Do you agree with Stephen Hawking that Heaven or Afterlife is a "fairy story for people afraid of the dark"

ToothlessFerret 2011/05/16 00:08:11
Yes, I agree with Stephen Hawkings, there is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers
No, I have firm evidence of an Afterlife that can be verified
I have no evidence or proof, but I choose to 'believe' in an Afterlife.
Stephen Hawking, the famous British cosmologist has stated in an interview published today,

"There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark"

Click here for full report

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/15/step...

• Truth Matters 2011/05/16 02:52:05 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    +4
    What a stupid choice of answers.

There is much evidence for God. Ironically, much of it is coming from cosmology. Hawking has no evidence against God's existence - just a silly psychological bias with apriori commitment to Materialism.

Who cares what some committed Materialist speculates concerning things of which he is ignorant?

• Chaya2010 2011/08/15 08:37:18
    Yes, I agree with Stephen Hawkings, there is no heaven or afterlife for broke...
    Chaya2010
    +1
    I know that energy changes from I have no reason to believe in an afterlife of the Abrahamic variety, there's simply no compelling evidence/proof.
  • Sylvia 2011/07/06 03:57:47 (edited)
    Sylvia
    I don't have firm evidence of an afterlife. To be honest, I don't believe in an afterlife. I have many friends who believe in heaven and hell though, and there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Wally-Molon Labe! 2011/06/20 04:58:51
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +1
    Sure I agree! It also describes the reason man created god, the entire bible and religions in general. Who needs all that if you are not afraid???
  • ishima1 2011/05/16 07:43:42
    ishima1
    +1
    computers?
  • Mark 2011/05/16 05:25:38
    Mark
    +3
    Religion was merely created to make the weak feel like they have something to look forward to, because they can't face reality. It also helps absolve them of the responsibility of their own actions, since they can then either seek salvation by some higher being, or they can blame those actions on a higher being.
  • Sylvia Mark 2011/07/06 04:03:36 (edited)
    Sylvia
    Then please explain to me the many many many near death experiences that have happened to Christians in which they have seen or spent A small period of time
    in heaven, and the now converted believers who have also had near death expieriences and spent a small
    period of time in hell. The number is thousands, and
    I don't think that many people would make it up.
  • Mark Sylvia 2011/07/07 18:36:39
    Mark
    The mind has some incredible delusions when your near death. That doesn't make those delusions a reality any more than someone running around saying they're your god.
  • Sylvia Mark 2011/07/07 22:32:57 (edited)
    Sylvia
    You do know that a near death experience is where someone dies for a short period of time but is saved, right? You can't dream or have a delusion when you're dead, and why would people who are non believers in the first place have a delusion about god. It just wouldn't make sense if it wasn't true.
  • Mark Sylvia 2011/07/08 07:42:36
    Mark
    What you remember is based on what your brain registers when it is working, not when it is not working. It's not like you have a watch showing you when you're alive and not to know when you had the delusions. Also, I have never heard of one of these delusions specifically stating that they met god, unless they were just trying to get attention. (In other words, they were lying.)
  • Sylvia Mark 2011/07/08 07:47:01
    Sylvia
    Again, you can't have a delusion if you're dead. It had to really happen cuz that's immpossible
  • Mark Sylvia 2011/07/08 08:03:45
    Mark
    How do they know it really happened? They were dead for a moment. They don't know when they died to know if it was a delusion or not. Since I don't believe in this afterlife, which has no evidence to prove its existence, the thought that they could think once they're dead is impossible.

So, how do we know which of us is correct about whether it's a delusion or not? There is no real way to know. After all, it's the same thing as the followers of Paul (aka most Christians) vs. atheists. We can either go by factual observance (atheists) or belief in the imaginary (Christians). (There are more religions involved, of course, but I am merely stating the most common in the US.)
  • Sylvia Mark 2011/07/08 08:11:48
    Sylvia
    I don't believe in imaginary. I'm thinking something right now that I won't write, but it 2 am. Goodnight
  • Mark Sylvia 2011/07/08 09:34:51
    Mark
    Probably for the best. XD
  • Sylvia Mark 2011/07/08 14:06:37
    Sylvia
    No, it really was 2:00
    And I could barely keep my eyes open
  • Mark Sylvia 2011/07/09 08:19:03
    Mark
    Well, I meant not writing what you were thinking was probably for the best. XD
  • ★misfit★ 2011/05/16 04:05:59
    ★misfit★
    +2
    I respect Stephen Hawking's scientific work very much, but I also believe some things are outside the realm of science. The computer analogy is interesting but flawed. The fact is we aren't computers. Computers do not have free will and cannot think or act on their own volition. We created computers, we did not create ourselves.

