Do Stressed Out Men Prefer Heavier Women?

mrosen814 2012/08/10 18:00:00
Do stressed out men prefer heavier women? Apparently so, according to a study reported by Time magazine. The study, published in the journal PLoS ONE, reports that "when men were placed in stressful situations, then asked to rate the attractiveness of women of varying body sizes, they tended to prefer beefier frames, compared with unstressed men whose tastes skewed thinner."

“This suggests that our body size preferences are not innate, but are flexible,” said study co-author Martin Tovée of Newcastle University in the U.K., in an email, noting that they may be influenced by our particular environment and resources.

HEALTHLAND.TIME.COM reports:
Most men prefer leggy and lean women, Gisele Bündchen lookalikes, right? Not necessarily. In fact, the body type that a man finds attractive can change depending on his environment and circumstances, a new study finds: when under stress, for instance, men prefer heavier women.
curvy woman

Read More: http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/09/why-stressed...

• Nilam 2012/08/12 20:45:09
    Nilam
    +1
    i like a little weight, but not fat.....all the time, no matter my mood............

curves
  • bigbatboy23 2012/08/12 20:35:51
    bigbatboy23
    +1
    unknown, never been with a woman in about 30 years.
  • Gwen bigbatb... 2012/08/13 01:57:18
    Gwen
    So you are 50?
  • bigbatb... Gwen 2012/08/13 02:13:30
    bigbatboy23
    i am 54 now.
  • Ozymandias 2012/08/12 20:05:39
    Ozymandias
    +1
    That all depends on the man. I certainly would prefer a heavier woman than one that is underweight. They've got more cushion for the pushin'. ;-)
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/08/12 18:25:46 (edited)
  • JoeKnows 2012/08/12 18:17:23
    JoeKnows
    I must be bipolar, because I like them all ;)
  • topcat128 2012/08/12 17:24:46
    topcat128
    +2
    Most men don't want Lardo or fat women. Some of them make me almost sick to just look at then.
  • Robshock topcat128 2012/08/12 20:36:43
    Robshock
    AMEN!! Nobody "LIKES" FAT or OBESE women. They are just something a guy might ride until he finds something that looks more human. Personally, I could not stand touching one.
  • L K 2012/08/12 17:12:19 (edited)
    L K
    +4
    I think ALL men prefer curvy women to skinny women. Show a photo of Marilyn Monroe and everyone thinks she is beautiful and sexy. Some things are just natural. Women are supposed to have curves. Actual weight is a matter of personal taste. But, most people male or female prefer someone who is not skin and bones. I don't think stress has anything to do with personal preferences. That seems absurd to me. You don't change your taste because life is stressful. I think the key is that most people like healthy bodies. Not overly muscular or overly skinny or heavy.
  • xcheshi... L K 2012/08/13 15:31:48
    xcheshirecat
    +1
    marilyn monroe was thin, just not skinny. People see her as a model for chubby girl, but she was thin... with boobs and ass
    marilyn monroe skinny people model chubby girl boobs ass
  • fitz xcheshi... 2012/08/13 16:56:22
    fitz
    Words from a woman beyond her years. An excellent critique indeed.
  • xcheshi... fitz 2012/08/13 17:11:44
    xcheshirecat
    thank you :)
  • Comment... fitz 2012/08/15 03:24:24
    Commenting_one
    Ick..Dirty old man...
  • fitz Comment... 2012/08/15 13:59:50
    fitz
    +1
    i may have a few years on you but where do you get off calling me dirty? I complimented a woman for recognizing a true classic beauty and I'm a dirty old man? You sound very immature and not very sure of yourself. Your profile doesn't exemplify your true self.
  • Comment... fitz 2012/08/16 07:24:46
    Commenting_one
    I'm sorry, it just struck me that way and was a momentary response. I've just been absorbing so much here and I guess just felt it at the moment.
  • fitz Comment... 2012/08/16 16:14:55
    fitz
    Thank you for responding. I've done the same thing at times but it's always good to say 'I'm sorry' when you realize you may have been overly critical. Have a great day!
  • L K xcheshi... 2012/08/15 02:20:27
    L K
    Curvy, not skinny. She certainly wasn't heavy, but she was shaped like a woman, not a stick figure.
  • xcheshi... L K 2012/08/15 12:57:38
    xcheshirecat
    yeah but chubby and heavy girls have been using her as a way to say they would have been beauty models in her time, which is false
