Divorced Men Make a Good Catch: Have You Ever Dated Someone Who's Been Through a Divorce?

mrosen814 2012/07/03 21:00:00
Divorce has become a part of our social fabric, says RSVP's relationship expert and psychologist, John Aiken. "I think the stigma has really dropped away with regards to divorce. There are more people getting divorced than ever, it's something that's commonplace in the media, with celebrities, and kids are growing up with divorce, they're coming from divorced families," he says.

And, according to The Age, there are a slew of reasons supporting the stance that divorced men make a good catch. These include everything from relationship experience to character building. However, the article points out, that individuals and their past relationships should be examined on a case-by-case basis. Have you ever dated someone who's been through a divorce?

Read More: http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life/divorced-m...

• Nick 2012/07/05 13:38:21
    Nick
    +1
    I find everyone fine to date. This question is about dating not commitment right?
  • FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK 2012/07/05 12:31:17
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    In fact , I am the reason of his divorce ( I am not proud for that & could not prevent ,also ) .
  • Nomad Telepath A.M.O.R.C 2012/07/05 10:10:47
    Nomad Telepath A.M.O.R.C
    I married mine.
  • baxter 2012/07/05 09:29:39
    baxter
    NO
  • april 2012/07/05 09:25:12
    april
    +2
    I've never dated a divorced man, but if I did I would take it slow, and make sure he isn't anything like my sister's current boyfriend! He is divorced, has 2 kids, he has narcissistic tendencies, and he's going through an ugly custody battle with his ex-wife, who also happens to have narcissistic tendencies. He drinks to deal with his stress, and he treats my sister like crap when he is wasted. He says things no woman should ever hear from their mate. Why she hasn't gotten rid of him yet is a mystery to me! I guess it all depends on what kind of divorced man a person is that determines whether or not he is a good catch.
  • Proud april 2012/07/05 16:25:24
  • april Proud 2012/07/05 20:40:25
    april
    I truly appreciate the advice. This is my first experience living with a divorced man, but I had a feeling it was him and not the divorce that was the main problem.
    He is my sister's boyfriend and I am their roommate at the moment. I am old enough and not ashamed to admit if he was my boyfriend. Me living here is temporary, and I am scared that when I leave she will marry the wrong man.
    He is 41, and his narcissism really stands out on a daily basis, so I have a bad feeling that he will not grow out of that any time soon.
    You hit the nail on the head with the dysfunctional family...night and day from how my sister and I grew up in a loving 2 parent close knit household...and I know we were lucky for that!
    He lost his father to a sudden heart attack when he was 2yrs. old and apparently his mother waitressed and afterwards drank every night and left him either alone at home or with his grandparents(her in-laws) who both passed when he was fairly young.
    According to him, she was always coming home wasted with different men all the time, and it was very anxiety provoking, he has said.
    He doesn't really have any family other than his mother, and he talks to her rudely and hates and complains about the traits he now shares with her! I know he didn't ask to be born into that situation, but...

He doesn't really have any family other than his mother, and he talks to her rudely and hates and complains about the traits he now shares with her! I know he didn't ask to be born into that situation, but his negative aura is so strong!
    I was in an 8 yr. relationship that didn't work out, but it was an amicable split, and our relationship was very good and functional...he also comes from the same type of background as me, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.
    I rebounded into what turned out to be a 2yr abusive relationship, so I know what it is like to feel so in love and trust someone sooo completely, but now I also know what it is like to be disrespected and lied to on a daily basis. He is part of the reason I'm temporarily living here...I had to move away from him...and his childhood was equally dysfunctional!!
    I will never let myself be treated poorly by a man again. I'd rather be single and happy, than with a partner and miserable, but how do I convince my sister that it is impossible for her to ever be happy with a man like this!!!
    I also recently realized that he's not even paying his share of the bills like I thought...
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/07/05 08:21:53
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +6
    Divorce men are not a good catch. Baggage comes with them.
  • KoAm Hula gi... 2012/07/06 02:09:18
    KoAm
    Everyone has "baggage." The question is whether it's carry-on, or too big for carry-on. If it's carry-on, no problem.

There's actually worse "baggage" than being a divorcee.

And if you're the type of person who's going to "peg" and "tag" someone as having "baggage" just because they're divorced, without getting to know them as an individual, well, what can I say? Not a good reflection on you, no offense.

My husband was married once before, many years before meeting me. The only "baggage" he had was that he married too young and made a bad choice in wives the first time around.

