Do Father-Daughter Dances Promote Gender Discrimination? (The ACLU Thinks So)

Father-daughter dances and mother-son ballgames are now a thing of the past—at least in the Cranston Public Schools district in Rhode Island. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) targeted these longstanding traditions after a single mother filed a complaint when her daughter was prevented from attending a father-daughter dance in Cranston.

Apparently, the district’s hands are tied because Rhode Island’s gender-discrimination laws do not exempt such events—thought federal laws do. Strangely, the policy change banning these events was apparently made months ago. However, it only began to receive widespread media attention lat week when Sean Gately, a candidate for state Senate, announced that he would reinstate such events if elected.

The ACLU said in a statement:

"The controversy that has suddenly arisen in a political campaign over father-daughter dances in Cranston is old news -- the matter was amicably resolved with school officials over four months ago. And it was resolved for a simple reason: the school district recognized that in the 21st Century, public schools have no business fostering the notion that girls prefer to go to formal dances while boys prefer baseball games. This type of gender stereotyping only perpetuates outdated notions of 'girl' and 'boy' activities and is contrary to federal law.

"[Parent-teacher organizations] remain free to hold family dances and other events, but the time has long since passed for public school resources to encourage stereotyping from the days of Ozzie and Harriet. Not every girl today is interested in growing up to be Cinderella -- not even in Cranston. In fact, one of them might make a great major league baseball player someday.

"We commend the school district for its resolution of the matter, and are sorry to see some people turning it into a political football -- a game that they may think only boys should be interested in."

So SodaHeads, what do you think? Do father-daughter dances promote gender discrimination?

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• jlamasters 2012/09/26 00:46:02
    jlamasters
    But I don't think they should be allowd to say some one can't go if they don't have a dad/ mother.
  • nicesteve 2012/09/26 00:15:18
    nicesteve
    +2
    Usually, fathers have their daughters for only 18 years before they go off to college or
    start a career, and possibly get marred. I.E. those 18 years will ultimately seem like mere
    hours. Let fathers enjoy time with their daughters at every oppertunity while they still can.
  • JET 2012/09/26 00:14:29
    JET
    +2
    I'm less concerned about a father and daughter dancing together then I am the motive and thouight behind the question.
  • JackoClubs 2012/09/26 00:13:46
    JackoClubs
    +1
    Do liberals ever get tired of spinning discord and unnecessary guilt out of thin air? Nope; it's what they do best.
  • KaiCrazyMouth 2012/09/26 00:13:26
    KaiCrazyMouth
    +1
    I've never been to any of these dances as a little girl but I can see why it would be bad to take away. It promotes bonding of fathers and daughters. Generally girls are closer to their mom because they are a girl. I do believe they should make exception like that little girl, she should be able to bring her mom to the dance, so she didn't get left out.
  • Paige 2012/09/26 00:13:23
    Paige
    I am so tired of the government, the ACLU, sticking their freakin noses in our business because it isn't politically correct. Keep the govt. out of my business. If my daughter wants to go to a dance with her Father, it is a special time for both of them. And memories will be with both of them forever.
  • JackoClubs Paige 2012/09/26 00:14:50
    JackoClubs
    The ACLU isn't part of the government.
  • Paige JackoClubs 2012/09/26 23:56:06
    Paige
    I didn't say they were. I know they aren't part of the government. I am not an idiot. If you knew how to read, you would see there is a comma there between government and the ACLU.
  • JackoClubs Paige 2012/09/27 09:02:34
    JackoClubs
    No need to get pissy; I wasn't being insulting.
    How about instead of a comma, you clarify your answer a little more by putting "the government AND the ACLU sticking their noses in"? Now, isn't that better?
  • Paige JackoClubs 2012/09/27 23:44:00
    Paige
    wow, a comma or an AND would still make you comment on how wrong I was.
  • JackoClubs Paige 2012/09/28 09:12:15
    JackoClubs
    You're nuts. Goodbye.
  • cottineyedjoe 2012/09/26 00:10:49
    cottineyedjoe
    The scout is a piece of crap, there is nothing sexist about it.
  • calie 2012/09/25 23:37:23
    calie
    +2
    It would be awkward to dance father and son.... Its cute they should keep that its important every girl needs a father daughter dance
  • Defcon 2012/09/25 23:30:09
    Defcon
    +2
    The ACLU makes a big deal out of something small (again)
  • awesomealli 2012/09/25 23:26:16
    awesomealli
    no. no no no no NO! what is wrong with people?!? girls usually DO like dances more.. but if they dont then they just wont attend. and i really think that a lot of boys like ANY kind of sport. i dont think boys want to go to dances with their mom or dad. it IS really a girl thing. what are they going to do next?, ban gym because some girls dont like to do sports?!! NO because they then will become fat and lazy. its a special bonding time between father and daughter and personaly i love them because its the one time 1 get 2 have alone with my dad because my parents are divorced
  • cuninglingwist 2012/09/25 23:24:15
    cuninglingwist
    +1
    tired of all the political correct B/S from Gov running our lives, let them enjoy dancing together and if a girl has no dad maybe she can share with her friends dads and they all have a nice time, first it was the banning of childrens books that have been around forever, now its dancing with dad, how hidious as a nation we are becoming.
  • cuningl... cuningl... 2012/09/25 23:34:50
    cuninglingwist
    +1
    With our budget problems going over $16 Trillion we should vote to defund the ACLU the millions we give them is total waste.besides they are un american that cater to ilegal criminals.
  • SharonJohnson 2012/09/25 23:17:58
    SharonJohnson
    +1
    Once again we have the left wing absolutely wacked out Aclu telling us again what is right and wrong. I wish these pathetic frauds who call themselves attornery would go straight to hell. They have done more to destroy this nation than any other organization who pretends to be for rights of all BS rights of those who believe what they do. Aclu nuts Aclu nuts Aclu nuts
  • Girlpower911 2012/09/25 23:14:10
    Girlpower911
    I went to daddy daughter dances when I was little and I LOVED them. It doesn't matter that some girls don't like to dance and some boys don't like baseball! It's about spending time with your child NOT what you do. And if they don't like these things then who says you have to spend time there... take your daughter to a baseball game if that's what she wants.
  • kazu 2012/09/25 23:12:49
    kazu
    Why is this a question
  • Flyingbug 2012/09/25 23:12:29
    Flyingbug
    It gives the fathers an event to share with their daughters (or mothers and sons). It's also a teachable moment: a father has a chance to show his daughter how she SHOULD be treated when a young man wants to take her somewhere.

