Do you believe in hypnosis?

Alan 2011/05/17 21:03:53
Related Topics: Fake

• Rams 2011/09/09 18:24:30
    Yes its real
    Rams
    First, we all have to agree on a definition of "hypnosis." This is something the medical community, the lay hypnotism community, and the academic community still don't do consistently. Some want to define it as a state in which a person bypasses the critical faculty of the conscious mind and becomes more suggestible. Others want to look at it as a certain range of brainwaves, usually the alpha and theta levels. Others think it's such a fluid state, and so hard to put your finger on, that it's better to just say hypnosis doesn't actually exist.

If we can create a general agreement that when we say "hypnosis" we're talking about a state in which a person becomes more suggestible, has better access to their subconscious mind, and goes into a sort of trance, then yes, I believe in hypnosis. As a professional hypnotist, I travel all over the country, mostly to colleges, and I hypnotize over a thousand people each year. It's really something you need to see in person before you judge it.

There are physical signs of the change in brain activity that you just can't fake. Not everyone gets the same signs, but there are a set of them that are very common. For example, many people have changes in the circulation of their blood when they go into hypnosis, and this shows up in tw...

There are physical signs of the change in brain activity that you just can't fake. Not everyone gets the same signs, but there are a set of them that are very common. For example, many people have changes in the circulation of their blood when they go into hypnosis, and this shows up in two ways. Some people will have the whites of their eyes turn pink as the capillaries in their eyes expand and push more blood. Their eyes don't get bloodshot; they turn this really even pink color. It's super cool. You'll also see fair-skinned white people get really blotchy as the capillaries in their skin bring more blood toward the surface of their body. The cheeks get rosy, the arms get blotchy, and you'll see women with lower-cut shirts get blotches on their chests. Even in an air-conditioned theater, you'll see guys sweating sometimes like they're running a fever, they get so hot.

Some people experience increased lacrimation; their tear ducts release more water than usual. The water pools up and sits on the lower lid of the eye, and occasionally a single tear will end up running down someone's cheek.

Some people's pupil's open way up. I don't know why, but I see it on stage pretty often. If anything, with all the lights pointing on stage, their pupils should be closing down, but some folks' get huge.

People ask me all the time how I know who to keep on stage and who to send back to their seats. I look for the physical signs.
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/05/18 16:20:31
    Yes its real
    Prime Time Lime
    I have studied it and it is very real.The consciousness changes when in a hypnotic state.
  • THE jaki 2011/05/17 21:36:56
    Yes its real
    THE jaki
    my mom says my brother was hypnotized once to think he was a chicken and my bro's pretty smart so yea, I BELIEVE!!!!!!!
    mom brother hypnotized chicken bros pretty smart yea hypnosis funny gif
  • diggers... THE jaki 2011/05/17 21:47:57
    diggers story
    It doesn't have to do with who is smart. I fully don't understand it but it works on some people.
  • diggers story 2011/05/17 21:36:04 (edited)
    No its fake
    diggers story
    +1
    Look into the center of the circle...........Count to 10 .........

center circle count 10 hypnotise gif center circle count 10 hypnotise gif center circle count 10 hypnotise gif center circle count 10 hypnotise gif
  • THE jaki diggers... 2011/05/17 21:38:06
    THE jaki
    +1
    yea it's fake.... IGNORE MY COMMENT!!!!!:)
  • diggers... THE jaki 2011/05/17 21:47:11
    diggers story
    hahaha
    I am being sarcastic. For some people it works on... on others it doesn't
  • vocalrain 2011/05/17 21:23:39
    Yes its real
    vocalrain
    +2
    Heck I get hypnotized driving through snow...
  • Alan vocalrain 2011/05/17 21:36:46
    Alan
    But do you believe someone could hypnotise you to do something you otherwise wouldnt? like ex. drive off a cliff?? haha thats my question.
  • vocalrain Alan 2011/05/17 21:48:21
    vocalrain
    Haha..yes. i do. But not like they do on TV that make people like cluck like chickens. I believe you can use hypnotic therapy in certain counseling methods.
  • diggers... Alan 2011/05/17 21:49:27
    diggers story
    I couldn't be unless I willed myself to be which one time I did. But I think getting someone to kill themselves would be a very hard thing to do. People have to be willing to let go... i think.
  • Alan diggers... 2011/05/17 22:05:22
    Alan
    I hear of drug addicts and alcoholics being cured and stuff like that through hypnosis... but I still have my doubts that hypnosis is real... I think if a person wants to quit drugs.. its that person thats choosing to quit... not the ''powers'' of some man waving a clock or something.. .I think its all in the head. I just dont know though..
  • diggers... Alan 2011/05/17 22:10:46 (edited)
    diggers story
    It is all in the head. Our minds are very powerful.
    head minds powerful mind power demotivational
  • vitaminanime 2011/05/17 21:20:40
    Yes its real
    vitaminanime
    +2
    of course its real, but the whole thing about seeing past and future lives is a bit phony
  • Jareth Majere 2011/05/17 21:18:31
    Yes its real
    Jareth Majere
    +2
    Hypnosis is real, what some claim that can be done with it might not be though
  • Alan Jareth ... 2011/05/17 21:29:24
    Alan
    +1
    Ye thats what gets me.. what people claim can be done with it..like acting like a chicken or a zombie ect... I dont buy into those hypnosis shows. I mean why does the ''hypnotist' always ask for volunteers from the audience and not just pick someone at random? I think its all planned.
  • Rams Alan 2011/09/09 18:09:24
    Rams
    We ask for volunteers because compliance is an important part of the process. You can't hypnotize someone against their will (although you can hypnotize them without them being aware of it). Stage hypnotists have to have the trust of the people they are working with.

2014/08/20 14:41:41