Did You Get Good Grades in High School? (What It Says About Your Health)

You knew that getting straight As in high school could help get you a better job, but did you know it could be affecting your health long after graduation?

According to a new study, the better your grades were in high school, the healthier you are decades later.

"If you look at two people with high school degrees, the person with better grades is healthier later in life," Pamela Herd, an associate professor of public affairs and sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, told Time magazine.

The researchers looked at 10,000 high school graduates from 1957 and found that the higher a person's class rank, the more likely they were to report "excellent" or "very good" health in their early 60s. They were also more likely to report fewer chronic conditions.

Herd says it's possible that A-students are as conscientious about their health as they are about their grades, avoiding cigarettes, exercising and eating right. They also might apply their critical thinking skills to making good health care choices.

Is this study all it's cracked up to be, or is it just another excuse to make B students feel bad about themselves?

Read More: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,203...

• Angelic Kitty 2010/12/11 01:35:45 (edited)
    No, I was a C student
    Angelic Kitty
    +9
    So stupid...

I was mostly a C student, I got very bored quick and couldn't focus on my work. Yet, I am healthy, at a normal weight, I eat right and exercise, never smoked and I rarely drink.

My dad got plenty of A's when he was in school, he was a drunk and has many health problems.

• Hellingame 2011/02/23 04:46:48
    No, I was a C student
    Hellingame
    Hahaha, I graduated highschool with a 2.8 GPA (still counts as C, right?)
    Went to comm college (3.7 GPA).

I have 20 employees, 6 of whom were 4.0+ GPA in highschool and 3.8+ in either Harvard or UCLA. I make 3 times as much as they do, get more sleep, go to more parties, and spend more time with family.

I love myself.
  • Ally Cl... Hellingame 2013/03/19 01:52:18
    Ally Clevenger
    +3
    What do you do?
  • dracorexXP 2011/01/06 08:52:17
    Yes, I got mostly As
    dracorexXP
    getting good grades, but I feel like crap. there are circles under my eyes, the floor shifts if I am awake too long, and I get really strange dizzy spells when I am sitting down. Its driving me insane!!!!
  • Ally Cl... dracorexXP 2013/03/19 01:48:00
    Ally Clevenger
    +1
    I now As mean a lot to you, but it is not everything! I get really sick all the time now because I stress so much about As.... I have a B now because I am in an extremely challenging class and I am beginning to accept it. I get dizzy spells also. It is stress, take a break and live life, it will be okay. I don't have perfect grades anymore, but it is better to be healthy and feel good. Make sure to have fun... get out and chill with friends.
  • gamman 2010/12/16 17:57:28
    No, I was a C student
    gamman
    i had a 2.67 GPA in High School; a 2.89 GPA in college; and a 3.7 GPA for my second Master's degree.
  • Emily 2010/12/14 19:53:03
    Yes, I got mostly As
    Emily
    I get alot of A's but most of the time I think it's just dumb luck.
  • gamman Emily 2010/12/16 17:58:12
    gamman
    That is good. Hopefully it helps you "a lot"
  • noura 2010/12/14 10:30:37
    Yes, I got mostly As
    noura
    but these year i get lil bad grades :/
    but i'm trying to get good grades so i hope that cuz i was one of the best 12 students in the school and now one of the worst :/
  • Dorothy and Toto 2010/12/14 09:16:43
    Yes, I got mostly As
    Dorothy and Toto
    I'm glad to know that my needing surgery has nothing to do with what I did in High School... neither does anything else that's happening today.

Do people get paid to do these "studies"?
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2010/12/14 07:51:58
    Yes, I got mostly As
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    Yes High school honor student all 4 years and college too
  • Ally Cl... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2013/03/19 01:50:29
    Ally Clevenger
    +2
    That is great! My body can no longer tolerate straight As medically because I stress to much and get very sick. How did you do it? Did this include extracurricular activities?
  • Wonder Woman 2010/12/14 04:43:11
  • paige♥ 2010/12/14 04:09:58
    No, I was a C student
    paige♥
    Well right now I'm in secondary school year 10 and i have 2 as 2 bs and 2 ds :(
  • Divided States of America 2010/12/14 02:59:51
    Divided States of America
    If I tried I think straight A's would have been pretty easy.I think most of my teachers would have agreed and would also say what a waste of my ability when I would not apply myself.A's in classes I cared about,at the time that wasn't many,and I would not do homework.I had a job that paid and didn't feel like school mattered.

