Do Father-Daughter Dances Promote Gender Discrimination? (The ACLU Thinks So)

Father-daughter dances and mother-son ballgames are now a thing of the past—at least in the Cranston Public Schools district in Rhode Island. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) targeted these longstanding traditions after a single mother filed a complaint when her daughter was prevented from attending a father-daughter dance in Cranston.

Apparently, the district’s hands are tied because Rhode Island’s gender-discrimination laws do not exempt such events—thought federal laws do. Strangely, the policy change banning these events was apparently made months ago. However, it only began to receive widespread media attention lat week when Sean Gately, a candidate for state Senate, announced that he would reinstate such events if elected.

The ACLU said in a statement:

"The controversy that has suddenly arisen in a political campaign over father-daughter dances in Cranston is old news -- the matter was amicably resolved with school officials over four months ago. And it was resolved for a simple reason: the school district recognized that in the 21st Century, public schools have no business fostering the notion that girls prefer to go to formal dances while boys prefer baseball games. This type of gender stereotyping only perpetuates outdated notions of 'girl' and 'boy' activities and is contrary to federal law.

"[Parent-teacher organizations] remain free to hold family dances and other events, but the time has long since passed for public school resources to encourage stereotyping from the days of Ozzie and Harriet. Not every girl today is interested in growing up to be Cinderella -- not even in Cranston. In fact, one of them might make a great major league baseball player someday.

"We commend the school district for its resolution of the matter, and are sorry to see some people turning it into a political football -- a game that they may think only boys should be interested in."

So SodaHeads, what do you think? Do father-daughter dances promote gender discrimination?

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• Voicedude 2012/09/26 15:59:33
    Voicedude
    +3
    ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR VULCAN MINDS?!?

