Do "White" People Get Sickle Cell Anemia? Another Race Myth Solved!

foxhound BN0 2011/05/10 23:03:17

Yes, people who are "White" can carry sickle cell trait. Sickle cell diseases are actually a broad group of hemoglobinopathies
(genetic blood disorders) that affect over 250 million people around
the world, including people in Africa, North & South America, the
Mediterranean and Middle East, South Asia, and Europe.

Sickle cell trait is not a disease or illness - it is merely a
descriptive term that indicates a person has inherited on "normal"
hemoglobin gene (Hb A) and another "abnormal" hemoglobin gene (Hb S).
Some individuals with sickle cell trait are at increased risk for sudden
death if they are dehydrated or exposed to high altitudes, but this
occurs rarely.

If two individuals who have sickle cell trait (Hb AS) mate, then there is a 25% chance with each birth
that they will have a child with sickle cell anemia (Hb SS); a 25%
chance that they will have a child with normal hemoglobin (Hb AA); and a
50% chance that they will have a child with sickle cell trait.

Sickle cell trait occurs in approximately 1 in 12 African Americans; 1 in 1400 Hispanics, and nearly 1 in 100,000 Whites.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_white_people_carry_sickle_cell_T...

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-teachers-04.htm

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/sicklecell/sicklecell...

http://aablooddriveandmarrowregistry4sicklecellawareness.webs...

Please share this. You might save someone's life.

• Disko Pickle 2011/05/11 05:18:06
    Disko Pickle
    +21
    People with sickle-cell anemia are immune to malaria, one of the most deadly diseases in the world. Having sickle-cell actually gives you an adaptive survival advantage over most of the rest of the world population.

• This is W³ 2013/07/15 17:41:30
    This is W³
    +1
    I was not aware of this. Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.
  • cindy.b.hill.1 2012/08/30 02:05:51
    cindy.b.hill.1
    +3
    http://Facebook.com/groups/Pr...

Xooma Sickle Cell Transformation

Welcome to Xooma Sickle Cell Transformation page. The power of minerals are amaz...

See More
  • Betty 2011/09/23 03:18:28
    Betty
    +1
    My son is white and has been diagnosed with advanced sickle cell anemia. I am very confused. I am just searching for answers. He is 22 and this has just surfaced. We are desperate for answers but everybody seems to have different inputs. No facts. I need answers such as how and where did he get it. He is have a blood transfusion on the 30th of September. Is this going to really help or put him in more pain. He is the father of two little girls. Shouldn't they be tested?
  • foxhoun... Betty 2011/10/01 23:35:50
    foxhound BN0
    +1
    It is hereditary and came from one or both of his parents and I assume his children should be tested.
  • brea Betty 2011/10/11 10:10:42
    brea
    +3
    sir Sickle cell anemia is geneticly given to someone you cant just catch it from someone. and Sickle cell will not kill him its not like its cancer. and a blood transfusion sounds kind of off. I mean it wont hurt him I guess it should make him feel better but if he is in sickle cell crisis water and medicine will make him feel 10x better than an tranfusion depending on the problem. I am 16 and Ive had Sickle cell my hole life and it does not give you a time line on how long you are going to live. if you research it then you will see that its a very common disease
  • sara je... Betty 2014/03/11 00:35:49
    sara jennings
    +1
    Betty you have to have African or Mediterranean heritage in order to get this disease Since he's just being diagnosed he shoud see a specialists and learn more. A blood transfusion helps alot it pursuit hemoglobin counts up.txt his daughters should be tested
  • Darnel 2011/05/13 17:13:47
    Darnel
    +1
    Sigh.
    Pluses and Minuses.
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/05/12 07:12:39
    Myrle Hulme
    White people can carry the trait but not sickle cell anemia, it is basically prevalent in people and decendants from sub-saharian Africa
  • Warren ... Myrle H... 2011/05/14 14:36:02
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +2
    No, the trait means that a person carries one recessive gene. Someone who carries two recessive genes will have anemia. Two people, each with sickle cell trait will produce 25% offspring with anemia. This is mathematically true regardless of race or ethnic background.
  • Myrle H... Warren ... 2011/05/16 06:14:45
    Myrle Hulme
    +1
    I will bow to your knowledge.
  • Warren ... Myrle H... 2011/05/16 19:11:49
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    My daughter carries the sickle cell trait gene and she is as white as they come.
  • Myrle H... Warren ... 2011/05/17 08:40:39
    Myrle Hulme
    I am very sorry to hear this as, if my knowledge is correct, not cureable and they normally die young. I sincerely hope this does not happen to your daughter
  • mia.sco... Myrle H... 2012/09/26 18:03:35
    mia.scott.587
    +4
    Ugh, they do not die young especially if carrying the trait. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself lady.
  • mia.sco... Myrle H... 2012/09/26 18:02:06
    mia.scott.587
    +2
    Negative. Whites can have sickle cell anemia and it's also carried by Asians, middle Eastern descent, Africans, latinos, and Mediterranean descent. So you see just not sub-saharian Africans carry this. Do more research please. Don't continue to look like an ass.
    +2
    The sickle cell anemia gene is an adaptation to malaria. Those with one of the genes are malaria resistant, those with two of the genes die. Now if you die before having children, your genes die with you. But the gene survives in those areas where malaria is endemic, because it increases the survival of 3/4s of the young. This is not a black white issue ....it is a tropical vs. temperate zone issue. This specific adaptation to malaria appears to have emerged in Africa making African Americans much more likely to survive a malaria epidemic than pure Europeans.

