Do Violent Video Games Negatively Affect Players?

AdriHead 2012/12/21 21:21:55
We hear it all the time: Violent video games are bad for you. They promote violence, they encourage slaughter and they mess with people's minds. And with a new report claiming that Adam Lanza -- the 20-year-old who killed 20 children and a handful of adults at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut recently -- liked to lock himself in his room and play violent video games, discourse about the topic is starting up again.

People want to know why Adam Lanza did it. Was it because he was mentally ill? Was it because he worshipped the devil? Or maybe, it had to do with the fact that he sat for hours playing violent video games in his room? Though no one can be sure why Lanza decided to go through with such a horrific mass shooting, we want to know what you think about violence in video games, in general. Do you think it negatively affects its players?

violent video games

Read More: http://hollywoodlife.com/2012/12/20/adam-lanza-add...

• Kigan 2012/12/21 21:36:33 (edited)
    Kigan
    +39
    Here we go again with this. Unless the player has other serious problems, no a video game is not going to negatively impact him/her to any significant extent.

In fact, for many it allows them to work out stress, anger, negativity, etc. in a way that hurts no one. Most of my gaming friends that play games like this would never hut anyone.

The key is self control and the ability to separate the game from reality. Once again, without other serious problems to fuel it, video games are not going to cause someone to go on a shooting spree. Chances are, they were going to do it anyway.

• JackTMohn 2013/02/16 00:23:10
    JackTMohn
    I have spent so much of my time playing violent video games and I am one of the nicest people you will meet.
  • Austin 2013/02/08 07:20:36
    Austin
    My "yes" is a very stringent one. It really rests on the fact that losing is losing, be it in a game or life. Life is obviously more important and much different, but losing in a game can negatively affect an avid player. However, that does not mean said person will go on a rampage. In that respect, no.
  • cyborg48 2013/02/05 18:18:19
    cyborg48
    +1
    i dont play these kind of games but i'm quite sadistic and violent sadistic meme
  • Hakking 2013/02/04 15:18:26
  • Greg Saunders 2013/02/04 11:19:27
    Greg Saunders
    Yes and the research includes violence on tv in general which goes back to Kinsey. When I was a step dad I had to limit even something as simple as Quake as her aggression soared during and for ages after but always returned to normal when her time was limited.

This coming from someone who enjoys occasional shoot em ups, as an adult I feel no effect but children are impressionable.
  • Alexfira 2013/02/03 11:37:06
    Alexfira
    +1
    it is a good way to let off steam better to kill mobs then people in real life :p
  • SUPREME COSMIC POWER, (SCOPO) 2013/02/03 01:10:18
    SUPREME COSMIC POWER, (SCOPO)
    Yes, you bet it does!
  • rik4100 2013/01/31 18:51:52
    rik4100
    +1
    UNLESS:
    you had a bad youth...
    you are easily upset...
    you are emotionally unstable...
    you have a mental disorder...
    you have a psychosis...

