Do the clothes you wear project how you would like be treated?

Chris [Ninja]™ 2008/08/11 20:17:09
Yes, Clothing does project how we would like to be treated
No, Clothing doesn't do anything to project anything
I was reading in Men's Health that women are more likely to wear specific clothing depending on their mood. For example, if she wears a red dress she is saying I want to feel special, unlike anyone else. Or revealing clothing may mean that she's interested in being physical. There was a scientific study proving that women, when ovulating, tend to dress more provocatively (At what ever level that might be for that particular woman).

With Stacey and Clinton from TLC's What Not To Wear constant badgering of their pupils to dress more how they'd like to be perceived, I started to think more about it. The question is more around the idea that either we inherently dress how we'd like to be treated or we don't. Is it that we are too lazy, or we really do want to project that image.

Do you think about what you wear? Is there an emotional or ideological connection to the clothing you wear? Is there a disconnect in what you wear as opposed to how you'd like to be treated? I know these are a bunch of questions, but answer below and let me know your thoughts.

• Fef 2008/08/11 20:21:30
    Fef
    +5
    The other day I saw a mom wearing sexy clothing. I thought, hmm.... why would she do that? Maybe she should on a date with her husband, but not dropping the kids off at soccer or camp.

So I wondered if she wants the clothes she wears to imply how she wants other people to perceive her.

Some wear clothes for comfort. But you can get comfortable clothes in any style, color, patter, etc... Like it or not, people will perceive you based on the clothes you wear.

NOTE: this does not mean that others should act rudely, criminally or antagonistically toward people based on their fashion choices.

• sarah lou 2009/10/12 21:21:43
    sarah lou
    but it also depens on your mood to if your happy you will spend ages looking for something nice to wear but if your sad u will put the first thing on
  • rayanne 2009/06/25 03:13:36
    rayanne
  • Hoodoo 2008/11/30 11:43:05 (edited)
    Hoodoo
    I think clothes are your pallate; your personal artform on your body. It's the one time you can express yourself in one glance. Your clothes - and therefore also your hair and your makeup are showing the world your interests and your style... who you are. They show that you craft your *personal* aesthetic, care about yourself, take time on your appearance and care how you present yourself. Sure, the world is going to judge you on that.
  • Janie 2008/08/17 03:37:08
    Janie
    Yes, I think it does. It also shows our mood.
  • Jaana 2008/08/15 17:09:58
    Jaana
    it depends on one's mood.whether i have the time to pick out clothes or just put on whatever i grab first. whatever ;)
  • Amarantha 2008/08/14 21:30:26
    Amarantha
    Other than my mood on any given day. I dress how I feel unless I'm going to work and have to look professional.
  • Eddie 2008/08/13 19:28:38
    Eddie
    +1
    Though I agree with the first part of the paragraph I tend to dress up only when I know I'm going to be around my guy. If it's any other time, I don't care what I'm wearing.
  • angel_of_madness 2008/08/13 01:13:10
    angel_of_madness
    +1
    I only wear what I like and not how people should see me. Allthough I admit I do wear different clothes when I'm at a job interview.
  • T.S 2008/08/12 20:01:23
    T.S
    +1
    it absolutely does..
  • Deleted 2008/08/12 19:49:25
  • Michael 2008/08/12 19:18:01
    Michael
    Clothes don't make the man or woman... if they did the two man men in the office would be doing a better job.
  • mcrfan4lifexox 2008/08/12 18:26:14
    mcrfan4lifexox
    +1
    I wear clothes that i like regardless of my mood or how i want people to see me
  • Don - K.M.R.I.A. 2008/08/12 18:05:05
    Don - K.M.R.I.A.
    +2
    Sight is usually the first sense people use when "noticing" you. As a result, it's usually the cause of a person's first impression.
    What you wear has a huge impact on that first impression.

I think about what I wear, and make conscious decisions on what I buy and when. Do I attempt to convey a message? No. But I am aware that people will make judgements based on my clothes.