A side effect of this advantage is that 1 in 4 children of those whose parents have this resistance to malaria, get sickle cell anemia and die before they have children....but 3 of the 4 children survive malaria.
  • foxhoun... Ken 2011/05/12 05:08:28
    foxhound BN0
    +1
    Basically it's not an advantage without lots of malaria around.
  • Ken foxhoun... 2011/05/12 16:55:18
    The sickle cell gene is a disadvantage when malaria is not endemic because it kills 1 of 4 children. But where malaria is rampant, it saves 3 of 4 children. The emergence of modern medicine and mosquito control has reduced or eliminated the value of this gene making it a liability for those populations which carry it.
  • boo Ken 2011/05/14 16:28:06
    boo
    It is NOT an adaptation to malaria.
  • Ken boo 2011/05/14 17:50:41
    +2
    Okay...I made an assertion without identifying sources. Here are a few references:
    "Scientists believe that sickle cell disease originated thousands of years ago as a hemoglobin gene mutation where malaria is a common illness." Read more: Malaria & Sickle Cell Disease | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_514...

"Sickling and sickle cell disease also confer some resistance to malaria parasitization of red blood cells, so that individuals with sickle-cell trait (heterozygotes) have a selective advantage in some environments." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

"Sickle-cell hemoglobin may gas malaria into submission, a new study proposes. People who carry a mutation that deforms the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells are well-known to be protected against malaria." http://www.usnews.com/science...

There are many additional references but this seems to be adequate to support my assertion.
  • boo Ken 2011/05/14 17:52:34
    boo
    I'm happy you said "your" assertion :-)
  • Ken boo 2011/05/14 18:47:10
    My assertion is the assertion of modern science and proven through controlled experiments. In other words, better demonstrated than the theory that chemo therapy cures cancer. Of course there is no reason for you to believe modern science. You may as well continue to think the earth is flat and at the center of the universe.

And don't give me that BS about you believe the Bible because in Genesis God created the sun and the moon on day 4. So clearly days 1 - 3 were not solar days and therefore were of indefinite duration...and if days 1 - 3 were not solar days, than arguing that days 4 through 7 were solar days if preposterous and assumes a schizophrenic God who changes willy nilly. Of course, if God is so irrational, God may have created all this evidence just to deceive humanity but I refuse to accept a deceptive God...and think you should reject such a stupid idea as well.

Is this clear enough? You are using religion as an excuse not to use your brain and to reject what others have discovered. I believe you embarrass God.
  • boo Ken 2011/05/14 19:12:10
    boo
    Wow ... you're scientifically paranoid. I'm not religious :-)
  • Ken boo 2011/05/14 19:51:09
    My point....

You have made an assertion without supporting evidence. I provided supporting evidence and you then question it as "my assertion" Such behaviors are encountered in children and dogmatic religious zealots. I assumed you were an adult. Sorry.
  • boo Ken 2011/05/15 13:33:09
    boo
    I am an adult ... just not a crazy one :-)
  • Ken boo 2011/05/15 15:41:23 (edited)
    +2
    Okay ... so if the sickle cell trait is not an adaptation to malaria, why do you think it is common among people from areas where malaria is endemic?

