Do Employers Hold Your Past Mistakes Against You When You Want A Job?

ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2011/06/20 12:37:17
Related Topics: Fair, Job

SLIDESHOW: Runnin' Down A Dream

1 of 2

Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream

1. Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream

Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream

2. Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream

Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream

They just don't seem to want to give people a fair chance. All they care about is money and keeping people down.

people fair chance

By past mistakes I mean misdemeanors (DWI's, Marijuana possession, etc).

• wandering mystery aka Relch... 2011/06/20 12:47:14
    wandering mystery aka Relcho of Anid
    +7
    When I got the job I have now. I had left like three jobs before that. All for valid reasons. However, because I had stayed only short times at these jobs I was put on a long probation period. That and most former employers tend to bad mouth people and do what is called "black Balling"

• michael 2011/07/10 19:09:50
    michael
    +1
    all the time
  • Avenged7 2011/07/05 18:00:55
    Avenged7
    +2
    Yeah it has happened to me.
  • Shawna 2011/06/29 22:11:19
    Shawna
    +2
    When this happens its unfortionate....people deserve a break at times..not enough chances in life and life is too short
  • KATLYN 2011/06/28 01:32:02
    KATLYN
    +1
    yes so keep your nose clean
  • Thea 2011/06/25 07:51:37
    Thea
    +1
    That is why I am breaking my neck to be self employed and self sufficient like my dad. I don't care where you work, what you make or what degrees you hold, you are little more than a SHARECROPPER when your income is at the mercy of a corporation.
  • Nonstoppolitics 2011/06/24 05:48:29
    Nonstoppolitics
    +2
    It's obscene the amount of stuff that can be requested on an employment application. Not that long ago the question was "Have you been arrested in the past 7 years?" then separate questions for misdemeanors and felonies. Now it's have you EVER been arrested or plead guilty to a misdemeanor or a felony. So if you apply for a job with a thirty year old misdemeanor there's still a mark against you. A lot of job applications are done online and passed through a filter before they are reviewed by an actual person so someone with an arrest without a conviction or a thirty year old misdemeanor or a thirty year old felony with no other offenses is going to be kicked out of the system without even getting the chance to explain themselves. Considering a decent portion of the population has misdemeanors from DUIs or drug possession this is quite a large problem.

I understand employers don't want to hire criminals, but some people screwed up when they were young and stupid, they paid their debt, and they would honestly work just as hard if not harder than anyone else if given the chance. It's overkill to subject people to this level of scrutiny. Holding minor offenses against job applicants for life because it's the digital age is pure discrimination.
  • Nonstop... Nonstop... 2011/06/24 05:57:28
    Nonstoppolitics
    +1
    I have a DUI that is ten years old. It's in hickville Mississippi where DUIs can't be expunged and I have had to put it down on almost every job application I have filled out. I haven't had a single other incident with the law aside from a speeding ticket and it's virtually impossible to get called in for job interviews, which I'm very good at, because I can't get past the initial screening process. It's frustrating. I do see both sides of the issue, but in this economy it's one strike and you're out and that's not fair.
  • RicardoCabeza 2011/06/23 13:30:04
    RicardoCabeza
    +3
    The sad thing is that they look at arrests more than the convictions.
  • Tara Ca... Ricardo... 2011/11/07 16:05:48
  • Ricardo... Tara Ca... 2011/11/09 02:53:01
    RicardoCabeza
    This would be a nice way to justify the issue in your own mind, but we live in a society where people get arrested when they are the victim of home invasion and the victim shoots the perpetrator, or when they get in an altercation trying to defend themselves, just as many people are mistakenly arrested for things they have not done, and if you allow the circumstance for the "rehabilitated" felon, petty criminal, or falsely accused to have no capacity to obtain employment or livelihood then there will be real problems as the disenfranchised rarely kick off without creating more problems than just stealing food and hubcaps... You are in Idaho right?, ignorance will burn down the trailer park.
  • myfoxmystere 2011/06/22 23:45:02
    myfoxmystere
    +1
    I wouldn't want to hire someone who is irresponsible either. The guy from "Jackass" who crashed and burned is a prime example of the consequences of stupid behavior.
  • Jose 2011/06/22 21:56:58
  • Pinball Wizard 2011/06/22 10:38:09
    Pinball Wizard
    +2
    But, I don't feel sorry for Felons.
  • william Pinball... 2011/06/22 19:38:06
    william
    a felon might save your life one day.then what ?
  • gidianedwards97 2011/06/22 06:39:34
    gidianedwards97
    +1
    not once your get in their system and do remarkable work.
  • jams 2011/06/22 01:34:57
    jams
    +1
    Your prospective employer has almost no means other than your words to differentiate between these "past"acts as character or anamolies or growing pains.