He didn't make a bad choice the second time, if I must say so myself. And I certainly didn't make a bad choice by marrying him. I couldn't have asked for a more outstanding man. It's been such a blessing being married to him!
  • Hula gi... KoAm 2012/07/06 02:35:09
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    No baggage is nicer than baggage.
  • Pele Em... Hula gi... 2012/07/06 07:04:24
    Pele Emerging
    Hula, probably not as much baggage as men who have never been married (at least at my age--gad, I hate the term middle aged). I know I have baggage, myself, but I hope that I can stuff it all in a rolling suitcase and carry it myself.
  • Justin Teufel Hunden 2012/07/05 07:54:12
    Justin Teufel Hunden
    +2
    Never dated a man. Never will. I've dated a woman freshly divorced... I believe she needed more 'adjustment' time.
  • Pele Em... Justin ... 2012/07/06 07:05:45
    Pele Emerging
    You're probably right about that. I know that anyone who is fresh from a relationship breakup is probably not nearly as ready for the next one as they think they are.
  • Jiorgia 2012/07/05 07:25:20
    Jiorgia
    +1
    I guess that it depends on why they divorced, I think that a man whos wife divorced him because he abused her isn't much of a catch...
  • MiaBella 2012/07/05 07:08:42
    MiaBella
    +3
    Divorced men are a complete mess Even more than regular men. Believe it.
  • The Riv... MiaBella 2012/07/05 07:54:34
    The River Rat
    Gee, thanks, baby. : /
  • nataku80 The Riv... 2012/07/05 14:50:55
    nataku80
    +1
    Lol ha
  • MiaBella The Riv... 2012/07/05 18:15:24
  • King An... MiaBella 2012/07/05 18:32:55
  • MiaBella King An... 2012/07/05 18:58:58
    MiaBella
    IM going to have to say YES. i dated a divorced man and i had to deal with the emotional baggage getting in the way with out relationship and the ex so much that it really wasnt an enjoyable experience.
  • King An... MiaBella 2012/07/05 19:02:12
  • MiaBella King An... 2012/07/05 19:09:05
    MiaBella
    same here. i guess im a bit shallow, but i dont want to deal with someones emotional baggage. seriously. dont get into a relationship if youre still so hung up on it. gosh. i rejected this guy several times before i actually said i would date him because i knew he had just been through a divorce, and i was underage :D hehehe
  • King An... MiaBella 2012/07/05 19:15:18
  • MiaBella King An... 2012/07/05 19:21:53
    MiaBella
    Sure!
  • King An... MiaBella 2012/07/05 19:24:57
  • emilychung 2012/07/05 06:47:43 (edited)
  • 3359557 2012/07/05 06:30:05
    3359557
    +2
    They've been there, done that, and learn from their mistakes. Only problem, most men
    can't seem to forget their X.
  • sally 2012/07/05 04:00:57
    sally
    +3
    I'd hope I won't date an 18 year old divorcee any time soon.
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/07/05 03:48:43
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +2
    My husband of 25 years was divorced twice before we were married.
  • Lucy 2012/07/05 03:47:39
    Lucy
    +2
    Sure and I married one who has learned that sometimes people are a mismatch and finally you can find someone who fits you.
  • Spe168 2012/07/05 03:28:03
    Spe168
    +2
    I've dated several of them. Married a couple of them, too.
  • Arizona1950 2012/07/05 02:30:54
    Arizona1950
    +2
    I have dated a divorced man.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/07/05 02:28:58
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    I got together with my ex wife about a year after she split up with her ex husband...
  • the_old_coach 2012/07/05 02:24:31
    the_old_coach
    +3
    Yes, I sure have. Not a big deal.
  • Pele Em... the_old... 2012/07/06 07:06:29
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    LOL, I'll bet your wife think so. :)
  • Amy.[: 2012/07/05 00:40:38
    Amy.[:
    alittle too young for that
  • Brother Bo 2012/07/04 23:33:51
    Brother Bo
    +2
    Sure... I even married a couple of them...
  • Rocky 2012/07/04 21:17:30 (edited)
    Rocky
    +2
    I am female but never wanted a kid so I walked away from men with kids. Not a bad thing - I just never wanted a kid or anyone elses kid! I actually married a guy that had two kids - older kids - like 30~and 40. We are still together after 12 years.
  • Unicorns vs Narwhals 2012/07/04 21:04:42
    Unicorns vs Narwhals
    Nope I've only ever dated my friends. That sounds weird, but pretty much all of my friends are girls :D
  • beach bum 2012/07/04 20:41:16

2014/04/24 02:36:50