Don't keep us guessing. You have already said it is not an adaptation to malaria so you must have a better explanation.
  • mia.sco... Ken 2012/09/26 18:05:44
    mia.scott.587
    +1
    Sir, I know several Africans and Malaria can be caught if you have sickle cell and only worsens the condition. Scientific controlled experiments bs.
  • Ken mia.sco... 2012/09/27 01:50:11
    I am not a doctor nor a geneticist so all I know is what I have been told. Here are a few sources which lead me to believe research has led doctors and geneticists believe the recessive sickle cell helps the person carrying the trait resists malaria.
    http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu...
    http://www.buzzle.com/article...
    http://fox6now.com/2012/09/24...
    http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/ab...

I could go on with the list but you can quickly develop it yourself by entering a search engine query for sickle cell anemia and malaria. If you are a physician or geneticist, you probably have access to even better information sources and are better qualified than I to reach the correct conclusions about these articles.

Your anecdotal examples, however, are of no use to me. As I understand the impact, the sickle cell trait does not prevent malaria but it does help the patient survive malaria. To my knowledge science does not yet understand the chemical pathway which provides this resistance.
    http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu...
    http://www.buzzle.com/article...
    http://fox6now.com/2012/09/24...
    http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/ab...

• mia.sco... Ken 2012/09/27 23:23:08
    mia.scott.587
    +2
    I have sickle cell. So I am speaking from life and from others that live with the disorder. I need no search engine to tell me other wise or scientist.
  • Ken mia.sco... 2012/09/28 03:04:06
    You are of course free to believe whatever you wish. I am not inclined to accept your anecdotal examples, however, over carefully constructed studies. I also recognize there are many examples of scientific follies in the past. This may be another such folly.
  • daitchi... Ken 2014/03/18 08:49:52
    daitchie ponthieux
    +3
    Lol I like reading these post....man you all are being ignorant....malaria is resistant in sickle cell people....my daughter in law has it and beat it...you gain more evidence by experience than reading and seeing what quacky scientist have to say....I don't believe a word any scientist has to say....the world was going to end for the Milan calendar ended....did it ever occur to any of the so called smartest person in the world to think the Milan calender ended because there was no one left to keep the calendar going....I don't believe in science...science is based on theories and not facts...excuse me theories until proven as facts....science theories god Jesus fact....I'm not a religious finatic....but I know my lord and if you were to take a little time from your day of gossiping....and read your bible....pray get to know god....Jesus Christ....you would know...Jesus is true god...its something you just know.....Lola I love my Lord Jesus.....
  • Ken daitchi... 2014/03/18 13:01:35
    You are of course free to believe as you wish. The Bible can be a source for moral guidance but it is not going to tell a doctor how to treat your malaria or most other diseases. Similarly it can provide insight into how to manage a team building a computer but will not tell the engineer how to design an integrated circuit.

