Do you agree with hunting animals for sport?

Wayne TH G 333 2012/05/03 20:40:49
Related Topics: Animals, Hunting, animal
Yes I am in favour of hunting animals for purely sporting purposes.
No I am against hunting animals for purely sporting purposes.

• Mr Wayne 2012/05/03 20:48:41
    Mr Wayne
    +9
    Kill it to eat, or to defend your life; otherwise, don't kill it.

• Cricket 2012/05/04 02:25:38
    Cricket
    +4
    Against it for sport!
  • rand 2012/05/04 02:13:24
    rand
    +5
    ...as long as the hunter makes productive use of the prey. Maybe I've not interpreted "purely" correctly, but man is part of the food chain and a predator for many herbivores and is needed to keep their populations in check.
  • mary E rand 2012/05/07 20:37:08
    mary E
    +1
    Killing for "sport" is NOT what is meant by removal killing to keep populations in check. It is killing for the fun of killing. Period!
  • rand mary E 2012/05/07 22:09:50
    rand
    +2
    Not to be redundant but "Maybe I've not interpreted "purely" correctly", It's a matter of semantics, but many of those who hunt and ultimately eat their game are called "sportsmen".
  • mary E rand 2012/05/08 14:27:06
    mary E
    Not a matter of semantics, but a matter of motive! If a hunter's motive is to acquire meat for his table, and he uses humane hunting tatics, I applaud that; It is better than our slaughterhouse method. However, blood-lust is not admirable and suggests that person has a big problem.
  • rand mary E 2012/05/08 14:43:13
    rand
    +1
    It's semantics, given that we define "sport" differently. When you've written your dictionary, let me know. On the issue of why people should hunt, we agree.
  • mary E rand 2012/05/08 21:38:10
    mary E
    +1
    I stand corrected (after consulting the dictionary). It is semantics. The word "sport" and its derivatives have meanings that seem very dissimilar. Especially if you consider the sentences used to demonstrate the meaning in today's language.

Guess my dictionary won't be rolling off the press anytime soon!
  • rand mary E 2012/05/09 04:28:31
    rand
    +1
    Funny, I was going to write to say that by the preferred definition, you are correct. "To kill or catch game for food OR sport" implies that it is one or the other. Maybe dictionaries don't use "AND/OR". By that thinking, I wonder if any professional game can be considered a "sport" since there is a secondary motive? At any rate, I was prepared to tell you that the taste of crow is bitter...even if I didn't pursue it for sport. THX for sparing me that.
  • mary E rand 2012/05/10 03:06:56
    mary E
    +1
    Well, I have eaten lots of crow and agree with you about the taste!!

I haven't noticed if dictionaries use "and/or." They should do that to further clarify definitions. Perhaps I DO need to publish a dictionary!

After plowing through all the definitions for the word "sport" and its related word and accompaning sentences to show word usage, I was sorry I had ever heard the word. I was more confused that before I started. I decided that AS LONG AS THE PLAYING FIELD WAS LEVEL I didn't care what people sported about.
  • rand mary E 2012/05/10 03:24:14
    rand
    +1
    I too decided to look up the definition of sport and found hunting listed as one without qualification...which supports my original thinking. (I found basketball defined as a game with no mention of sport) So what the hell, we agree on what matters, that those who hunt should make productive use of what they capture or kill. Best wishes to you.
  • lonewolf 2012/05/04 02:10:48
    lonewolf
    +4
    only hunt what ou are gonna eat!
  • Jaynane 2012/05/04 01:59:29
    Jaynane
    +3