I guess much hasn't changed.I want to learn what I want to learn.lol. These days economics ,politics,and history of war ,and allot about religions,as they are motives for all three.
  • Kei 2010/12/14 02:42:58
    Kei
    I had strong classes, such as math, I got A's, Science- all A's,, Economics- mostly A's, everything else was whatever to me, mostly B's and a few C's. I always did better in summer school than I did in regular school for some odd reason.
  • Stealthy 2010/12/14 02:16:22
    No, I was a B student
    Stealthy
    My grades range from As to Cs
  • TheMadChameleon 2010/12/14 00:45:36
    TheMadChameleon
    Well, it depends on what you consider mostly A's. My GPA is over a 4.0 and I've had about a split of A's and B's, one C--but many of those grades are in AP classes and many of the others are in honors classes, and as my school district adds weight to those, it inflates my GPA. Without weights it's about a 3.6, 3.7 or so I suspect--mostly A's? I dunno, I think it'd have to be at least a 3.75, 3.8 to qualify for mostly A's. Good grades aside, I have bad joints, a screwed up spine (mostly taken care of, thank god for physical therapists), insomnia, and chronic migraines that I somehow don't think are related to my grades. Not sure I'd put much weight in this study, but that could just be my personal observations.
  • Nisa PinkySwear(*~*) 2010/12/14 00:36:39
  • mj-MUSIC-mcr 2010/12/13 21:25:35
    No, I was a B student
    mj-MUSIC-mcr
    +1
    yeah even i didn't get any a's, i'm still healthy, i eat, i work out & i'm alot healthier than i qwas during my a-level years
  • Princess 2010/12/13 20:24:33
    No, I was a C student
    Princess
    If I tried I would get A's.
  • Jimmi Jammi 2010/12/13 19:37:58
    Jimmi Jammi
    I made very bad at school and got mostly D-, but they move me to the special class and then I got four gold stars and ten happy clouds and two warts.
  • PerpetualThot 2010/12/13 18:33:19
    No, I was a B student
    PerpetualThot
    Anything more than a C or B is a waste of time.
  • Malorie 2010/12/13 17:25:23
    Yes, I got mostly As
    Malorie
    curently i have one B and its an 89!!!! dont ya hate that???
  • beachbum 2010/12/13 16:46:38
    No, I was a C student
    beachbum
    +1
    I was a B/C student because I was having fun - was not the least bit interested in making good grades - had absolutely nothing to do with my intelligence - I just didn't care. I was busy having fun.

I am also, here in later years, as healthy as the day is long, and take absolutely NO medication, and haven't been to a doctor in years. Also, quite intelligent.
  • christine95~sumgirl 2010/12/13 16:31:38
    christine95~sumgirl
    mostly five's but i'm hoping for a six in English this year =P
  • BornToBeWild 2010/12/13 16:10:34
    Yes, I got mostly As
    BornToBeWild
    From 1st through 12th grade...I loved going to school and getting involved with clubs, the band, and school activities! But I always just missed being an honor roll student...oh well! I had many FUN times!
  • Pontu DaJabel 2010/12/13 16:09:42
    Pontu DaJabel
    10,000 points of data is really a small take for a realistic scientific or sociological study. A few million would return what we would call substantiated (not quite conclusive) results - enough to establish a theory.

There are a lot of factors at play in this study. For one, it does not actually acknowledge psychosomatic influences on health. What the mind thinks about regularly has a great influence over the health of the physical organism; thoughts influence the immune system in a big way. .. . What people think about is also determined to a large extent by the influence of the environments (cultural / social) in which they function on a daily basis. We live in a media infiltrated environment in modern times, so many of the social and cultural boundaries of fifty years ago do not exist today. Not only are we pelted with a barrage of triple dumb dumb very unhealthy behavior in mass media, but also advertising for medical services and pharmaceuticals is a mainstay of the broadcast media diet. Guess what, those ads are designed specifically to talk you into being medically unsound - that's where they obtain a market for the products, and psychosomatic influence is a big part of that ad campaign.

The ideas in this write-up about high grade makers thinking in a producti...

The ideas in this write-up about high grade makers thinking in a productive manner, being more health conscious, having goals established that promote the maintenance of good health: these are all good and probably very valid points. At some time in all of this maybe we have to consider the concept of intelligence - essentially the capacity to analyze environmental stimulus and make productive responses to advance the security and comfort of the organism - thinking past the end of one's nose. Unfortunately, what intelligence is able to render as an emergent, pragmatic view of the future is dependent in a big way on the available resources of stimulus and information in the social / cultural environments. There is a lot of intelligence being wasted on very destructive lifestyles today, and that was not a common feature of the American lifestyle in the late fifties when the students in this study were in high school. The curriculums in the schools of the late fifties were much different than they are today, much different: much, much different.