So, in a buyer's market - why bother.

Nothing personal. Just answering honestly.
  • Chris 2011/06/21 20:18:15
    Chris
    +2
    It depends on what sort of job you are applying for and you...
  • cowboy 2011/06/21 20:04:14
    cowboy
    +3
    IF you think outside the box and upset someone over you yes they will hold it cus their petty petty people
  • kelsie 2011/06/21 19:48:21
    kelsie
    +3
    And they could do that also.so they wont get fierd from the job
  • Tom 2011/06/21 13:20:06
    Tom
    +4
    Yes, very much so. Ain't saying it's right, but that's the name of the game. Good luck bro'
  • Bartholomew 2011/06/21 08:57:21
    Bartholomew
    +4
    they seem to.
  • tornado 2011/06/21 08:40:22
    tornado
    +4
    My last employer didn't care that I had a college degree, a clean background check, and an exemplarary work record. All she cared about was my religious and political preferences. That was enough to give herself permission to cyberstalk me and try to dig up dirt. It's a shame that the whole company fell into her hole when she spread a bunch of lies.
  • jsnsprincess 2011/06/21 07:44:51
    jsnsprincess
    +6
    when you are convicted of a crime, you are sentenced and do your time. The way the system is "supposed" to work is your punishment (jail/prison time) is supposed to rehabilitate criminals to become productive members of society. I think it's complete BS. I think educational/training institutions should be required to provide perspective students with FULL disclosure when they are enrolling in school/trade programs in regards to if you have a felony on your record you will NEVER be able to work in these professions. It's appalling to me that someone that has done the time for the crime(s) they commited and try to educate themselves so they don't return to criminal lifestyle only to be discrimintated against due to past mistakes.Is it any wonder there are so many repeat offenders? Who can blame a person for jumping through all the proper hoops and try to better their lives, educate themselves to earn a living legally only to realize it was nothing more than a waste of time, effort and money because no matter what they won't get the jobs that they worked so hard towards. Can society really blame a person resorting to what they know to survive because the system is set up in such a manner that regardless of the effort and willingness to succeed there is no possible way to accomplish that if you have a felony (and even now a misdemeanor) on your record.
  • cyclone 2011/06/21 05:53:22
    cyclone
    +2
    I think so, they'll say it's policy , or a liability issue, same old crap,.
  • California Jones 2011/06/21 05:28:27
    California Jones
    +3
    True enough. Then they find out you're SMARTER than they are, and it's adios amigo!
  • The River Rat 2011/06/21 03:53:28
    The River Rat
    +1
    When someone wants to hire an employee, they want someone with good judgement, the dedication to perform the job and someone who will represent them well. When they see a pattern of bad judgement and stupid mistakes, most aren't willing to take the chance that a leopard can change its spots. Who can blame them?
  • Nonstop... The Riv... 2011/06/24 06:05:56 (edited)
    Nonstoppolitics
    But what if it's not a pattern? What if it's a one time offense from a very long time ago? Application filters can be set to kick out applicants with any offenses without taking into account the dates and circumstances. Not all offenders are leopards, some were arrested only to be found innocent. Some made one mistake in their youth, learned their lesson and would be model employees if given a chance. When a computer is reading everything there's no grey area. If that box is checked then you're found guilty even if you're innocent. That's the most extreme argument against employers holding past mistakes against applicants, but after a certain amount of time certain offenses shouldn't able to be held against an applicant especially in the initial stages of the process.
  • The Riv... Nonstop... 2011/06/24 06:34:19
    The River Rat
    Most applications ask, have you ever been convicted of a felony. Nothing about arrests. If convicted under a youthful offender status, that conviction does not show up on any record. If you are considered to be rehabilitated, most times you can get your record of a minor crime expunged. People are resopnsible of their actions. In many cases that does come back to haunt them later in life. Who every said life was fair. Some one that is willing to work hard and do a good job for someone can usually land on their feet.
