Do Women Look Better With or Without Makeup?

Stop the presses! Not only does makeup make women look more attractive (duh!), it also makes them appear more competent, likable and trustworthy compared to when they're not wearing any makeup at all, according to a new study.

In the study from Harvard University, Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Psychiatry and Procter and Gamble, researchers asked participants to judge 100 photos of 25 women’s faces, in which they appeared in makeup classified as "natural," "professional" and "glamorous" (meaning subtle, darker and darkest), YouBeauty.com reports.

Women with the "glamorous" look were rated just as likable as the same women with the "professional" look, but were rated significantly more attractive and competent (though less trustworthy).

Perhaps that's why the Kardashian sisters' father got them makeup lessons at a young age.

"My dad -- when we were 14 -- got us makeup lessons for Christmas and had us videotape them and had a real-life person do our makeup and teach us how to wear makeup," Kim Kardashian told Jane Radio and xoJane.com. "He said, 'My daughters are going to start to wear makeup, and I want you guys to look at least presentable.'"

We really can't imagine a dad saying this, but maybe he was on to something.

• jayne 2011/10/06 08:29:28
    Without
    jayne
    +11
    The only problem is that with such a high percentage of women who wear make up, people forget what actually looks "good".

• P0Pcorn 2012/08/19 22:18:45 (edited)
    With
    P0Pcorn
    I voted "With" as much as I hate saying that....Someone mentioned it's a part of grooming, I think that may be true. But I'm thinking of myself when I vote...I hardly wear any, but I know I look much better with it on. I always thought our needing make-up was the flaw because it's weird that we are naturally born and age a certain way but we don't like it and therefore invented make-up. We associate uneven tones as sickly and according to this study...Untrustworthy and not as competent. I think it has to do with gender more than anything. Women look more feminine when they wear what our cultures see as feminine clothes, jewerly, and hence, makeup!... I hate that I hate my actual face all the time. I admit...I was hoping most people voted "Without"...I have a feeling some people are voting what they want, or have exaggerated ideas of make-up. There is make-up that looks natural, not necessarily the eyeshadow, red lipstick, and blush. But, THOSE types I'm okay with because it's not trying to hide anything. Foundation, mascara, and eyeliner are the ones we use to imitate the natural beauty we wish we had. By the way, I found out that thick, dark eyelashes are actually a typical MALE feature...I thought so considering how many guys I've seen who look like they are wearing mascara but I know they aren't. Anyway... I think...Anyone would like to have good complexions and look like they are wearing make-up without having to.
  • meneope 2011/12/12 19:36:40
    Without
    meneope
    I can safely lick her cheeks without getting poisoned by Foundation!!!
  • jojac 2011/10/25 01:57:23
    Without
    jojac
    An attractive woman looks better natural.
  • Jm 2011/10/22 22:11:52
    With
    Jm
    make up enhances a womans natural beauty
    http://byrev.org/images/2010/...
  • jojac Jm 2011/10/25 01:58:39
    jojac
    makeup masks a womans natural beauty
  • Jm jojac 2011/10/25 10:09:23
    Jm
    yes it masks at the same time it enhances :)
  • jere.chievres 2011/10/22 20:35:14
    Without
    jere.chievres
    Depends on the lady.
  • Cancer-Fighter 2011/10/21 14:06:52
    Without
    Cancer-Fighter
    +1
    I think natural is better but very few women can pull off natural....
  • Tommy 2011/10/19 10:01:16
    Without
    Tommy
    +1
    Lots of make-up is a real turn-off for me especially bright red glossy lips. The thought of kissing lips like that turns my stomach. If she must wear some then let it be subtle. :)
  • TMan 2011/10/19 05:27:02
  • Chris Simmons 2011/10/16 21:43:14
    With
    Chris Simmons
    with most women when they wear makeup it hides things and that is good but with my beautiful jenny she is the type of women that can go without wearing makeup and still be absolutely breathtakingly beautiful :)
  • MirandaPhillips 2011/10/16 11:07:53
    With
    MirandaPhillips
    +2
    Everyone looks better with a little natural make-up.
  • BackRoadz 2011/10/15 21:23:51
    Without
    BackRoadz
    +1
    There should have been an "other" option. Some look good with it and some look good without it, depends on the face you're trying to hide......
  • Mr.2cool 2011/10/12 21:57:24
    Without
    Mr.2cool
    +2
    I personally like girls who have a great sense of style
    More than girls who wear makeup to look good
  • Dawn Jacquelyn 2011/10/12 08:23:26
    With
    Dawn Jacquelyn
    +2
    I like makeup, if applied correctly and not overdone.
  • Euphrosyne 2011/10/12 01:53:27
    Without
    Euphrosyne
    +1
    People should stop focusing on appearances so much.
  • joe 2011/10/11 23:23:06
    With
    joe
    +2
    Few woman have the natural beauty that can be attained by make up that has been applied correctly.
  • Dave 2011/10/10 18:14:23
    Without
    Dave
    +2
    some dont need it at all :) and they look fantastic :)
  • lionheart 2011/10/10 16:38:36
    With
    lionheart
    +1
    I always notice women who wear lipstick or lip gloss have lips that look more appealing in any color.
  • Mustang Girl 2011/10/10 00:29:20
    With
    Mustang Girl
    +1
    I am a woman who has wore make up ever since I was about 15 yrs old. My parents as a child use to tell me that I looked prettier without it, but don't tell our children that too. I feel that as a young girl they do look better without, but as you get older in life the make up does inhance a woman's looks. Just as long as they don't go to the extreme of making themselves look like a hooker or cheap.
  • KATniss 2011/10/09 21:11:17
    Without
    KATniss
    +1
    natural beauty.
  • william raggett 2011/10/09 14:56:51
    Without
    william raggett
    +2
    It really depends on the woman
  • Beth 2011/10/09 10:29:15
    With
    Beth
    +1
    I think make up can be a great thing. It's just that some people go overboard and look cheap and fake. When they start to cake it on so much that you forget what their natural skin tone looks like, then that's were the problem starts.

