Do "White" People Get Sickle Cell Anemia? Another Race Myth Solved!

Foxhound BN0 2011/05/10 23:03:17

Yes, people who are "White" can carry sickle cell trait. Sickle cell diseases are actually a broad group of hemoglobinopathies
(genetic blood disorders) that affect over 250 million people around
the world, including people in Africa, North & South America, the
Mediterranean and Middle East, South Asia, and Europe.

Sickle cell trait is not a disease or illness - it is merely a
descriptive term that indicates a person has inherited on "normal"
hemoglobin gene (Hb A) and another "abnormal" hemoglobin gene (Hb S).
Some individuals with sickle cell trait are at increased risk for sudden
death if they are dehydrated or exposed to high altitudes, but this
occurs rarely.

If two individuals who have sickle cell trait (Hb AS) mate, then there is a 25% chance with each birth
that they will have a child with sickle cell anemia (Hb SS); a 25%
chance that they will have a child with normal hemoglobin (Hb AA); and a
50% chance that they will have a child with sickle cell trait.

Sickle cell trait occurs in approximately 1 in 12 African Americans; 1 in 1400 Hispanics, and nearly 1 in 100,000 Whites.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_white_people_carry_sickle_cell_T...

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-teachers-04.htm

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/sicklecell/sicklecell...

http://aablooddriveandmarrowregistry4sicklecellawareness.webs...

Please share this. You might save someone's life.

• Disko Pickle 2011/05/11 05:18:06
    Disko Pickle
    +21
    People with sickle-cell anemia are immune to malaria, one of the most deadly diseases in the world. Having sickle-cell actually gives you an adaptive survival advantage over most of the rest of the world population.

• ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/05/11 04:46:33
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    I dont think they can but im no doctor maybe but most likely quite rare
    maybe found in the mixed Race of a child with a black parent and white parent are more likely to have it
  • nina.ho... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/12/25 21:46:33
    nina.holloway.35
    +13
    wrong in order to have the disease both parents must have the gene and pass it on to the child. if only one parent has the gene and the other doesn't the child could possibly be a carrier but in order to have the disease and pass it on both parents must have the gene.
  • Steve 2011/05/11 04:22:07
    Steve
    +2
    a relative of mine has it and she's white.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2011/05/11 04:10:29
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +9
    This is why I strongly encourage interracial marriages/relationships.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2011/05/11 04:08:08
    Artist~PWCM~
    +1
    In other words, pretty much no...
    Yeah it happens but you've got a better chance of getting polio.
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2011/05/11 03:41:28
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    Great post fox! Thanks for sharing this info. Blessings ~ Nana
  • Foxhoun... Charu ∞... 2011/05/11 03:43:15
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    Thank you Nana!
  • Charu ∞... Foxhoun... 2011/05/11 03:45:32
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    you're welcome foxhound! :D
  • PanDuh 2011/05/11 03:33:03
    PanDuh
    +3
    Its not as common but yes, they do. A 4 year old I babysit a few years back had sickle cells. Everyone has a chance at getting some illness, disease, or mild mutation.
  • Cunningmungus 2011/05/11 03:27:33
    Cunningmungus
    +6
    Can't somebody please jump on the obvious Obama Sickle reference here?? It's right in front of you!! jump obvious obama sickle reference communist sickle
  • Foxhoun... Cunning... 2011/05/11 03:44:02
    Foxhound BN0
    +3
    Oh lordy.
  • Melizmatic Cunning... 2011/05/11 05:12:47
    Melizmatic
    +5
    ::: laughs manically :::
  • Cunning... Melizmatic 2011/05/11 05:19:16
  • AndrewHull 2011/05/11 03:14:26
    AndrewHull
    +5
    Actually the are many Jews that carry the sickle cell trait.
    My son carries the trait also.
  • Nisa PinkySwear(*~*) 2011/05/11 03:01:02
    Nisa PinkySwear(*~*)
    +3
    Yea my mom has a trait...Thanks, I didnt know it was THAT common.
  • Charlied169 2011/05/11 02:56:43
    Charlied169
    +2
    great information to know
  • Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/05/11 02:27:04
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4
    That is interesting. I honestly did not know that white people could get this. It is virtually unheard of. I see now. It is like Tay Sachs. Thank you. 1 in 100,000 is pretty remote.
  • Tau_Seti 2011/05/11 02:25:57
  • Foxhoun... Tau_Seti 2011/05/11 03:12:37
    Foxhound BN0
    +4
    So if one group left, say Africa, and went North and turned white through adaptation, then maybe the anemia came about after the split, but the text I read says some people with this trait had resistance to malaria, so that others died off, while this malaria resistant group lived on beyond child bearing age more often. It would have been an advantage to have the sickle cell trait, there, at that time. That makes sense if it is true. So if part of that group headed North and adapted with light skin, the sickle cell trait would have become disadvantageous. The northern people would no longer keep the sickle cell related adaptation.
  • AndrewHull Tau_Seti 2011/05/11 16:31:07
    AndrewHull
    Actually many jews carry the trait naturally. Do you think jews are white?
  • Tau_Seti AndrewHull 2011/05/11 16:33:03
  • Usti Waya BN-0 2011/05/11 02:23:31
    Usti Waya BN-0
    +4
    Very good article and extremely eyeopening. I really didn't know. Thank you, foxhound.
  • Foxhoun... Usti Wa... 2011/05/11 03:17:15
    Foxhound BN0
    +4
    You are welcome, FL. I didn't know either.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2011/05/11 00:33:58
    themadhare ~IJM
    +2
    the sickle cell trait mutated at least five times independently in five unrelated founders. each is expressed by different biochemical pathways.

