Do you believe drunk driving laws are unfair?

MichaelJ 2011/04/16 16:31:38
Related Topics: Family, Income, Crime
I'm sure I will get some knee jerk reactions from this post but perhaps there will be a few that can understand this concept. Currently driving under the influence laws are completely unfair! How could that be? If you are of slight stature and you meet your parents for dinner, you have two glasses of wine with your dinner. On the way out of the parking lot you are in accident. The police come and they decide to test both drivers involved with the accident. You blow into the test device. You register .0001 %
over the limit and are arrested for drunk driving.

There is another accident by someone else. They are tested for drunk driving and they test at three times the legal limit. Under current law in most states those crimes rate exactly the same punishment. Does this system make any sense or even more important is it fair? In my opinion there should be different levels and punishment allotted for DUI related to the actual crime itself.

Mothers against drunk driving, an organization started by mothers and I suppose others that have lost loved ones to drunk drivers has become a fanatical organization.

Oh! I should mention here that I don't and never have been a drinker. I have never and none of my loved ones ever been arrested for drunk driving.

I have known people who have and at least in one case know that the person convicted was in no way even mildly impaired when arrested for microscopically testing higher than the legal limit. What was the result of his dastardly crime of drinking two beers while at a BBQ at the local park? The loss of his well paying job and eventually the loss of his families home because of the loss of income. Does his crime meet the punishment? Only a true fanatic would think so.

• DAMM 2012/08/09 13:07:51
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    DAMM
    +6
    Off duty cops drink and drive and are almost never arrested when they are stopped. Judges and politicians and their families have almost complete immunity to the DUI laws!
    So why are we the people treated with such unconstitutional contemp for driving with a few beers in us? 35% of all trafffic accidents are caused NOT by drinking, but by distractions such as texting while driving. And there is NO punishment other than the usual traffic violation if a distracted driver causes an acccident.

The DUI laws are nothing more than racketeering and a money-grab that the states have taken to the full limit of thier ruthless lust for stealing money and rights from thier citizens.
    MADD moms untruths, lies, and exagerations of the facts such as the ridiculous "alcohol related" statistic fuel the fire. MADD moms and their quest for total prohibition must be stopped! Please help to fight these horrible, unconstitutional DUI laws. We need to return the power to the millions and millions of people who safely drive after a few drinks!
    And punishment should only be applied to someone who does something WRONG while driving under the influence. Safely driving with alcohol in your blood stream should NOT BE A CRIME!!!!!! Stop the insanity of these horrible and excessive and costly punishments doled out to citizens who have done nothing wrong while driving..

