Did you know pickle juice is a good remedy for muscle cramps?

onetirednurse 2011/12/01 22:26:35
Science has finally caught up with the remedy athletes having been using for years to help relieve muscle cramps. When I ran track in high school back in the 80s we used it for muscle cramps. So dont throw out that jar of pickle juice when the pickles are gone. Do you like to drink pickle juice? I do..

Meet The New Sports Drink: Pickle Juice

Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:18 pm

Written by: Adam Watson

juice thursday december 1 2011 118 pm written adam watson

When it comes to folk remedies, professional athletes are miles ahead of the game. Whether putting butter on a burn or rubbing dirt on a cut, they'll do just about anything if they think it'll help them get through a game.

Including drinking pickle juice.

The practice of downing cucumber brine isn't a new one. It's been used for decades and got media attention back in 2000 when Eagles trainer Rick Burkholder credited pickle juice as the secret weapon that helped his team stomp the Cowboys in Texas Stadium. On that day, temperatures on the field soared above 110 degrees -- the perfect conditions for a cramp-fest.
But the Philadelphia players, dosed with the neon elixir, avoided the crippling injury and won running away, 41-14.

As it turns out, this is one of those rare occasions where the science caught up to the practice.

A study done last year at BYU proved the efficacy of the folksy curative. Subjects exercised to the point of mild dehydration and had cramps induced. Those who drank pickle juice felt relief within 85 seconds, almost twice as fast as water or other sports drinks.

ThePostGame brings you the most interesting sports stories on the web.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to read them first!

"Pickle juice is a natural source of sodium as well as other electrolytes," says Buccaneers team nutritionist Kevin Luhrs. "Sodium is a component of sweat. The rationale is that sodium from the pickle juice helps replace sodium losses from sweat and even helps retain water in the body."

Although Luhrs said he doesn't use pickle juice with any Buccaneers, he says the practice is common around the league. Dez Bryant reportedly loves it. Jason Witten even endorsed a bottled version called Pickle Juice Sport back in 2006. Packers defensive end Jarius Wynn used to swear by it.

version pickle juice sport 2006 packers defensive jarius wynn swear

"I used to drink pickle juice in high school to keep the cramps down," Wynn says. "It was good when I was young, especially playing in the South where is gets really hot."

Wynn has switched to coconut water or other electrolyte-laden
drinks. But Pickle Juice Sport founder Brandon Brooks says he provides his product to nearly two dozen teams and more than 100 professional athletes.

His sales are up so much (54 percent from last year alone) that he can't produce enough of the drink to sign on with any more large retail outlets.

Now with the science to back it up, pickle juice appears to be here to stay. It probably won't hit the shelves of 7-Eleven anytime soon, but the curious can simply grab the jar of dills from the refrigerator door next time they wake up with a knot in their calf.

Makes you wonder if a shot of olive juice might be good for more than just martinis.

• BOOGIETHEBOOG 2012/01/30 18:23:10
    BOOGIETHEBOOG
    +1
    No I did not know this, My mom always gave me a bananna
  • onetire... BOOGIET... 2012/01/31 01:17:27
    onetirednurse
    Bananas are a good source of potassium which can help with muscle cramping. The sodium in pickle juice helps the body retain water in the body, dehydration is the main reason muscles cramp up.
  • BOOGIET... onetire... 2012/02/02 18:46:19
    BOOGIETHEBOOG
    I did not know that dehydration could cause muscle cramp.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2011/12/02 02:35:20
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    Amazing what one learns on SH. And documented facts too. Thanks!
  • Recruit 2011/12/01 23:14:09
    Recruit
    +1
    As a highly trained and well paid nutritionist i have studied this for many years.
    Pickle juice has always been considered a great nutritional value since the begining of time.
    Pickles were grown for the juice alone and those that sucked on them were considered sleasy an slutty because of the sexual look but as time went by ,it was less provocative.
    During the mid 1800s... a man called Slippyme A Pickle spilled pickle juice on his pants and his slave woman cleaned it off...hense forth the blow job was formed and so was the phrase " suck my pickle".

True story...look it up
  • onetire... Recruit 2011/12/02 00:08:02
    onetirednurse
    I should have known I would get that info from you LOL
  • Recruit onetire... 2011/12/02 00:30:42
    Recruit
    +1
    just trying to pass my intelect onto others...bbbwwwaaaa
  • Hannie 2011/12/01 22:52:01 (edited)
    Hannie
    +1
    That's very interesting, I have never thought of the already yummy stuff!