http://scidiv.bellevuecollege...
  • Max7 2011/05/11 00:20:35
    Max7
    +1
    Sickle Cell Anemia is predominately found in the Black race, and in people who are bi-racial. Usually sickle cell anemia skips a generation. None of my mothers children had sickle cell, but she had a brother who past at a very young age with sickle cell anemia, and she had a sister who passed away at the age of 35 from complications caused by sickle cell anemia. My mother's youngest sister, has a grand daughter who has sickle cell, she is in her early twenties. Now adays mixed marriages are more prevalent, opening the door for others to be born with this very painful illness.
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2011/05/11 00:10:46
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +2
    I would just like to add - Do white people get sickle cell anemia? Virtually no. Is it possible - sure but consider the odds. 1/100,000 x 1/100,000 (the odds of two white people with sickle trait breeding - and that doesn't even factor in that one is male and one is female which makes the odds slightly higher)= 1/10,000,000,000 (one in 10 billion), and then to have sickle disease would be (I think) 1 in 40 billion, sickle trait 1 in 20 billion.

So really, do white people get sickle cell disease? From a practical standpoint?

No.
  • Foxhoun... abycinn... 2011/05/11 00:14:00 (edited)
    Foxhound BN0
    +3
    The chart says 7 million light skinned have it. The quote says 1 in 100,000.
  • abycinn... Foxhoun... 2011/05/11 00:20:12 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    Well, if that's correct, then that would mean that there are 7 x 10 6th x 10 5th caucasians, which would be 7 x 10 11th, which would be 700,000,000,000 caucasians - which is too many. So I don't know which of their numbers are wrong, or if both are wrong. but clearly something is wrong.

I think the selection of population from which data were obtained should be scrutinized - this may be skewing the numbers oddly.
  • Foxhoun... abycinn... 2011/05/11 00:35:14
  • abycinn... Foxhoun... 2011/05/11 16:14:38
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    yeah, me neither.
  • Max7 Foxhoun... 2011/05/11 00:23:19
    Max7
    Sickle cell has nothing to do with one's complexion, my aunt had a beautiful complexion but she was not light skinned, she was born with sickle cell and had a very rough childhood, but she was very strong willed and determined to get her education, she died at the age of 35.
  • Foxhoun... Max7 2011/05/11 00:29:19
    Foxhound BN0
    +3
    I'm talking about skin color related to sickle cell.