people who can enjoy life, and take responsibility of their lives, and have balance on mental aspects don't seem to be easily affected in a negative way...
  • MCPL Kalsi 2013/01/30 04:02:50
    MCPL Kalsi
    +1
    i used to play GTA as a child and i am not violent at all.
  • Gothic Kitty 2013/01/29 00:13:06
    Gothic Kitty
    +1
    Millions and millions of people play violent video games and don't harm a soul! Violent games may have had a part in Adam killing all of those children but it isn't the only reason. To say that ONE reason is the only reason is wrong, this is a very sensitive, and complicated thing. I't could have been metal issues and violent games.
  • robert.goldsmith.14 2013/01/28 20:38:32
  • ~ Jacob Salvatore ~ 2013/01/28 06:33:58
    ~ Jacob Salvatore ~
    I play alot like ALOT of mad bloody/gory games, dead space, resistance retribution, resident evil, blah blah blah. But I haven't gone psycho outside and slit someones throat. This topic annoys me agggh! Now everyone will think that whoeer plays video games is violent! :O
    I m not violent gif
  • cheshirewayne 2013/01/28 04:41:39
    cheshirewayne
    I've seen my youngest son punch a hole through the wall after losing at Grand Theft Auto. For hours afterwards he would be angry and agitated. These game teach that some types of people are not of value to society and you should do what you want to be able to get what you want. The remove the value of human life, in reinforces so many of the ideas we see the left pushing on society today.
  • robert.... cheshir... 2013/01/28 20:42:45
  • Danielle cheshir... 2014/04/27 05:54:09
    Danielle
    No, what you're doing is teaching your child that it's okay to punch holes in the wall by punishing the video game and not your son. Put your kid in a time out and get him anger management classes. Actually be a parent by holding your child accountable.
  • tjohn6763 2013/01/27 11:30:51
    tjohn6763
    +1
    People are nuts without touching one.
  • JustMe 2013/01/26 13:26:27
    JustMe
    +1
    I've played em and watched violent movies and I'm not violent, nor are millions of others
  • Sarah 2013/01/26 01:06:52
    Sarah
    +1
    I find myself to be more competitive in reality.
    Grand Theft Auto 4 is one of my favs and ya don't see meh in the hood runnin' ova ma peeps bra. Just fa kids man, dis game is BOSS,
    -Niko Bellic
  • nathaniel21 2013/01/25 07:22:04
    nathaniel21
    +1
    unless you're a xenophobic sociopath.
  • Danielle nathani... 2014/04/27 06:01:30
    Danielle
    Or a child. Children under the age of 8 or so (can't quite remember the exact age) were found by a study to be influenced by things around them in the way that people are, wrongfully, assuming the shooter was. So, if a kid's over 10, let them play what they will.
  • Fuzzymachineguns 2013/01/25 04:36:07 (edited)
    Fuzzymachineguns
    +2
    people with violent fantasies are going to be attracted to ANY violent media, including video games. not the other way around; video games are not breeding homicidal maniacs. Here's an interesting bit:

