Do Father-Daughter Dances Promote Gender Discrimination? (The ACLU Thinks So)

Father-daughter dances and mother-son ballgames are now a thing of the past—at least in the Cranston Public Schools district in Rhode Island. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) targeted these longstanding traditions after a single mother filed a complaint when her daughter was prevented from attending a father-daughter dance in Cranston.

Apparently, the district’s hands are tied because Rhode Island’s gender-discrimination laws do not exempt such events—thought federal laws do. Strangely, the policy change banning these events was apparently made months ago. However, it only began to receive widespread media attention lat week when Sean Gately, a candidate for state Senate, announced that he would reinstate such events if elected.

The ACLU said in a statement:

"The controversy that has suddenly arisen in a political campaign over father-daughter dances in Cranston is old news -- the matter was amicably resolved with school officials over four months ago. And it was resolved for a simple reason: the school district recognized that in the 21st Century, public schools have no business fostering the notion that girls prefer to go to formal dances while boys prefer baseball games. This type of gender stereotyping only perpetuates outdated notions of 'girl' and 'boy' activities and is contrary to federal law.

"[Parent-teacher organizations] remain free to hold family dances and other events, but the time has long since passed for public school resources to encourage stereotyping from the days of Ozzie and Harriet. Not every girl today is interested in growing up to be Cinderella -- not even in Cranston. In fact, one of them might make a great major league baseball player someday.

"We commend the school district for its resolution of the matter, and are sorry to see some people turning it into a political football -- a game that they may think only boys should be interested in."

So SodaHeads, what do you think? Do father-daughter dances promote gender discrimination?

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• fightingquip 2012/09/26 22:12:46
    fightingquip
    +3
    FAQ the ACLU and the horse they rode in on too. Maybe if they had a few father-daughter dances in their life experiences they wouldn't be such bitter crybabies.
  • BigFig#9 2012/09/26 22:10:53
    BigFig#9
    Yes clearly BUT (Big Chris Christie sized BUT) so what? Gender roles are not going away anytime soon and instead of enforcing intolerance of traditional gender roles we need to teach tolerance (not approval) of non traditional gender roles when those are exhibited too....
  • Ana Hen... BigFig#9 2012/09/30 01:31:34
    Ana Henriques
    we should teach both tolerance and approval.
  • Burberry 2012/09/26 22:00:26
    Burberry
    Father daughter dances are sweet in my opinion. Father dance with their daughter at their wedding receptions, is that a bad thing? I don't think so
  • Bibliophilic 2012/09/26 21:43:27 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Indirectly yes. I also do not understand why this is both a public school sanctioned and funded activity.

Would there be a dance for fathers and sons, mothers and daughters or mothers and sons? Heck no, because slow dancing is typically a romantic activity in most contexts. Only people of the opposite sex can dance together- apparently, therefore this activity is based on a hetero-normative social custom. This feels creepy now doesn't it?

It's not actually a horrific or dangerous idea, but I really wonder why everyone is so afraid to think more about such things. Every idea must come from somewhere- right?

Banning the dance is stupid though- and the girl and her mother should have been allowed to attend. Why exclude a child from a fun activity?
  • Dannyo Bibliop... 2012/09/26 22:08:53
    Dannyo
    +1
    The Father will also dance with his daughter at her wedding. Are they going to ban Father/Daughter dancing at weddings now too?
  • Bibliop... Dannyo 2012/09/27 02:14:57 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    A wedding is not a government sanctioned event because it takes place at a church or a rented building. Also, a wedding is not the same as a public school sponsored event for children.

I mentioned that do not necessarily support the ban, but I do think that it promotes gender discrimination.
  • granny 2012/09/26 21:35:40
    granny
    this is just ridiculous!!!!
  • TheTruth1313 2012/09/26 21:09:42
  • Shadow 2012/09/26 20:57:03
    Shadow
    Really?
  • CandyMonster 2012/09/26 20:56:38
    CandyMonster
    +2
    Dude. What? Because her daughter isn't able to bond with her dad means that the rest of us can't either?
    There's a reason why they're called "Father-daughter dances". She can go start her own "Mother-daughter dance" club instead of wreaking a wonderful thing.
  • Dragontoasted 2012/09/26 20:26:47
    Dragontoasted
    +2
    A girl with a single mother cannot participate in a father-daughter dance if the father isn't able to take her, so the mother wants to ruin the event instead of finding some other activity to do with her daughter that day? They could dress up, turn on the radio, and have their own dance! But, no, let's spoil the fun for everyone else...
  • Kibbles 2012/09/26 20:01:30
    Kibbles
    +2
    No it's a ridiculous idea. Its just a little tradition and nothing more hell why are people so sensitive about this.
  • Jessie M 2012/09/26 19:09:37
    Jessie M
    +4
    I loved it when I was that age
  • Stacie 2012/09/26 19:04:22
    Stacie
    +6
    This politically correct crap is really getting out of hand.......
  • ReconMarine~PWCM*AVA*BTTB*JLA* 2012/09/26 18:43:02
  • FairLady 2012/09/26 18:17:07
    FairLady
    +8
    Are you kidding me? This is a total absurd!! I could not calm down after I heard it on Fox.

