Do you believe in a God/Gods?

CAPISCE 2012/08/22 19:35:32
Related Topics: God, fence
YES
On the Fence

• seattleman 2012/08/23 02:38:48
    YES
    seattleman
    +8
    I believe in God. I have faith. I have no religion. I don't care to try to convert anybody, and I want nobody to try to push their beliefs on me. forrest   thats all i have to say

YES
    +4
    If God didn't exist, God would have been the first human invention. Before money humanity believed in God....perhaps even before language...although I go with the Apostle John when he says "in the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God." As I read this passage, it suggests humanity learned about God and language, i.e., "the word", at the same time.

As I tell my atheistic friends....when they are ready to live without money, I will consider living without God.
  • reaper Ken 2012/08/23 06:17:40
    reaper
    +2
    I think it would be better to say gods, because people were originally polytheistic. different cultures everywhere had a god for everything.
  • Ken reaper 2012/08/23 21:29:31
    Not sure there is a difference..

...consider this quote from Genesis "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

This verse is interesting because it uses the plural when God is talking about creation "Let us....in our image..." If God is a single individual, one would have expected God to say, "Let me make man in my image...." One can reasonably conclude that "God" is really a collective, e.g., don't we say that Congress created or passed a law? Referring to it in both the singular and the plural?

The following verse is equally interesting "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." This establishes that some "members" of God are female.....So what do we call the "members of God"? gods and goddesses?

Anyway just a literal interpretations to help those who think they know what the Bible says open their minds to new possibilities.
  • reaper Ken 2012/08/23 21:37:49
    reaper
    but not every creation story is the same. the greeks, norse, mayan, all had different stories.

creation story greeks norse mayan stories
  • Ken reaper 2012/08/23 22:12:04
    +1
    I used the texts to explain why I don't distinguish between "God" and "gods" or "God" and "Goddess". IMO, these are distinctions without a difference...the Creator is beyond my comprehension. I have no quarrel with those who chose to see the Creator as a collective of gods and goddesses ... or those who chose to focus on the feminine aspects of God.

These are all just metaphors which help us better understand our world...some metaphors, however, have been more successful than others...presumably because they provided a better life for their followers than the alternatives. But I am quite sure human understanding of God will continue to evolve and I hope my personal understanding does as well.
  • CAPISCE Ken 2012/08/24 02:19:03
    CAPISCE
    Excellent
  • sonofason Ken 2012/08/24 02:18:13
  • seattleman 2012/08/23 02:38:48
    YES
    seattleman
    +8
  • STEELAN... seattleman 2012/08/23 07:22:54
  • STEELAN... seattleman 2012/08/23 07:22:59
    STEELANGEL 凸 Metal Up 凸
    Amen amen
  • Howard 2012/08/23 02:37:39
    YES
    Howard
    +4
    Jesus Christ, the Alpha and the Omega... The Way, The Truth and The Life.
  • Icon 2012/08/23 01:58:32 (edited)
    YES
    Icon
    +2
    House of EL

blank gif Superman Logo

" For verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you." Matthew 17:20
  • FortunaVeritas 2012/08/23 01:48:31
    On the Fence
    FortunaVeritas
    Used to. Don't really see much reason to anymore.
  • Truth Matters 2012/08/23 01:33:56
    YES
    Truth Matters
    +3
    Yes, I believe in God. God is perfectly rational and consistent with reality.

Atheism is irrational when seriously examined. No Atheist can defend Atheism in reason.
  • reaper Truth M... 2012/08/23 06:15:24
  • reaper reaper 2012/08/23 07:37:02
    reaper
    +1
    you know steel angel, if YOU unblock me I'm sure you could also reply to me.

steel angel unblock reply
  • Truth M... reaper 2012/08/23 13:01:59
    Truth Matters
    Why should he unblock you? It's not like you have any arguments or intellectual honesty. You are a propagandist who spams posters rather than answer questions.
  • reaper Truth M... 2012/08/23 18:31:29
    reaper
    you should say that.
  • Truth M... reaper 2012/08/23 17:16:13
    Truth Matters
    Bad logic - and false caricature. God did not 'appear' or begin. God has never NOT existed. God is PRIME reality - the reality that gives existence to our contingent reality.
  • reaper Truth M... 2012/08/23 18:32:26
    reaper
    logic...

