Do Men Spend Money to Impress Women?

There are about a zillion stereotypes about men spending money to impress women. But now, a new study shows that there's a scientific explanation behind those overpriced dinners. Basically, it all comes down to a sense that there aren't enough women to go around.

Lead author Vladas Griskevicius, an assistant professor of marketing at the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota, and his colleagues found that men saved 42 percent less and borrowed 84 percent more each month if they believed there were more men than women in their area, HealthDay reports. And after looking at photos that included more men than women, men were more likely to pocket an immediate $20 rather than wait for $30 in a month, according to the study.

"What we see in other animals is that when females are scarce, males become more competitive. They compete more for access to mates," Griskevicius said in a university news release, according to HealthDay. "How do humans compete for access to mates? What you find across cultures is that men often do it through money, through status and through products," Griskevicius added.

And here's the most interesting part: The men had no idea that they were spending more money due to an apparent "scarcity" of women. So if you notice a guy shelling out a ton of money, he's probably into you ... and he doesn't even know it! (Or, he's concerned that females are disappearing from the planet.)

• AMo45 2012/01/17 07:16:01
    Yes (duh) of course
    AMo45
    +9
    Unfortunately,foolishly yes,and nothing will kill a man's chance with me quicker.I find it shallow on both parts.The men who feel that they've nothing more to offer or the women whose affections can be purchased.What is possibly impressive about that? Impress me with who you are,what drives you,where your passions lie.What paths you've taken to accomplish the goals you've set for yourself.Be honest,forthright,steady and true to your convictions.Never wavering or compromising on core values.Seek the things in life that simply make you and your loved ones smile..And if a parent having the acute realization that is of utmost importance in your life.

• Rob 2013/01/13 19:14:09
    Rob
    No. I'd never spend money on things I don't need. I don't care if it its not attractive or what. I'm more likely to 'save to impress' rather than spend.
  • bigeasy628 2012/01/18 20:42:43
    Yes (duh) of course
    bigeasy628
    And to have sex

doggie style sex
  • DSSSD94 2012/01/18 19:48:16
    DSSSD94
    Most of us do, but if you really like your partner money shouldn't matter. It's whatever you do that counts, regardless of its price.
  • hari 2012/01/18 19:40:32
    Yes (duh) of course
    hari
    ya - mostly - as every one feels such spending is fine for them and they do talk to their male friends too
  • Knot_Rich 2012/01/18 19:28:44
    Yes (duh) of course
    Knot_Rich
    And of course, the reason is simple and requires a follow up question.
    Are women impressed with men who have money and spend it on them?
  • Joey 2012/01/18 19:25:05
    Yes (duh) of course
    Joey
    I use to be like that more not anymore . I am not even going to back a girl a drink . if trusty she can buy a drink herself.
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/01/18 18:44:38
    Yes (duh) of course
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    A fool and his money are soon parted. That said, I like to spoil the women in my life on occasion.
  • Adam McMahon 2012/01/18 18:20:58
    Yes (duh) of course
    Adam McMahon
    Any woman who you have to spend money on to impress is not really a woman.
    And any man who has to spend money to impress a woman is not really a man.
  • norm 2012/01/18 17:45:37
    Yes (duh) of course
    norm
    What good is money if you don't spend it? If a woman is special, it is effortless to spend it on her. Women spend their money on you as well. Teamwork, my friend, teamwork.
  • Awesomefurby12 2012/01/18 17:28:48
    Yes (duh) of course
    Awesomefurby12
    At least not all men do that :)
  • Wild Dog 2012/01/18 17:05:41
    Wild Dog
    +1
    HA, a fun time eating burgers at a cool place, riding around,and fun are worth a million dollars. I would rather spend my time with a special gal ,and having fun together.
  • DSSSD94 Wild Dog 2012/01/18 19:45:25
    DSSSD94
    +1
    YES. Couldn't agree more.
  • Wild Dog DSSSD94 2012/01/18 20:28:08
    Wild Dog
    +1
    Well ,I know not everyone expects a lot of money ,but they all want to have fun.
  • hasher 2012/01/18 16:55:23
    Yes (duh) of course
    hasher
    but thats not the way to impress me. i would much rather get to know someones personality, and what their life is all about.
  • janet 2012/01/18 16:51:28
    Yes (duh) of course
    janet
    Flowers, weekend vacations, little luxurious gifts are all a part of romance for both men and women.
    Although most women are educated and self-sufficient these days it is wonderful that many men still know how to truly romance their women.
  • C. C. Rider 2012/01/18 15:44:44
    Yes (duh) of course
    C. C. Rider
    Yes, thank god. LOL....Ehh I have learned it is not the money that makes the man, it IS the MAN who makes the money...he does not let it rule him.
  • Osk 2012/01/18 14:35:29
    Yes (duh) of course
    Osk
    +1
    I know I do to show how much I care and love my girlfriend
  • norm Osk 2012/01/18 18:05:43
    norm
    Atta boy. You will do fine.
  • steven 2012/01/18 14:13:29 (edited)
    Yes (duh) of course
    steven
    +4
    Some do, of course. It isn't necessary for the good women, though. Any woman worth her salt knows what matters in a man, although she will never tell HIM that. She will test and try him, she will be vague and mysterious and downright maddening at times to the uninformed male, but she will choose a man who fills her instinctive needs--safety and security. She will want a nice mix of naughty and nice (not jerk-yll and hyde). She wants to chase just as much as he likes to. Money is not the way to her heart, even if she is a sugar-baby. She won't respect for long a man who gives in to her every whim--he isn't secure, stable and safe in her book. He can't be relied upon when the chips are down, but will be an "I dunno, what do you wanna do" kind of man. She can find that on any street in America. She wants better.
  • C. C. R... steven 2012/01/18 15:42:44 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    So, your saying you are broke? LOL

