Digg Sells to Betaworks for $500k: Bigger Disaster Than MySpace?

Fef 2012/07/13 00:14:38
Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
MySpace is bigger Social Media disaster
Kevin Rose started Digg in 2004. Rose grew the social-bookmarking site to over 15,000,000 monthly visitors. Later Rose raised $45 million in venture capital from savvy investors including LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman and Marc Andreessen. Digg redesigned its homepage (and allegedly the method of featuring content to increase revenues from sponsorship) in August 2010. The controversial homepage redesign marked the beginning of the end for Digg, which now has less than half the traffic it once had.

Chart of digg.com traffic according to compete.com
digg traffic

ONLINE.WSJ.COM reports:
Betaworks has agreed to buy news-sharing website Digg, in an attempt to revive a company that was early to social media but outmaneuvered by rivals like Facebook and Twitter.

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527023043...

• Elementer 2012/07/14 06:49:36
    MySpace is bigger Social Media disaster
    Elementer
    Pfft, I remember using Digg in Middle School. Everyone uses reddit or some other social feed now.

MySpace is a trainwreck, though.
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2012/07/13 23:37:38
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
  • Dolly 2012/07/13 23:16:51
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    Dolly
    I like myspace better than Digg but Sodahead totally rules!
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/07/13 19:52:35
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    Margaret Jacobson
    never used
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/07/13 15:28:26
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    meh.
  • beach bum 2012/07/13 07:20:20
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    beach bum
  • Irish little 2012/07/13 04:46:12
    MySpace is bigger Social Media disaster
    Irish little
    +1
    The social media and the imagination of these people have coct them mant and many of jobs because it is monitered by prospective employers and what is posted is taken as truth.
  • JoLost 2012/07/13 01:50:38
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    JoLost
    +1
    But I still wont invest in any of them.
  • Thunderwalker 2012/07/13 01:04:51
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    Thunderwalker
    +1
    I have heard of Myspace....
  • Daryl 2012/07/13 01:02:01
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    Daryl
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    +3
    Allow me to introduce myself.

I am an inveterate member of the Digg Patriots. Never heard of us, I suppose. Well, a lot of the liberal denizens of Digg will literally talk of nothing else in their comments. I'll give you a universal answer to their canards: we merely gave the liberals a taste of their own medicine.

And in the process of turning Digg into a liberal-dominated network, they caused a lot of people to leave in disgust. The administration compounded the problem with their "reforms" that didn't help matters any, but merely made them worse.

They had their chance to make sure that Digg would be a place of fair play. They blew it, big-time. I have no respect whatsoever for Kevin Rose or any other member of his staff. They just got what they deserved.
  • pdarkow Temlako... 2012/07/13 23:39:54
    pdarkow
    You seem to be a lot more informed than I am. May I ask you to explain a few things to me? First and foremost who or what exactly is Digg? Then explain how this sale was a Social Media disaster? or was Digg itself a social media disaster? if so, How?
  • Temlako... pdarkow 2012/07/14 03:00:06
    Digg was the first of the social mark-up sites. It started by marking up articles of technological interest only. Then it opened a political section.

And totally cast aside every notion of fairness in policing it.

It got so that no conservative dared respond to a liberal submission, unless he just flat didn't care about getting kicked off the site for good. Once I started leaving the same comment in reply to a particular bit of liberal snidery:

"Why don't you pass the time by playing a little solitaire?"

That earned a ban. For "spam."

Digg turned itself into a disaster. It's a train wreck. And now, incredibly, they're blaming all of Digg's troubles on the Digg Patriots. I've just had to leave a comment on an article on ZDNet by Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols, telling him to stop repeating lies, and telling Kevin Rose that if he tries to blame me in public for diminishing the value of his investment, *I* will sue *him*.
  • pdarkow Temlako... 2012/07/14 04:20:41
    pdarkow
    +1
    Thank You for informing me about who they are because I never heard of them so I couldn't make an opinion. You are so right any site that kicks somebody off because they do not agree with something said is not a site worth going to anyway.
  • Temlako... pdarkow 2012/07/14 18:38:19
    +1
    You're welcome.

In case you never heard the line:

That is the trigger sentence given to Army S. Sgt. Raymond Shaw in /The Manchurian Candidate/.
    Digg is bigger Social Media disaster
    agree

2014/07/31 07:29:33