Do you believe in Sin?

Sister Jean 2012/10/07 15:07:17
Related Topics: Sin

• Rave 2012/10/07 16:04:58
    Rave
    +5
    I believe in harmful and wrong behavior which causes sadness, misery and unhappiness to others or yourself. And I've found that some form of karma tends to exist, maybe through a domino effect. You put something negative out there and eventually it'll hit you back. There is a consequence to every action, that is how nature works, which means that people must take into consideration their behavior and try to live peacefully among others and themselves.

But I don't believe in a divine entity monitoring that everyone behaves. Although sometimes the idea of that might be nice. Knowing that there is justice in everything, unfortunately I can't believe that's the case.

• Beto 2012/10/09 19:51:17 (edited)
    Beto
    The word sin, as used in the following New Testament passage, is translated from the Koine' Greek word, 'ημαρτον or hamarton, (Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;) The word, sin "hamarton", means (missed the mark).

The apostle, Paul, in his letter to the Romans, writes by inspiration stating that ALL (every one) has SINNED, (come short of God's Glory). The heart of the matter is this ...

1. God is the source of the statement.

2. God says ALL have SINNED.

3. God says ALL Have MISSED THE MARK \ HAVE FALLEN SHORT OF HIS GLORY.

Who Is Innocent?

Who of mankind has attained God's Glory? Who has Hit the Mark, every time, without failure? Pure and simple, There is Sin! All, (Everyone) have sinned (With the notable exception of Jesus, who is the propitiation (Sin Covering).

The very Idea that there is no sin is the Devil's LIE and he is the Father of Lies.

1Jn 1:8-10 KJV

(8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

(9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

(10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Yes, I belie...

1. God is the source of the statement.

2. God says ALL have SINNED.

Who Is Innocent?

1Jn 1:8-10 KJV

Yes, I believe in the reality of SIN.

Yes, I am a sinner.

Father God, please forgive all my sins, in the Name Of Jesus, my Savior. Amen!

Does all of this matter to the atheist/Agnostic?

Let God be true and every Man a liar...
  • Sister ... Beto 2012/10/09 23:18:56
  • T-dub 2012/10/08 22:36:44
    yes
    T-dub
    In Greek, 'sin' is an archery term of when someone "misses the mark". The mark is God's perfection, so whenever we miss the mark we therefore sin.

Many people miss this mark all the time, but even in a non-faith-based-approach, even an agnostic or atheist can fall under the category of sin. I say this because even those who may not being in God or a god, they may have their own standard of living and not always live up to that standard, therefore end up missing their own mark.

Just some things to consider, knowing that we are all sinners. Not that we need to embrace this, but rather understand this and work to be better.
  • Ma La 2012/10/08 08:29:37
    Ma La
    It depends on how you define sin. If you define it as breaking God's law or as in doing something displeasing to God, no, I don't believe in sin. I believe the Creator's law is Natural Law, which cannot be broken, ie, the law of gravity, and that the Creator is nirvair, a little hard to translate, but something like without anger, without hatred, without emnity, without negativity. In short, my Creator is not displeased with Its creation.

If you define sin as doing things that are injurious to myself or others, certainly sin exists and is obvious.

negativity creator displeased creation define sin injurious sin exists obvious
  • LotusBecca 2012/10/08 04:04:36
    no
    LotusBecca
    Nope. Don't believe in sin.
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/10/08 02:10:25
    yes
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    It is too prevalent today to not believe in it.
  • dharmendra.behera.547 2012/10/08 02:07:49
    yes
    dharmendra.behera.547
  • kent 2012/10/08 01:35:00
    kent
    Whatever anyone wishes to call it, I do believe in moral reprehensibility. Abandoning moral values or ethical standards translates to "sin" for some but essentially it is a failure of us to consider a larger responsibility to the social and moral fiber of our common good.
  • Tim Upham 2012/10/07 23:56:26
    yes
    Tim Upham
    I love sin!
  • the spoiler 2012/10/07 23:00:06 (edited)
    yes
    the spoiler
    +1
    I believe that all of us sin
  • dave b 2012/10/07 20:56:11
    yes
    dave b
  • Julia Anne 2012/10/07 20:45:33 (edited)
    yes
    Julia Anne
    +1
    I use that word a lot for everyday life!!!! Passionate as sin, Making out in public is sin!!! I don't know It made sense at the time!!! I should rethink this of course :).

If you don't know this is what I try to avoid in life !!!

http://www.dummies.com/how-to...
  • Mecynogea 2012/10/07 20:27:48
    no
    Mecynogea
    Sins are in people's mind.
  • dave b Mecynogea 2012/10/07 20:55:21
    dave b
    Its just a matter whether you believe in right and wrong.
  • Mecynogea dave b 2012/10/07 21:27:09
    Mecynogea
    +1
    Or what you believe is right and wrong.
  • the spo... Mecynogea 2012/10/07 22:58:31
    the spoiler
    +1
    Sins are in people's actions
  • Mecynogea the spo... 2012/10/08 00:19:11
    Mecynogea
    +1
    But people act what they believe.
  • the spo... Mecynogea 2012/10/08 12:41:59
    the spoiler
    +1
    Right, It's their action
  • Mecynogea the spo... 2012/10/08 19:23:54
    Mecynogea
    Yep.
  • fisherman 2012/10/07 20:23:29
    yes
    fisherman
    +1
    all have fallen short of the glory of god , with those kind of odds , yeah , i think so .
  • Jim in SC 2012/10/07 20:06:13
    yes
    Jim in SC
    +1
    Yes. It is both simple and complex, and is more pervasive than any of us can understand.
  • kilroy 2012/10/07 19:38:39
    yes
    kilroy
    +1
    Yes esp when someone gets the last oreo cookie and anchovie*grins* Hiya Sister Jean~
  • cjd 2012/10/07 19:27:48 (edited)
    yes
    cjd
    +1
    yes--Jesus died for our sins
  • Missile 2012/10/07 19:23:38
    yes
    Missile
    +1
    I believe Iam a sinner saved by God's grace.
  • Jana~ una chica loca 2012/10/07 18:57:45
    Jana~ una chica loca
    +1
    I don't but I like that other people do, it sounds nice to be called a sinned LOL
  • Mikado Hikyuu 2012/10/07 18:31:47
    yes
    Mikado Hikyuu
    +1
    Absolutely i believe in sin.. they were explained clearly in the 10 commandments and since i am a Christian, those values have meaning for me.