I hope it doesn't mean that the gays and lesbians are going to dictate the rest of the population THEIR life style and their rules?!?
    How very disgusting to even raise the question about the gender discrimination!!.

This is totally nuts and infuriated me. The state officials who cancelled the even due to the dancing must have their heads examined. They are incurably sick!
  • ReconMa... FairLady 2012/09/26 18:51:17
  • JDH 2012/09/26 17:58:16
    JDH
    +5
    Only in a queer nation would such an absurd question even be asked. God help us all.
  • ReconMa... JDH 2012/09/26 18:52:19
  • Michelle 2012/09/26 17:55:02
    Michelle
    +2
    I am baffled that so far 115 votes for "yes"... We are on the verge of losing our identities entirely, there is pride in being who you are -- man or woman! There is a special bond between a father and his daughter and nothing can replace it. It is terrible that there are some people who are unable to have that (like me in the case of my absent biological father) but I would never prevent someone else from enjoying a special father-daughter date. Watch "Courageous" and see how one character treats his daughter like a precious gift--as he should.
  • ReconMa... Michelle 2012/09/26 18:54:20
  • Lanikai ReconMa... 2012/09/26 19:06:43
    +4
    With the ultimate goal of eliminating our traditions altogether.
  • Purple ... Michelle 2012/09/26 20:19:33
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Exactly!! A girl's self image is strengthened by her relationship with her father. She will build upon it when she goes out and starts looking for boyfriends and decides what is an acceptable way to be treated by men.
  • smitty 2012/09/26 17:51:07
    smitty
    +4
    Idiots.
  • Tiffiny Sumbry 2012/09/26 17:35:07
    Tiffiny Sumbry
    +4
    Really? It's something that's family oriented, it's like getting married, It's a custom and it has nothing to do with discrimination besides loving one another.
  • ReconMa... Tiffiny... 2012/09/26 18:54:58
  • Bobby Rhinehardt 2012/09/26 17:21:46
    Bobby Rhinehardt
    +2
    If the daughter doesnt have a dad, she takes her mom! Simple! Stupid ACLU!
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2012/09/26 17:20:36
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +2
    What the hell is a father daughter dance? Im just voting no, b/c everyone else has.
  • BUCCANE... ivegotl... 2012/09/26 18:36:14
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Good, shows you have a brain and sense!
  • ReconMa... ivegotl... 2012/09/26 18:55:46
  • American☆Atheist 2012/09/26 17:01:09
    American☆Atheist
    +4
    It is not in bad taste at all, but it is wrong. I am surprised that the cons are not saying "public schools hate women".
  • Realistic 2012/09/26 16:46:06
    Realistic
    +2
    Discrimination against who? This concept is as ridiculous as the guy who wanted to serve food at Hooters. It takes a man and a woman to conceive a child. It is all about mothers and fathers. If a parent is single, that parent should make sure that the child gets the experience to have the opposite gender take part in their lives. Children need interaction of both men and women. If there is a Father-Daughter dance and the daughter does not have a father in her life she has the option of opting out. This is reverse discrimination against fathers and daughters who want to attend these dance Father-Daughter dances.
  • JAKACE Realistic 2012/09/27 02:34:12
    JAKACE
    and the thing is, the aclu did their whole banning crap, and the girl STILL doesnt get to go to the dance
  • Realistic JAKACE 2012/09/27 03:13:25
    Realistic
    Exactly, there is no logic to ACLU's actions in this case.
  • Jess 2012/09/26 16:40:36
    Jess
    +3
    These dances have been around for years. The kids without fathers always went with an uncle or a cousin. Cranston, RI is an attention whore city and this isn't the first time they've made national news.
  • Laura Jess 2012/09/26 17:42:16
    Laura
    It should be okay for kids to go with either mom or dad to any function, regardless of the sex. It is important for a child to bond with BOTH parents if possible. t
  • smitty Laura 2012/09/26 17:49:30
    smitty
    +1
    Easy teaching moment for parents too.

I have always went to father daughter dances.
  • ticlo7 2012/09/26 16:31:41
    ticlo7
    +2
    I thought it was about being happy and spending time with your daughter/father. What's wrong with that?
  • Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/26 16:10:53
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Pardon me while I tell the ACLU to FOAD. I don't usually type such on a message board, but I have flat out had it with this disgusting, destructive path this Anti Christ Lawyers Union has been on and wants to drag the entire country with them.

Both my older daughters attended a Father/Daughter dance with their Daddy when they were tiny Girl Scouts. It was precious and it made them feel very special. How dare the ACLU!! How dare they attack such a sweet tradition.

2014/12/22 10:42:58