As a proud father of two girls and entertainer at hundreds of these events, I'm actually insulted by the question. Not merely asking it, but actually getting behind it. What kind of overly PC pendulum swing if this?!? Whomever even has an argument for the other side should seriously check into some therapy because they have 'personal issues'! And once again, the ACLU has given me reason to question their very existence....
  • Realistic Voicedude 2012/09/26 16:50:36
    Realistic
    +1
    Daughters learn how to have healthy relationships with males from having healthy relationships with their fathers. Father-Daughter dances are beautiful. The ACLU has done alot of good but they have also contributed to the decay of society. Much respect goes out to you for being a proud and nurturing father.
  • TKramar 2012/09/26 15:47:55
    TKramar
    But they are stupid.
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/26 15:45:50
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    given the number of non-reproductive (or "anti-breeder", in their lingo) folks in the ACLU, I guess they don't really have the ability to comprehend the fact that father-daughter dances promote family togetherness and positive male role models for girls - giving them a strong example of what an actual man is supposed to be ...
  • musicman95 2012/09/26 15:09:02
    musicman95
    no its a specsl father/daughter bond!
  • Richard Camp 2012/09/26 13:57:23
    Richard Camp
    +2
    The modern mind, doped by pathetic liberalism, can't distinguish between gender distinction and gender discrimination. Pitiful fools.
  • meneope 2012/09/26 13:55:19
    meneope
    In capitalism quantification of social life is de rigeur. Fathers today have been reduced to mere providers of child support - that amounts to about 15-20% of their wages in the UK for one kid! That's all there's to fatherhood, nothing else. It's something that can be obliged and forced upon someone, something that can be computed numerically. It's like being the Queen - purely symbolic. Actually at least the Queen can abdicate or reject her children's partners as potential spouses, and can potentially veto a bill; fathers on the other hand, in England, have absolutely no rights whatsoever - you are not even notified if your underage child has an abortion! On top of that you are by default a 'predator' (to both women and children). Is it a wonder men are just giving up on having children at all? What's the point?
  • Voicedude meneope 2012/09/26 16:02:16
    Voicedude
    +1
    not a father, I hope?
  • JesusFreak meneope 2012/09/27 21:10:21
    JesusFreak
    what on earth does any of that have to do with this article...
  • meneope JesusFreak 2012/10/01 15:02:00
    meneope
    The reason you don't see it is because you are probably not a man. Men don't have any prerogative any more. A simple thing like a formal dance with your daughter becomes the subject of 'perpetuating patriarchal oppression' or 'freudian incestuous repression' if you are a 'male' - especially if you are a heterosexual male!
  • RageFury 2012/09/26 13:38:39
    RageFury
    Are they f***in stupid?
  • JayLynx 2012/09/26 13:14:33
    JayLynx
    A mother with a weak personality can make your daughter be a fool submissive. Just dancing with dad, no, I don't see this as a reason for gender discrimination. It's crazy!
  • Linda 2012/09/26 13:11:26
    Linda
    +1
    Hell no! this is stupid of the ACLU. In my opinion it is sweet and a bonding time for Fathers and Daughters. If a girl doesn't have a Father then she can ask another adult male family member. And by chance she doesn't have one maybe she can use a friends adult family member. Parent involvment is all this is and there needs to be more of that.
  • Bakool 2012/09/26 12:49:57
    Bakool
    +2
    Girls learn from their father's how to be treated by their husbands. With as few father figures around these days, I say let the fathers and mothers get a special time/day/event to spend with their kids that society sponsors.
  • Duane Freemantle 2012/09/26 12:35:32
    Duane Freemantle
    +1
    The ACLU has become a thing of the past.
  • JessDeCristo 2012/09/26 12:25:47
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    Screw the ACLU , that's nonsense, that's like saying you can't play or do just about anything else parents do with their kids. I have 4 of each, and at one time or another I dance with all of them when they were little, still dance with my daugters now and then at parties, we boogie on doooowwwnnn. Dancing with my boy Emannuel when he was 6 Dancing with my daugther Juanita when she was 7
  • Barb 2012/09/26 12:13:49 (edited)
    Barb
    +1
    While my dad and I never went to a father-daughter dance, I cherish the memories I have of other activities. My dad coached a Babe Ruth league team many years ago when I was a teenager. At that time, the 1960s, girls were not allowed to play baseball with boys, so my sisters and I became the scorekeepers, thus having plenty of time for being together. My dad was the very best. We lost him 30 years ago, and still miss him evey day. I hate thinking somebody like the ACLU would work to obliterate bonding experiences for political correctness.
  • skowcog 2012/09/26 12:06:09
    skowcog
    +1
    Not everything in life is fair. Father/daughter and mother/son things are about family.
    Understanding and teaching how the other gender in your family works which later helps to make understanding your husband or wife easier. Most girls idolize there Dad but if a girl doesn't want to go then so be it. She may prefer to play baseball with her Dad then dance. I did! This sounds like PC police gone mad.