• Gregaj7 2013/08/31 04:16:22
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    +3
    It has never been about "fairness". It has always been about politics and Commerce. The more folk are imprisoned, the more Bonds are issued, the more "money" is made, the more commerce churns.
  • cody Gregaj7 2 days ago
    cody
    The question should be., what are we going to do to change this unjust law - unjust punishment - we allneed to send these comments to the civil rights agency within our government! Talking about will do nothing!!
  • Gregaj7 cody 2 days ago
    I strongly aiming to separate myself from that which you consider "your gov't". I will do this without having to physically leave the land-mass known as the United States of America.
  • cody Gregaj7 2 days ago
    cody
    +1
    Yes.. That is right. So what are the people going to do about it? Cops, judges, lawyers drink and drive. They hand out these unfair punishments to al of us, yet, hypocrites they are, will not have to suffer the outrageous punishments! No right, not just, it is disgusting. Drunk is .10 on up an by the way, speeding kills more... Yet, doesn't ruin your life. Talking on phone and driving is worse than 1-2 drinks. No one can be so judgmental when if you study the statistics of actual bac levels and death to drunk driving, .08 is not even close to speeding deaths or true drunk driving at .10 on up. Wake up people, this is unfair punishment for the crime. Read the 8th amendment and the 4th!
  • Katfish 2013/08/31 03:38:47
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    Katfish
    +3
    Most of the Highway patrol officers are only searching for one thing from 10pm to 4am; that is someone to fail the BAC test.
    Notice that I did not say "erratic, wreckless or dangerous drivers" because they dont care about that.
  • cody Katfish 2 days ago
    cody
    No they don't need to care about true drunks on the road cuz at 1-2 drinks everyone is now a drunk. It is a money making unjust unfair law and people should be MAD and fight for the 8th amendment and our rights!
  • DeeB 2013/08/27 17:59:26
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    DeeB
    +5
    Absolutely. I don't think anyone should be arrested for drunk driving unless they have committed a crime, for one and for 2 how do they think they can take away peoples right to own guns for getting a DUI????
  • MichaelJ DeeB 2013/08/28 05:16:46
    MichaelJ
    +3
    DeeB,I hadn't considered things like that but I'm sure it's true. I don't know what it is about our country but it seems that we always go over board with everything we do. Most things like stopping people from driving drunk start out fairly reasonably but it quickly changes from that to where the law is more damaging to society as a whole that what it is designed to prevent.
  • DeeB MichaelJ 2013/08/28 15:28:09
    DeeB
    +3
    Very well stated MichaelJ and I totally agree with what you say. Where government is concerned, you give them an inch they will STEAL a mile!
  • stevmackey 2013/08/27 10:37:26
    No! They need to be punished as much as possible!
    stevmackey
    +1
    In most states, driving is a privilege, not a right.
  • DeeB stevmackey 2013/08/28 15:32:34
    DeeB
    +4
    They can say whatever the hell they want, but as Americans we all have the right to travel and it is not a privilege. And we are not even supposed to have licenses or any of the crap associated with travel. They are using Maritime law which is for the sea and only Drivers as in truck drivers or taxi drivers are supposed to be licensed, those that make a living from it.
  • stevmackey DeeB 2013/08/29 01:45:07
    stevmackey
    +1
    It does not work that way.
  • DeeB stevmackey 2013/08/29 03:51:50
    DeeB
    +3
    It is how it is supposed to be.
  • cody DeeB 2 days ago
    cody
    +1
    You are right on..,! They our government, are taking away our rights and turning us into the new criminals due to MONEY. This is a fact and nothing anyone out there can deny what is going on in this country. Wake up everyone and speak up for all the put of control laws and punishments; we are living in police states, time to fight for our rights!
  • DeeB cody 2 days ago
    DeeB
    That's right, I have never been able to figure out just what the word free in freedom meant. Free to what exactly?
  • HAlex1972 stevmackey 2014/09/23 11:02:42
    HAlex1972
    +3
    WHY is it a privilege at this stage in our society? When driving rules were first implemented, it was possible to earn a living without driving. In modern times, that is no longer true. The infrastructure of our cities and metro-areas requires that we use vehicles to transport ourselves from one place to another. If you look at zoning laws, areas are designated as residential, commercial, retail, and industrial. These places may be miles apart. Public transportation is extremely lengthy and unreliable. This is about CONTROL!
  • cody HAlex1972 2 days ago
    cody
    +1
    True and the law could care less. They care about power and money and they are hypocrite. Most all law enforcers drink and drive and due not suffer at all! Disgusting...
  • cody stevmackey 2 days ago
    cody
    +1
    You need to consider this: most cops judges, lawyers, drink 1-2 drinks and
  • cody stevmackey 2 days ago
    cody
    +1
    1-2 drinks does not mean your a DRUNK driver. Wake up. It is a money maker for each state... Study statistics. What the heck has everyone been doing for years? Having 1-2 drinks doesn't cause death or even a crash and they are putting people in JAIL, ruining lives.. For what reason???? It is so UNFAIR that it itself should be a crime... What closed minds.
  • deidara.true,art-[SHP]- BTO... 2013/08/27 09:23:12
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    deidara.true,art-[SHP]- BTO-t- B
    +2
    IN SOME CASES

I have bartended for over 30 yrs. Do not drive drunk, and just because you do not feel drunk does not mean you are not. If you plan on going out partying bring a driver, call a cab, set it up with a friend to pick you up, or just plain walk.

Now the blood alcohol average is to low, it needs to be changed.
  • ✿✿✿RoseD1st✿✿✿ 2013/08/27 05:51:54
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    ✿✿✿RoseD1st✿✿✿
    +3
    Yes I agree! Post your petition on twitter that may help!
  • TheTruth1313 2013/08/27 05:51:45
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    TheTruth1313
    +4
    I'm actually not against drunk drivers being held responsible and being punished for doing something that is so stupid and dangerous. However, the current blood alcohol levels that actually define a person as being intoxicated are far too low. A person can easily be sober and still fail those levels. Also, "buzzed" driving IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT the same as drunk driving.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~ 2013/08/27 05:28:35
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +5
    In MI, our former Dem. Gov. Grandholm made the brilliant decision to give the Secretary of State (motor vehicle registrations & tags, vehicle titles & tags,drivers license agency) the power to decide who drives and who doesn't. Have a friend who got a 1st violation, the judge suspended her drivers license for a year. When she went to get it back, she had to schedule a hearing with the SOS, They denied her request and she can't reapply for another year. She lost her job over it....they gave her the year but couldn't do two. So she's stuck on this little hamster wheel and can't get off. It's like double indemnity. I'm all for appropriate sentences, but to give a licensing agency power like that above and beyond someone sentence? That's so wrong. Thank you Jennifer.
  • MichaelJ Peewee ... 2013/08/28 05:17:29
    MichaelJ
    +2
    I don't know what it is about our country but it seems that we always go over board with everything we do. Most things like stopping people from driving drunk start out fairly reasonably but it quickly changes from that to where the law is more damaging to society as a whole that what it is designed to prevent.
  • Peewee ... MichaelJ 2013/08/28 05:32:26
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +2
    Drunk driving is never a good thing...but to allow a self-serving bureaucracy the power to deny a license above and beyond a prescribed sentence is just plain wrong.
  • InterlockDeviceFraud 2013/04/10 06:24:41
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    InterlockDeviceFraud
    +3
    Sign my petition on the white house website to let the President know about the outrageous alcohol interlock device situation.

