Do Chores Make Men Happier?

According to researchers from Cambridge University, husbands who do chores in the home are happier than those who do not. Sociologists used data from the European Social Survey, which compares values, attitudes, and behaviors across Europe. They compared responses from men and women regarding happiness and well-being, “work-life conflict,” and the amount of time spent on tasks like cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, etc.

The researchers expected to see women’s happiness levels rise when men shouldered more of the burden. Interestingly, it was the men who were happier, while their wives and girlfriends remained largely unmoved. According to the research, men who do more housework feel less guilt and experience less work-life conflict. In part, men are becoming more supportive of gender equality but women are also becoming more vocal.

“As a more equitable philosophy becomes the ideal, if you are experiencing something which doesn’t live up to that you are more ready to express dissatisfaction – and certainly that is what is perceived by men,” said Jacqueline Scott, professor of empirical sociology at Cambridge.

On the one hand, women are frustrated when men don't do their fair share of the housework and are expressing those feelings. However, many also want to make sure that the job is done right. Another study recently revealed that women in the UK spend three hours a week redoing chores they believe their partner hasn't done properly. No wonder women's happiness levels aren't rising as men take on more of the housework!

So, what do you think SodaHeads? Do chores make men happier?

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/9356714/Secret-o...

• Soot Th... S.H 2012/07/02 17:22:53
    Soot The Fallen
    Tunage makes everything better.
  • FELINE ... S.H 2012/07/03 10:48:21
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Even with ironing ? That is the worst house work .
  • Nukem 2012/07/02 05:02:26 (edited)
    Nukem
  • Defcon 2012/07/02 04:46:43 (edited)
    Defcon
    Doing chores after burning your brain at work, and waking up at 5AM, needing sleep is not a good way to spend a evening
  • Eyes Se... Defcon 2012/07/02 07:48:36
    Eyes See Wide North
    You have to depend on somebody to take care of you then?

Sounds like he-b*tch.
  • Defcon Eyes Se... 2012/07/02 14:54:52
    Defcon
    +1
    My job is very physical and the only chores I do are the nessary ones: dishes laundry and thrash
  • Eyes Se... Defcon 2012/07/03 13:46:16
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    Thats fair, when you get time off I recommend taking the time (not all your time ha) to do a make-over, spring clean up whatever, ha just make your whole house suited to your needs,
    I hate how so much people live in clutter, onlky making it hard for themselves.
  • FELINE ... Eyes Se... 2012/07/03 10:50:38
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    If you let someone else do your work in the house , that makes me a bitch ?
  • Eyes Se... FELINE ... 2012/07/03 13:44:00
    Eyes See Wide North
    Yep, to hard for you to understand?
    You need that person (or someone) to stay in your house, so whatever way you see it your gonna have to look after or work to keep them there, having a b*tch doesnt stop you from being one.
  • FELINE ... Eyes Se... 2012/07/03 13:47:28
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    I wanted to be sure what I understood .
    Then , I want to be a real , grand bitch & do no house work at all . That would be perfect As long as I do no chores , I don't care ( never cared ) what people
    call me .
  • Eyes Se... FELINE ... 2012/07/05 06:44:22
    Eyes See Wide North
    I want that too, but from time to time (quite often sometimes) I just rather do it myself, mostly because I can do it better than most around me.
    Never cared what people called me either, but theres a difference between being called something, and being something.
  • FELINE ... Eyes Se... 2012/07/05 06:54:20
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    I don't believe I become something when I am called by that something .
  • Eyes Se... FELINE ... 2012/07/05 07:13:53
    Eyes See Wide North
    I just made it very clear, that calling someone something, or labeling them, does not make them that, still if a man kills, he is a killer, or is that to hard for you to understand?
    Had it to explain it twice, and it really is something ya should know as part of being grown up.
  • FELINE ... Eyes Se... 2012/07/05 07:31:10
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Maybe I am not as clever as you are . Or the child inside me refused to grow .
  • Eyes Se... FELINE ... 2012/07/05 16:34:33
    Eyes See Wide North
    I dont like to think of anyone as less than me, or incapable of achieving what I have and will continue to achieve.
    That child is still inside me, I still have my judgements, I have just learned to acknowledge it within myself, and control it.
  • ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡ 2012/07/02 04:29:00
    ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡
    +1
    THEY SHOULD!!!!
  • Defcon ♡Short ... 2012/07/02 04:49:55
    Defcon
    That is for a different topic, this is about chores making makes happy, not about males if they should do chores
  • ♡Short ... Defcon 2012/07/02 05:06:16
    ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡
    No, they SHOULD be happy when they do chores. Cuz THEN theyl WANT to do more!!! :)))
  • Eyes Se... ♡Short ... 2012/07/02 07:50:20
    Eyes See Wide North
    True, boys who think they are men somehow think they are above it, when they are forced to work (which is usually the case) they whinge and procrastinate til the small job becomes something the boy has made a career out of.

