Do You Believe in Life Outside of Earth?

deBrice 2012/07/03 20:00:00
Pictures of our solar system never gets old to me. I'm always amazed by the beauty of other planets and moons that used to be out of reach. But sometimes, something more profound appears. Once in a while, similarities with home are discovered.

Here is one, for example: After Europa -- one of Jupiter's moons discovered by Galileo Galilei -- NASA is almost certain that there is water under the surface of Titan.

The discovery was made after observing tides around 30 feet high on the surface of the moon, suggesting that Titan isn't entirely made of solid rock, but instead the surface would lie on a sub-ocean.

You might argue that there will be no light from the sun, therefore life cannot emerge, but studies on earth showed that water and heat is all life needs. And for the heat, it would come from the strong gravity from Saturn, intensely squeezing the planet during its 16-day orbit. Do you believe in life on the Saturn Moon?

NASA.GOV reports:
Data from NASA's Cassini spacecraft have revealed Saturn's moon Titan likely harbors a layer of liquid water under its ice shell.

spacecraft revealed saturns moon titan harbors layer liquid water ice

Read More: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/whycassi...

• deBrice dustin.... 2012/07/03 23:27:26
    deBrice
    I agree with you.
  • Red Pixy 2012/07/03 22:57:38
    Red Pixy
    +2
    i saw that on National Geographic so i believe it National Geographic
  • deBrice Red Pixy 2012/07/03 23:04:37
    deBrice
    if it's on TV...
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/07/03 22:47:34
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    +3
    I believe there is all kinds of life.Experts examining results from the Kepler telescope have identified more than 1,200 planets in orbit around distant stars, 54 of which are a similar size to Earth and in habitable zones from their suns. Now that's what we can see, now how about what we cant see.. I do think there is intelligent life more intelligent than us and also some not so far advanced than us.Just because we have not seen them does not mean they do not exist.. life on other planets
  • deBrice Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/07/03 22:56:30 (edited)
    deBrice
    The distance combined with the speed of light also limits the change of communication with those life forms (if any)
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ deBrice 2012/07/04 02:42:56 (edited)
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    True!! But if they could communicate with us do you really think they would want too.We are still quite a primitive species compared to the universe,and they would be so advanced,they would not want to bother with us.
  • sammanilla 2012/07/03 22:32:28
    sammanilla
    +2
    It would be arrogant to think of all the billions and billions of stars that we are the only intelligent live in the universe. It would be ridiculously foolish, too.
  • Reverend Hell 2012/07/03 22:27:35
    Reverend Hell
    +2
    I believe it wholeheartedly without question-
  • Dan 2012/07/03 22:22:59
    Dan
    +1
    When you think of how many stars are in the universe, with all the planets that orbit them, then it is more likely than not that life exists in numerous places.
  • JohnT 2012/07/03 22:04:04
    JohnT
    +2
    To think we are the only intelligent beings in or out of the universe is pretty sad indeed, so I do hope for others that actually have a very high intelligent level. We need all the help we can get.
  • deBrice JohnT 2012/07/03 22:05:40
    deBrice
    +3
    10 minutes of a mid-afternoon TV show will convince you that we are not that intelligent :p
  • Defcon 2012/07/03 21:54:55
    Defcon
    +1
    Bacteria has been found on Mars, but INTELLIEGNT Life is a mystery
  • deBrice Defcon 2012/07/03 21:59:53
    deBrice
    I'm not sure about bacteria on mars, do you have any source to corroborate your comment ?
  • Defcon deBrice 2012/07/03 22:30:57
    Defcon
    It was on the news
  • SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin 2012/07/03 21:26:17
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    how else can you explain lots of things?
  • deBrice SebaThe... 2012/07/03 21:46:06
    deBrice
    god man, you're really vague :p
  • SebaThe... deBrice 2012/07/03 21:47:27
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    whats that supposed to mean?
  • deBrice SebaThe... 2012/07/03 22:00:58
    deBrice
    that you are very vague in your answer, which might make sense for an Awkward Penguin
  • SebaThe... deBrice 2012/07/03 22:05:19 (edited)
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    if your being a dick on purpose your making yourself look like an idiot lol and how am i being vague? please explain, i'd LOVE to know
  • deBrice SebaThe... 2012/07/03 22:12:40
    deBrice
    First, you don't insult me. Commenting "...explain lots of things" is being vague. I was expecting from you to explain what you meant by "lots of things". I'm not interested anymore.
  • SebaThe... deBrice 2012/07/03 22:42:35
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    wow well if you were insulting me then i guess you cant take the heat lol its ok, most people cant, and its pathetically sad really. and i never asked or cared if you were.
  • deBrice SebaThe... 2012/07/03 23:03:39
    deBrice
    +1
    Yes, I totally understand that it is sad and pathetic that most people can't take your insults.