  • DDevlin780 2012/09/26 11:58:40
    DDevlin780
    This is crazy. Just because one young lady does not have a father everyoone must give up a touching, bonding experience. I am tired of the tail wagging the dog attitude of the politically correct proponents.
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2012/09/26 11:54:36
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    of course not!
  • monkeyking908 2012/09/26 11:42:20
    monkeyking908
    +2
    let the fathers and daughters have there dance i would not be caught dead any where near the place ... unless i had i super soaker and a big bucket full of water balloons. "public schools have no business fostering the notion that girls prefer to go to formal dances while boys prefer baseball games. This type of gender stereotyping only perpetuates outdated notions of 'girl' and 'boy' activities and is contrary to federal law." well i have done servays in the past about this and it seems my results always pointed girls like going to dances and boys prefer a sporting event wish those stupid feminists would just shave there armpits and shut up already. i could nit pick at this all day but i think ill stop here need to let other people have fun making fun of it
  • eve.jac... monkeyk... 2012/09/26 11:54:21
    eve.jacques1
    LOL, the fact that a higher proportion of boys/girls want to do x doesn't mean ONLY boys/girls should be allowed to.
  • monkeyk... eve.jac... 2012/09/26 12:01:51
    monkeyking908
    +1
    never said that i just dont like the way it written it makes it sound as if woman have to like sports. the feminists want to make you believe every woman wants to be a CEO or play sports but this is not true yes a good chunk do but not more then half and those who want to just be a house wife are scolded and made to believe they are worthless
  • meneope monkeyk... 2012/09/26 14:07:07
    meneope
    +2
    Allow me to COSIGN this! Feminism is the reason so many people today are confused and clueless.
  • Bibliop... monkeyk... 2012/09/26 21:48:31
    Bibliophilic
    Those aren't feminists, hon. Those are people who want to replace one stereotype with another. Women and men should be allowed to pursue the interests they chose. Think carefully before you use terms that you do not understand. Feminists defend a woman's right to choose traditionally masculine and traditionally feminine activities.
  • monkeyk... Bibliop... 2012/09/27 03:39:46
    monkeyking908
    +1
    i have lisend to enough Feminists speeches to know what there believes are and they want woman supremacy not equality
  • meneope monkeyk... 2012/10/01 16:19:50
    meneope
    Equality is impossible. Man and woman are inherently different. This is an irreconcilable truth that has been empirically proven over and over. But most importantly both sex WANT to be DIFFERENT! Man wants to be the 'attracted sex' and woman wants to be 'the attractive sex'!
  • monkeyk... meneope 2012/10/03 00:55:40
    monkeyking908
    +1
    i dare ya to go to a feminists rally and yell this in to a blow horn. make sure you have a friend with a camera to film it to i want to see it if it dont make the news.
  • meneope Bibliop... 2012/10/01 16:09:39 (edited)
    meneope
    Listen to yourself - "a woman's right to choose traditional masculine activities"! You meant the luxury to choose and to oppress!!! I went to a cafe for lunch today, two turkish girls served me. When I came back on campus I bumped into this carribean lady janitor whose sister work as a live-in nani. Later on I went to collect my clothes from the laundrette and thought to myself they look great for something made by a woman or child in the third world and clean by yet another asian immigrant here - fantastic! I needed to make a call, so went to the phone booth, my eyes caught on the escort girls' adds on the wall - all of them beautiful Eastern Europeans, Russians or Latinas... I thought to myself: this is light years away from veiled Saudi Arabian women whose country's Black Gold is financing the capitalist system in the West so that our women can say "I don't need a man for shelter, protection and food - Capitalism and the State will provide this luxury for me"!!! Indeed the hypocrisy of feminists knows no bound, they wont hesitate a second to replace one woman worker with another, to encourage people to indulge in historical distortions and materialistic luxury at the expense of others who happen to be non-citizens! There's scarce doubt that feminism is nothing but an imperi...
    Listen to yourself - "a woman's right to choose traditional masculine activities"! You meant the luxury to choose and to oppress!!! I went to a cafe for lunch today, two turkish girls served me. When I came back on campus I bumped into this carribean lady janitor whose sister work as a live-in nani. Later on I went to collect my clothes from the laundrette and thought to myself they look great for something made by a woman or child in the third world and clean by yet another asian immigrant here - fantastic! I needed to make a call, so went to the phone booth, my eyes caught on the escort girls' adds on the wall - all of them beautiful Eastern Europeans, Russians or Latinas... I thought to myself: this is light years away from veiled Saudi Arabian women whose country's Black Gold is financing the capitalist system in the West so that our women can say "I don't need a man for shelter, protection and food - Capitalism and the State will provide this