  • L K xcheshi... 2012/08/16 13:28:31 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    Well being over 50 myself and having modeled in my teens and 20's I can tell you what it was like in the 50's and then modeling in the 60''s. First of all models were much shorter. I am 5'4". ( Twiggy was the same/) The average models at my time were between 5'5 and 5'7.( I actually lied on a resume about the inch I was short. ) In the 1950's and 60's models were a size 8. I was tiny and so while I was doing local runway modeling they had to go into the preteen department ( there wasn't a junior dept. until later) or they would pin my clothes back to fit and tape them up if they were too long. I was smaller than the other girls and was not thin. I was about a size 3 or 5 which actually was smaller than today's 5. I know this because I saved some clothes from my modeling days that were given to me and gave a few leather mini skirts to my daughter- in law- who is a size zero and they were too tight on her. Anyhow, sizing was very different, cut larger than it is now and size five/6 was the smallest and too small for models. BUT, runway models were meatier than today's models. Not heavy, you are right. But curvier. Growing up in the 1950's women had small waists and big hips in comparison to today where they are exercising more and have little definition between their ...
    Well being over 50 myself and having modeled in my teens and 20's I can tell you what it was like in the 50's and then modeling in the 60''s. First of all models were much shorter. I am 5'4". ( Twiggy was the same/) The average models at my time were between 5'5 and 5'7.( I actually lied on a resume about the inch I was short. ) In the 1950's and 60's models were a size 8. I was tiny and so while I was doing local runway modeling they had to go into the preteen department ( there wasn't a junior dept. until later) or they would pin my clothes back to fit and tape them up if they were too long. I was smaller than the other girls and was not thin. I was about a size 3 or 5 which actually was smaller than today's 5. I know this because I saved some clothes from my modeling days that were given to me and gave a few leather mini skirts to my daughter- in law- who is a size zero and they were too tight on her. Anyhow, sizing was very different, cut larger than it is now and size five/6 was the smallest and too small for models. BUT, runway models were meatier than today's models. Not heavy, you are right. But curvier. Growing up in the 1950's women had small waists and big hips in comparison to today where they are exercising more and have little definition between their hips and waist. When I was in college 17 magazine came down and used me in their photo shoots for a spread the girls of Miami, but the photographer told me I was too short to model in NYC because the trend was at that time going for taller girls. My weight was 105 and I was 5'4. That was fine....it wouldn't be today, but back then, it was. However, the girls they brought with them were all 5'7 and towered over me in group shots. I decided then that I would switch vocations and majored in education and drama and gave up modeling. Now the girls are weighing what I did but are about 5 ft. 10. A big difference. Models looked normal back then, today in person they look painfully thin. But, you are correct. Heavy was never in. BUT, curvy was indeed in.
  • xcheshi... L K 2012/08/16 13:45:12
    xcheshirecat
    yeah I know all that about fashion. I was talking about the "real life appliucation". I can tell you, when someone on facebook post a photo of her and "love your curves" are coming from obese people hehe
  • L K xcheshi... 2012/08/16 14:01:25 (edited)
    L K
    Well, curves change as we get older too. Women in my age bracket actually look better with an extra ten pounds or so as it fills in our face and any lines that appear. Women who are too thin in middle age look much older. Our society is way too worried about weight. I think healthy is a much better look. But, it isn't easy for many women to stay thin. And it isn't always food. I was thin my entire life until menopause. I am not heavy now, but gained weight just because that is what happens. Your metabolism slows down the older you get. We can't starve ourselves or go nuts about being skinny. It is better to be healthy. You fight off disease better with a little extra weight. Like I said before too heavy or too thin is bad for you. I don't consider the girl in the above photo obese. She could lose 15 pounds or so, but still...she isn't obese.( I am not talking about the girl in the pool.)
  • xcheshi... L K 2012/08/16 14:58:37
    xcheshirecat
    +1
    yeah, I agree. I just find it really bad that there's a social reaction of "proudness of being obsese". First, don't be proud of it, it's not an achievment, it's not difficult to eat. Accept yourself if you want, but don't complain others don't like it ("you" isn't directed to you).