I don't think Steven needs a fired country club employee telling him what to do dear. oh oh ....street corner? looks like that ones rates will be going up to 3 a hit. Overpriced for that used merchandise LOL..
  • steven C. C. R... 2012/01/19 02:31:42
    steven
    +1
    Haha. I'm broke, but not because of a woman. I accept that responsibility myself. And I didn't say street CORNER, just to be clear about that, although it might be a good way for me to make some dough...or I could open a phone sex line (writers have good imagination and can get very descriptive, you know)....but I digress.

Thanks for the laugh.
  • C. C. R... steven 2012/01/19 13:52:47
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    LOL I know it was not you who brought up the street corner. IT was some one else responding to you , who has me blocked. I will never understand the low brow mentality of some one who blocks then goes on and on about ya. LMAO say it directly!!!

As always you are good sport!
  • steven C. C. R... 2012/01/19 23:59:57
    steven
    +1
    Well, thank you. I like your sense of humor. So, what do you think about the phone sex line? (Just kidding...sorta.) ;-)
  • norm steven 2012/01/18 18:02:50
    norm
    +2
    I agree with them below. If you have to work that hard-let her go. You find the right one, there are no games.
  • Olive Oil steven 2012/01/19 00:41:33
    Olive Oil
    +2
    I want a man with a heart and patience. Security and safety are a must.
  • steven Olive Oil 2012/01/19 02:32:49
    steven
    +1
    There you go. Thanks for vindicating me.
  • hellokitty 2012/01/18 13:52:51
    Yes (duh) of course
    hellokitty
    +1
    well they dont do it cause they want to clean out there wallets do they!
  • mrserious 2012/01/18 13:52:38
    mrserious
    +3
    If it takes me spending money to impress a woman. She ain't my kind of woman.
  • Flamingolady 2012/01/18 13:23:37
    Yes (duh) of course
    Flamingolady
    +1
    I have a friend whose boyfriend who expects everyone that is stupid enough to go out with them to drop tons of money, the unintended consequence of trying to impress us all. He seems to be oblivious as to how disgusting it is. We don't go out with them anymore.
  • ScoutLdr 2012/01/18 11:22:57
    Yes (duh) of course
    ScoutLdr
    So, instead of doing this study, the researchers could opened a Dictionary. Then looked the word Stereotype; A popular belief about specific types of individuals. This would saved time and money.
  • greg 2012/01/18 09:33:07
    Yes (duh) of course
    greg
    +2
    Have you ever tried to get a date by telling a women your going to take her to McDonalds.
  • hellokitty greg 2012/01/18 13:57:08
    hellokitty
    +2
    ive been asked on a date to the beach before and thats cheaper then maccas
  • XRenX hellokitty 2012/01/18 21:34:57
    XRenX
    Better ambiance than McDonald's though.
  • steven greg 2012/01/18 14:19:39
    steven
    I have surprised a date with how WELL she liked a visit to McDonald's or similar. If she is into YOU, it won't matter.
  • sally 2012/01/18 08:05:48
  • Tennessee3501 2012/01/18 06:10:17 (edited)
    Yes (duh) of course
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    I was always taught that if a man askes a girl out on a date, he is expected to pay. That is where it all begins. We used to have a Sadie Hawkins Day once a year in school where the girls could ask the boy out and TWIRP Weekend, meaning the woman is requested to pay!

There is the story about a handsome man who brought a beautiful woman to Tiffanys' in New York City and told her to buy anything she wanted. She chose the most expensive necklace in the store and the man wrote a check for the full amount. The sales clerk was embarrassed, beause it was Friday night and tha banks had closed. The man said not to worry about a thing, that they would come by to pick up the necklace on Monday morning as soon the banks had opened and the check had cleared. On Monday morning the phone rang in the couple's hotel room and the conversation went as follows:

Sales Clerk: "Sir, there must be some mistake here. We have called your bank and there is no money in your account. I am so sorry, but we cannot let you come by to pick up the necklace"

Gentleman: "I know all of this, but let me tell you that I have had one hell of a weeekend!"
  • Billy Williams 2012/01/18 05:15:41
    Yes (duh) of course
    Billy Williams
  • Chris 2012/01/18 03:35:59
    Yes (duh) of course
    Chris
    +3
    and visa versa. Why do you think the beauty industry is so huge.
  • steven Chris 2012/01/18 14:22:22
    steven
    Touche'
  • Mike 2012/01/18 03:33:52 (edited)
    Yes (duh) of course
    If they don't no dates - its all part of the romance

2014/09/01 08:22:54