Did Video Game Addiction Cause a Teen to Kill?

Christine Lusey 2011/07/22 19:00:00
Daniel Petric was 16 when he shot his parents, killing his mother and seriously wounding his father. Now Petric’s father is warning parents about what he thinks inspired his son’s rage: video games.

Petric's parents forbid him from playing the game “Halo 3” in their home and, after learning he’d been sneaking out to play with friends, they took it from him and locked it away. Furious, the teen shot his parents and stole their car, taking the game with him.

Defense attorneys argued that Petric's youth and addiction to the game "Halo 3" made him less responsible for the shooting. They say he often played video games 18 hours a day with little food or sleep. They say he may have been so obsessed with the game, where players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth, that he didn't think death was real.

"The playing of the video games and the reality of shooting somebody in his case was blinded, it was merged," defense attorney James Kersey told the court. "He had no thoughts during this process. During this time, he was blinded that his parents might be dead, that they might never come back."

"His addiction was so strong, was running rampant in a tired, exhausted young man, that anybody or anything that stood between him playing the video game and not having his way was in peril," Kersey added.

Daniel’s father, Pastor Mark Petric, was interviewed recently with Phil Chalmers, author of 2009’s "Inside the Mind of a Teen Killer." Chalmers claims that Daniel’s depression combined with "an obsession with violent media/video games” led to the tragic shootings.

Chalmers is in the minority, however, as most studies now show that the supposed link between violent video games and real crime is basically non-existent. In fact, some experts claim the games actually reduce hostility.

Daniel is serving 23 years to life in prison for his crime.

Read More: http://www.wtkr.com/news/wjw-pastor-petric-video-g...

• Ben 2011/07/22 20:33:58
    Ben
    +68
    If you clicked "yes," you should never be permitted to watch television, go to the movies, play video games, read books, or talk to other people. You should live in a hole where no outside influence can get into that sponge where a brain should be.

• Samiam Pearl 2011/07/27 03:10:08
    Samiam
    I jerk off a lot and have sex with my wife two to three times a week.

Will I become a porn star???

My friend in Grade school was not allowed to play Super Mario Bros because apparently the slaughter of poor defenseless mushrooms and bouncing turtle shells will turn you into a psychopath....... Experience Reality MUCH ????

Everything in life is all about balance....little bit of this little bit of that....
    Give your kids lots and lots of food...guess what ...fatties!!!!
    Let them stay up late all the time.....parent -teacher conference coming up soon..!!
    Let the kids beat on each other and don't intervene.....violent tendencies soon to come!!!!

HERE'S AN IDEA !!! BE A PARENT...TEACH THEM RIGHT FROM WRONG...USE COMMON SENSE.....DISCIPLINE....USE A BALANCE OF STRICTNESS ALONG WITH UNDERSTANDING AND PATIENCE!!!
  • Pearl Pearl 2013/04/12 10:07:56
    Pearl
    I agree with Pearl. children to spend time doing positive things. children don't understand the difference between reality and make believe. when they watch a lot of negative things they begin to emulate what they see in real life.
  • TyroneLengert 2011/07/26 20:59:04
  • corkymoo 2011/07/26 20:44:26
    corkymoo
    The consensus seems to be that for certain individuals some of the time intense media watching can be a mitigating factor. Its obvious that HE pulled the trigger. If there was a break in reality perception that strong in this individual. Then the parents should have noticed it and done something before this happened. He handed the gun to his father to defer blame, what does that tell you.... I do not think he had very large break in reality perception. CorkyMoo.com
  • T Bevan 2011/07/26 20:33:42
    T Bevan
    Me , I do not think they are an , "addiction" nor a way to be driven to "kill"...

It is the same with anything , too much can create problems for all...

It is to bad that parents have given the job of watching the kids (baby sitting) to the television... You know thise As6 Holes that write for TV? Most are a bubble off plumb... That is the examples that the kids are raised under...