So while you may not believe in science, you and I would not be communicating if someone didn't accept science long enough to build the computers and the network we are using to communicate.
  • daitchi... Ken 2014/03/27 02:11:45
    daitchie ponthieux
    So true....god didn't have man to be born ignorant...no the bible don't tells what how to make things or tell some one what is wrong with us...but by your own faith and belief god does tell doctors what is wrong with us....correction. Some doctors who are believers. Yes something's I don't believe in about science and others things like the computer I like....I was born with a birth defect on my face....I had 14 major reconstruction surgeries on my face....at two lane medical university in new Orleans Louisiana I had my surgeries from age 8 months to 15 years old....did they help? No...so called school of medical arts says they were going to fix my face..they didn't....I remember them telling mom we will take bone out of her hip place it above her eye shave it down and that will bring her eye up...if that don't work then we will try something else....I remember being able to smile on the right side of my face....after the last surgery it left the right side of my face saggy and paralized. Worse....though my face was uneven....one side lower than the other....but still I had a beautiful smile....just my eye was lower than the other...my mouth was straight. I have pictures to prove it....they rerouted muscles in my left jaw and placed a piece of freezer tape on my jaw and said t...
    So true....god didn't have man to be born ignorant...no the bible don't tells what how to make things or tell some one what is wrong with us...but by your own faith and belief god does tell doctors what is wrong with us....correction. Some doctors who are believers. Yes something's I don't believe in about science and others things like the computer I like....I was born with a birth defect on my face....I had 14 major reconstruction surgeries on my face....at two lane medical university in new Orleans Louisiana I had my surgeries from age 8 months to 15 years old....did they help? No...so called school of medical arts says they were going to fix my face..they didn't....I remember them telling mom we will take bone out of her hip place it above her eye shave it down and that will bring her eye up...if that don't work then we will try something else....I remember being able to smile on the right side of my face....after the last surgery it left the right side of my face saggy and paralized. Worse....though my face was uneven....one side lower than the other....but still I had a beautiful smile....just my eye was lower than the other...my mouth was straight. I have pictures to prove it....they rerouted muscles in my left jaw and placed a piece of freezer tape on my jaw and said that it was going to lift my eye up....excuse me...what does moving my jaw muscles have to do with my eye...exactly nothing...I was more or less their guinni pig. So to use me to find out how they can heal others I don't mind....but fix what you broke....now there's not a Dr that I can find that will touch my case...lots of fatty scar tissue....hemangioma tumors are around my eye and on my brain....with all that technology they have....they couldn't fix my face...I see everyday on the internet amazing things drs can do for people who was worse off than me.....they were fixed as though they never had a birth defect....I see actors getting their face done to stay young. If people who don't have facial problems like me would learn to appreciate themselves and be thankful they look normal...and for those who pick on me and look at me funny....if they felt just a pinch of my pain...I they wouldn't be able to bear it.....as far as my lord Jesus...he took the tumor away that was life threatening. It was above my eye and kept growing. They couldn't do nothing about it...so mom took meto church called fflat woods united Pentecostal church in flat woods Louisiana gave her life to Jesus...I was 5 years old that preacher brother Gene Sanders asked me if I believe in Jesus Christ....he asked me if I believe my Jesus will take that tumor away I told him yes....all the elders in the church come around me they were all praying....that night mama put me to bed....I went to sleep....I found myself looking in the face of this beautiful being....standing at the foot of my bed....image of man with the light of god...no wings no flesh just animage of man and the glory of god....gods light....the tumor was gone....the drs were baffled...they couldn't find it....they didn't understand....they did understand when they had a five year old little girl tell them that her angel took that tumor away.....thing about science is they try to prove the non ex distance of Jesus Christ and yet failed to do so.....there too many people that witness healings and miracles that science will still deny if it happened in front of their eyes....now you know why science is nothing to me and my Jesus is everything to me....cause our lord gave us our brains....some use their brains and some don't...every living creature that is on this earth including angels were made by god...those of you that don't believe, what would it hurt to try him...what would it hurt to talk to him....if its embarrassing or you think it will hurt your ego...then don't tell anyone about it...talk to Jesus...tell him to show you he is real....if you don't believe...just put forth little faith in him and ask him to reveal himself to you...when he does...it will be the most peacefully joy feeling that does not compare to happiness of this world....now ya know my story..god bless
  • daitchi... daitchi... 2014/03/27 02:17:17
    daitchie ponthieux
    Yes I still have other tumors but I'm alive....that's all that matters...I have other health issues the most important thing I'm alive....it wasn't the lords will forme to look like everyone else....iI now accept who I am and what I look like...because of the simple fact is I wouldn't be the compassionate caring loving person I am today
  • Ken daitchi... 2014/03/27 04:15:02
    Thanks for sharing your story.

Make no mistake...I am a strong believer in the power of God and the ability of this creature to heal itself with God's help. I don't share your certainty about the "name of God" but appreciate how naming this "force" can help us exercise it.

the only caution I have is be sure to worship God and not some book written by humans, i.e., the Bible. ... because the Bible can help us understand God but it doesn't claim (as some people claim on its behalf) to be the "word of God" ... for the "word of God" lives and dwells within the righteous .... it was the "word of God" and not the Bible that provided your healing.
  • daitchi... Ken 2014/04/02 04:39:01
    daitchie ponthieux
    i totally respect your beliefs and your thoughts....I will not argue with you like the others do....all I do is tell what happened to me as a child....as a witness for Jesus Christ my savior....yes the bible was written by humans....the Spirit of God told man what to write...if you look at the discovery channel and look for the documentary on the dead sea scrolls they found proves the existence of the bible are true...todays bible is not safe to read....people rewrote the bible many times and took words out of the scriptures and added some things...if you read one book then read the next you will find many things in the bible contradicts itself....I for one don't trust the bible and just depend on Gods Spirit to show me the path I should take and help me with different situations....im on ssi...I use to rescue cats...I didn't have the money to take them to the vet...so I relied on my Lord Jesus Christ to heal them....there were several cats that I loved dearly...they were so young and got sick....I did all I could to make my two cats comfortable.....I started praying....I was praying with my heart then I started praying a loud....and Angel came back to me....she was just 3 weeks old when she died of respiratory infection....but God said it wasn't her time....Im sure of it she...