I think a thin layer of foundation that matches your skin tone is good. You should have just enough to cover up redness, breakouts and skin imperfections (like discoloration).
    I don't think blush is necessary during the day, but if you're going to wear it than only go a tad darker than your skin tone.
    Eye shadow is not something I'm a huge fan of, during the day at least. If you are wearing it during the day, than I say go for more pale colours, like brown, grey or pale pink. At night, you can got for things like like dark grey, purple and brighter pinks.
    Lipstick and lip gloss is something you can be a bit lenient with. During the day, while you should stick to nudes, you can go a bit more of a dark pink. But you should stay away from bright colours. But at night, then you can go all out with bright pinks and vibrant reds and plums, as long at it matches the outfit. I actually love bright lipstick and lip gloss.
    Mascara and eyeliner is actually something I think you can go a bit heavier on. Of course don't go overboard, but you can afford to l...

Mascara and eyeliner is actually something I think you can go a bit heavier on. Of course don't go overboard, but you can afford to let loose a little bit, because generally, it looks good. But you have to match with your skin tone. Paler skins should match with dark browns or grays, and olive and tanned skin tones can afford to go black.

Wow, I went on a bit there. But really what I am trying to say is that when used in the right manner, makeup can be awesome, and inspire confidence and respect. But when used badly, it can cause a lot of damage.
  • Beth Beth 2011/10/09 10:31:40
    Beth
    +1
    But in saying all that, its not necessary. if you don't want to wear it, then that's fine. And some people look better without makeup.
  • jojac Beth 2011/10/25 02:01:41 (edited)
    jojac
    did you say "during the day... stick to nudes"?
    in public?
  • Beth jojac 2011/10/30 05:14:10
    Beth
    by nudes I mean like nude lipstick colours (you know, browny colours or really pale pinks. stuff that doesn't really look like your wearing lipstick)

