Do Women Prefer Manly Men?

Related Topics: Metrosexual, Health, Playboy
Chloe Sevigny is looking for a man. A REAL man.

The Oscar-nominated "Big Love" actress tells Playboy, "I want a guy who is masculine, good with his hands and able to build stuff and who has survival skills. Facial hair is a big turn-on."

And all this time guys thought women preferred a clean-shaven chap.

Sevigny goes on to describe her taste in men. Put it this way: Metrosexuals need not apply.

"I like a stronger, more physically imposing man -- like a lumberjack. I’m also into a little hair pulling. I like boys to be aggressive and allow me to be a little aggressive back," she says.

Sevigny's comments are kind of sexy, but they're not entirely surprising. In a recent study, Lisa DeBruine of the University of Aberdeen found that women in countries with poor health statistics preferred men with masculine features more than those who lived in healthier societies. Why? Masculine features tend to represent virility and a strong immune system, which women unconsciously hope to pass on to their babies, especially in an unhealthy environment.

Last year, the United States ranked 37th in the world for health care. France -- known for "effeminate" guys -- was No. 1.

Read More: http://www.playboy.com/articles/chloe-sevigny-play...

• magnollia 2013/11/13 06:11:28
    magnollia
    That's a tough question because every woman is different and her opinions.
  • Ryann 2012/06/30 04:40:29
    Ryann
    What makes a man "manly"? The way he dresses, the length of his hair, how he acts, what he likes? As long as you like him, who cares how "manly" he is.
  • ninihaha 2011/11/04 23:03:49
    ninihaha
    men are better like the ones from manga
  • PonToki 2011/05/16 19:32:38
    PonToki
    I don't think I have a preference. As long as the man can care for me and treat me right, that's all that matters. He doesn't need to be "manly" to do that. Just a good guy.
  • KoAm 2011/05/01 15:08:24
    KoAm
    She's got it right.

By the way, those "health care rankings" of the countries are usually total crap. They're designed to put a lot of weight on whether the country has a nationalized health system or not. Whether a country's health system is any good or not doesn't matter -- just the fact that it has a nationalized system (even if it sucks) is good enough to score points.

And this category is weighted heavily for the specific purpose of seeing to it that the USA doesn't rank highly on the list. It's worse than misleading -- it's deceptive and dishonest.
  • atomikmom 2011/05/01 03:56:40
    atomikmom
    I like the rough lookin' sexy type
  • big mike 2011/05/01 02:53:17
    big mike
    Well i want him to be manly but also not to high on him slef..... Make scence
  • Paint it Black 2011/05/01 00:12:06
    Paint it Black
    I pick undecided
  • doctorwhofan 2011/04/30 17:22:47
    doctorwhofan
    Depends on the person
  • Brightsprite62 2011/04/30 14:27:12
    Brightsprite62
  • KellySchwert 2011/04/30 10:13:56
    KellySchwert
    A lot of the women I know prefer manly men, even the ones married to a less manly man still like to look at the manly men. My mom for instance married an accountant, but I know she would comment on the "hunks" she would see. :)
    I myself prefer manly men, I was married to a national guard/ gravedigger (we were caretakers for a local cemetery in KY at one time). My 2nd husband was a truckdriver (although he wasn't all that manly, just had a manly occupation) lol
    I've dated mechanics, tow truck drivers, and currently a machinist, but never an accountant type man.
  • BackInAction 2011/03/23 22:56:39
    BackInAction
    Not me, I like senstive and daring guys...like Logan Henderson<3 for example lol
  • laura 2011/02/03 15:01:12
    laura
    I know I prefer MY manly man. I fell in love with him for his MANLINESS, his NOBLE CHARACTER, his tenacious FAITH in GOD, and his rugged masculinity. He's hairy, burly, and incredibly handsome to me. He's not like those naked mole rats that pose for Hollywood men. Nope, give me my manly, masculine, Godly man,
  • Katherine 2011/01/31 06:13:19 (edited)
    Katherine
    Depends upon what your idea of manly is.

Lumberjack is masculine, but I wouldn't say it's "manly" - like if you're NOT the lumberjack type you're not manly. That's silly. Metrosexual is definitely not my idea. Aggressive isn't manly either; assertive is.

Some people are under the impression it's He-Man muscular guy with thick hair everywhere, thinks Shakespeare is an early 70's dance, intimidates other men, and won't eat anything he didn't kill violently with his hands, is manly.

My idea is someone who takes good care of his wife and children, values relationships, someone who is confident in himself, takes initiative, has testicles, and can touch me the way I like to be touched-- etc.

Look to the men of the past. Those were men! IMO. All sorts. It's impossible for me to describe. I can say capable of sharing feelings (most think that's what sissies do or envision the Bedazzled film character crying about a sunset-not what I mean) and would give all the wrong impressions or garner a laugh.