It is only sport when the animals have guns also.
  • barby k... Jaynane 2012/05/04 06:54:23
    barby karring
    +3
    Agree' hehehehehe... ;-)) lol"
  • Jannis 2012/05/04 01:30:56
    Jannis
    +5
    I have no problem with hunting any game for food and to place your trophy on a wall,but to kill an animal for just the thrill is disturbing.
  • Catie 2012/05/04 00:56:02
    Catie
    +4
    I don't understand how anyone can consider taking another creature's life for no reason "fun." However, as long as you plan on using the animal for meat and other things, it's more humane than the way animals are killed in slaughter houses, so I see nothing wrong with it
  • Arel 2012/05/04 00:28:16
    Arel
    +4
    Nothing should go to waste.......
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/05/03 23:47:29
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +4
    I actually think it's pretty barbaric and disgusting. If you are going to eat the animal I can live with it.
  • Ian 2012/05/03 23:40:14
    Ian
    +5
    Whats the gain in killing a animal as a "sport"?
  • Chanch 2012/05/03 23:36:18
    Chanch
    +4
    Only if you eat them
  • <3XXmiy... Chanch 2012/05/04 05:01:42
    <3XXmiyuXX<3
    +4
    'Hunting animals PURELY FOR SPORT' is the opinion choice. Can't you read?
  • Chanch <3XXmiy... 2012/05/04 10:37:41 (edited)
    Chanch
    +1
    Can you read ? Any hunter worth his salt will NOT let the meat waste. They do eat the meat ! I have hunted all my life and will continue to do so ! Thats what they are for. FOOD ! The original question did NOT say purely for food. They gave poor choices for answers. So you can rant all you want. I will shoot them, stab them, beat those suckers in the head if I want as long as it is legal and in some case even if its not legal in your opinion. So, get over yourself. Go rant about something you know about ! Grow up before you get into an adult conversation
  • mary E Chanch 2012/05/08 21:56:43
    mary E
    I agree that "any hunter worth his salt will not let the meat waste."

The hunter who hunts for sport is either a trophy hunter or one that is satisfying his blood-lust to take a life. He isn't really interested in the meat. You are right that such a hunter is not worth his salt, and, in my personal opinion, he could be a very disturbed personality.

I suppose though, that what he is doing is, well, legal.
  • Chanch mary E 2012/05/08 22:06:25
    Chanch
    +1
    BS You obviously haven'y got a clue. You must be a tree hugging liberal.LOL I have hunted ALL my life. I have NEVER met or known of a sports hunter that didn't eat the meat or give it to someone who did. NEVER ! You are just against hunting. Thats fine. You have your opinion. I just very strongly disagree with you and your opinion. If you knew what hunting benefits the animal population you may understand but you don't know. So we will agree to disagree
  • mary E Chanch 2012/05/08 23:40:54
    mary E
    No, no, I am not a liberal! And I certainly have NO objection to hunting. That is a much better method (and healthier meat) to put meat on the table. Our modern day practice of using slaughter houses is distressing.

I object to the hunters who shoot into herds of large game from helicopters and go down to take the head only for a trophy. Or the kind of person you mentioned above--loves to kill, but gives away the meat. The silly people who will drive their cars into the ditch to run over a turtle, snake or little creature. The big-game hunters who rape Africa of its big game, leaving rotting carcasses behind them. Those that put out bait so they don't have to even work hard at finding targets. Blood-lust and pride and a disregard of life--that is what I detest. And that is actually what is under discussion on this link. . .

I thank God for our many hunters. If we ever found it neccessary to have a peoples' revolution we will need them.
  • Chanch mary E 2012/05/08 23:58:19
    Chanch
    The people you mention are NOT sport hunters ! They are less than 1% and They don't want me to catch them doing that. I willdefinitely stop them however I have to. They are not a true sportsman. And the hunters that do the African hunt nthe way you mentioned is illegal all over Africa and is considered in the same class as poachers and will be prosecuted if caught. Also, a true hunter will respect the animals they hunt and they derive the pleasure from the hunt as much or more than the kill. But there are all kinds of hunters. But the question at hand does not specify these types of hunters. Again, a true sport hunter does not do the terrible things you stated
  • holly go lightly 2012/05/03 23:26:12
    holly go lightly
    +4
    Never ran into a hunter that didn't eat what he killed.Or give the the kill to the local tribes.
  • Gangstersteve1993 2012/05/03 23:11:43
    Gangstersteve1993
    +4
    Only if I was hungry or not unless if it was agressive
  • Panloker 2012/05/03 23:07:01
    Panloker
    +3
    Not for sport, but I see nothing wrong with someone flaunting a trophy. Who wouldn't want a 18 pointer mounted on their wall?
  • abycinn... Panloker 2012/05/03 23:48:18 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +4
    ummm, me. Although if you are going to use or give to someone who will use the rest of the animal, I'm not going to condemn you for it. I just really don't want a dead animal on my wall. I'd rather have a photo of the live one.