The most devastating change in education has been a concerted attack on the spiritual nature of good health, not just in the schools but in the social environment and media influences in general. The students in those earlier times were not taught with extreme prejudice that faith in creation and the miracle of health and the continence against destructive appetition that results from Biblical literacy and the disciplined practice of faith is unrealistic – dangerous – even a narrow minded, repressive violation of human / civil rights, etc., etc. So, more than likely, the former students who were interviewed for this study had a tremendous advantage in how their mindsets were established when they were young over students in more recent times.

The study has some good merits about it, but making good grades in the modern school is in many ways a contradictory experience to making good grades in the schools of the late fifties. Citing some ideas that G. H. Mead expressed in the early 1900’s I would conclude that creative intelligence has the responsibility of transforming the novelty of emergence and the fatality of mere repetition into a measure at least of meaningful development. In this respect it brings to articulate and self conscious expression the pervasive form of natural process. It then should become the desire of true creative intelligence to discover and implement the knowledge of what constitutes good health in the human condition. Or to use the words of Don Quixote as he witnessed to Sancho Panza, "I say also, that when a painter would become rare and excellent in his art, he procures to imitate the most singular masters of his science; and this very rule runs current throughout all other trades and exercises of account which serve to adorn a well disposed commonwealth." ( Cervantes ). I think the wise person will make a concerted effort to discover the miracles of good health and disregard the prejudicial rebukes against such knowledge in the modern world, and there you will find your healthy generations of the future.
  • VoodooDemon 2010/12/13 15:57:12
    VoodooDemon
    I got mostly As and Bs in 9th grade, Bs and Cs in 10th and first semester of 11th, and As and Bs in second semester of 11th grade. I'm currently a senior and I have mostly As (and one B).
  • bonehead15329 2010/12/13 15:55:09
    Yes, I got mostly As
    bonehead15329
    Almost straight A's, but if there had been a "Social Skills" class I would have flunked it for sure. Hahaha!
  • harry 2010/12/13 15:17:51
    harry
    I was the smartest one in the dumb group. Which is why I have remained so young looking and why the girls chase me. Yes, I am pretty handsum and a terrible speller
  • rcastleberry 2010/12/13 15:07:56
    No, I was a B student
    rcastleberry
    i am a b a student
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2010/12/13 14:31:17
  • bonehea... Chris -... 2010/12/13 15:51:40
    bonehead15329
    +1
    I just had a good laugh. We have more in common than I thought! I also got almost straight A's all the way through high school, and I had one solitary teacher (German class) who hated me and kept me out of the NHS every year. Thank you too Mrs. "Frau" Kohl! I should have taken four years of Spanish instead! At least that would have been useful in the real world.
  • Chris -... bonehea... 2010/12/13 16:01:59
  • postmamy 2010/12/13 13:31:55
    postmamy
    I was silly
    and dummy
  • DeafGary 2010/12/13 12:30:52
    No, I was a C student
    DeafGary
    I was a C average because Meningitis, along with a coma and high fever, destroyed my intellectual prowess (I was a Straight A student, in the fourth grade - without studying - prior to Meningitis).
    I suffered brain damage in Mathematics and had to cheat to pass Algebra and Geometry.
    However, I remained a star in the sciences and English...I did well enough in History, so I came out with a high "C" average.
  • DeafGary DeafGary 2010/12/13 12:35:13
    DeafGary
    Not only that...I was misplaced -- this was in the mid-to late 70's, when they were still beginning to mainstream Deaf kids. Deafness made it impossible for me to understand what was going on, in the majority of my classes and, because, at the time, they said all I needed to do was lipread (try it...it's not the cakewalk, all the hearing people assume it is).

I had a science teacher, who wrote all his notes on an overhead projector and that helped me a lot!! A biology teacher wrote all her notes on the blackboard and I was able to make straight A's, in both those classes.

My problems, other than Math, were in the classes, where the teacher was lecturing and i had no idea what he/she was talking about was straight out of the book (didn't realize that until I was 23 years old).
  • Ko 2010/12/13 10:38:38
    Yes, I got mostly As
    Ko
    I was a good student and value education and knowlege very much. It is one way to human improvement and a good life.
  • sue 2010/12/13 09:50:56
    Yes, I got mostly As
    sue
    I think the correlation is strong. But the causality may work both ways. Healthier kids learn better. Those who have healthy eating and sleeping patterns learn better. Kids with stronger immune systems miss less school. So it may be because they were healthier that they got better grades, and then they continue their health habits later in life.
  • LilMissManners 2010/12/13 07:33:17
    Yes, I got mostly As
    LilMissManners
    Yep, I was a smarty pants :)

2014/10/25 03:45:25