In fact, people tend to make the wrong assumptions based on what I wear. I personally find it hilarious.
  • katexplusxlyn59 2008/08/12 17:04:16 (edited)
    katexplusxlyn59
    +1
    This might be a bit of a long answer, so sit tight Chris. I am a fashion guru. I love clothes. I think that people should learn how to dress appropriately for their age and current predicament. I personally dress in clothes that I like. I wear clothes that look classy or jazz based (like pinstripes and fedoras) because that is the sort of music, movie, and fashion type I'm into. I wanted to be treated with respect, so I dress in a way that demands it. Some people say that I overdress on a lot of occasions, but personally, I would rather be overdressed than underdressed. When a person is underdressed, I generally think that they are sloppy. I get treated differently depending on what I'm wearing when there are people I don't know around. When I'm at school, or with my friends, they all know my style, so I can show up in sweatpants and be treated the same as if I was wearing a skirt. Ultimately, I just wear clothes that I like, that I think others will like, that fit me appropriately, and that make me feel good while I'm wearing them. If I'm wearing a good outfit, I generally tend to be in a beter mood. Katelyn
  • Chris [... katexpl... 2008/08/12 18:41:25
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +1
    What I mean by the question is not specifically what you wear but more how well put together you look. Like you said you see people who dress frumpy as kind of sloppy. I think that whether we mean to or not we do project something about ourselves by the way we dress. Whether consciously or not. I also think the reason you feel good in a good outfit is because people treat you differently when they see you are well put together. I dunno...
  • katexpl... Chris [... 2008/08/12 19:01:37
    katexplusxlyn59
    +1
    I definitely have to agree with you Chris. I think that people dress to their personality and mood. I'm not gonna wear a great outfit when I'm feeling down. I'm going to wear sweats. It's just a matter of emotion. Katelyn
  • mitch 2008/08/12 16:49:56
    mitch
    +2
    well think of it this way, fi you wear modest clothing that shows that you want to be treated with respect, rather if you wear slutty clothing your sendign out a message to others saying" HEY! come feel me up!!!"
  • Chris [... mitch 2008/08/12 18:48:55
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +1
    Those are wise words coming from a young lady! I have a funny story to tell you! So my friend Joey is working on his PHD in psychology. He was walking down the street working on his internship in a city he's not usually in. Well, he was making a phone call and all of a sudden this woman in an SUV starts honking her horn and motioning him to come over to the car. He looked over and saw that she was wearing kind of revealing clothing. So he thought to himself, "I don't need this right now." In a sense he thought she was just fooling around or trying to flirt. He even said, "I thought she was a prostitute!". So he walks away and finishes his phone call.

A little bit later he come back around that same spot and see's a bunch of ambulances and fire trucks! Turns out the woman had some weird thing where she couldn't move parts of her body. When she was beckoning my friend Joey, she was trying to get him to help her! I guess somebody finally did stop and help her. It's kind of sad! Afterwards, I was thinking about it. Would I have done the same thing? I thought yeah, I probably would. I'm a married guy and I don't want to flirt with women like that because I know that, in some ways, they have power over me! But as I was thinking even more I realized the more that women dress li...'

''''

A little bit later he come back around that same spot and see's a bunch of ambulances and fire trucks! Turns out the woman had some weird thing where she couldn't move parts of her body. When she was beckoning my friend Joey, she was trying to get him to help her! I guess somebody finally did stop and help her. It's kind of sad! Afterwards, I was thinking about it. Would I have done the same thing? I thought yeah, I probably would. I'm a married guy and I don't want to flirt with women like that because I know that, in some ways, they have power over me! But as I was thinking even more I realized the more that women dress like an object to be taken advantage of, the more people treat them like an object. There's a sort of devaluing of them as a human and they become more like an object!