While I'm fine with people being nudists (well, hey. who am I to judge?) I think it should be something you do within the privacy of your own home. With the curtains shut.
  • P0Pcorn Beth 2012/08/19 22:38:02 (edited)
    P0Pcorn
    +3
    I really like your reply, I think it makes me feel better about make-up. I voted "with" as well but I also said I didn't like saying so. It's true, I definitely don't mind wearing make-up if I have a blemish that isn't supposed to be there. Lip gloss does keep lips from becoming dry and looks pretty cute. I just think it makes me sad when I wear it even though my face is healthy and the best it can look "naturally". Like, dude, I WISH I looked like this already haha but true about what you said about it possibly causing damage--I feel bad for those with acne troubles because I've had pimple problems before, and make-up can worsen it. There must be some acne-fighting make-up out there for anyone who would just like to go without having to look at it for just a day. But, just to add, I never pay attention to someone else's acne anyway, but it's way different when it's myself! And I guess they must feel the same way.
  • dontcallmedarling0103 2011/10/09 08:59:34
    Without
    dontcallmedarling0103
    it depens really on the person sum people look pretty with make-up sum look bad with it and sum people r just really pretty without it but then u c the people that u look at them and they really need make-up LOL
  • Untouched 2011/10/09 08:22:44
    With
    Untouched
    I hate my dark circles and blemishes so foundation is a must have. and i also love the way a bit of eyeliner and mascara enhances my eyes. other than that, i rarely wear smth else. but i love to go bold sometimes, especially with the eyes :D I just don't have time w/ school and stuff :( i wanna become a make-up artist
  • angel face 2011/10/09 03:25:52
    Without
    angel face
    it really depends on the woman. for me personally, i dont need makeup because my face looks basically the same with or without it but its fun to put on
  • kelly 2011/10/09 03:22:23
    With
    kelly
    Everyone looks better with makeup, if they do it right.
  • Beth kelly 2011/10/09 10:30:15
    Beth
    not everybody, but a lot of people, yes. However, I think that if you don't want to wear it, then you shouldn't feel pressured to do it.
  • kelly Beth 2011/10/09 17:14:55
    kelly
    Well, if you do it correctly, everyone looks much better because it helps to highlight your good features and covers your "bad" ones.

I personally don't wear make-up unless it's for a special occasion. It's great for dressing up with, but it's too much of a hassle for it to be an everyday must.
  • Chase Martin 2011/10/09 02:34:16
    With
    Chase Martin
    +1
    Depends though
  • F*ckTheSystem 2011/10/09 00:20:47
    Without
    F*ckTheSystem
    Make up makes girls look so damn fake and I hate fakes .
    Better to be natural and imperfect than to be fake and perfect.
  • sally 2011/10/08 22:26:36
    Without
    sally
    It depends, women who cake a ton of makeup on themselves is not good.
  • Gina 2011/10/08 21:06:07
    With
    Gina
    +1
    Being someone with the aspiration to become a makeup artist, I love how it can transform your face, but I believe it is NOT necessary. Sure it makes MOST look better, but they dont completely need it, if, however, you have a skin disorder, or a LOT of acne, its OKAY to cover up to boost your confidence, but dont just slap on the makeup and believe everything is okay, do something to better your condition, like if its acne, cleanse your face, eat right, face masks, serums, etc. use those at night, wear makeup in the day, and as your face gets better wear less and less makeup.

Im currently on my road to less makeup, because at one point I became too dependant on it...

If it is an irreversable skin condition, Makeup is allowed.
    In my opinion...
  • P0Pcorn Gina 2012/08/19 22:45:33 (edited)
    P0Pcorn
    +2
    I think you make a great point---I'm sure some can't stand to see their acnes sometimes and they want to see what they would look without it like other people. I know because I had to go around with these burns on my face, then an outbreak of pimples for so long and begged my sister to help me.
  • Gina P0Pcorn 2012/08/31 02:34:28
    Gina
    I think sometimes it's okay to want to look better, it's not like you're covering everything about yourself just by putting on some makeup.
  • awesomeguy1235 2011/10/08 20:44:00
    Without
    awesomeguy1235
    +1
    my girl looks better without makeup

2014/10/31 13:43:21