What i do not accept are people trying to misquote the Bible to invent other sins.
  • ALofRI 2012/10/07 18:09:38
    no
    ALofRI
    +1
    But I keep practicing.
  • Dickens 2012/10/07 18:09:21 (edited)
    yes
    Dickens
    +1
    ...in my personal opinion, anything done to hurt someone else in any way, is a sin...love can conquer sin..
  • *SqU!R@L QuE3N* 2012/10/07 17:56:24
    *SqU!R@L QuE3N*
    i did but now idk
  • Zepland 2012/10/07 17:55:44
    yes
    Zepland
    +1
    Sin happens ever place 24/7 every day. And so does love.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/10/07 17:51:06
    no
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    I think we are pre-programmed to an extent. I've never killed anyone and I don't expect that I will in the future because I just don't have it in me. I can't do it.

Jeffrey Dahmer.......did he choose between becoming a cannibalistic serial killer or a banker.........I don't think he chose either.

Basically, I'm saying that there are no sins, we are only doing what we are capable of and that depends upon our environment and genetics.
    yes
    +1
    Call it whatever you want but it is a good word that describes the human dilemma.
  • Thought-a-Matic 2012/10/07 17:40:03
    yes
    Thought-a-Matic
    +3
    If you don't believe in sin after seeing all the evils of this world, then it's possible that you're a sinner and that you're in denial.
  • halfbreed 2012/10/07 17:39:47
    halfbreed
    I believe in Karma.
  • doctorwhofan 2012/10/07 17:39:32
    doctorwhofan
    I guess to the point that I believe "some things are bad and you shouldn't do them."
  • gkirmani 2012/10/07 17:37:04
    yes
    gkirmani
    +3
    YES I do and we must avoid to commit any
  • fcombs 2012/10/07 17:34:24
    yes
    fcombs
    +3
    Ying and Yang. Good and Evil. I don't think you even have to be religious to understand that sin exists. People who do not believe that sin exists are hedonistic individuals.
  • Mikado ... fcombs 2012/10/07 18:29:40 (edited)
    Mikado Hikyuu
    Yin.. not Ying.. but yes sin exists. i would never try to use Yin and Yang in describing sin.. Neither Yin nor Yang are evil. And Good and Evil are not balances on some cosmic scale.

If you think of life as a garden.. then good are all of the beneficial plants, that give of them selves, in their flowers and fruits and are not diminished in that giving.

Evil then are the weeds,that only take water and soil and sunlight away selfishly and give nothing in return.

A good garden can survive very well without weeds, just as we can survive very well without evil. We do not need one to teach us the other, as the garden example illustrates.

And we do not need weeds to appreciate the good plants of a garden.
  • fcombs Mikado ... 2012/10/09 08:07:59
    fcombs
    So sorry to have offended you with my incorrect spelling. I did not mean that either was sin - it was meant to mean opposites. My life has not been a garden - I don't know about yours. And I think a lot of people can say the same thing. I am not quite getting your garden analogy when the discussion is about sin.
  • Mikado ... fcombs 2012/10/09 12:20:19
    Mikado Hikyuu
    Too many people have been mislead to think that sin is some cosmic balance for good, that good would have no meaning with no sin - some people even intentionally embrace sin, claiming they are maintaining the balance and they commonly misinterpret Confucius and Yin and Yang - but neither Yin nor Yang are evil.

In the garden example, good is those plants that give of them selves and do not suffer in the giving - plants give beauty, plants bear food.

Evil then are the weeds that do not bear food or even flower but only steal the water and soil away from those that give.

The best description of evil i have ever heard was:

Evil is/are selfish acts that harm others.

That does not mean selfish like doing some thing for your self, or even eating the last piece of cake - but if you are stealing that cake from some one else, if your selfish act causes harm to others, then that is evil.

And again, just as with the garden example, good and evil CAN be defined separately, they do not need each other for balance or for meaning.

Sin, specifically, is evil acts against God.

While many people try to add to the list of sins, or confuse the dead laws of Moses with sins (actually NONE of the laws of Moses were sins, they were the 'abominations') in truth, the 10 commandments and true great commandments ...

While many people try to add to the list of sins, or confuse the dead laws of Moses with sins (actually NONE of the laws of Moses were sins, they were the 'abominations') in truth, the 10 commandments and true great commandments explain all of the actual sins except one.

Blaspheming against the holy ghost - to cast God out of your life.. that is the only unforgivable sin.

2014/07/31 07:37:45