There's an unhealthy social reaction to an unhealthy standard. Anorexia or obesity aren't better than the other one.

And taking a healthy curvy girl like marilyn to promote a fat ass, isn't rationnal hehe

(and girls on my facebook, they are in their 20s. it's just easier to not go to the gym or eat what you really have to eat

The girl in the photo is heavier than marilyn, but not obese
  • Turn the Tide 2012/08/12 15:22:13
    Turn the Tide
    I would say if the heavier set woman is in her 20's, an older man in his 40's would be attracted. However, I think if the woman is obese this study goes out the window.

As far as a man being stressed, I think he may want a woman not so perfect to start a family so in his mind he can concentrate on his work and have less of a chance that his wife will have an affair or constantly get hit on by other men. Some men keep getting their wives pregnant and have many children for this very reason. I don't know how they can afford doing this in today's economy, however.
  • Robshock 2012/08/12 15:12:49
    Robshock
    Men with inferiority complexes that don't think they can get a normal sized woman prefer FAT or OBESE women. There are also those men that prefer FAT or OBESE women because the men figure the FAT or OBESE women have a weak personality and can be easily controlled or manipulated since FAT or OBESE women are usually desperate for any human contact other than that of their own fat folds rubbing against their own body.
  • JCD aka... Robshock 2012/08/12 15:42:14
    JCD aka "biz"
    +3
    Actually, quite a few dominant-type women are heavier.
  • Robshock JCD aka... 2012/08/12 16:04:15
    Robshock
    They are only over compensating for the weak character that made them FAT or OBESE.
  • TKramar Robshock 2012/08/12 23:27:29
    TKramar
    old skinny woman

Hey, enjoy if this is what floats your boat.
  • Robshock TKramar 2012/08/13 00:12:02 (edited)
    Robshock
    +1
    So, what you are saying is that there is nothing between that thing and a woman that you could cut hams off of? Hmmmmm...I don't think so. Try this...

Not Fat
  • TKramar Robshock 2012/08/13 00:35:14
    TKramar
    +1
    No hips. What is she? 12?
  • Robshock TKramar 2012/08/13 01:09:02
    Robshock
    LMAO!! Well, she is a pretty hot 12 year old Cindy Crawford if she is.
  • TKramar Robshock 2012/08/13 01:42:56
    TKramar
    +1
    I'm 42, not interested in kids--or those old enough to BE my kid.
  • Robshock TKramar 2012/08/13 02:08:15
    Robshock
    LUCKY YOU!! She is 4 years older than you are.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en...
  • TKramar Robshock 2012/08/13 02:24:29
    TKramar
    +1
    Bet you she doesn't look like that now...
  • Robshock TKramar 2012/08/13 14:10:08
    Robshock
    That link I provided to you has other links that shows what she looks like now. All you have to do is use Mr. Internet for something other than media for wanking yer Willie and you would not have to bet.
  • TKramar Robshock 2012/08/13 17:39:14
    TKramar
    +1
    The Internet is a waste of time. You cannot rely on information that you cannot personally verify.
  • Robshock TKramar 2012/08/13 19:09:45
    Robshock
    And where does he post that???? On the internet.
  • TKramar Robshock 2012/08/13 21:08:01
    TKramar
    +1
    Sure. What better place for inconsequential comments no one pays attention to anyway?
  • Robshock TKramar 2012/08/14 02:53:02
    Robshock
    Exactly!
  • xcheshi... TKramar 2012/08/13 15:33:12
    xcheshirecat
    you know there'S differents body measurments right?

2014/07/29 08:49:50