Do Chores Make Men Happier?

According to researchers from Cambridge University, husbands who do chores in the home are happier than those who do not. Sociologists used data from the European Social Survey, which compares values, attitudes, and behaviors across Europe. They compared responses from men and women regarding happiness and well-being, “work-life conflict,” and the amount of time spent on tasks like cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, etc.

The researchers expected to see women’s happiness levels rise when men shouldered more of the burden. Interestingly, it was the men who were happier, while their wives and girlfriends remained largely unmoved. According to the research, men who do more housework feel less guilt and experience less work-life conflict. In part, men are becoming more supportive of gender equality but women are also becoming more vocal.

“As a more equitable philosophy becomes the ideal, if you are experiencing something which doesn’t live up to that you are more ready to express dissatisfaction – and certainly that is what is perceived by men,” said Jacqueline Scott, professor of empirical sociology at Cambridge.

On the one hand, women are frustrated when men don't do their fair share of the housework and are expressing those feelings. However, many also want to make sure that the job is done right. Another study recently revealed that women in the UK spend three hours a week redoing chores they believe their partner hasn't done properly. No wonder women's happiness levels aren't rising as men take on more of the housework!

So, what do you think SodaHeads? Do chores make men happier?

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/9356714/Secret-o...

• Rio 2012/07/02 12:08:34
    Rio
    +3
    absolutely, give a man a task and he is whistling dixie! god i love a working man!
  • hasher 2012/07/02 12:07:19
    hasher
    +1
    i think splitting up the work is a personal thing between man and wife. all my boys know chores. and if youre asingle guy youre going to have to know how to do all that stuff anyway. chores are not a man or woman thing. they have to be done. there are things i prefer to do and things my hubby prefers to do. i do most now because he works 2 jobs so i dont expect him to do any unless he wants to. but he used to do the grocery shopping and outside work while i did most of the housework. and he cooks. we all take turns doing that.
  • FELINE ... hasher 2012/07/03 10:43:01
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Now , a good mother . If each mother ( of boys ) would be like you in a few generation's time the world would be better place.
  • Oli 2012/07/02 11:51:08
    Oli
    +1
    The feeling of accomplishing something can make anyone happy
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/07/02 11:40:19
    Nekosarethebest
    +2
    My dad was a stay at home dad and he was and still is awesome!
  • ed 2012/07/02 11:28:59
    ed
    +1
    I don't think it matters either way some are okay with it while others aren't,myself I do try and help out inside our home as well as outside.
  • Racefish 2012/07/02 11:20:47
    Racefish
    No matter what you do, you just can't satisfy women.

"it was the men who were happier, while their wives and girlfriends remained largely unmoved."
  • hasher Racefish 2012/07/02 12:13:22
    hasher
    not all women are like that. i never said anything to my husband. when our kids were little he took care of the kids as much as i did because it as much his responisbility as it was mine. he just pitched in and did whatever without being asked.
  • Racefish hasher 2012/07/02 20:28:38
    Racefish
    I know not all women are like that. You have to take the studies with a handful of salt.
  • FELINE ... Racefish 2012/07/03 10:44:16
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Thumbs down .
  • Racefish FELINE ... 2012/07/04 12:57:51
    Racefish
    Oh come on. Can't you take a joke?
  • .: LiVi :. 2012/07/02 10:43:23
    .: LiVi :.
    It gives them something to do with their hands, with all that pent up sexual energy, that's what freud would say.
  • FELINE ... .: LiVi :. 2012/07/03 10:45:50
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    I did not meet any sample making me say " Oh , Freud was right ." Still I search for clues he was right , in at least one thing .
  • .: LiVi :. FELINE ... 2012/07/03 11:13:00
    .: LiVi :.
    I wouldn't say he's right about everything, bit obsessed with sex but he certainly has some interesting ideas about the human psyche.
  • FELINE ... .: LiVi :. 2012/07/03 11:27:03
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Yes, I find it also interesting to read but when it is assumed to be scientific interesting ideas then I need proofs for them also which I never met until now . I observe , I try to reason some human behaviors & I try to read about a lot . Until now , Freud was not reasonable .
  • .: LiVi :. FELINE ... 2012/07/03 11:34:28
    .: LiVi :.
    None of his theories are fact, his psycho-analysis ideas are just theories, none of them have been scientifically proven, but yes they are interesting ideas. How is he not reasonable though?
  • FELINE ... .: LiVi :. 2012/07/03 11:36:21
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    +1
    Putting everything in the same basket . Easy , but not reasonable .
  • .: LiVi :. FELINE ... 2012/07/03 11:47:02
    .: LiVi :.
    +1
    Yeah true, there's more than one possible answer to everything!
  • FELINE ... .: LiVi :. 2012/07/03 11:56:20
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    As much as the number of people on earth . I have learned that each human being is an island different from the next one . They look alike but you can't expect to find same things on them .
  • .: LiVi :. FELINE ... 2012/07/03 11:57:26
    .: LiVi :.
    I think everyone is different to some degree, but ultimately we are all the same, and we are all one person
  • FELINE ... .: LiVi :. 2012/07/03 11:59:59
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Believe me . I am older ( I think ) . I have experienced that enough . What makes you think we are the same is the similarities , yeah , ok , but basics may differ surprisingly ; the motivations to act in a certain way are endless ( for every single personality ) .
  • .: LiVi :. FELINE ... 2012/07/03 12:04:11
    .: LiVi :.
    I think that everyone seems different on the surface, but we are all just different projections, different interpretations, different possibilities of the same source, God, we are all the same, no one is special or unique, because of our egos, we believe we are seperate individuals, but we are really all connected and are all part of God, all the same thing. That is my personal belief, you don't have to agree.
  • FELINE ... .: LiVi :. 2012/07/03 12:11:48
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    +1
    I agree that no one is special on his own but every one is special for someone else ( e.g. : my daughter is special for me & your daughter for you ) . I also agree that we are so similar but don't underestimate the differences & different reasons & conditions creating those differences .
  • MegaFortunateSon 2012/07/02 10:38:12
    MegaFortunateSon
    Maybe liberal men.
  • mr kalada 2012/07/02 09:36:16
    mr kalada
    +1
    i wud only do it to make her happy...
  • FELINE ... mr kalada 2012/07/03 10:46:07
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    you are nice :)
  • AN 2012/07/02 09:04:40
    AN
    +1
    DO chores make ANYONE happier???
    mmm... NO chores happier mmm
  • Playerazzi 2012/07/02 08:45:08
    Playerazzi
    What the hey? Why would it?

