Do i have to bleach my hair to dye it purple or blue, and black?

XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX 2011/08/03 04:13:10
Related Topics: Hair, Bangs, Brown, Purple
i just want my bangs to be coloured. I have brown hair with a bit of red in it.

• nina 2011/08/07 01:06:43
    nina
    +3
    i want to dye my hair burgundy just underneath..! im told not to bleach it but my hair is dark brown, almost black. I want to know if its possible to dye without looking bad.

• nina 2011/08/07 01:06:43
    nina
    +3
  • XxxThex... nina 2011/08/07 03:18:03
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    if your hair is already dark brown, then if you add like a medium browny red, it should look like burgundy without bleacking it. I don't know why you would bleach it if it was around your shade.
  • Daniell... nina 2012/03/11 04:43:20 (edited)
    Danielle Hollenbach
    +2
    go to sally beauty supply and pick up one box of loreal hicolor red or magenta, whichever color you like best. it will say on the box "for dark hair". get a bottle of 30 or 40 developer and some gloves and a shower cap. go home and read the directions on the box and then mix and apply. let it sit under a shower cap for 30 minutes (no less) and then rinse and shampoo in COOL water. this is very important. this will help the color stay in. then blow dry and VOILA! you have burgundy highlights underneath. good luck.
  • __oo 2011/08/04 03:47:03
    __oo
    +1
    it'll stand out more if you bleach it.
  • ☠megan_massacre☠ 2011/08/03 17:05:45
    ☠megan_massacre☠
    +2
    It wont show up very well if you dont bleach it first.
  • XxxThex... ☠megan_... 2011/08/04 03:02:18
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    +1
    ohs, okee, thankyous:)
  • Alexis 2011/08/03 13:17:28
    Alexis
    +1
    They have dyes for dark hair mine was brown and I died it bright red
    No bleach
  • XxxThex... Alexis 2011/08/04 03:03:01
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    but they say that reds show up better on browns than blues or purples.
  • Alexis XxxThex... 2011/08/04 12:50:02
    Alexis
    +1
    I dyed a fee pieces of my hair purple once, it didn't turn out bad. Depends on how dark your hair is.
  • XxxThex... Alexis 2011/08/04 20:18:10
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    my hair isn't super dark, but it isn't super light either.
  • AK 2011/08/03 06:30:42
    AK
    +1
    Depends on how vibrant you want it...With black, i never bleached first
  • XxxThex... AK 2011/08/04 03:03:27
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    +1
    i want it Bright brightlol
  • AK XxxThex... 2011/08/04 07:13:45
    AK
    +1
    Then by all means, bleach it :)
  • XxxThex... AK 2011/08/04 20:18:26
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    +1
    will do :P
  • Jessica 2011/08/03 05:58:21
    Jessica
    +1
    If you want the color like purple and blue to be vibrant, bleach
    for a darker color you don't have to bleach, but don't dye black it will mess up the hair, I did the darkest brown and it still appears jet black,
    that's just my suggestion.
  • XxxThex... Jessica 2011/08/04 03:03:57
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    alright, i will keep it in mind, thankyou:)
    +1
    Bleach it little princess. other wisw............Yeah and that is not the look you want.
  • XxxThex... jackola... 2011/08/04 03:04:44
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    what look, like without bleaching it i won't like it?
  • Sour Dime 2011/08/03 04:29:48
    Sour Dime
    +1
    Any color lighter then your current color you need to bleach before you dye it to the current color especially non natural colors, black is always darker so you don't have to bleach it first. Keep in mind for non natural colors (blues, purples, greens, oranges, some reds, ect) the brighter you bleach your hair before you dye it the lighter the color will be I once bleached my hair very bleach blond because I wanted it to go purple and because I ended up bleaching it a lot the purple looked more pink

that's the only picture I have left with me and my "purple" hair I did my top layer black and bottom "purple" you can see a tiny bit of the "purple" so obviously if you want a medium purple or blue your going to want a medium blond first you can control how light you bleach your hair by how long you leave in the bleach

let me know if you have any questions I've dyed my hair every color under the sun I actually just redyed my hair half an hour ago I went back to a natural chocolate brown because i need a job lol it's pretty it has these amber under tones anyways on another note I assume your dying your hair purple or blue or black or all three, make sure to use foil so it doesn't spill over even when you re dye it and color dyes like purple and blue need to be redyed ever two ...

hair bleach blond purple ended bleaching purple looked pink

let me know if you have any questions I've dyed my hair every color under the sun I actually just redyed my hair half an hour ago I went back to a natural chocolate brown because i need a job lol it's pretty it has these amber under tones anyways on another note I assume your dying your hair purple or blue or black or all three, make sure to use foil so it doesn't spill over even when you re dye it and color dyes like purple and blue need to be redyed ever two weeks it's difficult to have two colors because its too easy for them to spill into each other last summer i had brown with blue chunks i had my friends step mom do it she did a great job
    spill summer brown blue chunks friends step mom job
    and then when i went to re dye it..it was horrible the brown looked like this brownish green color and the blue looked like this lighter green color that mixed with the brown because i wasn't careful enough
    color blue looked lighter green color mixed brown careful
    I don't think you will have problems with the colors spilling into the black since black is dark but if your doing blue and purple you might have to be careful if you don't want them to bleed into each other although purple and blue wouldn't be too bad depending on the shade you would probably have dark purple chunks
  • XxxThex... Sour Dime 2011/08/04 03:07:26
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    +1
    thanks for all the info:) it was definitely really helpfull. Do you have any suggestions for brands?
  • Sour Dime XxxThex... 2011/08/04 05:11:24
    Sour Dime
    +1
    I forget the brands I used but go ask the people at Sally's Sallon supply store something like that and don't cheap out you get what you pay for.
  • XxxThex... Sour Dime 2011/08/04 20:18:51
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    +1
    alright, thankyous:)
  • Sour Dime XxxThex... 2011/08/04 22:34:21
    Sour Dime
    +1
    Yeah no problem
  • XxxThex... Sour Dime 2011/08/05 02:11:54
  • Green is a color 2011/08/03 04:14:36
    Green is a color
    +1
    Im pretty sure you would have to bleach whatever hair that you wanted to be purple or blue..
  • Green i... Green i... 2011/08/03 04:14:58
    Green is a color
    +1
    but im reallly not sure..lol
  • XxxThex... Green i... 2011/08/03 04:19:52
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    thankyous:p
  • Jim J 2011/08/03 04:14:25
    Jim J
    +1
    No you can get some haircolor at the local drug store that will do the trick
  • XxxThex... Jim J 2011/08/03 04:20:34
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    alright, i'll take a look. Do you recommend any specific brands?
  • Jim J XxxThex... 2011/08/03 04:21:48
    Jim J
    +1
    there is one called "Splat" it is at our local walgreens
  • XxxThex... Jim J 2011/08/04 03:07:57
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    lol, is there a walgreens in canada?
  • Jim J XxxThex... 2011/08/04 04:07:05
    Jim J
    +1
    Also saw it tonite at wal mart.
  • XxxThex... Jim J 2011/08/04 20:19:37
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    i think i'm going to check out some brads at a beauty store, but thanks anyways:)

2014/04/18 08:09:39