Hawking cannot disprove the existence of an afterlife any more than I can prove the existence of one. I have reasons for my beliefs, but they too are outside the realm of science.
  • Blancmange19 2011/05/16 04:01:20
    Blancmange19
    Damn, these stupid choices messed me up. I doubt there's an afterlife, but I have no proof one way or the other.
  • adhikari_2000 2011/05/16 02:53:33
    adhikari_2000
    +2
    Dear Friends, Stephan Hawking may be correct with the kind of instrumentation & intution he got, now I go into the problem for each future computers we want to simulate what is wrong with all present source code considered together in effect from chunk each of the present source code have to halt somewhere, because it will show fetal error whether we develop superior mind or perhaps mechanical mind developed in thinking computers. Now as we are living in isotropic & homogeneous universe our living is irregular truth but not a fetal evantuality that is our speed of future mind vision we want to reconstruct & bias of truth for future we want to enter as Faith so that our afterlife is insignificant too. Thank you all. vision reconstruct bias truth future enter faith afterlife insignificant
    From the wild habitat of past rescue me upto present truth future enter faith afterlife insignificant wild habitat rescue
    Prayer to govern work faith afterlife insignificant wild habitat rescue prayer govern work
    prayer to run future to govern.Amen.
    Truth Matters
    +4
    What a stupid choice of answers.

• Sylvia Truth M... 2011/07/06 22:28:31
    Sylvia
    +1
    I agree
  • bricklyn 2011/05/16 02:42:49
    bricklyn
    +2
    He is one of the smartest men on the planet.
  • Truth M... bricklyn 2011/05/17 03:30:03
    Truth Matters
    +1
    "He is one of the smartest men on the planet."

How do you know? What a load of crap.
  • bricklyn Truth M... 2011/05/21 19:58:23 (edited)
    bricklyn
    +1
    Stephen is the 8th smartest person on the planet.
    8. Stephen Hawking – IQ = 160

Stephen is a British theoretical physicist, whose world-renowned scientific career spans over 40 years. His books and public appearances have made him an academic celebrity and he is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. Hawking’s key scientific works to date have included providing, with Roger Penrose, theorems regarding singularities in the framework of general relativity, and the theoretical prediction that black holes should emit radiation, which is today known as Hawking radiation (or sometimes as Bekenstein-Hawking radiation). Hawking has a neuro-muscular dystrophy that is related to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a condition that has progressed over the years and has left him almost completely paralyzed.

http://palscience.com/science...

Stephen Hawking's IQ is 160, the same as Albert Einstein. This is who I know how smart he really is.

Classification IQ Limits Percent Included

Very Superior 128 and over 2.2
    Superior 120-127 6.7
    Bright Normal 111-119 16.1
    Average 91-110 50.0
    Dull Normal 80-90 16.1
    Borderline 66-79 6.7
    Defective 65 and below 2.2

8. Stephen Hawking – IQ = 160

http://palscience.com/science...

Very Superior 128 and over 2.2
    Superior 120-127 6.7
    Bright Normal 111-119 16.1
    Average 91-110 50.0
    Dull Normal 80-90 16.1
    Borderline 66-79 6.7
    Defective 65 and below 2.2

1 borderline 66-79 6 7 defective 65 2 2
  • Truth M... bricklyn 2011/05/22 02:36:07 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    +1
    8. Stephen Hawking – IQ = 160

Really? You've measured all IQ's on the planet? ... and Hawking is #8?
    What a load.
    Further, 'IQ' itself is a load of crap. People have different types of intelligence.
    I scored a 128 fifteen years ago and have all the academic honors... I can think logically, analyze problems and debate with the best. Yet, I'm so damned scatterbrained I need my wife to get me organized so I can leave the house. I can't trust myself to remember anything important, while I remember trivia. I amaze myself how dumb I can be sometimes. My head is always in the clouds. I lose my car keys about every other day. My father, the Nuclear Physicist, couldn't function without my mother. He's run over the same mailbox in his driveway at least three times. Had the cops called on him because he was walking in a Los Angeles hotel lobby in a decontamination suit. He 'forgot to change' before he left the lab. My mother had to go claim him.

I'm familiar with Hawking's books. Yes. he's a thoughtful theoretician, but he's also been very wrong on key speculations. He has no more expertise on things causally prior to Planck time or the singularity boundary than my grandmother. His latest speculation of the...

8. Stephen Hawking – IQ = 160

What a load.

I'm familiar with Hawking's books. Yes. he's a thoughtful theoretician, but he's also been very wrong on key speculations. He has no more expertise on things causally prior to Planck time or the singularity boundary than my grandmother. His latest speculation of the physical LAW of gravity being causally prime is laughably stupid. Laws are casually impotent, they cannot cause anything, they merely control what is in existence. Further, physical Law cannot preceed it's own existence to cause it's own existence.