Hummm , sound like something is wrong here?
  • jokeriser 2011/07/26 19:48:13
    jokeriser
    he is just crazy
  • Pee,wee 2011/07/26 19:45:10
    Pee,wee
    ooopsss I meant to press NO NO NO NO NO
  • Sunny 2011/07/26 19:33:01
    Sunny
    It is a poor excuse that tends to work.
  • Knight Owl 2011/07/26 19:29:35
    Knight Owl
    +1
    DON"T care what anyone says! It is the moral and psychological makeup of the individual in question not what a toy TELLS you to do!
  • JimTheGeek 2011/07/26 19:27:49
    JimTheGeek
    +1
    There was a predisposition for crime in his personality. The video game did nothing to help him control it, but it probably did little to add to it.
  • ELSD 2011/07/26 19:22:23 (edited)
    ELSD
    +1
    That is a cop-out. The kid did it because he god mad at his parents for some reason or another, probabally because they told him "no" for something, and he decided that he could make his own decisions, and did. Now the consequences are what he is facing, and he is looking for the liberals to hugg him and save him from the big bad law. No video game can make you DO anything, it was his decision. These days kids think that they deserve everything, and they act like spoilt brats...and they are because parents permit the stuff to happen!
  • Chaika 2011/07/26 19:21:57
    Chaika
    +1
    I feel for some kids this could lead to acts of violence and even killing.why do we need to Glorify Killing with such Video games? and its obvious in as much as this case it caused him to react in a very violent way.
  • nami 2011/07/26 19:14:03
    nami
    +1
    for every one person who commits a violent crime after playing videogames there are many millions more who don't commit violent crimes after playing violent videogames. violent videogames should not be used as a scapegoat for every one who commits murder.
  • mary E 2011/07/26 19:13:23
    mary E
    Probably not, unless there was already some underlying mental problem. Still, I do think that "trash in, trash out." Spending hours watching content that displays killing after killing has to desensitize one to death.
  • rcardon 2011/07/26 19:11:12
    rcardon
    He killed his parents because he was angry and hadn't been taught to properly express and control that anger. Period. Playing violent video games does not, necessarily make a person more violent, or more likely to commit murder. Anyone who says they do, never played them.
  • UnclePoop 2011/07/26 19:11:07
  • LucasNaza 2011/07/26 19:08:37
  • shag 2011/07/26 19:01:39
    shag
    They play these games and look at too much bad TV and they go out and do these things. There is one new show on TV now that they are really imitating. There have been several bold stick ups in one neighorhood and it all came form episodes of a particular show.i
  • BlakeDe... shag 2011/07/26 21:41:20
    BlakeDeckard
    I see where you coming from but your simply blind. The media is always publicizing killings and crime with no answer behind why they really did it. So with natural human instinct we blame it on something, no matter how silly it is. They see someone on the news who, say watches quote on quote "bad" television. The police and media decide to blame it on that, when the real problem is that the teenage in this case, or any other probably had a hard time fitting in and dealing with problems between him and his parents (which should have been dealt with before something like this happened) and used the game as an outlet. They took his only outlet and he simply snapped.
  • timothy.mcswain 2011/07/26 18:48:44
    timothy.mcswain
    +2
    His decision to kill caused him to kill. When did we start blaming everyone or everything else for our decisions. Whether good or bad, we make decisions. Isn't it crazy that when we make good decisions, we are always ready to take full responsibility, but when we make bad decsions, it's someone or something else's fault. He decided to shoot his parents, the video game did not make him do it.
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/07/26 18:46:41
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Parents making excuses for lack of parenting.
  • Sheled Umlal 2011/07/26 18:44:43
    Sheled Umlal
    +2
    Hmm... Can we get Ken Ichijouji from Digimon on the jury please?
  • Boss 2011/07/26 18:40:56
    Boss
    in some instances??? YES!!...killing has become so.....nothing....movies, tv, video games...all violence and death..any wonder??
  • Meljahun 2011/07/26 18:35:03
    Meljahun
    In his case maybe. But this is a isolated crime.
  • musicman95 2011/07/26 18:26:31
    musicman95
    +1
    Hell no... Dumbass
  • D'eath 2011/07/26 18:22:30
    D'eath
    +2
    Playing games did not make this creep a murderer, there are thousands of people playing these games who do not become murderers. This piece of refuse would have done something eaqualy sickening with or without this type of game. on the other hand why do we need this type of "game"