No father in the house? What about a male relative or friend of the family?
  • Bill 2012/09/25 23:07:30 (edited)
    Bill
    You can see by the numbers that only a few people are commie bastards like the ACLU
  • cat 2012/09/25 23:06:21
    cat
    +2
    These dances are a wonderful bonding experience. The ACLU has gone too far on many issues.
  • novelistgirl94 2012/09/25 22:56:21
    novelistgirl94
    +1
    Are the ACLU stupid? Sexist? It's a fun way to spend time with your father/uncle/grandfather. That leaves the mothers and their sons at home alone so they are free to do something!
  • DizziNY novelis... 2012/09/26 11:12:44
    DizziNY
    +1
    They want to break down the family unit. The government and certain organizations have been working on breaking up families for years.
  • novelis... DizziNY 2012/10/02 13:50:16
    novelistgirl94
    That's becoming more apparent. It honestly doesn't surprise me, look at the divorce rates of this country.
  • Natalie Menanno 2012/09/25 22:52:53
    Natalie Menanno
    wtf
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/09/25 22:52:12
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    There is nothing more precious than a Father-Daughter relationship and it's wrong to try and attack that special bond! Would we rather have F/D dances (and such) or deadbeat Dads who go away....? No brainer!

father-daughter relationship wrong attack bond fd dances deadbeat dads brainer
  • DizziNY MlssCue... 2012/09/26 10:52:12
    DizziNY
    +1
    I agree, there is nothing more special than the Father-Daughter relationship. Being the youngest of three kids, the others being boys, I know first hand what it means. The ACLU needs to piss off.
  • MlssCue... DizziNY 2012/09/26 14:28:26
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    My father wasn't in my life, so I always envied this relationship and no one should break it up. Yes, they do!
  • bt sedlock MlssCue... 2012/10/12 21:32:53
    bt sedlock
    Down with the ACLU!!
  • cathy.smith.37819 2012/09/25 22:31:30
    cathy.smith.37819
    +3
    I am sick of people crying over spilled milk. If someone is sponsoring something that you can't go to, then sponsor something yourself and invite others. For us to supposely be the "free" country, we are constantly having our rights removed by ignorant people that have to turn everything political. Please get a life and stop pissing on everyone else's fun.
  • dogfose... cathy.s... 2012/09/25 23:11:00
    dogfosenga@gmail.com
    It's not "someone" sponsoring the event - it's the school, and therefore on the public domain. As soon as you restrict participation of a group from the public domain based on sex, color, creed, that IS discrimination, by its very definition.....

Because it IS a nice thing (father-daughter bonding is special), the discrimination becomes less visible, but not letting girls dance who might not have a dad, not letting moms bond with their sons in an equally meaningful fashion....

It is discrimination that simply is invisible in a way that having a whites only dance would not be...
  • DDD dogfose... 2012/09/25 23:53:32
    DDD
    By this definition, having a favorite color or a favorite song is "discrimination".

Holding basketball games is too, since there is an obvious difference between the lean athletic players on the court and the fat slobs like you and me in the bleachers.

How about the discrimination you are showing by voicing your opinion here on SH, since there are people in the US that don't have a computer and cant speak back.

Or how about all those people who drive on the right side of the road? Isn't that discriminating against those of us who like to drive on the left?

I think you are beginning to convince me.... duhhh.
  • Delete 2012/09/25 22:19:18
  • mike browne 2012/09/25 22:19:13
  • andrew.pullman1 2012/09/25 22:14:42
    andrew.pullman1
    +1
    Im pretty sure any boy at that age wouldnt dance with there mom or dad infront of their friends unless forced and if they would well thats probably a low number
  • Jezebel 2012/09/25 22:09:30
    Jezebel
    It's been a long-standing tradition and fathers and daughters have a special bond.
  • ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥ 2012/09/25 21:50:13
    ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥
    +2
    It shows the bond between a father and his daughter(s)
  • bosshog 2012/09/25 21:49:35
    bosshog
    +1
    (ACLU) and a few others all ways screw things up to bad there isn't a way to get of the ACLU,,, might be able to happen if we had a court system with some balls

2014/10/23 02:07:45