Hawking simply has a psychological bias against God, while all the evidences point to an immaterial, timeless, spaceless agency causally antecedent to the singularity boundary.
  • bricklyn Truth M... 2011/05/25 02:54:35
    bricklyn
    I gave you research data from reliable sources. Now you are disputing that. You are a complete ignoramus and have not got the two brain cell that were created for you at conception. Anyone can say what ever they like on the internet. So for what it is worth, your opinion and what your say is your IQ means diddly squat. Since you think yours is important, it does not change with age either. Your must be down around your shoe size by now.

Obvious dementia runs in your family, So go back to your mother, she is probably still looking after you too.
  • Truth M... bricklyn 2011/05/25 02:57:27 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    +1
    You have no arguments, just distractions. You ignore and run from my arguments while I refute all your protests and distractions.

Atheism is stupid. You're no exception
  • bricklyn Truth M... 2011/06/03 04:42:45
    bricklyn
    You have not presented a single argument. In fact you have been the one who has run from argument as you said he was wrong and yet have not produced any proof of that.

I said he was one of the smartest men on the planet and gave you the stats to prove it. You just simply refuse to accept that as well.

So I will not continue to bother you with the TRUTH or the FACTS any longer as you obviously do not have the intelligence to deal with any of it.

The facts are that Athests are smarter than christians. You have not only proven that to be completely true, you have taken it to a new found depth that has never previously ever been explored.

Atheist come to their opinion through research and study of history, archeology, religion and science. Atheism is a conclusion based on the information based on that knowledge. So as far as being stupid is concerned, christians would have to be considered stupid as most of then never do any amount of study of their belief system or origins of their religion. You are no exception.
  • Truth M... bricklyn 2011/06/03 04:45:53
    Truth Matters
    +1
    You're dumb as a rock.
  • bricklyn Truth M... 2011/06/03 04:49:34
    bricklyn
    Actually I am not, I have 3 university degrees. But I am communicating to a plant and that is giving you a hell of a lot of credit.
  • Truth M... bricklyn 2011/06/03 05:11:56
    Truth Matters
    +1
    Three University degrees - just like me. Unfortunately, intelligence isn't your problem. No amount of intelligence will make Atheism square with the evidences. That's why you flounder miserably.

Pretenses of intelligence is just your way of dressing up a dead carcass.

Your Atheism is indefensible in reason. You have no evidence, no arguments and no serious counterarguments to my multiple arguments and evidences. That's why you are forced to blabber on about how smart somebody somewhere claims Atheists to be. Silly.
  • bricklyn Truth M... 2011/06/20 04:35:55
    bricklyn
    +1
    Well, as far as evidence is concerned, creationists have no evidence at all, none, nada, zip ,zilch zero. That goes for your god to. What does it feel like to be like a child believing in Santa Claus?

As for floundering, I have no idea what you mean. It is christians who need constant reassuring by their god that they are human and special, that they will be rewarded in the after life as this life is not good enough for them, they need to be constantly watched over as they cannot behave properly on their own and are open to constant sin and evil as well. Just living a great life on this planet is not wonderful enough for your. You have to be bribed and if that is not desperation and floundering nothing is.

Atheism is not indefensible, all you need is an education and an open mind. Unfortunately believers are not rational, logical or open to anything that might possible shake their tiny world of narrow beliefs. How could your possible function without a god? My guess is you could not. You would roll up in a ball and spend the rest of your days in the fetal position unable to cope with reality or life in general. Most of you barely function as it is without your daily crutch to make life bearable. Without the active imagination of a child, the uneducated superstitious ancient man would never have invented religion and /or gods in the first place.

Go back to your fantasy!
  • Szr88 bricklyn 2012/04/09 08:19:21
    Szr88
    +1
    So lets pretend we're smart for a seond... Yes I believe in the Big Bang. But what wound it up into that lovely singularity? Where did that come from? Then theres the whole something coming from nothing. That breaks the very laws of science it'self.

There are two kinds of matter cognitive and incognitive. If we think we must come from something that thinks.

Matter cannot be created nor destroyed, so clearly matter itself is eternal without beginning or end. It's form and degree of purity may change but it's very existance is eternal. To us it may appear to dissolve but we may find it has transcened into a finer state.

I believe the human soul, or energy dose the same with some degree of intelligence hence our very exhistance. I don't belive in a God that is unknowable, or everwhere at one time, but I believe His influence can be evereywhere.

I can sypmothize entierely with your feelings towards 98% of believers as most of them are ignorant, and unrefined and resort to the unexplanable God idea. Heck they give most of us a bad names as it is. And I find it irritating.