  • Nonstop... The Riv... 2011/06/24 07:14:20
    Nonstoppolitics
    I have applied for quite a few jobs recently and every one asks have you EVER been convicted of a misdemeanor OR felony. I have an 11 year old DUI from when I was 19. Some states, like the one I lived in, do not allow expungement. I agree that life isn't fair, but people got blindsided a little bit by the digital age. I think there needs to be some breathing room for that in the application process such as have you been convicted of a misdemeanor in the past 7 or 10 years and then a separate question for have you EVER been convicted of a felony because if the law makes a distinction between misdemeanors and felonies then why do employment applications lump them together? A lot of these applications are filtered through computers and one mark can kick you out of the system. I can see both sides of the issue, but I think there are some grey areas.
  • clasact 2011/06/21 03:10:06
    clasact
    +1
    alot depens on the job but if you got busted for robbery I dont think your boss is going to let you handel the money
  • just me 2011/06/21 03:05:11 (edited)
    just me
    +3
    With high unemployment and so many job applicants, they can pick and choose.
  • Kelly 2011/06/21 01:12:32
    Kelly
    +3
    Specially depending on the mistake you made, I think they hold that against anyone, Me personally I haven't had that problem, but I do believe they use that.
  • Icnbaw 2011/06/21 00:02:47
    Icnbaw
    +2
    It is called job history and always taken in to consideration for future jobs.
  • Euphrosyne 2011/06/21 00:01:07
    Euphrosyne
    +5
    Its happened to a friend of mine many times. He had all the skills required for the job and he even had a pretty good education, but they wouldn't accept him just because he had been driving drunk two times as a teenager and used to do weed. He hasn't done any of that stuff and has been clean for 10 years! He's changed a lot and it really pisses me off when someone gets turn downed just because of stupid mistakes they've done in the past.
  • Alejandro Llorente 2011/06/20 23:37:46
    Alejandro Llorente
    +1
    Well it depends, I don't believe it's fair to deny a job to someone who made mistakes in the past, I certainly don't give a job to someone who has made a very very bad mistake, for example: I remember once, I interviewed a woman, 55 years old, business administrator, she had a very good place in a Bank, with access to certain information that customers usually don't know, she knew the bank was going to bankruptcy, and she didn't even quited the job, she instead decided to stay and keep the whole bankruptcy game to herself and her fellow bosses, was she going to take the administration of my company like that????, no way!!!
    +2
    I don't know yet.
  • jsnspri... Andrew 2011/06/21 07:46:40
    jsnsprincess
    +1
    do you have any convictions on your record (felony or misdemeanor that aren't traffic related?) if you don't, then you have no clue how difficult it is to find employment.
  • Andrew jsnspri... 2011/06/21 22:45:35
    no
  • Veritas 2011/06/20 22:38:32
    Veritas
    +3
    Nice song choice by the way!

Even credit checks can be detrimental. Which kills me since the unemployment rate in my state is so HIGH. Every time my husband gets paid it's juggling act . . . so if they find that you haven't paid a bill because you've been unemployed for months, you won't get hired?

Here's my song for it!

• Paradox25 2011/06/20 22:24:04
    Paradox25
    +3
    Yes, and it sucks because we all should have the right to make a living without becoming criminals again. Unfortunately you probably have a better chance of getting a job being convicted of a very serious offense/felony when compared to a minor offense. It is their companies so not much can be done. This is also an employers market which means employees are competing for jobs rather than employers competing for employees. I'll admit it has become much tougher to get a job today then it was 20 years ago since employers now check EVERYTHING.

The best way to combat this is to try to get some type of secondary education, this will make you more hireable and even allow you the possible option to be your own employer if you have taken up a trade. It is what it is and it sucks.

2014/08/01 01:55:07