Nor would I be particularly excited about having to climb a ladder to dust the damn thing every week. Which would be needed because it would have to be mounted in a high location, and it's going to be a major dustcatcher. And spider attractant.
  • Panloker abycinn... 2012/05/04 16:49:29
    Panloker
    +4
    Well personally I wouldn't allow one to be hung in my home, I think they look tacky and distasteful in a home, but maybe in a man cave or a hunting lodge is fine. I say all the power to anyone who wants to hang one in there own home though..as long as the deer/moose/whatever was not soley shot for its rack or size.
  • abycinn... Panloker 2012/05/04 17:05:44 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +4
    precisely.
  • mary E Panloker 2012/05/08 22:14:08
    mary E
    +1
    I cannot even imagine wanting that trophy on my wall! However, if an animal is killed for its meat and not just for the thrill of taking its life, I see nothing wrong with placing its head on a wall.

But, I do wonder one would even want the head displayed. Is it for approbation? Is it something to be proud about? Does it show one's skill--that is--man with big gun outwitting deer with no gun?

I am sincere in wanting to know why one would display trophies? Trophies of any sort, really.
  • Panloker mary E 2012/05/10 13:18:31
    Panloker
    I cannot give you a definite answer of why someone would like to hang a trophy, but I can give you my own "theory" or understanding as to why. Where I come hunting is a way of life for most, I was raised in a family of hunters, I hunt myself. I will start off by saying that I do not know one single person who who hunts for sport, I only know of people who hunt to feed their families or conservation reasons such as controlling, maintaining wildlife populations. From what I have observed, hunting itself can become very competitive. One hunter may be driven to outdo the other hunter on a hunt. This does not take away the from the purpose of the hunt, it just changes the game and how it is played. Someone takes out a 800 pound moose, than the next hunter is going to want to aim for a 900 pound one. Someone catches a 7 pound trout, that person's buddy will dream of catching a 8 pound one, it is simply competition and that is a part of human nature for many, maybe it's passed down to us from our more primitive ancestors, where a mate was chosen by how well he could provide(mostly hunting in those times) I am only speculating here however. Personally I could care less about what someone hunts, I am only concerned about the motivation of the hunt, if someone has that competitive nature and feels the need to hang a deer head on the wall, that is fine by me, just as long as that deer was eaten and it is not my own living room wall it gets hung on.
  • mary E Panloker 2012/05/12 03:40:53
    mary E
    +2
    You know, you make very, very good sense! And, you know what, I am gradually feeling better about this whole issue through reading posts and talking with posters. At first, I was ready to choke anyone who disagreed with me, but I am seeing that almost everyone here certainly doesn't approve of animals being treated cruelly! That is most probably true of the greater world also. And behavior I deem to be bad might not be engaged in for bad motives all the time.

Perhaps I have just watched too many movies, read too many books and focused on the media (which always reports bad news predominately). I still have very strong feelings (and I know you do too) concerning animal cruelty, but I no longer feel I have to take on the world.

Thank you for taking the time to share! I am feeling better.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/03 22:58:43
    NarcolepticGoat
    +3
    Make use of what you kill if you like to hunt. If you don't want the meat and pelt others might.
  • mary E Narcole... 2012/05/08 22:17:41
    mary E
    +1
    What else would a rational person want if not the meat and/or hide?
  • Narcole... mary E 2012/05/08 22:27:03
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Those who hunt just for sport? A trophy and nothing else. Wasting the meat and hide.

Antlers, horns etc as decorations.
  • mary E Narcole... 2012/05/08 23:43:46
    mary E
    +1
    But I couldn't really call that group of hunters "rational."
  • Narcole... mary E 2012/05/08 23:51:22
    NarcolepticGoat
    Me neither! I suppose we just need to define "Sport hunting" better. Heh.
    Trophy hunting is bad, normal hunting when you eat the meat etc. is fine as long as people give *me* a bit of the meat ;)
  • bluelady 2012/05/03 22:52:01
    bluelady
    +2
    food or self/home defense only

2014/07/28 20:37:40