Boys like this make careers out of bringing out the rubbish.
  • RJS 2012/07/02 04:16:12
    RJS
    I don't believe chores make men happy. I believe men doing chores makes women happy, and happy women can make for some very happy men, if you know what I mean ;)
  • Osaka 2012/07/02 04:16:03
    Osaka
    I suppose, there is the factor of if the wife/girlfriend is happy. They are more likely happy too. :)
  • Eyes Se... Osaka 2012/07/02 07:53:25
    Eyes See Wide North
    And what if the house wife (not gender specific anymore, not sure if there is a name for it that does not imply gender) is unable to attend his/her duties for a month?

TV thought they knew the answer, it happened in at least 20 shows I know of, were the man would struggle to take care of everything and wear himself out (either being rescued by a friend or burning the house down) but I never saw a man actually enjoy and get a good grip of the work, its funny (and is suppose to be funny) because men are just as capable of women.
    We can just be a bit clumbsy* at first.
  • Osaka Eyes Se... 2012/07/02 18:29:45 (edited)
    Osaka
    Stay at home husband/dad, Wife is the woman and still the woman regardless of what society tells you.
  • Crime Time 2012/07/02 04:03:46
  • Eyes Se... Crime Time 2012/07/02 07:54:42
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    Exercising makes you tired, but you still feel good?

Or do you just feel tired without feeling good because your unfit / unhealthy / mentally unhealthy?

I did not imply anything here so dont take offense, if you do that is your own choice.
  • Cappy Mae(: 2012/07/02 03:58:44
    Cappy Mae(:
    i would think not
  • No
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +2
    What makes them happier is that their wives aren't bitching at them.
  • FELINE ... Jerry (... 2012/07/03 10:52:07
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Hmmm...that 's another perspective . Nice .
  • Torchy 2012/07/02 03:34:27 (edited)
    Torchy
    I think that my boyfriend does feel a sense of accomplishment when he goes out of the way to clean something, considering how he brags to get a compliment or 5. However, considering how much I have to clean comparatively, I'm thinking he's not particularly happy specifically from cleaning, or he might do it more often. He might also then be happier because I'm not going to throw a temper-tantrum when my weekends are spent cleaning and feeling angry because my stay-at-home boyfriend can take a break from work to play video games, but not clean up a bit.
  • Kiersten 2012/07/02 03:28:38
  • Momo 2012/07/02 03:28:28
    Momo
    Women don't even like chores what would make you think Men will?
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2012/07/02 03:27:50 (edited)
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +2
    Chores by themselves? No. I don't think that CHORES make men happier.

However, married men who contribute to household chores probably are recognized by their spouse for completing these necessary, daily or weekly tasks. And I'm guessing that these men who are recognized for their work and have a happier, or perhaps less stressed spouse ARE, overall, happier themselves.
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/07/02 03:04:34
    BloodlessVeins
    My dad is such. He can't be happy unless the house is clean, he gets so 'accomplished' happy when he cleans his apartment.
  • Angelic Kitty 2012/07/02 03:03:56
    Angelic Kitty
    +1
    My husband and I hate chores with a passion.
  • Eyes Se... Angelic... 2012/07/02 07:55:17
    Eyes See Wide North
    Call them something else then, call them goals, sound better yet?
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/07/02 02:56:19
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    I don't think chores make very many people happy!
  • Eyes Se... MlssCue... 2012/07/02 07:55:35
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    When chores dont get done, people are always unhappy...
  • Chris 2012/07/02 02:50:05
    Chris
    It's nice having a clean home... but no one likes all the work it takes to keep it that way.
  • Eyes Se... Chris 2012/07/02 07:55:54
    Eyes See Wide North
    No one? You calling me no one?
  • mae 2012/07/02 02:45:49 (edited)
    mae
    I say Yes--My hubby loves working in the yard, and his garden. He is also a great cook! He always makes the turkey for Thanksgiving.

2014/08/01 22:39:53