i totally respect your beliefs and your thoughts....I will not argue with you like the others do....all I do is tell what happened to me as a child....as a witness for Jesus Christ my savior....yes the bible was written by humans....the Spirit of God told man what to write...if you look at the discovery channel and look for the documentary on the dead sea scrolls they found proves the existence of the bible are true...todays bible is not safe to read....people rewrote the bible many times and took words out of the scriptures and added some things...if you read one book then read the next you will find many things in the bible contradicts itself....I for one don't trust the bible and just depend on Gods Spirit to show me the path I should take and help me with different situations....im on ssi...I use to rescue cats...I didn't have the money to take them to the vet...so I relied on my Lord Jesus Christ to heal them....there were several cats that I loved dearly...they were so young and got sick....I did all I could to make my two cats comfortable.....I started praying....I was praying with my heart then I started praying a loud....and Angel came back to me....she was just 3 weeks old when she died of respiratory infection....but God said it wasn't her time....Im sure of it she would have died and gone forever if I hadn't prayed for her....I was deep in prayer for my angel....she was the sweetest little kitten....she was a special needy cat....but I still loved her and god helped me with her all the way.....
    sir im not trying to preach to you and I hope you don't think im one of those holly rollers or Jesus freak people....im of no religion or any kind...I just believe in my Lord Jesus.....I say that Jesus is real to everyone....because I remember the preacher saying in Jesus name you are healed....and later that night I saw my angel...no wings no flesh...just the image of man with the light of God...I never seen anything so beautiful and felt so peaceful as I did that night....there is no peace on earth...or let me say...there is no happiness on earth that could match the happiness, compassion, and peace better than the presence of my Father....yes the God All Mighty is real and nothing could stop him....
    I never said it was the bible that healed me....the bible doesn't cover the basics of living for god anymore....now a days you can't trust anyone about what they preach or what is right or wrong....
    I been to different churches and all of the churches had sin within the walls of the church.....Pentecostal....they are the worlds worse gossipers....I know I was a Pentecost and it took a long time for me to realize they were wrong for that.....preachers would sit there an preach to the church about not having a tv facebook and computers....and you visit them in their house and they have it all....that is why I quit going....the Baptist church is just too dead....I walked into a Baptist church one time listened to the sermon....what he preached on was great and he was right....I thought yeah this is what I need....well throughout the sermon I noticed they didn't clap their hands when the music was singing....they just sit there like a dead frog on a stump....wow....im not trying to judge the churches and if it sounds like it father forgive me please....im just telling you what I think about most churches...just my opinions...you believe what you want....im just here telling my story....and God will handle the rest....
    take for instance...my husband....he doesn't believe in God or the devil...so how do I handle that....I just don't preach to him and I pray for him....I don't bring it up all the time....I do once in a while....but I don't force God on no one....God gave us a free will....and I gave my free will back to God and told him I was his....my husband says seeing is believing that he couldn't believe in faith....because you can't see it...ok...but what he needs is a visit just what I had.....but God's angels appears to certain ones...I just hope he will let my husband see him....so he will believe....well its getting late...you take care and God Bless you....
  • Flowers 2011/05/11 15:22:28
    Flowers
    +2
    this would be a very good reference to the people claiming that evolution and adaptation to the environment doesn't happen. sickle cell developed to protect against malaria
  • Flowers 2011/05/11 15:18:46
    Flowers
    +1
    what I would like to know is WHY do people with sickle cell anemia get full disability when they are perfectly able to work and someone who has debilitating RA with bone fusion gets denied over and over?? Our government gives out benefits to people for the wrong reasons and denies coverage for others b/c they don't have the 'right' kind of disease
  • foxhoun... Flowers 2011/05/12 02:18:49
    foxhound BN0
    +2
    The government being what it is, no one should be surprised to find patients on disability who don't need it.

Sickle cells clog capillaries.

"Outlook (Prognosis)
    In the past, sickle cell patients often died from organ failure between ages 20 and 40. Thanks to a better understanding and management of the disease, today, patients can live into their 50s or beyond.
    Causes of death include organ failure and infection."
    http://health.nytimes.com/hea...
  • daitchi... foxhoun... 2014/04/02 04:52:12
    daitchie ponthieux
    great answer.....thanks
  • Dawn Flowers 2011/05/13 22:49:28
    Dawn
    not everyone with sickle cell gets disability and not everyone with RA is denied.

and if everyone with RA automatically got it someone would be pissed about that because women get it more often than men.

our government does its best to deny benefits to anyone it can wherever it can.

2014/04/16 10:41:22