I think this woman wants someone who is "rugged."
  • annadaniarndt 2011/01/15 09:02:28
    annadaniarndt
    I don't. I couldn't care less how masculine my guy is. But I'm kind of a weirdo.
  • GuilhermeCosta 2010/12/31 06:02:53
    GuilhermeCosta
    Most women prefer Andy Sixx than Gerard Butler... (example)
  • Shadow White 2010/12/29 12:02:47
    Shadow White
    I'm sorry but if I wanted to date some one that gets pedicures, I'd date a woman. I don't care if he get's his hair cut at a hairdressers, if he wears suits that cost more than my entire wardrobe, even if he uses moisturiser now and then. But the moment he tell's me the shade of my pumps 'clashes' with the shade of my dress, it's over.
  • MattIsTheGeekInPink 2010/12/28 22:27:12
    MattIsTheGeekInPink
    Every woman has different tastes.
    Yes, they don't want some hoity toity gay guy, who speaks with a lisp and is into fashion, and all that.
  • Huki68 2010/12/24 18:05:29
    Huki68
    Not all woman only rare woman like those type of taste... woman rare woman type taste hary chest men
    May be she will love this one...

Grosssssssss....
  • Huki68 Huki68 2010/12/24 18:09:01
    Huki68
    +1
     handsome men bodies

Many women preffer this type of men....
  • ALL_BAN... Huki68 2011/02/28 21:08:33
    ALL_BAND_FAN
    +1
    is that who i think it is?! taylor lautner? if it's not, he sure looks like him.
  • Huki68 ALL_BAN... 2011/03/01 13:32:34
    Huki68
    don't know
    I just pick a random pic
  • ALL_BAN... Huki68 2011/03/02 23:08:15
    ALL_BAND_FAN
    +1
    he's cute! but kind of man whorish
  • Huki68 ALL_BAN... 2011/03/03 00:51:16
    Huki68
    ewwww
  • ALL_BAN... Huki68 2011/03/19 00:32:41
  • ALL_BAN... Huki68 2011/02/28 21:07:47
    ALL_BAND_FAN
    +1
    ew. he has a really nice body just way too hairy!!!
  • Huki68 ALL_BAN... 2011/03/01 13:33:18
    Huki68
    yep ewwwwwww
  • Ms Missy 2010/12/24 17:25:04
    Ms Missy
    +1
    Ill take one of each: Ive already got the good looking Rocker/Artist/Geek, and our best friend is the Gear-head/ Tough- guy...so i get the best of both...my geek hubby and my "manly" friend.
  • Becci 2010/12/24 08:45:05
    Becci
    I am pretty much entirely half and half. I like intelligence. I don't want someone who I believe is stupid to be with me my entire life. I like a wise and intelligent man. If he is thirty years older than me, so be it. Yeah a super hot muscular body would be cool, but I like the lanky guys as well. Not really picky on physical appearance much, the only thing I am super uptight on when choosing my man is that he has to be intelligent, wise, and have common sense. He also has to be kind. If he is an ass to everyone, me being a compassionate person wouldn't want to hang around him or anyone who is like that.

I don't like men who are emotionless robots too. I tell my man he always...ALWAYS has my shoulder to cry on. That I won't think any less of my baby because he did so. Why? Because he is human and was born with that emotion.

In return I try and make my man the happiest man there could ever be, because if he is what I listed above, he's already made me happy enough to know I am with someone smart and compassionate. Hopefully wise as well.
  • possiblymaybe 2010/12/24 04:34:28
    possiblymaybe
    This poll is so loaded to push healthcare. Have a nice day.
  • Pakki 2010/12/24 04:05:29
    Pakki
    I believe they do.
    Don't ask Don't tell
  • carolynb 2010/12/23 20:11:22
    carolynb
    If I was looking, which I'm not, I like a strong masculine man that likes to do remodeling and fish, and is easy going--oh, and he must love my kids and grandkids because they are around alot.
  • MortelPetales 2010/12/23 17:37:28 (edited)
    MortelPetales
    I like all kinds of guys but I don't like overly sensitive guys, too effeminate guys I don't like, I don't mind being friends with one but dating that's another thing. Yet at the same time I don't like them overly macho and feel the need to display that at every opportunity they see. And if they think like a man from the 50's forget it. Something in the middle. But if I find other qualities in a guy I like I could go for them regardless of what my other preferences are.
  • baller 2010/12/23 15:10:37
    baller
    Not sure..I mean, when I am at the bar you can see both..manly and what apppears to be not so manly..I guess manlyness is not just on the surface..
  • Torchy 2010/12/23 14:34:36 (edited)
    Torchy
    +1
    I dislike gender stereotypes...

My boyfriend really can't grow facial/chest hair, he doesn't wear flannel and between the two of us, I'm better with the car and he's better in the kitchen. He craves boxed chocolates like an old woman.

However, I know he's more 'virile' and manly than most women can handle. ;-) You can all keep your lumberjacks, I love my sexy geek!
  • MortelP... Torchy 2010/12/23 17:38:21 (edited)
    MortelPetales
    +1
    But yet you stereotype him as an old woman liking chocolate...lol
  • Torchy MortelP... 2010/12/23 17:45:28 (edited)
    Torchy
    Hey! Those are his words...

Yeah, I've no justification ;-)
  • MortelP... Torchy 2010/12/23 17:48:07
    MortelPetales
    Yeah whatevah.. lol.

2014/07/28 17:31:23