So my thoughts are, sure it's fun to dress in a way that makes men all gaga for you, but when they do they never really want to know you. They don't REALLY see you as anything more than an object. It's the weakness of men. If you want a man who will really get to know you and cherish you for who you are, then don't throw that in his face! Save it for marriage ;-)
  • katexpl... Chris [... 2008/08/12 19:06:14
    katexplusxlyn59
    +1
    That's a beautiful epiphany dude. Katelyn
  • Chris [... katexpl... 2008/08/12 19:16:16
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +1
    I know right? What can I say ;-)
  • katexpl... Chris [... 2008/08/12 19:22:43 (edited)
  • Chris [... katexpl... 2008/08/12 19:27:37
  • katexpl... Chris [... 2008/08/12 19:29:58
  • mitch Chris [... 2008/08/12 21:01:11
    mitch
    +1
    wow....that is a great story, im glad you shared that with me i hope tha lady was ok....but i guess that we both are trying to espress the same thing, if it was a guy in the car and he honked at me i would have been flattered but i wouldnt want to go over to him, but i guess it wouldn't have been the same if the genders were switched around now would it??
  • destiny 2008/08/12 15:50:49
    destiny
    no
  • AZNangel715 2008/08/12 15:16:53
    AZNangel715
    +1
    I never thought about it but now it does make sense. I wear "emo" clothes because I like the music and self conciously I think it makes others know that I am emo and this is the type of style I'm into.
  • MeanGene 2008/08/12 15:07:49
    MeanGene
    +1
    I work from home mostly, so clothing is actually optional for me.
  • emmy 2008/08/12 14:21:56
    emmy
    +1
    yes... the way a person chooses to dress says a lot about who they are. I mean, how many kind gothics do you know?
  • Lashiya 2008/08/12 11:44:19
    Lashiya
    +1
    i dont think it shows how we want to be treated as much as it shows how we feel.....i know that wen im haveing a bad day (feeling fat or just down) then i tend to wear really baggy clothing and lots of layers, and if im feeling good about myself then i wear more fitted clothing (especially during ovulation)
  • striider 2008/08/12 10:03:19
    striider
    +1
    For all women and some men, it does.
  • Sarah 2008/08/12 06:17:55
    Sarah
    +1
    I do think I dress with my moods. I don't necessarily care a whole lot about clothes though. If I wake up one morning and I feel like crap... it makes me feel a little bit better to wear something nice.
  • Luna Avis 2008/08/12 04:57:36
    Luna Avis
    +1
    i guess sometimes i do but not all the time. Like when i am really pissed then i wear bright red but other then that not really
  • omgitsmollyx 2008/08/12 03:29:44
    omgitsmollyx
    +1
    i just put on what i feel like
  • Jamie (goofygirl) 2008/08/12 02:36:55
    Jamie (goofygirl)
    +1
    Definetly! I think it is obvious, we dress to the mood that we are in. I can say that I am more frisky when I ovulate and I probable do dress in a sexier fashion.
  • runningintriangles 2008/08/12 02:21:55
    runningintriangles
    +1
    Oh, of course it does. As much as I'd like to say it doesn't, everyone judges on appearance.
  • MaggieRae17 2008/08/12 02:12:42
    MaggieRae17
    HELLS YES!

I know when I'm single... I dress less... conservativly.

And when I'm taken I dress... more. XD

But anyhoo...
    When I'm in a sour or thoughtful mood I wear all black. Either way, leave me alone.
    Gray is generally I didn't know what to put on.

So... with all the black I wear on my face and on my body, *like person in photo on question* People tend to leave me alone... yesssss!
    gray generally black wear body person photo people leave yesssss
    This pretty boy is Bill Kaulitz of Tokio Hotel.

And I love his style... But... either way, How do you think he wants to be treated dressing like so all day?
  • Rog [Ninja]™ 2008/08/12 01:53:37
    Rog [Ninja]™
    +1
    clothing is an extension of ourself (at least, here in the US).
    It relays more than the Obvious.
    If the statisics are truely correct, then shouldn't all male dress..... clothing extension ourself relays obvious statisics truely correct male dress
  • MaggieR... Rog [Ni... 2008/08/12 02:14:00
    MaggieRae17
    Love that... XD... so funny... heheh
  • Smoking Gunn 2008/08/12 00:29:39
    Smoking Gunn
    Good question ninja, I like to buy nice clothes, I like to dress nice & present myself in a positive image, so yes i would like to be treated nice... but dont get me wrong , its none of my business how you like to present yourselves, just be cool and treat people the same way you want to be treated.... Be good to each other people and recognize the ones who try to take advantage & disrespect you... Kick them to the curb.
  • ♥♥Kaylen♥♥ 2008/08/11 23:09:23
    ♥♥Kaylen♥♥
    +2
    well for me cuz i wear sk8er clothes and i want to be treated like a sk8er

2014/08/21 06:21:13