https://petitions.whitehouse....
  • melanie Interlo... 2013/08/27 00:39:23
    melanie
    +1
    I see that you did not get enough signatures. Try it again on the NMA forum, they are working on a petition too. Maybe the combination of signatures can get some attention.
    http://www.motorists.org/cont...
    You will have to join, but it's free and the area is in forums.
  • melanie 2013/02/09 21:24:32
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    melanie
    +4
    They re too severe and removing discretion from the courts through mandatory minimum sentencing defeats the purpose of having a justice system, it removes the opportunity for justice. These should be treated as traffic violations, if our society is going to criminalize people based on what may happen if...most of us would be in jail for one reason or another.
  • MichaelJ melanie 2013/02/10 06:39:51
    MichaelJ
    +2
    melanie I completely agree. I don't want people who are over a reasonable blood alcohol limit driving but I also want a graduated punishment that does treat people that are .01 over the limit the same as someone who is 150% over the limit.
  • HAlex1972 MichaelJ 2013/02/22 00:47:08
    HAlex1972
    +1
    I think a better solution to this problem is to put a sanction on a person's license requiring them to have an ignition interlock installed on their vehicle. I don't think that punishing someone criminally for an act that has no victim, nor evil intent to prey upon another, is an appropriate action. Our technology has increased to the point that we can prevent these tragedies from happening in the first place.
  • cody HAlex1972 2014/09/03 01:08:43
    cody
    +6
    In 2008, MADD gave Clinton the bill to lower the DUI to .008, if any state didn't sign it they would not get government funding... Really this is blackmail. Unfair is a polite way to say disgusting. Good, non criminal citizens are jailed, stopped from being productive and chained to the ground, broke from 1-2 drinks. People, look at the 4th and 8th amendment and do SOMETHING. Fight against these power money hungry governent officials, MADD bs and get our rights back.
  • cody cody 2014/09/03 01:31:25
    cody
    +6
    Of course they are... .008 1-2 drinks. This is a money maker for all states going bankrupt... Wake up everyone. Good hard working, nOn criminals ever in their life and than a DUI cuz 1 drink..... They put you in jail, financial ruins, no lisence.... Fees, fines, really? Wake up everyone. This is a money machine law and is so far away from drunk drivers it stinks as it should: greedy, selfish, powerful people. Read the 4th and 8th amendment and you will knownit is not we the people breaking the laws.. It's the power who is... Sad sad sad the US is like this. V
  • HAlex1972 melanie 2013/02/22 00:44:26
    HAlex1972
    +1
    OMG! I've finally found someone with common sense! Thank you for your input. It is genuinely appreciated!!
  • cody HAlex1972 2014/09/03 01:11:45
    cody
    +4
    Right! To stop Drunk drivers from driver this is all they need to do. The reason they DON'T is because there's just not enough MONEY for their fat, unfair, hypocritical pockets....
  • DAMM 2012/08/09 13:07:51
    Yes they are too severe in some cases.
    DAMM
    +6

• HAlex1972 DAMM 2013/02/22 00:49:31
    HAlex1972
    +3
    It sounds like you've done you're research, and you are absolutely correct on each and every point that you bring up. Thank you Michael J for this question! Thumbs up to everyone!
  • cody DAMM 2014/09/03 01:14:07 (edited)
    cody
    +4
    You are absolutely correct... How refreshing to hear and read the TRUTH! What are we the people going to do to stop them?
  • Katfish DAMM 2014/09/30 20:37:32
    Katfish
    +1
    Not enough is brought up about the faulty statistics.
    If they find an alcohol container anywhere near the scene of an accident, it is counted as "alcohol related", which is then translated to "alcohol caused" in other statistics and in the minds of the fearful.
  • HAlex1972 Katfish 2014/10/11 07:30:28
    HAlex1972
    +1
    You are absolutely right. I worked with a group that tried to change the laws to something sensible and that actually proved intent and guilt. My part was to check into these statistics. I was disgusted without the outright deceit of the Highway Traffic Safety Association in their publication of their skewed statistics. I wish I could find a way to alert the public to the fraud that has been perpetrated upon them. Don't get me wrong. I do NOT condone driving while you're ability to drive is severely hampered due to the consumption of alcohol, but they have gotten WAY out of hand with this. The per se laws need to be repealed and breath tests should only be used as supporting evidence in proving severe impairment, not the ONLY piece of evidence as the per se laws dictate. There are better ways to deal with this problem, namely the use of ignition interlocks.
  • Katfish HAlex1972 2014/10/12 13:27:22
    Katfish
    Exactly.Summarized in one sentence:
    Evidence of impairment shall be observed in actual vehicle operation.

2014/11/01 06:18:24