Do parents who speak of sex in hushed tones and treat it like some titillating, tempting secret encourage teen promiscuity?

☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/07/19 02:51:45
Yes, talking about sex as if you were talking about Lord Voldemort encourages teen promiscuity.
Nah, it's someone elses fault.
*Whispers* SHHH.... don't talk about.... S-E-X! :O
Well, my mother explained sex and the human reproductive system to me in the most boring, yet some how frightening and scientific manner she could. AND she laid it ALL on me the VERY first time I asked where babies come from. I was about six.

I gotta tell ya, it's difficult thinking about sex when you're worried about the viscosity of your cervical mucus. ^_^

I know that "The Media" and "Hollywood," even though those things reflect society, don't make things too easy for teenagers. But honestly, it's kind of weak how people blame EVERYTHING us teenagers do on "The Media" and "Hollywood." Who you SHOULD be blaming are YOURSELVES for not being better parents, and for not demanding better from "The Media" and "Hollywood" as consumers.

• Lizzeh 2012/07/19 09:52:59
    Lizzeh
    It's just awkward to talk about and awkward to hear about.
  • Larry 2012/07/19 05:33:19
    Larry
    +1
    nah kids have sex ED in school now, i think they know enough about it anyway its all over TV,, Mag's, and even some schools passed out rain coats, I think
  • ☠ Live ... Larry 2012/07/19 05:35:10
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    lol, I don't trust the TV as far as I can throw it. XD
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/07/19 05:27:36
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    IDK. There's no right or wrong answer here. But I do know that I am very open with my daughters' about sex & feel you have to be.
  • Jacob Torres 2012/07/19 04:54:37
    Yes, talking about sex as if you were talking about Lord Voldemort encourages...
    Jacob Torres
    +1
    The biological drive is there. You can have kids who know the game and the consequences, or you can just pretend nothing's happening.
  • Tink123 2012/07/19 03:33:51
    Tink123
    +2
    LMAO! You've got great humor. Hang onto that... truly. I'd like to shake your Mom's hand.

I will say this though, just as food for thought... Our mistakes are our own, we own them. Teenager, Adult - whatever. Our parents are responsible for their wrongs / mistakes, not ours. And we are responsible for our wrongs / mistakes, not theirs. I wish I has learned that sooner. Do with it what you will. This made me laugh, good stuff.
  • ☠ Live ... Tink123 2012/07/19 03:43:39
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +2
    Well, It's the parents job to guide the child in the right direction. When they fail to do this, it's partially their fault. I'm not saying we should blame EVERYTHING a person does in their lifetime on the parents, but when a MINOR does something wrong, it seems like the parents want to blame everyone- schools, movies, cartoons, video games, ect.- except themselves.
  • Tink123 ☠ Live ... 2012/07/19 03:46:33
    Tink123
    +2
    Couldn't agree more. Just offering a helpful distinction, and only because things can get messy when shelling out accountability. It's in our nature as people. Again, well said.
  • yuddandi siva Subramanyam 2012/07/19 03:27:00
    yuddandi siva Subramanyam
    children must be taught in different manner.
  • ☠ Live ... yuddand... 2012/07/19 03:27:57
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    And what method would you recomend?
  • ParkMan 2012/07/19 03:19:55
    Nah, it's someone elses fault.
    ParkMan
    Nope - it's general culture and peer pressure.

My parents talked about taxes in hushed voices too. It doesn't mean I ran out and started filling out tax forms on the side.
    Nah, it's someone elses fault.
    Just no - Jesus, can we find even more to blame on parents. How about that silly thing called responsibility for ones own actions - I know, couldn't possible be that!
  • ☠ Live ... Jackie ... 2012/07/19 03:20:21 (edited)
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Well, since parents are kind of responsible for minor children....
  • Jackie ... ☠ Live ... 2012/07/19 03:28:24
    Not when they decide to drop their drawers despite being told by everyone of intelligence on the planet that it is a dumb idea. They are doing their own thing and look to blame someone else for their own actions
  • ☠ Live ... Jackie ... 2012/07/19 03:29:33
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Aw, so parents are only responsible for their children when they are well behaved. Gotcha.
  • Jackie ... ☠ Live ... 2012/07/19 03:40:25
    And you are proof, that reading programs should be more prolific in schools.

I never said that or implied that - I am giving you an honest opinion of teens and sex - it is their decision. Are you saying that teens are so stupid that they must have a keeper until they are adults, maybe leg irons??

Later
  • ☠ Live ... Jackie ... 2012/07/19 03:47:38
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    It's SUPPOSED to be that parent's job to prepare their kids/teens to make the right decision.
  • MlssCue... ☠ Live ... 2012/07/19 05:30:11
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    You're right in the fact it is the parents job to prepare them but there are kids who are going to do what they want to do no matter their parents have said & taught them all along. Sadly, that's the reality of it.
  • Jackie ... ☠ Live ... 2012/07/19 12:16:54
    Key word: Prepare - and that is all they can do, they cannot control them

2014/11/29 03:45:05