I believe God is a man who can use 100% of his brain who understands all the laws of the universe/multiverse. He has a glorified body made up of a finer state of matter. He is not alone, there is a heavenly famil...

I believe God is a man who can use 100% of his brain who understands all the laws of the universe/multiverse. He has a glorified body made up of a finer state of matter. He is not alone, there is a heavenly family, and we're apart of it. We are His children and he wants us to return. A baby duck grows to be a duck, we are children of God, Rom 8-16-17.

Organizing the earth not creating it, organizing, heck thats where the word create comes from anyway. He organized it from exhisting material. There was no "Creatio Ex Nilho".

Then we being left fully to act and choose for ourselves after God has laid out the pattern and plan, leaving us to act was the only way He could.. I stress the ONLY way He could do it to remain perfectly just. Could He step in and solve our problems sure... but what would we really take away from it? How much more could we attain by solving the issues on our own? He desires us to feel accomplished! We act, make mistakes and slip up. If God is Perfect, he has perfect laws, if we break them we must come up with somthing perfect to atone for the mishap. We cannot so He sent His Son to do that for us. We just strive to emulate His example because we recognize it's the best way. .. Now are majority perfect at it nope, will we ever be, haha now thats the test.

Anyway this post is long, and it's late. These are just my personal thoughts, and no I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just stating a little of what I understand.
  • Sylvia bricklyn 2011/07/06 04:24:52
    Sylvia
    If Christians are lazy, then how would you explain the monks and nuns, who dedicate their whole lives to honoring god and studying the bible. I would
    Say those people are anything but lazy!
  • bricklyn Sylvia 2011/07/08 05:11:20
    bricklyn
    I never said a word about lazy. That being said, most christian have never read the entire bible and even less even know what it mean with out someone to read it to them. Most do not know the errors in it or the pagan sourced it comes from. The laziness you spoke about, is the refusal to investigate their own beliefs for fear of finding out what it really is about. They could not handle the truth.

Even Mother Teresa admitted to a lack of belief. She even went through the barbaric custom of exorcism.
  • Sylvia bricklyn 2011/07/08 05:23:17
    Sylvia
    No Christian will ever understand the full bible, but I go to church every sunday, and I think I'd understand it more than you
  • Mark Sylvia 2011/07/08 07:45:25
    Mark
    I am an atheist. Do you really want to pit your knowledge of the Bible against mine? Plus, which Bible do you support (since they vary in text, especially the Catholic Bible)?
  • Sylvia Mark 2014/01/02 00:26:31
    Sylvia
    I have actually since become a Buddhist, but I am of the sect that doesn't believe in any deities. So yes, I agree with you that I do not believe there is an afterlife.
  • Mark Sylvia 2014/01/08 03:38:40
    Mark
    Well, that's good that you are no longer Christian. It's a rather infectious disease, after all.
  • Sylvia Mark 2014/02/22 06:19:15
    Sylvia
    I definitely feel a weight off my shoulders, although I still try to respect the belief, as I have many friends and love ones who are believers, and I think it would be silly to let religion come between strong friendships.
  • bricklyn Truth M... 2011/06/03 04:42:53
    bricklyn
    +3
    Studies comparing religious belief and I.Q
    In 2008, intelligence researcher Helmuth Nyborg examined whether IQ relates to denomination and income, using representative data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth, which includes intelligence tests on a representative selection of white American youth, where they have also replied to questions about religious belief. His results, published in the scientific journal Intelligence demonstrated that on average, Atheists scored 1.95 IQ points higher than Agnostics, 3.82 points higher than Liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than Dogmatic persuasions. [4] "I'm not saying that believing in God makes you dumber. My hypothesis is that people with a low intelligence are more easily drawn toward religions, which give answers that are certain, while people with a high intelligence are more skeptical," says the professor

Nyborg also co-authored a study with Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at the University of Ulster, which compared religious belief and average national IQs in 137 countries. [6] The study analysed the issue from several viewpoints. Firstly, using data from a U.S. study of 6,825 adolescents, the authors found that atheists scored 6 g-IQ points higher than those adhering to a religion.
    Secondly, th...

Secondly, the authors investigated the link between religiosity and intelligence on a country level. Among the sample of 137 countries, only 23 (17%) had more than 20% of atheists, which constituted “virtually all... higher IQ countries.” The authors reported a correlation of 0.60 between atheism rates and level of intelligence, which is “highly statistically significant.” This portion of the study uses the same data set as Lynn's work IQ and the Wealth of Nations.
    Commenting on the study in The Daily Telegraph, Lynn said "Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population.

2014/09/21 02:12:53