Edit: That's very interesting, I have never thought of the already yummy stuff that way!
  • onetire... Hannie 2011/12/02 00:06:19
    onetirednurse
    +1
    Oh yes, it's high sodium content replenishes the sodium you lose sweating. Once your body becomes low on sodium it can't retain water and you can become dehydrated.
  • Hannie onetire... 2011/12/02 00:10:22
    Hannie
    +1
    I love remedies, bye-bye Gatorade!
  • onetire... Hannie 2011/12/02 00:35:30
    onetirednurse
    +1
    The Gatorade can keep you hydrated and works even better when you take a few sips of pickle juice with it.
  • Hannie onetire... 2011/12/03 01:02:57
    Hannie
    +1
    Well, for an honest reality check for myself, I'm not all that active. But I still love to pucker up to pickle juice occasionally.
  • sockpuppet 2011/12/01 22:44:15
    sockpuppet
    +1
    Holy acidosis, Batman! Interesting theory, for sure. :O)
  • onetire... sockpuppet 2011/12/02 00:02:33
    onetirednurse
    +1
    As a runner I have tried other things for my muscle cramps. Gatorade, powerade, and water I always go back to pickle juice it seems to relieve the cramps a little faster.
    Pickle juice is basically cucumber brine. Brine is loaded with sodium. When we sweat, sweat is basically sodium. Sodium also helps the body retain water so when you sweat alot you lose sodium and then the body can't retain water. Drinking pickle juice will replenish the sodium in the body and help the body retain water so you don't dehydrate..
  • sockpuppet onetire... 2011/12/02 00:36:32
    sockpuppet
    +1
    Yeah, I can see that, alright... just seems like a lot of acid to add
    when your liver is busy metabolizing the lactic acid from the workout.
    It's a wonderful machine. :O)
  • onetire... sockpuppet 2011/12/02 00:40:32
    onetirednurse
    It only takes a few small sips of pickle juice to replinish the sodium. If you drink water or Gatorade a few minutes later you can quickly rehydrate.
    +1
    thanks
  • onetire... Sister ... 2011/12/02 00:33:01
    onetirednurse
    +1
    Your welcome :)
  • User Deactivated 2011/12/01 22:29:49 (edited)
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Mind over matter can be a wonderful thing at times, just like a placebo drug. There is nothing in pickle juice that would scientifically suggest it would help with muscle cramps, unless you threw a jar of it into a hot tub and soaked in it for an hour or so.
  • onetire... User De... 2011/12/01 22:36:04 (edited)
    onetirednurse
    +1
    Actually it has been studied..

"A study done last year at BYU proved the efficacy of the folksy curative. Subjects exercised to the point of mild dehydration and had cramps induced. Those who drank pickle juice felt relief within 85 seconds, almost twice as fast as water or other sports drinks."
  • User De... onetire... 2011/12/01 22:39:28
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Alright I wont argue any more other than to say you can pretty much find any study to fit your argument. I just looked at the ingredients on the pickle jar in my fridge and none of those are scientifically known to have any significant benefit as far as I'm concerned. Drinking a protein drink would probably have helped relieve their muscle cramps better.
  • onetire... User De... 2011/12/02 00:26:16 (edited)
    onetirednurse
    +1
    I don't want to argue either. I agree many researches have an end that the researcher wants to prove. But BYU was researching why pickle juice is the drink of choice for athletes instead of water or Gatorade or protein drinks. If anything they were trying to prove wrong the old wives tale that pickle juice works best. And found out different.
    I'm a runner, I have tried Gatorade, Powerade, and other drinks as well as protein drinks. Pickle juice does give me quicker relief.
    Pickle juice is basically cucumber brine. Brine is loaded with sodium. Sweat is sodium too. As the body expells sodium while sweating, the body can no longer retain water so you end up becoming dehydrated. When drinking pickle juice, you are replinishing sodium in your body and as the sodium works it's way through your body it will also help retain water. it's a physiology issue..
    Kind of like when I eat salty chips, I will swell up slightly because the sodium from the chips are causing me to retain water I don't nessacessrily need to retain which is why I swell.
  • User De... onetire... 2011/12/02 01:42:42 (edited)
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Guess I never thought of it that way, it is true the more salt you intake as an athlete is better, but to me that's what gatoraide and such are meant for, which have quite the high amount of salt intake...guess I just never knew pickle juice could do the same for you But I've never noticed a difference in muscle function or cramps from either >.< To each their own!
  • onetire... User De... 2011/12/02 06:52:13
    onetirednurse
    Gatorade does have alot of sodium, but not as much as pickle juice. What I usually do is take a few small sips of pickle juice then after a couple of minutes of stretching out the cramp I drink Gatorade to replinish my elctrolytes. I usually don't have anymore cramping issues after that.

2014/08/01 14:09:13