Do Kids Really Need Tablets?

AdriHead 2012/09/11 20:05:50
Before people even knew what a tablet was -- and how it differed from a laptop or smartphone -- some couldn't wait to get their hands on it. Now that it's been around for a few years, it's time for kids to jump on the bandwagon. With their own kid-version of a tablet, of course. The child-friendly Tabeo will set you back about $150 and it'll be available at Toys R Us. Do you think having tablets for kids is a good idea?

LATIMES.COM reports:
Toys R Us said it will begin selling a tablet designed for kids that will feature extensive parental controls, 50 preloaded apps and games and a cheaper price than other tablets.
tablets

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-t...

• Jdogg 2012/09/11 20:55:27
    They don't need it, but it may be good for them
    Jdogg
    +13
    At that age They will get more entertainment from a big box. kids in a box

• Lulu 2012/11/12 05:43:01
    Lulu
    Kids don't NEED a lot of the crap they have -- plastic toy figurines by the bucketfuls, cheap dollar store toys, funky toothbrushes with chararcters on it, etc. We are looking at tablets for our kids because we want them to get in touch with technology (whether we like it or not it is hear to stay), but it will only be used for educational apps -- math, spelling, etc. AND why does everyone think that just because a kid has access to a tablet or computer that they won't ALSO be building forts, going outside, etc. If a parent can't control the amount of time a child is on a tablet, then that is the problem, not the tablet itself. A little bit of everything doesn't hurt anyone. My philosophy is to try to give them an enriched experience to all things in life -- and technology is a part of life too. Just use it wisely and there can't be any harm.
  • Anonymous Loner 2012/09/17 02:23:12 (edited)
    No, absolutely not
    Anonymous Loner
    We rely way too much on technology. I don't think anybody should get a tablet (or phone) until they're in their teens.

If we give them technology earlier they might abuse it and grow up using computers and calculators to help them with homework.

TL;DR: they'll end up like this:

derp
  • Gigglez 2012/09/16 15:07:00
    Gigglez
    if u have the means:)
  • yoana 2012/09/15 18:24:35
    No, absolutely not
    yoana
    +1
    Why does everything to be computerised???
  • nami 2012/09/15 17:33:12
    nami
    +1
    as just a toy,it is enjoyable toy for children.new type toy like this is good.
    but it is more important for children to communicate with others,touch things around them,have doubts and think.
  • Caedus01 Sith Lord of the P... 2012/09/15 15:43:56
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    +1
    Whatever it takes for our kids to catch up with the rest of the world I'm all for but it would be all for naught if the use is not monitored and the only thing it is used for is Games>
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/09/15 15:43:14
    Yes, it's a good idea
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +2
    One designed for kids might be a good idea, like the old school speak and spell speak n spell
  • Airhead C-ZAR™,... 2012/09/15 17:54:52
    Airhead
    +1
    Good call, they have apps like that for children.
  • Ann 2012/09/15 05:42:52
    No, absolutely not
    Ann
    It's just too much. Kids need to be kids, lots of other creative projects.
  • Airhead Ann 2012/09/15 17:55:52
    Airhead
    So you dont agree with educational games?
  • Adam 2012/09/15 00:56:42
    Adam
    +3
    Technology is a tool. In the right circumstances, a tool can be invaluable. What matters is what the kid DOES with it.
  • beckylee 2012/09/14 22:33:44
    No, absolutely not
    beckylee
    +2
    My kids will have outside, and they will like it
  • yoana beckylee 2012/09/15 18:23:05
    yoana
    good thinking....
  • Kathy Infectious 2012/09/14 22:28:53
    No, absolutely not
    Kathy  Infectious
    +1
    what for??
  • devil bitch 2012/09/14 18:09:27
    No, absolutely not
    devil bitch
    y wud u want to get ur kids started with games, and crap early in life? thery got enough time wen they grow up
  • ticlo7 2012/09/14 15:28:02
    No, absolutely not
    ticlo7
    children playdoh
    PlayDoh! And Bedforts! And Mud! And Boxes! and Dressing-up-in-your-parent's-... I still consider that more fun that a tablet.
  • Cricket 2012/09/14 05:26:03
    No, absolutely not
    Cricket
    +3
    I think it's more important for a child to develop imagination and express creativity.
  • Airhead Cricket 2012/09/15 17:56:55 (edited)
    Airhead
    +1
    There's an app for that, in fact there are several.
  • Cricket Airhead 2012/09/15 17:59:56
    Cricket
    cool
  • Kibbles 2012/09/14 04:38:38
    No, absolutely not
    Kibbles
    +1
    Give them a box or a stick, let their imagination be their fun, why the hell would I want them to "download their childhood". That quote comes from Billy Gardell.
  • Dan 2012/09/14 03:41:21
    Dan
    I'm not sure how much it would help, except with finger adaptation. But does it really hurt them in any way? They cannot go online to adult sites, can they? If they could, then it should be a big no!
  • Joseph Mallery 2012/09/14 01:23:54
    No, absolutely not
    Joseph Mallery
    An inexpensive cell phone AT MOST.
  • sexdrugs&tattoos 2012/09/13 21:52:51
    No, absolutely not
    sexdrugs&tattoos
    +1
    I meant to click '' They don't need it but it may be good for them ''
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/09/13 20:51:37
    Yes, it's a good idea
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    The question might as well be asking, do children need books? Well maybe not, if you like to have stupid and uninformed children? Tablets are becoming the new books.

