesting.
  • A1fonzie 2010/12/16 05:24:29
    Yes, it's Bernie Madoff's fault
    A1fonzie
    Wow, wife vacationing with 4-yr old and husband at home with the 2-yr old. I want to change my vote. It wasn't Bernie, it was something going on in his household.
  • enlightened one 2010/12/16 04:53:16
    enlightened one
    Mark's suicide was an act of severe desperation even though suicide is the ultimate surrendering the fight for life. It is permanent and irreversible. I really believe that Madoff's influence and his audacity of taking other peoples' life-savings was extremely vile - and that being the courts ruled and Madoff was rightfully sentenced to 150 years in prison, the impact surely ripped into his family. Mark seemed to have been suffering from employment problems and that along with the conviction of his father contributed to his fatal decision. Mark must have been nothing like his infamous father. But then his father is probably in one of the best Federal Prisons in the country with lots of country club perks. His family is left holding the burden on the outside.
  • hb 2010/12/16 04:49:36
    hb
    it is a cowards way out
  • Brad hb 2010/12/16 11:00:30
    Brad
    +3
    So someone who commits suicide is no hero. I'm sure that's exactly how one feels about himself leading up to the desperate act. But so what? People rarely commit suicide when in their right mind. They are usually in the grips of a neurochemical condition referred to as 'clinical depression'. Clinical depression is not ordinary depression. Though it can be triggered by ordinary depression, and ordinary stresses in life, etc., it is something else altogether. When in this state, a person can't see reality for what it is, nor what it might realistically be made to become. It's not far from being delusional (and in extreme cases, some even develop temporary but frank psychotic symptoms), where one's brain is no longer under the control of the person's will, and instead the person's will is under control of a misfiring brain. Accurately judging a person's character/personality by their actions when they are in this state, is nearly if not completely impossible; not to mention pointless and unproductive.

2014/12/18 11:36:08