com·plex·ion/kəmˈplekSHən/Noun
    1. The natural color, texture, and appearance of a person's skin, esp. of the face: "an attractive girl with a pale complexion".
  • Max7 Foxhoun... 2011/05/11 01:54:51
    Max7
    +1
    I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. My aunt had sickle cell anemia and she was not a light complexed person. You've got me puzzled on this one, I also know others who had sickle cell and they were were brown skin.
  • Foxhoun... Max7 2011/05/11 02:05:10
    Foxhound BN0
    +3
    Yes. Sickle cell is prevalent in people with dark skin.
  • abycinn... Max7 2011/05/11 16:22:10
    abycinnamon BN-1
    it's not about skin color, it's about gene pool. If you have people who came from Africa in your pedigree, it increases the chance that you may carry the sickle allele for hemoglobin. However, given that the prevalence in that population is only 1 in 12, the odds are still against it.
  • Max7 abycinn... 2011/05/12 02:01:34
    Max7
    I disagree, our family was told during the illness of my aunt (by physicians) that the chances of children being born with sickle cell anemia derives through the blood, and particularly when you are mixed with various races. My grandfather was mixed with Black and White, he was a small framed man whom no one could decern what nationality he was, his hair was beautiful, is eyes were a greyish blue, and his complexion was like any other White man, his wife, my grandmother was a tall beautiful Black woman mixed with Indian, she was brown skinned, had beautiful hair and a nose just like poccahantus. To the contrary, I have never (and I could be wrong) heard of Africans suffering from sickle cell anemia. To be truthful with you, the average Black is so far removed from a pedigree African. The majoity of the Black American female, does not have facial features like the African female, she does not have the body like the African female and definitely she does not have the feet, ankles and legs like the African female, and one of the reasons for that difference is because many Blacks are like Heinz 57. Many years ago as I stated in another comment because of our forefathers and the task masters having their way with the Black man's woman, and because of this many Blacks heirtage goes ...
    I disagree, our family was told during the illness of my aunt (by physicians) that the chances of children being born with sickle cell anemia derives through the blood, and particularly when you are mixed with various races. My grandfather was mixed with Black and White, he was a small framed man whom no one could decern what nationality he was, his hair was beautiful, is eyes were a greyish blue, and his complexion was like any other White man, his wife, my grandmother was a tall beautiful Black woman mixed with Indian, she was brown skinned, had beautiful hair and a nose just like poccahantus. To the contrary, I have never (and I could be wrong) heard of Africans suffering from sickle cell anemia. To be truthful with you, the average Black is so far removed from a pedigree African. The majoity of the Black American female, does not have facial features like the African female, she does not have the body like the African female and definitely she does not have the feet, ankles and legs like the African female, and one of the reasons for that difference is because many Blacks are like Heinz 57. Many years ago as I stated in another comment because of our forefathers and the task masters having their way with the Black man's woman, and because of this many Blacks heirtage goes far beyond Africa. Your chances for having sickle cell anemia is not from the pedigree of darkness, actually it has nothing to do with the color of your skin, it is the mixture of the bloodline. In Bi-racial relationships it is the dominate gene that determines the complexion - look at these off springs of Bi-racial couples. bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Stars of Dairy of a Mad Black Woman bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Boris Kodjoe bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Derrick Jeter bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Tiger Woods bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Hines Ward bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Miriah Carey  Halle Berry bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Lena Horne Eartha Kitt bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Lena Horne Eartha Kitt bi-racial relationships dominate gene determines complexion springs bi-racial couples Cab Calloway and there's many, many more, you can see in these few how dominate the Black gene is.
  • abycinn... Max7 2011/05/13 06:21:02 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Believe as you wish. I am a physician, my specialty is pathology, and my undergraduate major was genetics. But you are under no obligation to listen to me. If you think this is passed "through the blood" and not through genes, and that African origin has nothing to do with the frequency of Hb S, then that is your right. I would strongly disagree with a statement like "how dominant the Black gene is" because to me it is very obviously a multigenic trait, as it is much to variable and complex to be at a single locus. But of course you are entitled to your opinion.
  • Max7 abycinn... 2011/05/13 07:27:39
    Max7
    and I grew up with family who has sickle cell, and who had sickle cell, just because you are a physician, you do not know it all! Nor do you know what we were told or experienced, your arguement at first had to do with color, get your facts straight doc. If you're a doctor, I have a bridge to sale you.
  • abycinn... Max7 2011/05/15 23:25:41 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    And if you had a brain, you'd sit on the floor and play with it. Between your problems with reading comprehension and your problems with writing, you are way over your head. Have a nice day.
  • Max7 abycinn... 2011/05/16 02:15:57
    Max7
    If you are a physician, I am a chicken with lips. I know what I know, and I know that you are a ignoramous who thinks he has all of the facts about sickle cell and Black folks. Get a life, better yet Doc, go on the internet and look up sickle cell.com and you'll find out that this disease is a blood disorder in the cells, Blood has everything to do with this disorder and it is prevalent in the Black race, end of discussion most intelligent one. God forbid that I never run into anyone like you claiming to be a doctor! You have a good day!

2014/12/18 07:17:07