Disagreement Punishments?

BHGOzzy 2012/03/08 21:15:17
Lately, Rush Limbaugh said something that people thought was offensive, and yes, it was. There's no arguing that, but now people are actually singing petitions to destroy the man's career, over what he said in an election year. People are actively attempting to demonize and destroy a man who is, by all accounts, simply a talk show host and a radio entertainer. While his views are his own, and he does need to account for him, they do not represent the views of any government body. Does this mean he should be punished by having his career destroyed and likely being blacklisted from radio so that he can never obtain a job again?

Is this what we really are now in America? Do we destroy people we don't personally agree with? Should we continue this practice of hatred spirals past the election year, or are we actually still better then that as a nation?

The choice is up to you.

• Glenn Mitchell 2012/03/08 21:21:04
    Glenn Mitchell
    +1
    Unfortunately the ability to attack someone with a dissenting opinion tends to minimize their original post because the attack is more in your face. These attacks take things off-topic quickly.
  • BHGOzzy Glenn M... 2012/03/08 21:34:03
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    Indeed. Guy even apologized and people are signing petitions to kill his career even more. Because he apologized... ON THE AIR.

Do I listen to Rush? Yeah, occasionally. He's fun to listen to. Do I believe a WORD he says? No, he's an entertainer, not a reporter. Even then I'd fact check. I treat him as what he is. We didn't try to destroy the Dixy Chicks careers after they shat on the soldiers, we just stopped buying their records for awhile.

What makes him so different?
  • Glenn M... BHGOzzy 2012/03/09 04:01:25
    Glenn Mitchell
    +1
    BHGOzzy, in all honesty I wasn't even speaking of Rush in my post. I was entering my response based on the second paragraph of the lead in for the poll. You are absolutely right, it seems all of us are way too quick to tear somebody apart when their views differ from our own.
  • BHGOzzy Glenn M... 2012/03/09 04:29:40
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    Good on ya for generalizing cause it IS applicable to way too many. Thanks bro.

2014/10/30 16:11:19