Do waitresses make min wage

Shawn 2013/07/15 17:41:58
Related Topics: True, Tip, tell
Everyone always tells me your always suppose to leave a tip because they don't make min wage. Is this true?

• John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2013/08/19 04:37:18
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    some do most don't
  • Jacksane 2013/08/10 03:54:00
    Jacksane
    +1
    Technically, "minimum wage" is lower for waitresses because the government expects them to earn most of their money in tips, but it's so low that without tips they really couldn't support themselves.
  • kyrielle 2013/07/23 07:54:02
  • John Ga... kyrielle 2013/08/19 04:38:10
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    how did you get thatword past the sh police?
  • Alexis Lynn 2013/07/21 23:13:11
    Alexis Lynn
    They have thier own set of minimum wages. Where I live, minimum wage for a waitress is $3.50. It is set up assuming that they will make most of their money in tips. That is why they always say tip at least 10% of what your bill was, and if you were using some sort of coupon thingy, then you tip 10% on what it was before you took the discount. I normally tip 20% though, as long as the waitress/waitor was good.
  • James 2013/07/21 02:22:58
    James
    Not the waiters/waitresses who work at the 5 star restaurants.
  • Hunter 2013/07/20 21:25:21
    Hunter
    they have there own minimum wage which is like 3,50 but they keep there tips so they technally can make more then minimum wage as u know it which is 7.50 i believe. s ya leve tips thats how they make there money
  • Gregaj7 2013/07/20 19:30:19
    Many STATEs have what is known as "restaurant wages", which are less than the minimum due to the tips received. Colorado is a participant in this while efforts have been afoot to change it vor more than two decades.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2013/07/20 16:35:42
    Lerro DeHazel
    I'm not so sure that the Waitress should be paid more than the Chef . . . Should the Chef who prepares the meal make less money than the individual who's job it is to deliver the meal to the table? . . . If the meal sucks; and you, as a patron, throws it back in the face; you don't throw it back in the face of the Chef; you throw it back in the face of the Waitress. At any rate (NPI), you should always make it a point to tip 20%.
  • Centurion~PWCM~JLA 2013/07/20 16:18:41
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    From what I've seen, they make minimum wage. The Wicked Witch of the West (aka my 1st ex-wife) usually worked as a waitress and told me that she was paid below minimum wage on the assumption that a good waitress could make it up in tips. Of course, she tends to lie about most things so maybe she was lying about that too. On the other hand, I recall the place she was working at when I met her having a sign at the checkout counter telling us that waitresses were paid $1.55 (which was below minimum wage in 1974).

A waitress should not be paid below minimum wage on the assumption that they will make it up in tips. The tips are a reward for good service, not a part of their wages. To pay them less is wrong.
  • PrettieReptar 2013/07/20 16:13:57
    PrettieReptar
    The amount a waitress/waiter is paid by the hour depends on the state she/he lives in. Each state has its own labor laws.

Employers usually pay their tipped employees a lower hourly wage with the difference to made up by earning tips. However, If you do not earn enough tips to make up the difference, by law, the employer must do so.

For example: if the state minimum wage is $8.00 per hour but the employer only pays you $2.13 an hour, then your tips must make up the difference: $8.00 - $2.13 = $5.87.
  • kyrielle Prettie... 2013/07/23 07:55:22
    kyrielle
    +1
    but they dont make up the difference if people dont tip.
  • Prettie... kyrielle 2013/07/24 05:10:41
    PrettieReptar
    It will based on a 40 hour work week. After that, its usually time and one half.

If they aren't making it up to you, or whoever, bring it up to your employer and ask them to pay you. If they refuse you have two options: contact a lawyer or your state labor board.
  • kyrielle Prettie... 2013/07/24 05:16:26
    kyrielle
    +1
    yeah i definitely dont work 40 hours. i work 25 at most.and where i work its legal to do that. i just actually need to find a better job..
  • Prettie... kyrielle 2013/07/24 05:24:01
    PrettieReptar
    Even if you find another job, they still owe you back wages. In some states, I think there is a penalty for not paying you what they owe you in a timely fashion. But in order to collect this, you should bring it up the shortage to them first--in writing.

If you need help figuring it out let me know.
  • NhytFahl 2013/07/20 16:11:12
    NhytFahl
    Yes, it's true. Most waitresses and waiters are paid MUCH less than minimum wage. Some get as little as $2/hour base.