luxury for me"!!! Indeed the hypocrisy of feminists knows no bound, they wont hesitate a second to replace one woman worker with another, to encourage people to indulge in historical distortions and materialistic luxury at the expense of others who happen to be non-citizens! There's scarce doubt that feminism is nothing but an imperialistic discourse. The evidences are abundant! The truth is male and female are inherently different and the majority of them don't even want to be the same. Equality is a luxury imperialistic nations allow themselves to enjoy at the expense of others along the production line of the international division of labor. Whenever an economy fails and as a result the government cannot insure any longer adequate provisions of shelter, food and protection to its citizens, genderised division of labour will occur. It's the only way for society to survive - man must do his part and woman hers, it's an inevitable anthropological fact! It's always been that way. We are only able to say otherwise because we are able to extract the labour value from somewhere else using our bargaining power, purchasing parity and military power!
  • cnchess 2012/09/26 11:02:13
    cnchess
    Oh,GAWD! Will these busy-bodies at the ACLU please dry up and blow away? They have long ago become a tool of the radical Left. Anyone who has ever participated in a Father-Daughter dance cannot take this foolish position as anything but idiotic.
  • America... cnchess 2012/09/26 17:03:07
    American☆Atheist
    They follow the laws.
  • eve.jacques1 2012/09/26 10:59:14 (edited)
    eve.jacques1
    +1
    Yes, I hadn't thought about it before but after reading the ACLU's statement, I definitely agree. The writer of the article is making it sound like they're out to destroy the family, but if you read the statement they are *not* forbidding fathers to dance with their daughters, they completely support parent-child bonding events. Just that, parent-child. All we're arguing about is whether those events have to be *gendered*, and I'd say definitely not.
  • Thomas ... eve.jac... 2012/09/26 12:00:35
    Thomas Holiday
    If They had let the "single mom" attend with her daughter nothing would have become of it.I raised four daughters, and they are all individuals in their needs and wants.
  • Thomas ... eve.jac... 2012/09/26 12:09:49
    Thomas Holiday
    I agree Eve. Everyone seems to have overlooked the part where the PTA can still sponsor these events. All that has happened is the School Itself cannot be the sponsor. This is not a loss of individual freedom, If anything, it is a loss of "Collective" Or Government Jusistiction over students extracurricular activities.
  • MarkVaughn 2012/09/26 09:36:32
    MarkVaughn
    First of all, it's just a dance. Something to unite Fathers with thier daughters, as most of the time, most Fathers are working, to provide for the family. Also, since most children are in school most of the day, as well. Thus, Fathers have very little time to spend with thier children, or child. Most ' school dances ' , especially parent and child dances, are mostly for fun, where both the child and parent can relax, be themselves, smile, and lauph . Plus, talk to eachother, which they hardly have time to do, within the normal, work and school week . Also, gives the child, to introduce the parent to the child's school friends , teachers, and other school employees. That also, are hard to take place, at any other time. Both, Mother and Son, and Father and Daughter dances, are in no way, sexist . Also, Mothers work, so these dances are another way, to unite the family, in a relaxed, fun , and enjoyable time . I don't understand, why, this topic is even up for debate. I hope these parent and student dances, carry on, far,far into the future.
  • MarkVaughn MarkVaughn 2012/09/26 10:01:20
    MarkVaughn
    On other topic, I see no reason, why a female can't play baseball, or even football, if that is what they want to do. If a male wants to become a garment maker, sewing, ect., then go for it. Isn't this the country, that says : " Be whatever you want to be . ? "
    " The sky's the limit . " , " Go for it ! " , " The world's your oyster . " (never understood that one. lol ) Since, oysters live in a closed enviroment. lol. Anyways, I'm sure you get my point. That is, wether your a male, or female, it's truly your choice, to do what you want to do, within law, of course. Meaning, without harming yourself, or others, in any means . We are all human, so, let others live, just as you wish to live. No matter if same sex, or opposite sex unions. It does not pertain to you, so, why, even care ? Live, and let live.
  • Charmaine Warren 2012/09/26 09:07:22
    Charmaine Warren
    I'm confused! Uuhhh? What's wrong with a father-daughter dance? I think it's sweet! Nothing sexist about it. Some of us grew up without a father and have missed a huge part of our lives.
  • meneope Charmai... 2012/09/26 14:14:18 (edited)
    meneope
    Believe me if feminists want to find something sexist in the burger I'm eating they definitely will find one!
    As for those growing up without a father, don't worry this is now the norm! Thanks leftists, thanks feminists, we love you so much, you are building a better and more egalitarian society by deconstructing the very fabric of our society! Thank you.
  • Jimmy 2012/09/26 08:28:42
    Jimmy
    Oh natural selection we need you now more than ever.
  • knybee 2012/09/26 07:20:13
    knybee
    The fact that someone would believe so is a greater evil than what they imagine.

2014/11/23 09:57:48