But I get a bit annoyed at the crappy, pathetic children computers, with a tiny little cheap screen, as if children were mere pets, not worthy of "toys" that actually sometimes might get "expensive." Why buy a "toy" computer that is a sad joke, that runs hardly anything of a lasting standard of software, when children, some children anyway, are very capable of using a REAL COMPUTER.

Why not get a small child a real Nexus 7 tablet? It sounds like a fairly good tablet at an entry level price. It's so lightweight, a small child can hold it, and it's no heavier than a fairly thin book? Train the child, that the device is expensive, don't leave it where it can fall or get wet or get lost. Some children are responsible enough to handle a real computer of their own. Help the child by setting it up with good books, good apps, and how to access trusted child-friendly websites.

The Nexus 7 doesn't cost all that much more, than the "toy" tablet featured in this article. And is a far better investment into the child's education, provided the child doesn't drop it, is old enough not to drool all over it, or doesn't leave it...

The Nexus 7 doesn't cost all that much more, than the "toy" tablet featured in this article. And is a far better investment into the child's education, provided the child doesn't drop it, is old enough not to drool all over it, or doesn't leave it to become lost or stolen or out in the rain.

If not a Nexus 7, then why not a real Kindle touch? At least such a tablet does real books okay, even if it lacks the cool color and internet features. At least it has a long time of usage between recharges.
  • kobidobidog 2012/09/13 20:37:16
    No, absolutely not
    kobidobidog
    +2
    Sorry,... I was thinking pharmaceutical tablets when I first saw the question>.>
  • ♣♦Miss ... kobidob... 2012/09/14 01:35:08
    ♣♦Miss Cellophane♥♠
    +2
    As did I, o.o
  • kobidob... ♣♦Miss ... 2012/09/14 02:01:31
    kobidobidog
    Glad I was not the only one.
  • Marianne ☮ 2012/09/13 20:19:23
    No, absolutely not
    Marianne ☮
    +1
    I don't want my kids staring at a screen 24 hours a day...........
  • Bibliophilic 2012/09/13 17:19:18
    Bibliophilic
    They need access to literature- not electronic toys. An adults success can often be gauged by how much access he/she had to books as a child.

Tablets can be great, but not if they're filled with games- that's what video game systems are for.
  • Emma's Dilemma 2012/09/13 14:41:54
    No, absolutely not
    Emma's Dilemma
    +4
    Do adults really need tablets?
  • Cn2012 2012/09/13 14:30:55
    Cn2012
    +1
    They can be useful tools. My son who was speech delayed did great with the apps that are available on my iPad. It just kept his attention so much better and I would sit with him and was so happy to hear him try to repeat sounds and words. I still think parents should be involved though. Their not babysitters.
  • Blonde Rebellion 2012/09/13 13:54:45
    No, absolutely not
    Blonde Rebellion
    +1
    I hate seeing my little cousins attached to their ipads and stuff,they're only 4 and six years old but can't go a day by without playing computer games and stuff..and the fact that they even have a tablet..!
  • aeroshock 2012/09/13 12:39:09
    aeroshock
    +1
    A tablet is a tablet, and when they get older they will adapt without an issue just like a computer, laptop, or phone. The technology will be in their lives regardless. Until then, let them enjoy being a kid away from so much technology.
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/09/13 05:37:24
    No, absolutely not
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    Do I need a computer? Nope, I want one. No kids 'needs' a tablet either. We've got along learning perfectly fine all this time. Our children now, have less than ideal social skills as it is. So, let's make that worse at an earlier age now. No good.
  • Chris 2012/09/13 04:57:15 (edited)
    No, absolutely not
    Chris
    +2
    Let them be kids for a while, they can be screen staring zombies when they grow up.
    computer users
  • Anna 2012/09/13 04:32:21
    No, absolutely not
    Anna
    +1
    My two year old brother is the main user of the nook. I don't have a clue how to work the thing, I'm still stuck in the stone and paper age. I grew up reading actual books, writing on paper or erase boards, and running around outside or going on adventures with stuffed animals. I was a kid who played hard and a lot of things broke, same as they do for most kids. Hence my parents were smart enough to not buy me toys in the$150+ range.
  • YeahISaidIt 2012/09/13 03:21:06
    No, absolutely not
    YeahISaidIt
    They don't need tablets and they don't need cell phones at 8. What they need is to be out playing or something.
  • Dr. Jimmie 2012/09/13 02:47:20
    No, absolutely not
    Dr. Jimmie
    +1
    Definitely not. Children these days are already as overweight as it is. I mean, a good 2/3 of America is overweight or obese. This includes children. Kids are not being influenced enough to be active outside and eat properly. We shouldn't be giving them tablets for 'education'. We should be motivating them to be creative and be active and develop healthy habits. But, for most parents these days, it so much easier to just plop a iPad or DS in your kids' hands and let them entertain themselves. Rather than spend quality time with your children. You are also at the same time, taking out the work in learning. Now all you have to do is touch a button and it's done for you. No real work. But, you see, the problem is, whenever they WILL have to do something manually, they won't know how to do it. How would they know? Everything has been as easy as a push of a button for kids.
  • Praise the Fallen 2012/09/13 01:41:12
    Praise the Fallen
    Need is something you need to survive they don't need a tablet now is it good for them maybe but you know whats also good for them BOOKS
  • Kelly Welly 2012/09/13 00:30:10
    No, absolutely not
    Kelly Welly
    +1
    kids break things way too easy i never had one and i survived

2014/12/20 05:56:42