Do Stressed Out Men Prefer Heavier Women?

mrosen814 2012/08/10 18:00:00
Do stressed out men prefer heavier women? Apparently so, according to a study reported by Time magazine. The study, published in the journal PLoS ONE, reports that "when men were placed in stressful situations, then asked to rate the attractiveness of women of varying body sizes, they tended to prefer beefier frames, compared with unstressed men whose tastes skewed thinner."

“This suggests that our body size preferences are not innate, but are flexible,” said study co-author Martin Tovée of Newcastle University in the U.K., in an email, noting that they may be influenced by our particular environment and resources.

HEALTHLAND.TIME.COM reports:
Most men prefer leggy and lean women, Gisele Bündchen lookalikes, right? Not necessarily. In fact, the body type that a man finds attractive can change depending on his environment and circumstances, a new study finds: when under stress, for instance, men prefer heavier women.
curvy woman

Read More: http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/09/why-stressed...

• Robert Strobel 2012/08/13 19:34:30
    Robert Strobel
    +1
    I may or may not be stressed I like big girls especially.
  • WolfEyes 2012/08/13 19:31:14 (edited)
    WolfEyes
    +3
    you had a bad day and say Baby Were Gonna Do It All Night Long !!!!!!!!!!!!...... pound her like there's no tomorrow :)
  • CFrank773 WolfEyes 2012/08/13 21:04:35
    CFrank773
    +2
    Pound that sh.....
  • MsDianna 2012/08/13 19:18:56
    MsDianna
    +1
    yes I believe they don't have to stress themselves out and can be themselves and not try to be perfect they can just be themselves and they have more to hold on to as my husband of 36 years says. But heavy women shouldn't try to dress and act like Twiggy! we don't need to see
    bi butts and big boobies hanging out all over the place. This goes for skinny women also. Please don't dress like hookers.
  • WolfEyes MsDianna 2012/08/13 19:32:37
    WolfEyes
    +2
    some women just have some nice cushion for da pushin ^5
  • Mr.Right 2012/08/13 19:02:02
    Mr.Right
    +6
    It's a stupid question. First of all, why isn't there an "I don't know", Undecided or "Depends". I had to state yes because this moronic question requires a yes or no answer. The answer is... it depends on the man. THAT is the ONLY correct answer!
  • Mr.Right Mr.Right 2012/08/13 19:03:43
    Mr.Right
    +2
    Meant to say "I had to state "NO". Again, really stupid question with really stupid and limited choices for answers.
  • Patrick... Mr.Right 2012/08/13 22:22:36
    PatrickJLoveless
    +1
    Mr. Right, you are absolutely right on this one.
  • Ericka 2012/08/13 18:45:33
    Ericka
    +2
    If I was going by watching my ex h after our divorce (which I initiated after he said one too many times he wanted one, then he fought/opposed it later), I would have to say absolutely, and he has had nothing but progressively worse problems since. Then, too, my current bf's choices prior to me were also a bit "meatier" during a highly stressful time in his life (recession-related). What is the actual scientific data to support this though? Interesting article, at least.
  • Vipor_GG 2012/08/13 17:33:06
    Vipor_GG
    +3
    I must be stressed, cause this is SEXY!
  • kepowell 2012/08/13 17:23:44
    kepowell
    +3
    Some men just prefer heavier ladies.. whats the big deal? Maybe stressed out dudes like heavier ladies because they don't look frail and high maintenance like the skinny unhealthy look. I think its awesome because there really is someone for everyone.
  • XRenX kepowell 2012/08/13 18:19:49
    XRenX
    Heavy like the woman in the picture in this question isn't healthy either.
  • WolfEyes XRenX 2012/08/13 19:36:09
    WolfEyes
    I don't think the Blonde in the title here is heavy . She's looks Healthy . I don't see any belly overhanging her jeans .
  • XRenX WolfEyes 2012/08/13 20:51:02
    XRenX
    That's because her jeans are the right size. That only happens to people her size if they are too small. Skinny can be healthy and natural too. *high metabolism*
  • Paul Mc... XRenX 2012/08/13 21:22:32
    Paul Mcgrath
    And, skinny can be unhealthy and unnatural too. Cancer, hyperthyroidism, anorexia, and insulin resistance are just a few conditions that can cause one to be underweight and require immediate corrective therapies.

Many studies show that women with high hip-to-waist ratios (narrow waist/wide hips, hour-glass, and pear shaped) are at a significantly lower risk of all cause premature morbidity and mortality, especially from heart disease. Being slightly plump has also been shown to be more advantages when fighting a dangerous infectious disease.