But

I'll bet it's the other way around: happier men are more willing to do chores.
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/07/02 08:24:37
    Lady Aiyanna
    If it is my husband who is basking in Australia counting his green bills, he would probably be prefer lying in bed and farting around than doing any work. He prefers a pig sty and a tip as a place and infact tells you not to clean and to bring a clear to do the work.

While there are others who love to be fastidious and will not tolerate any dirt around and my dad was one of them.

Depends on he way they are brought up.
  • Airhead 2012/07/02 08:00:52
    Airhead
    Housework no, but when it comes to fixing upgrading or building it does give me a sense of accomplishment.
  • rocat 2012/07/02 07:52:01
    rocat
    my my my...
    look how the vote falls ...
    along gender lines-

looks like you gals are full of crap-
    and we guys ain't havin' it-
  • Eyes See Wide North 2012/07/02 07:42:59
    Eyes See Wide North
    I dont call them chores, I call it improving my surrounding with spare time I normally spend on this sh*t site listening to people b*tch,
    all you wasters should take a page from my book.
  • Eyes Se... Eyes Se... 2012/07/02 07:44:11
    Eyes See Wide North
    And Yes would have been my option if you had chosen a different word in place of "chores", undecided makes me sound behind, and No, I really hope people dont think men are immune to effects of benefiting ones own life.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/07/02 06:17:21
    Inquisitve Kat
    Research seems to support it... physical activity improves our mood, so it makes sense.
  • Red Rage 2012/07/02 05:38:51
    Red Rage
    +1
    Not sure which is more stupid: This question or the fact that 35 people voted, 'Undecided.'
  • Eyes Se... Red Rage 2012/07/02 07:47:39
    Eyes See Wide North
    Im not sure if your stupid?
    Is it that you think these jobs belong to women and only women (who I guarantee will make your life a hell or empty if you dont cop on), or is it that EVERY single man does enough with his primary tasks (career whatever) that someone else should take care of him when he is at home?
    Because I have got one hell of a job, and I do have a few women that come around to clean up quite a lot, but from time to time when I feel I have spent enough time relaxing, I get up and do my own cleaning up, and I dont complain like a b*tch when I do this, I just enjoy it.
  • Soot The Fallen 2012/07/02 05:12:45
    Soot The Fallen
    Well for me they do when i want somthing done a specific way i have to do it myself, my mom dosent listen to logic. Then i feel happy and acomplished so i can get back to my games.
  • S.H 2012/07/02 05:12:39
    S.H
    Hell yes, I LOVE hoovering and dusting! Such a rush! Don't even get me started on washing dishes! Oh godddd.
  • Soot Th... S.H 2012/07/02 05:13:22
    Soot The Fallen
    +1
    Sounds like an orgasam for you sir.
  • S.H Soot Th... 2012/07/02 08:31:12
    S.H
    Nah I'm just joking, I don't mind. Dishes are the worst in my opinion though, ironically. I don't mind the other two.

Play some good tunes and it flies by.

2014/10/01 20:24:14