His addiction to playing these games was just a symptom of his evil intentions.
  • doodle ... D'eath 2011/07/26 19:07:54
    doodle BN-0
    True that. I have played games my entire life, and I literally cannot bring myself to hurt even a fly. Fleas, though... Hate em. I kill every single one I see. "STOP GETTING IN MY FOOD!" Sorry.. what was I talking about?
  • Moon 2011/07/26 18:14:41
    Moon
    +2
    Give me a break! Since when were people taught not to take responsibility for their own actions? The kid made a choice period; stop trying to blame everything and everyone else for his screw up.
  • spinner 2011/07/26 17:39:03
    spinner
    +3
    If one can be swayed by a video game, there are more problems that need to be addressed than Grand Theft Auto. I'm sure his lawyer came up with this to make him seem sympathetic and less in control of his own actions. That's what's wrong with our society. We want to be able to act in any manner without consequences to our actions.
  • Chandra 2011/07/26 17:33:34
    Chandra
    I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack, but some people after playing video games for too long have trouble distinguishing between reality and fantasy. It's a sad. Those people need to get out more.
  • Jessica Gutierrez 2011/07/26 17:27:22
    Jessica Gutierrez
    +3
    Hell NO! Your Kid is just plain STUPID, My 5 and 7 year old always plays the game i dont see them shooting us, If you allow a kid to play 18 hrs a day with no food or sleep, i am glad he shot you for being stupid!
  • jakaro 2011/07/26 17:25:43
    jakaro
    I actually have no opinion whatsoever.I didn't know Daniel and can't honestly say yes or no.I play resident evil and have never killed anyone but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.Maybe you should ask daniel, or regress him hypnotically.
  • Sharon Clawson 2011/07/26 17:03:29
    Sharon Clawson
    +1
    Why did I click yes? I have my theory on violent videogame. Because if some of you played some games when there violent it does stay in the mind. And sometime you play for so long that it does become part of you and you get blinded from reality. And fantasy is all in you mind. And kids don't have the concept what is real and fake until it's too late. I don't think games should all disppear but I think it should have a better warning label or rating. Saying that if you played this game be careful of disturbing image might not be suited for younger kids and teens. But what can say I? Parent are the ones who buy the game for their kids to play. And they share with other kids the games. If your kid who is not of the age to played that certain game then don't buy it unless you want to play for yourself.
  • ADRIA 2011/07/26 16:40:44
    ADRIA
    +1
    Silly!! He was messed in his head!
  • Sadisticon 2011/07/26 16:30:46
    Sadisticon
    +2
    I call shenanigans on the lawyers trying to get a client off. Here's a poll for you: how many parents have been killed by their children when they forbade them from seeing a particular boy? Is that number greater than or less than the number of parents killed by offspring who they deprived of a toy or video game? What rubbish!
  • Ms. Macabre 2011/07/26 16:21:29
    Ms. Macabre
    +2
    The kid is just crazy. Video games aren't responsible for madness.
  • Jackie 2011/07/26 16:19:09
    Jackie
    +1
    Perhaps extra incentive if you were already headed there.But not a direct factor.
  • mklprc 2011/07/26 16:02:30
    mklprc
    +2
    As you cited, no link between games and crime exists beyond random chance. What is more certain is the link between mental illness and being raised in an oppressively religious environment. Gaming was one of his few escapes. Psycho parents didn't deserve to be killed, but they did deserve to lose their kid.

Amazing but not unbelievable how many unfortunate incidents trace back to religious fanaticism.
  • morrisonist 2011/07/26 15:46:02
    morrisonist
    +1
    his depravity did
  • Vallace Riesbyfe 2011/07/26 15:45:53
    Vallace Riesbyfe
    +2
    Video games don't lead, nor prepare people to kill. I play FPS and fighters competitively to earn some cash and the side, and not even playing the video game against the computer will prepare you or make it any easier to play against real people on the same game, let alone face someone in reality. Comic books and rock music were blamed long ago and no correlations were found, now it seems parents need another scapegoat to use to excuse their bad parenting.

2014/09/21 00:15:51