logic
  • STEELAN... Truth M... 2012/08/23 07:26:54 (edited)
    STEELANGEL 凸 Metal Up 凸
    +1
    And here's one for reaper pusshead..
    reaper pusshead
  • Icarus Truth M... 2012/08/23 18:16:53
    Icarus
    +1
    We have debated this on a few occasions. As I recall, you lost ;-) Atheism is the only rational position to take.
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2012/08/23 01:32:06
    YES
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +1
    But not because of organized relgion but despite it.
  • anhalten 2012/08/23 01:25:15
    YES
    anhalten
    I believe that there is one Lord is the creator of the universe and deserves slavery
    And that is the correct religion grace of God bestowed upon us by
    We are blessed with Islam
  • NoHandlebarsAttached 2012/08/23 01:15:09
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    +5
    I recently became an atheist.
    I couldn't be happier with that decision.
  • CAPISCE NoHandl... 2012/08/23 01:16:51
    CAPISCE
    whatever floats our boat, please rave and share
  • NoHandl... CAPISCE 2012/08/23 01:20:02
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    +1
    But I don't have a boat.
  • Ken NoHandl... 2012/08/23 02:57:04
    In that case...you should get one. a boat that is:-)
  • Truth M... NoHandl... 2012/08/23 01:35:33
    Truth Matters
    I bet you haven't thought very deeply about what No God logically implies. If you did, you would realize Atheism is madness.
  • Merry Truth M... 2012/08/23 05:05:44
    Merry
    Enlighten me.
  • Truth M... Merry 2012/08/23 13:22:19 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    No God means no moral reality. Morality is merely a subjective delusion induced by brain chemicals that correspond to no objective moral reality. Under Atheism, you have no objective basis to claim a child rapists moral opinion is any less valid than any other moral opinion. Do you think there is no actual (objective) moral difference between raping a child and caring for children?

No God means you are a chemical animal with no FREE-WILL. Chemicals causally determine your every thought and action - including child rape, mass murder or theft. Why do Atheists assign moral values to chemically determined behavior? Under Atheism, you have no soul (Mind) apart from electro-chemically induced delusions. Electro-chemicals have no agency or choice. We are just electro-chemical machines doing whatever the chemicals cause. Why assign moral values and duties that have no reality to chemically determined events that are not even chosen freely??? Atheism is absurd when taken seriously.

How do you trust chemicals to cause the chemical illusions in your head to be objectively correct? How would you know? Do the chemicals cause that illusion also?

Under Atheism, life has not significance, value or purpose. The significance, value and purpose you experience would be a delusi...

Under Atheism, life has not significance, value or purpose. The significance, value and purpose you experience would be a delusion. In actual fact, we would be nothing more than a temporary fleeting accident in a dying Universe headed towards permanent annihilation. Nothing actually matters under Atheism.

Atheism cannot account for the absolute physical beginning of the Universe proven by science.

Atheism is rationally impotent to provide any viable natural mechanism for the self-organization and assembly of contingent beings whose component parts are radically sophisticated, integrated and designed towards a third-purpose utility.

This is just scratching the surface. Atheism is madness when taken seriously
  • NoHandl... Truth M... 2012/08/23 18:12:18
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    +1
    You've been saying that exact same thing to me since I joined this site. It isn't working. Give me something new.
  • Truth M... NoHandl... 2012/08/23 19:00:43 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    Atheists can't defeat the many arguments I offer - not even once.
    I destroy their objections to the point that they can't challenge me on the merits. Why would I need to change arguments?
  • NoHandl... Truth M... 2012/08/23 20:22:51
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    Because they don't make sense. Are you familiar with the term, "Chewbacca Defense"?
  • Truth M... NoHandl... 2012/08/23 20:28:55
    Truth Matters
    Try me? What doesn't make sense?
  • NoHandl... Truth M... 2012/08/23 20:32:24
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    Everything!
  • Truth M... NoHandl... 2012/08/23 22:51:04 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    +1
    Try identifying one or two things that don't make sense to start with.
  • reaper Truth M... 2012/08/23 18:37:23
    reaper
    +1
    i like how you try to sound so intelligent, yet nothing you say makes any kind of sense.
  • NoHandl... Truth M... 2012/08/23 18:08:26
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    I've been doubting the existence of God for 10 years.
  • Truth M... NoHandl... 2012/08/23 19:05:38
    Truth Matters
    Why? Try to describe it. I promise I won't embarrass you if you are just honest.

2014/12/22 02:09:38