Public surveys also show that the majority of men are more naturally attracted to women with wide hips and plump butts because (it's speculated) that it's a strong primal indicator of female fertility.
  • XRenX Paul Mc... 2012/08/13 21:40:41
    XRenX
    I know all this. I was just saying *some people have a naturally high metabolism that is healthy for them personally. Anyway, as long as you are within a good BMI range, you should be set.
  • Paul WolfEyes 2012/08/14 05:51:07
    Paul
    +1
    That's cause she's on her back. Gravity is helping her out there.
  • WolfEyes Paul 2012/08/14 20:04:46
    WolfEyes
    good thing she's in the right position for me ^5 ;) !!!!!
  • Diana WolfEyes 2012/08/14 23:40:57
    Diana
    That blonde woman in the picture is definitely overweight. Unfortunately in the Obese States of American, that has become the norm.
  • actionjksn kepowell 2012/08/14 15:11:59
    actionjksn
    +1
    Skinny is not unhealthy, overweight is what is unhealthy. Carrying too much body fat causes diabetes,heart problems and even problems in the joints and back problems from carrying the excess weight. These are not theory's or opinions these are medical facts. And average height woman who is somewhere close to a size 6 is a healthy weight.
  • Rave actionjksn 2012/08/14 17:18:52
    Rave
    Being underweight is just as dangerous, because your bones may break very easily and you'll also develop joint pain. You'll also be at risk for heart, liver or blood problems.
  • actionjksn Rave 2012/08/15 21:20:27
    actionjksn
    I never implied in my post that being underweight was healthy. Unless you're saying a woman who is 5.6 to 5.8 tall and is a size 6 is underweight. In which case EVERY medical doctor in this super fat country would tell you that you are 100% wrong. I can only imagine what European doctors would say about that. On the other hand the number of dangerously underweight women in this country is obviously extremely low. The USA is a very very fat country. It wasn't when I was a kid but it is now. I have dated overweight girls and skinny girls, and I can tell you fat women suffer from mobility problems along with so many other problems that I could fill this page with all of them. Like they get tired easier, they struggle to perform relatively simple tasks that thin women can typically do with ease. If they try to go out and run to loose the weight they can't maintain it because it hurts their joints because the joints were never meant to carry 200+ pounds. Their clothes fit poorly and they even have trouble finding anything decent in regular stores.
  • Rave actionjksn 2012/08/16 05:54:03
    Rave
    +1
    Of course being very overweight comes with a bunch of health problems and other problems, just a being very underweight, but being a little overweight or a little underweight is alright as long as you're healthy otherwise.
  • actionjksn Rave 2012/08/16 14:05:22
    actionjksn
    agreed
  • nightowl 2012/08/13 17:14:45
    nightowl
    No, they don't. I've been stressed out more than a few times in my life and while I don't only like super skinny model types, I've never considered a girl with rolls (like the one pictured) attractive. She'd have to have the face of an angel and even then...
  • dzzshadz 2012/08/13 17:09:04
    dzzshadz
    No I don't think so. Nicer women sure.
  • PJ Sweet Cheeks 2012/08/13 17:06:27
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    I wouldn't think so, but there are a lot of heavy women out there and I bet they are married.
  • XRenX PJ Swe... 2012/08/13 18:21:06
    XRenX
    +2
    In my city, all the fat girls are hooked up with skinny guys and often the guys are cute...the girls, well...
  • PJ Swe... XRenX 2012/08/13 18:30:05 (edited)
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +1
    That is funny you are right skinny guys love big women.....as far as the pic...wow I don't know what to say...please don't get the T-Shirt wet, lol
  • XRenX PJ Swe... 2012/08/13 18:35:56 (edited)
    XRenX
    +2
    HAHA I promise you that is how most women look around here. They dress similarly too. Oh well, I hear muscular men like slim women, so maybe I won't be alone forever =( lol jk
  • PJ Swe... XRenX 2012/08/15 16:11:49
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    sending you good wishes..make a wish and I hope it comes true :)
    sending hope true
  • XRenX PJ Swe... 2012/08/15 17:15:39
    XRenX
    +1
    lol I was joking about the lonely part. I don't even want to date XP, but thanks!
  • cherryphi XRenX 2012/08/13 20:53:25
    cherryphi
    +1
    I have a theory on this...and no I'm not just dissing meaty girls. In our day and age, women are more economically successful than men and often better educated, so (certain)men suddenly become "the prize". Aka... "pretty boys" taking the role that "pretty girls" have held in the past. Some men have become so used to this that being the catch is more important than making a catch themselves.
  • XRenX cherryphi 2012/08/13 21:00:48
    XRenX
    +1
    I heard ugly people try harder in bed. I believe that is why. *not that I'd know I don't do that*
  • cherryphi XRenX 2012/08/13 21:12:57
    cherryphi
    +1
    Yup. This might very well be it. Though I'm willing to bet you'll find many exceptions to this rule. The last thing a man ever wants to admit is that he has low self-esteem;)
  • Daniel ... XRenX 2012/08/13 22:24:23
    Daniel O'Hern
    Yummy I like to lick between the skin folds
  • Mark DeBarbieri 2012/08/13 16:48:06
    Mark DeBarbieri
    +1
    I do not know specifically if stressed out men prefer beefer women, but I know that is what I always preferred. Maybe I have been stressed out all my life without knowing it. Oh well, bring on those hour-glass figures and let me marry one!
  • fitz 2012/08/13 16:42:09
    fitz
    I guess that explains why so many people are overweight. On the serious side, this article was included in 'Plus One'. Do you think that might have something to do with the so-called findings?
  • karrina... fitz 2012/08/13 17:33:42
    karrina.kontney
    You are ian Idiot! PLoS ONE is an interactive open-access journal for the communication of all peer-reviewed scientific and medical research. NOT a PLus Sized magazine
  • fitz karrina... 2012/08/14 14:23:25
    fitz
    +1
    Thanks for the compliment. The article was too ridiculous to do the research. As my young nephew said when I told him about the claim, he said "If that was true, I'd be living with a female Suma wrestler". If that's the type of research this magazine is involved with, I certainly haven't missed much.

2014/09/30 11:50:16