violent media video games video games breeding homicidal maniacs interesting
  • kelsieilesha 2013/01/24 20:02:52
    kelsieilesha
    If anything they benefit.
    People who live stressful lives could definitely benefit from 'violent' video games. I know I do. I can let my anger out through a video game... rather than be one of those psycho's that go around and shoot people because they're mentally unstable. The games had nothing to do with it.
  • MadAlaskan 2013/01/21 20:54:12
    MadAlaskan
    The issue isn't as simple as a Yes/No answer, unfortunately. 99% of people (not a real statistic, an observation) are not effected by violence in media to the point of carrying out violence on others. Violence and media is an easy scapegoat for the poor mental health system in this country. I am Schizoaffective Bipolar type, I have a history of anger and depression. In High School I was the "creepy kid". I've watched violent movies (despite my mothers attempts at keeping them from me) since I was six, I've played violent games since I was 12 or so. There are way too many people like me (insane and playing violent games) who DON'T shoot up the schools or hurt other people to assume violence in media is to blame. I honestly don't know where the heat towards violent media is coming from.
  • graham.noble.1232 2013/01/21 19:04:58
    graham.noble.1232
    only if they are easily impressionable, anyone even romotely responsible isn't going to be changed by a work of fiction, that's only goal is to entertain.
  • Lilac graham.... 2013/01/25 23:26:31
    Lilac
    +2
    I think children who are below the age of reasoning and also those with a constant exposure with no other social outlets are surely influenced and may even be altered. I suppose one day there will be studies proving one way or the other.
  • graham.... Lilac 2013/01/26 05:56:17
    graham.noble.1232
    yes, but children of that age usually have to get their parents to buy it for them, in which case they have enablers, by the time most children can afford with their own money video games and make the trip themselfs to buy it, they are not as vulnerable.
  • ellie. 2013/01/21 03:48:40
    ellie.
    They really do, just because you play COD dosen't mean your going to go on a shooting rampage, studies have shown after playing violent games for 15-30 minutes, there is spiked agression.
  • Blake V... ellie. 2013/01/30 22:01:30
    Blake Visentin
    maybe because the CoD community is a bunch of 6-year olds playing an M rated Game
  • Red 2013/01/20 23:00:15
    Red
    No more than a violent movie, or the stuff shown on the news. Violent people are violent people. Maybe they play violent games to stimulate that need, but I don't believe that video games create the problem.
  • bluegreydude4 2013/01/20 04:18:13
    bluegreydude4
    people are violent or not before they play video games. Only those who have violent tendencies to start with and who cannot separate reality from fantasy pose a real threat to public safety. Having said that, I can see the government requiring a psych evaluation before being allowed to buy games above a certain ESRB rating.
  • kim B. 2013/01/19 17:48:25
    kim B.
    unless there is already problems with player state of mind
  • Hey_hou 2013/01/19 14:27:24
    Hey_hou
    If it was so, I would be a psychopathic killer...
  • Party Boy [A7X Bat] 2013/01/19 03:59:39
    Party Boy [A7X Bat]
    Funny this should come up, because in my case and that of many others, violent video games do quite the opposite. When I'm ready to beat someone's face in, I go play Gears of War instead. Brutalizing coded ones and zeros is quite therapeutic, assuming the player is smart enough to tell the difference between video games and reality. Assuming one isn't mentally unbalanced, the more time spent playing video games of any kind equals less time that could be spent committing crimes.
  • Nick Perry 2013/01/18 09:06:14
    Nick Perry
    the only harm they do is desensitize people....they do not cause people to be violent...im a great example...i was very violent in early elementary school...i even slammed a kid's face into monkey bars causing him to lose a few teeth...but now i have an outlet for my aggression....but saying all that....i do believe video games give crazy people ideas of crazy things to do...but so does TV and movies and even books...so if your going to regulate video games for violences so strictly then its time these other medias get it as well
  • brichards719 2013/01/18 05:29:54
    brichards719
    only if you are already mentally ill and are already planning to murder. netherlands and south korea buy more violent video games than the u.s and have hardly any gun murders. and japan has more graphic video games than the u.s and also have hardly any gun murders. the real problem is the number of guns in the u.s
  • brichar... brichar... 2013/01/18 05:53:14
    brichards719
    not to mention im about as anti-gun as you can get and i play grand theft auto.
  • bluegre... brichar... 2013/01/20 04:31:03
    bluegreydude4
    +7
    I hate to break the bad news to you, but the only reason that those two countries that you mentioned prohibit private ownership of firearms. Thankfully we in the U.S. have the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to protect us.....rather it allows us to protect OURSELVES from despotic governments like that.....Hopefully that will include the current administration who is about as anti-American as any foreign government. Remember what Thomas Jefferson said about the role of the citizen in a democratic republic "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
  • arsche 2013/01/16 11:53:32
    arsche
    My answer is No but it doesn't reflect my views. It depends on a mindset and constitution of a person. Some people are like sponges and they absord anything they experience, some stand very firm and immune to any influences. I play different games from time to time and mostly those "hard core". I loved GTA-IV, BF3 is just awesome, same with Stalker, CoD, Assassin's Creed series etc. But i consider myself very aware and in full touch with "my" mind, emotions or reality in general and i'm able to have proper perspective. I've never fought with anybody, I'm peaceful and very calm person, i love animals, kids, i'm very patient and "philosophical". But in the case of some people i'm sure the "reset" button and "pulling the plug" is absolutely essential...
  • Scourge Mathews 2013/01/16 04:26:35
    Scourge Mathews
    only retards who need to stand out get affected by it.
  • QC 2013/01/16 03:08:07
    QC
    Yes.

2014/09/22 23:26:55