Their living - being able to pay the rent, utilities, and put food on the table - depends entirely on the tips they earn.
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2013/07/20 16:08:24
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    Waitresses don't make minimum wage. I used to work at sonic as a skating car hop. I made 4.25 a hour. I lived off my tips.
  • Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL 2013/07/20 16:04:52
    Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL
    Sorry, meant to click no. In most places they don't so they are working for the tips. I always tip well, even if the food is bad because they don't cook it. I will tell them if it is substandard but I won't punish them for the bad cooking of someone making way more than them.
  • lady_c5_loadmaster 2013/07/20 16:02:10
    lady_c5_loadmaster
    It depends on where they work as to how much they get paid but since they usually earn tips they get paid less than other occupations by their employers.
  • john brenni 2013/07/20 16:02:09
  • frank 2013/07/20 15:17:02
    frank
    +1
    Actually they make less than minimum wage because their employer says they will make it up in tips. This is what the waitresses I know tell me, it even happened to my daughter 30 years ago. That also goes for many bartenders.
  • john br... frank 2013/07/20 16:05:21
  • Seonag 2013/07/20 14:44:08
    Seonag
    In many restaurants this is true and, and, as far as I'm concerned, is WRONG. They should be paid at least minimum wage and then I should tip based on the quality of service I receive. By the way, this disparity is because workers weren't reporting their tips for income tax purposes. Even though the worker receives less than minimum wage, their W-2 will report minimum wage knowing that the worker received the tips. Legally, the worker is supposed to report all tips to the employer. That is another reason we need to go to a fair tax system and get rid of the IRS.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2013/07/20 14:35:56
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    Yes it's true! Minimum wage for bartenders and waiters is still under $3.00
  • john br... Lee The... 2013/07/20 16:06:21
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2013/07/20 14:25:42
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Sometimes even less.

• john br... Dogzebr... 2013/07/20 16:08:47
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2013/07/20 14:13:08
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    +1
    Some may and some may not.
    My tipping has more to do with how well
    the service is provided. THe better the
    service the higher the tip!
  • Lee The... GANGA~P... 2013/07/20 14:37:29
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +2
    Long ago they would tip before they were served, that's where the word TIPS came from it means "To Insure Proper Service"
  • Just me ♥ 2013/07/20 14:10:20
    Just me ♥
    Yes, it is true that they don't make min wage. Employers don't have to pay min wage to employees who earn tips, but most waitresses will end up making more than min wage with their tips that they earn.
  • les_gvt 2013/07/20 13:58:05
    les_gvt
    yes/no/ maybe

while doing side work- (cleaning) they usually make minimum wage

while actively serving- they make 1/2 minimum wage.

If they do not report enough in tips to bring them back up to minimum wage- the company has to pay them the difference

If a wait person is good, they should easily clear the minimum wage threshold on tips alone, however, people that wait on buffet guests often have trouble meeting that requirement. It also is difficult to meet on a slow shift with few customers
  • hermit57 2013/07/15 22:46:21
    hermit57
    +2
    minimum wage is the lowest wage a company can pay an employee. Waitresses make bare minimum. They work damn hard too. They don't just take your order and bring you your food. They help out in the kitchen, help unload and stock supplies and, clean up. So please tip the good ones generously! It's just that Cooks make way more, and even dish washers sometimes make more than a waitress because, management feels the waitress make extra in tips, whereas cooks etc. don't. It's not that she doesn't make minimum wage, it's that that is all she is paid. And in today's economy that isn't much!
  • Michael 2013/07/15 19:02:08
    Michael
    I don't know. I've heard the same thing, but I don't know any waiters or waitresses.
  • Gone. 2013/07/15 18:43:20
    Gone.
    On average most waitresses make between 2 and 4 dollars an hour
  • joe keeney 2013/07/15 18:27:03
    joe keeney
    No less than that.
  • Runaway ✩ 2013/07/15 18:18:06
    Runaway ✩
    +2
    No, they do not. I have met waiter staff in recent times who have made as little as a dollar an hour, plus tips. It CAN be a lucrative job, sometimes, with such an arrangement. Unfortunately, that usually requires that the waitress dress in next to nothing, and tolerate creepy old bastards fondling them.

Waiting staff need to be recognized as human beings, and brought into the twenty first century with minimum wage protections.
  • MidnightCowboy 2013/07/15 17:42:50 (edited)
    MidnightCowboy
    Some do but others don't. Nevertheless, they work hard for the money!

2014/07/26 18:47:03