PS: Awkward Penguin is part of your nickname, "dick" isn't part of mine.
  • SebaThe... deBrice 2012/07/03 23:27:58
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    LOL ok..my point was directed at you because it seemed like you were insulting me. if you werent then tell me, or else this is getting nowhere.
  • k fleming 2012/07/03 21:15:27
    k fleming
    +1
    I lean toward no, I don't believe there is any higher forms of life of there. But I can accept there might be molds, plants and bacteria on other planets.
    It would not change anything with religion either, the Bible only calls animals that breathe true "life," so as a devout Christian that's my stance.
    Before you jump down my throat and tell me plants die and therefore are "alive" define what life is, My car "dies" but it's not alive, my computer dies, but it's not alive.
    Plants and bacteria are just complex chemical reactions.
  • deBrice k fleming 2012/07/03 21:47:21
    deBrice
    For computer... How to treat artificial intelligence. What if one day, we become creators?
  • k fleming deBrice 2012/07/03 21:51:24
    k fleming
    +1
    That's intelligence, even if it's capable of independent thought, it's still not alive.
    But it would have similar rights.
  • deBrice k fleming 2012/07/03 22:16:26
    deBrice
    I appreciate the way you perceive artificial intelligence.
  • Michelle k fleming 2012/07/03 21:52:30
    Michelle
    Plants are life. Plants "breathe" and "eat". Plants reproduce on their own. Plants grow. They replace cells which died. Most importantly, plants are made of cells.
    plant cell
    animal cell

Just like plants, bacteria also fits in the definition of life because bacteria consumes matter for energy, creates waste, reproduces, and has DNA. Bactria may be single-cell organisms, but they are still cells.

If plants and bacteria are just complex chemical reactions, so are we.
  • k fleming Michelle 2012/07/03 21:58:24 (edited)
    k fleming
    +1
    I was talking about literal air breathing, with lungs and diaphragms.
    And while we are made up complex chemical reactions, it's only a component, there is still self awareness and intelligence.
  • Michelle k fleming 2012/07/03 22:06:14
    Michelle
    Our lungs and diaphragms are only our tools for breathing to get air to the cells. Plants don't need lungs to get their air to their cells. Our "awareness" is simply electrical signals. And plants do have a sort of "awareness" ; for example, plants move on their own to be facing light sources. They don't have minds, they cannot think, but they still work for their own survival. Life is not defined by being self-aware. Life is not defined by having organs or a brain.
  • k fleming Michelle 2012/07/03 22:12:02
    k fleming
    Read my first comment again.
    I am using a different definition from you.
    Noah did not have to take 2 of every species that ever existed onto the ark, just two of every "kind" and only those in whose nostrils was the "breath of life."
    The rest had the tenacity to survive the harsh environment on it's own.
  • Michelle k fleming 2012/07/03 22:13:17
    Michelle
    Theological definitions have no place in a debate of science. Life on other planets? A debate of science.
  • k fleming Michelle 2012/07/03 22:21:22
    k fleming
    It's all perception.
    What you believe is out there, is only your belief, nothing more nothing less.
    No radio signals have been found, none of the ufo sightings have been substantiated, and as hard as we have looked on mars we still haven't found so much as a mold spore.
    You call call it "science" if you want, but if you do, I can call my definition science as well.
  • Michelle k fleming 2012/07/03 22:22:29
    Michelle
    Religion and science are not the same thing. Your definition is the biblical definition of life. Science defines life as cells.
  • k fleming Michelle 2012/07/03 22:28:55
    k fleming
    My premise was not that it wasn't "life." I said the HYPOTHETICAL discovery of a mold spore was not evidence to disprove the Bible.
  • Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2012/07/03 21:14:17
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    Simply for the mathematical probability .
  • deBrice Scott ヶ... 2012/07/03 21:49:22 (edited)
    deBrice
    +1
    Indeed, it's actually called the Drake equation:

Drake Equation for life

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... for more details
  • scbluesman13 2012/07/03 21:13:58
    scbluesman13
    +1
    How can there not be? Our own earth is 6-7 billion years old, and there's forms of life on it only just now capable of exploring planetary bodies close by. Of the billions of solar systems out there it would be incredibly ignorant of us (not to mention arrogant) to assume that we're the only planetary body with advanced forms of life on it.
  • deBrice scblues... 2012/07/03 21:51:52
    deBrice
    But one could say, with millions of species that live and lived on earth only one created an advanced civilisation and complex communication technology.
  • scblues... deBrice 2012/07/09 20:50:27
    scbluesman13
    Which would only be a testament to how random - and slow-moving - evolution can be. Because we live within life spans of only 60-100 years, our concept of time on an evolutionary scale, even just within our own solar system, is incredibly skewed towards our own self-interests.

2014/08/27 21:16:43